• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

Shifty

I was kinda meh on it after the amiibo bollocks buuuuut... Impulse bought. Metroid 2 was my first Metroid game, I can't not.

It'll be interesting playing two Metroid 2 remakes within a year. Let's see how this stacks up against AM2R.

Nice OP by the way OP, every thread should have that great big "TALK ABOUT THE TOPIC PLEASE CHEERS" disclaimer to ward off rabbling.

IbukiLordSA

Looks like it has been delayed on my side till next week Wednesday, honestly the supplier for Nintendo products here is so damn useless, I understand they don't have many games to distribute so they aren't as clued up as others but still just learn and organize correctly.

I've played twenty minutes, so far it's been very emotional for me, haha. The way Samus moves, the way the game looks, the atmosphere and sounds, its hit the right chords for me. I've been begging for this game for years and now I finally have it. I'm not used to the counter move yet though, I'm still going into these rooms guns a blazing and getting nailed for it.

big_z

A photo of the room itself may help. There must be a secret passage in the left walls. You tried the scan pulse?

the part you enter is out of sight so the pulse scan doesn't really help in that room.

Um, don't you just enter that room from the right? It looks like you already explored it, too...?

turns out there are two ways in. the way I had tried is a dead end/exit.

I remember that one. There a missile block to get in, and you freeze a guy to jump up there.

thank you thats the solution. thats a tricky ass jump to do though.

Target cancelled my SE order. (They gave me a gift card at least.)

Just placed an order with Fry's earlier today. Here's hoping they come through.

So far it's hitting the right notes in terms of atmosphere, music, and the shooting mechanics. I like the fluidity of free aim, and counter attacks are easy to adjust to. My main gripes are that it's 30 FPS with some drops and that using the nub for aiming is cramping the fuck out of my thumb, combined with how the button layout is set up.

big_z

So far it's hitting the right notes in terms of atmosphere, music, and the shooting mechanics. I like the fluidity of free aim, and counter attacks are easy to adjust to. My main gripes are that it's 30 FPS with some drops and that using the nub for aiming is cramping the fuck out of my thumb, combined with how the button layout is set up.

but just think by the time you finish the game your hand will be permanently cramped into the shape of a Metroid!

how is the quality of the 3d effects in the game? i'm debating between getting it for my japanese 3ds and having to wait a few days or my english 2ds and playing it now (and getting to binge on it over the weekend). worth it?
I have the original 3DS and I'm divided on the 3D effect. On one hand, the depth really makes it seem like Metroid Prime 1 in 2D, as if I'm traveling through the Metroid Prime world but in 2D and it's fantastic. On the other hand, the sweet spot for the 3D effect seems to be far more precise than any other game I've played and it becomes irritating. The image instantly becomes distorted with the slightest movement away from the sweet spot; you even see three Samus every time when you die. I hate to not play it on 3D though, but it is annoying and hurts your eyes.

Enjoying this a lot so far. Holding L for Free Aim and holding R to toggle missiles/special weapon are two very welcome quality of life updates, IMO. It feels fast and snappy like I expect from 2D Metroid. The counterattack is awesome -- it's something I never thought about in terms of Metroid, but now that it's here, I like it a lot.

I never played the original Metroid 2 so I don't actually know how to directly compare this, but this feels like a great contemporary 2D Metroid game. I kind of hope they make more, though I'd personally prefer to see Mercury Stream and Nintendo make the jump to the Switch for the next one. The 3DS is still putting out good visuals considering the platform's limitations, but I haven't played my 3DS since Pokemon Sun/Moon came out last year and I feel like adjusting back down to its fidelity has been a bit jarring for me personally.

Demoli

Chozo Memories spoilers:

Holy shit these chozo are Space Pirate iter.

"Oh No we created a species that is gonna engulf us all!"

"Lets create an even more powerful oen to devour them!"

"Oh no it's evolving!"

DELICIOUS CANDY

how is the quality of the 3d effects in the game? i'm debating between getting it for my japanese 3ds and having to wait a few days or my english 2ds and playing it now (and getting to binge on it over the weekend). worth it?

Pretty cool actually. This is one of those times when I'm glad I upgraded to N3DS and it's stable 3D.

TheMoon

I thought it was mutually agreed to not go with Other M for the OT title? And I loved that commercial too. Just seems bad taste.

It's only that if you want it to be. It's Shakespeare first and foremost. So you're saying Shakespeare is bad taste. ;)

PS: we only agreed on bad OM references. This is my masterpiece. :D

Bauer91

If I didn't know I'd say this game was running at 60fps, it really feels buttery smooth.

I wish this was the case on the regular 3DS/XL/2DS, mostly in the second half of the game when it becomes really jarring. Performance is my biggest issue with this game, like with Pokemon Sun and Moon. They just doesn't run that well on old hardware and it's not what I'm used to from Nintendo games.

Unlike in Pokemon, your reactions need to be quick in Metroid so it actually affects gameplay, too.

Currently stuck at a late game boss that destroyed me four or five times already. Pretty hard, but that battle in particular is the best boss encounter so far.

Pila

Not happy about having lunch with my coworkers today >< I'd rather drive home and play a little. Oh well, gonna play this A LOT sunday.

Teknoman

Im still debating whether that CD is necessary. Maybe I should just spend my money on the amiibo.

Also Paintroid shirt, black or red?

KayMote

Only 4 Metroids left to kill and I have just scratched the 10 hour mark with around 50 % of items. Boss battles are getting harder and harder now! It's also great how powerful you feel now - if you compare it to the first hours of the game the sense of progression is really palpable!
I also wonder if there are multiple endings of the game. I guess so this being a true Metroid game. I'm already looking forward to the first speedruns!

13ruce

Banned
Im still debating whether that CD is necessary. Maybe I should just spend my money on the amiibo.

Also Paintroid shirt, black or red?

Get the Amiibo and listen the music on spotify or download it youtube videoconverters are not illegal unless you share the downloaded content.

And about the shirt red looks more awesome black is such a overused clothing colour imo so red is more unique.

RagnarokX

Chozo Memories spoilers:

Holy shit these chozo are Space Pirate iter.

"Oh No we created a species that is gonna engulf us all!"

"Lets create an even more powerful oen to devour them!"

"Oh no it's evolving!"

DELICIOUS CANDY

The Chozo did not create the X.

I really wish that this was on the Switch.

Not for any reasons like better resolution or frame rate or that, but because the N3DS XL is so cramp inducingly awful to play with that I've had to take a bit of a break. I feel like so much would be rectified if I could just swap the L and R buttons, but there's no option to do so.

Fun game otherwise. Glad that infinite bomb jump is in and so easy to do, but now it already seems to be kind of redundant now that I've got the Spider Ball and Ice Beam so early in. At this rate I'll end up getting the Screw Attack and Space Jump within the hour.

Clocked 1:30 so far and am absolutely loving it. I've got three Metroids down and am really starting to get the hang of controlling Samus again. I'm also a little lost, which excites me even more. Metroid is fucking back!

My hand is cramping a bit though, I forgot how uncomfortable the 3ds can be. I've been spoiled by using my Switch Pro Controller.

I played through Zero Mission about a month ago, and I plan on going through Super Metroid when my SNES classic comes in. I think I'll top it off by playing Fusion after. It's amazing that I can play through the series chronologically now and not have to worry about anything feeling dated as Metroid 3 & 4 are timeless.

13ruce

Banned
RhvgLqT.jpg

don't mind the mess
Edit: lol game is translated to Dutch!?
Damn Nintendo sure puts in some effort in language support these days.

LeonSPBR

Im stuck, I need one more Metroid for this area but cant figure out how to get into the room its hanging out in. You can see it in the picture below, the Metroid with the circle around it is where im trying to get to (well the room to the left of that). Anyone able to help?

ypPuoK8.jpg

Need to freeze an enemy and then you jump on it. After that you need to use missile to open the path.

Also when you going to freeze the enemy, use the charge version of it, that way the enemy stays frozen for more time.

Bauer91

Screw this boss when you have 4 Metroid left to find.

He's defeated me 20 times at this point, just missing that last hit every time. Can't do it.

Finally. That boss fight went from being amazing to frustrating,
because quickly getting in and out of morph ball mode on a circle pad while the frame rate takes a nosedive wasn't easy to pull off.

13ruce

Banned
Damn this game is pretty darn unforgiving on normal mode already holy shit. Pretty cool to have a difficult Nintendo game again right from the bat.

Btw played the Mirror of Fates demo again for comparison and damn it's insane howmuch better Samus Returns plays. MoF is clunky and slow and Returns is fast paced and fluid.

Alrus

This game is glorious so far. Just finished the 2nd area and it's just great fun. Spider morph ball controls are a bit hand crampy though.

Also this is going to be a nightmare to speedrun what with Metroids randomly deciding if they're going to do a counterable attack or not.

I wish this was the case on the regular 3DS/XL/2DS, mostly in the second half of the game when it becomes really jarring. Performance is my biggest issue with this game, like with Pokemon Sun and Moon. They just doesn't run that well on old hardware and it's not what I'm used to from Nintendo games.

Unlike in Pokemon, your reactions need to be quick in Metroid so it actually affects gameplay, too.

Currently stuck at a late game boss that destroyed me four or five times already. Pretty hard, but that battle in particular is the best boss encounter so far.
That's a little worrying as I have a 2DS and really don't want to put up with frame drops at 30 fps in a metroid game, ugh.

Laws00

I take back what I said about this game.

I think I may buy it today.....and the amiibos too.....

god im disgusting

Can I just walk into a store (bestbuy and toysrus) when it opens and pick up a collectors limited edition? Or were they all preorder only? My eb games was sold out of the collectors on day one of preorders

muteki

May have gotten lucky and scored a in store pickup for the amiibo 2-pack at best buy if the picker can get to the shelf first.

Zutrax

Anyone else order off Amazon and have theirs say it won't arrive until Tuesday? Such a bummer, normally they bump up pre-orders to release day delivery, I was really looking forward to playing this weekend. I have no clue what dictates what is viable for release day and what isn't.

Laws00

Can I just walk into a store (bestbuy and toysrus) when it opens and pick up a collectors limited edition? Or were they all preorder only? My eb games was sold out of the collectors on day one of preorders

im going to try both.

my best buy and toys r us are usually good about having things. but im usually there when the stuff first gets put out lol

They look so good tho! Especially that squishy Metroid! The Samus one also is pretty darn badass.

I know but I talked so much crap. I thought the game was coming out early next year lol

Top Bottom