• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

Kookos

Just visited five different stores and none had Samus Returns in stock. I'm going to visit two more till I give up and download from eShop. :/

MrBadger

Can't wait until I can finally play this.

Based on the footage I've seen, it seems like the boss fights are designed more specifically around Samus's abilities, which I think is exciting. In the old Metroids, the bosses were more just about pummelling their weak spot with missiles/the weapon they're weak to, and hoping they die before you do.

Peltz

Can't wait until I can finally play this.

Based on the footage I've seen, it seems like the boss fights are designed more specifically around Samus's abilities, which I think is exciting. In the old Metroids, the bosses were more just about pummelling their weak spot with missiles/the weapon they're weak to, and hoping they die before you do.

Prime has more of what you're talking about. Sounds like they took some cues from that based on your description.

I haven't played it yet though. My copy is being delivered today.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Regular or SE? Amazon has yet to ship my copy despite saying they would, so I was thinking of cancelling my order and going digital, but if the regular version has a shiny case I'll just wait it out. I'm a sucker for that shit.

Regular.

It's not a shiny case, the cover is. Has some really good foil-ish look.

mjc

I wish they'd get another shot at Castlevania. I'm probably in the minority, but I absolutely loved the first Lords of Shadow and it's one of my favorite in the series.

EucIfYY.gif

Toys r us and bestbuy didn't even unpack the boxes yet...I had to go to eb games and they had both the game and amiibos!!! Cost me over $100 the amiibos ($40) cost almost as much as the game ($50)

Starting the game now!

Music is so good just jamming to the main menu lol

Such a long song...

3D is perfect. Love the music

I just went to the store and purchased a brand new 2D Metroid game.

whatyearisit.jpg

For real though, I'm ready to get in and tear up some Metroids, but need some sleep first.

So, how hard is the fusion mode? I'm pretty good at video game, love hard as fuck games, but i just want to be sure it's not too hardcore just for the sake of it! Is it well balanced?

Opa-Pa

Played till Iike 3am last night, haha, what a game. I'll try to look for the amiibo pack later after work... Hopefully I have some luck.

a harpy

I was able to snag the only amiibo pack at the only gamestop in town. Half luck and half persistence. I was there waiting for the doors to open.

Now the wait is killing me. I might not even be able to play today, yet I have it unopened next to me.

I hope everyone that can play has a blast! Reviews look great. It feels good for Samus to make her return.

XaosWolf

Ordered the LE from the official UK store on day 0 and it looks like they only shipped it today.

What in the fuck, Nintendo. >=|

NotLiquid

While I'm not going to post pictures of it here there's a really cool ZSS reference sheet in the art book that is probably my favorite depiction of her in any game yet. It maintains the iconic Zero Suit look she's had throughout the years but gives her some notable physique and avoids going into the prettied up Other M/SSB4 look she's had recently.

Zutrax

Was able to walk into Gamestop as it opened and snag a Samus New 3DS XL (despite already having a New 3DS XL, I have zero willpower) and the Amiibo set. I feel very lucky. Sadly my Amazon order says it won't arrive until Tuesday, so I'm a bit sad about that. I also missed out on the LE version, though I live in North America so I'm not too heart broken about not getting our barebones version of it.

DeathPeak

They had the Special Edition and amiibo pack at Target. Went at opening. I was the only one there for it. As I was walking to the electronics section from the doors, there were 2 other people rushing in the same direction. Turns out they were heading to the Hot Wheels, haha. Best Buy's site said they have some, but I didn't feel like waiting another 2 hours.

KingBroly

Banned
I've played about 90 minutes or so, so here are some first impressions.

- Melee Counter is ridiculously easy to do successfully. Whoever out there in Reviewer land thought 'hey, this is super hard to do' must be really bad at timing mechanics.

- I think the whole 'holding L to free aim' can get a bit discombobulating sometimes. It's not bad, but I am fumbling a bit with it.

- Samus doesn't have a standing idle animation. Sigh...but I do love the crouching animation. Running animation with her Arm cannon down but not firing = Best animation

- The 3D is really intense, so it kinda hurts my already terrible eyesight.

- I'm using the Scan Pulse more than I thought I would.

- I feel like breakable blocks, regenerate a bit too fast

Samus has a new scourge: AIR VENTS

Rizzi

I'm a bit concerned that the counter is going to make things a bit easier than I'd like. Anyone later in the game have any thoughts?

Oidisco

So Kenji Yamamoto and Minako Hamano weren't actually the composers for this game, but instead it was Daisuke Matsuoka. Yamamoto and Hamano were probably just the supervisors

KayMote

I'm a bit concerned that the counter is going to make things a bit easier than I'd like. Anyone later in the game have any thoughts?

Hm, I don't think this is a problem at all. Enemies in this game can be very tough and enduring and even one hit can actually make you lose TONS of energy sometimes, so I'm grateful for every free hit. In the later game you are powerful as fuck so fighting normal enemies isn't a problem (as it should be for the proper sense of progression), but holy crap at those bosses!

Edit: Never mind - I thought you were tallking about the counter attack :D

I'm fighting a late game boss right now and even after half an hour I haven't been able to beat it. This thing is tough and I can only imagine how hard mode is gonna look like - I'm already shivering! This might be the hardest 2D Metroid, yet.

Egida

Neo Member
Finally started playing this. Loving it so far. The free aim feels just right. So does the enemies launching bloodthirsty at you.

I think we have a new staple upon which base futures 2D games.

Odds of finding a physical copy in a store, like Target or Best Buy?

I was able to order one on Best Buy's website for in store pick up this morning as I had to apply some rewards points to it without issue.

I am still bummed NA got such a crappy SE. I skipped it and just went with the regular edition since importing won't do much because of the region lock.

Producer

just got the game a while back and played a bit. so far its pretty solid but the game definately could have added alternate control schemes and should have used the extra buttons on new 3ds. So far that i know you can move around the map in the pause screen with the c stick but thats about it. The ZL and ZR buttons could have been real useful.

BorntoPlay

Amazon.com rep response about special edition & amiibos...

Inventory team has informed me that this item will surely come in stock with amazon very soon. I would suggest you to add the item to Saved for later list and a pop up on your home screen will be there once the item gets in stock with amazon.

sanstesy

So Kenji Yamamoto and Minako Hamano weren't actually the composers for this game, but instead it was Daisuke Matsuoka. Yamamoto and Hamano were probably just the supervisors

He did an amazing job if so. I was worried after people said the soundtrack is underwhelming and only "boring ambiance" but this is the best Metroid soundtrack since the first Prime. In terms of pure sound backdrop cohesiveness this may be the best Metroid yet.

This
is
pure
Sci-fi.
Jesus.

Plus
this.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Some of the tracks are so Yamamoto it hurts though. The opening with Samus's ship is straight out of Prime 2

Edit: Y'all careful about spoilers best avoid Youtubing the OST until you beat the game, by the way.

TheMoon

Ah, someone who hasn't read the OP. :D

->>>

The music has been rearranged by Daisuke Matsuoka who took themes from Super, Prime, and the original Metroid II and brought them more in line with the later Metroid titles under the direction of Metroid veterans Kenji Yamamoto and Minako Hamano.

Top Bottom