• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

dsc00013i3jd8.png

dsc000201rjrm.png

dsc00036vwkm6.png

dsc00039eukkw.png

dsc00032ypjoz.png

SR388, let's go.

im going to try both.

my best buy and toys r us are usually good about having things. but im usually there when the stuff first gets put out lol

I know but I talked so much crap. I thought the game was coming out early next year lol

Ok thanks for the reply. I will be heading out to hunt me a LE

hopefully I get the game lol I don't believe a game can sell out especially such a niche game and the amiibos!

Gonna get two metroids one to open and the other for display! My wallet is gonna be in a world of hurt...

I remember trying to finish the original on the original GB but got stuck and it was hard to see anything...

Anyone else order off Amazon and have theirs say it won't arrive until Tuesday? Such a bummer, normally they bump up pre-orders to release day delivery, I was really looking forward to playing this weekend. I have no clue what dictates what is viable for release day and what isn't.

This happened to me as well. Felt kind of pissed but I will be busy every night till Sunday. Still a shame I can't play it in between the tiny breaks I'll have today/tomorrow and will lose out the chance to play it on monday as well

FaintDeftone

Picking up my copy from Best Buy on my lunch break. Good thing I finished Destiny 2's story last night so I can commit more time to this.

Mark1

Wish this wasn't out so soon after moving out to a new house. This looks like such an ideal game to end the excellent life the 3DS has offered.

Amazing handheld with a fantastic lineup of games. Great to finally see Metroid is back.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Just grabbed my copy!

Never realized the cover is shiny/foil like.
Regular or SE? Amazon has yet to ship my copy despite saying they would, so I was thinking of cancelling my order and going digital, but if the regular version has a shiny case I'll just wait it out. I'm a sucker for that shit.

TheMoon

I need to stay away from this thread before you people have me buy a 3DS again.

Buy a 3DS. You know it's the only choice that makes any sense.

That said, 3D at 30FPS I don't recommend. Play with it off IMO.

Strongly disagree. 3D on is only way.

Regular or SE? Amazon has yet to ship my copy despite saying they would, so I was thinking of cancelling my order and going digital, but if the regular version has a shiny case I'll just wait it out. I'm a sucker for that shit.

SE.

Jetman

Samus (Metroid series): Unlocks an Aeion reserve tank which lets you refill your Aeion energy. Also unlocks a unique Metroid II Art Gallery after beating the game once.
Samus (Super Smash Bros. series): Unlocks a reserve Missle Tank. lso unlocks an additional in-game art gallery after beating the game once.

SIGH.

I knew about the difficulty mode, but is there no other way to access these without the amiibo's?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
How do I redeem the 3ds theme? Tried entering the code into the eshop and it says it has to be redeemed in game?

My 3ds broke earlier this year so the Samus edition of the new 3ds XL was a wonderful ecuse to upgrade. It just arrived along with my copy of Samus Returns and the Nintendo store UK T-Shirt. Just transferring over my old data (the old 3ds sort of works but the screen has become separated so its in two halves now. Not practical at all!) and then I can play!

Also spoiler alert: The Samus edition new 3ds is GORGEOUS. I've never owned a collectors version of a console before so this is quite a treat.

So I've never played a metroid game before. Is this a good one to start with?
Story Order

ZM->Prime 1-3->Samus Returns->Super->Other M-> Fusion

If you don't care about story/lore you can pretty much start anywhere. Seamus Returns explains what happens in ZM anyway and is recent so I you can play this

Laws00

Well toys r us an't even put the stuff out it or have it. Been here for like 6 minutes someone went to check for me

Was randomly getting interested in trying to find the amiibos in town, then realized I own a 3DS XL so I wouldn't even have a way to scan them in...

Think I'll pick it up digitally and play this weekend.

My copy and set of Amiibo are ready for me to pick up after work. So excited for this one! It will make for a nice last hurrah for my old launch 2DS that I picked up when X/Y came out :)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Story Order

ZM->Prime 1-3->Samus Returns->Super->Other M-> Fusion

If you don't care about story/lore you can pretty much start anywhere. Seamus Returns explains what happens in ZM anyway and is recent so I you can play this

Technically it's: Metroid -> Prime 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4

And: Metroid -> Samus Returns -> Super Metroid -> Fusion 0.5 (Other M) -> Fusion

Tanabe and Sakamoto do their own things, pretty much, it's kind of funny how the same franchise exists as two different, yet similar things and it's kinda silly Sakamoto doesn't care about the Prime games when he had to intervene and make sure his waifu looked more anime after Prime 1 tried a more realistic take on Samus.

It's kind of hilarious how easily Other M can be removed because Fusion hits all the same beats, except it does it SO much better. We don't need to know how Adam died exactly, so I hope future games keep it simple, Other M's biggest issue was over-explaining shit that didn't need explaining. Though I do think the whole "cloning shit off of Samus' suit" to be kind of funny, in a stupid way :p

t1gerjaw

Just finished it, great game.
BRING ON MORE METROID!

Tough as nails! Died a fuckton.
Only thing that I didn't love was the boss fights, some felt really unbalanced.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Thought the game looked rough visually in videos and pics, but in person it really does look kind of stunning. Nice 3D panorama effect too, a really strong final lap for the aging 3DS.

The control is tight and responsive and it was immediately comfortable from the moment I jumped off the ship. I am pretty much only using the touchscreen to activate ball-form, which really is more reliable than mashing down on the circle pad a couple times. (Why wasn't the scan option set to the touchscreen and ball put on A?)

I really need to play AM2R after this finally.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Top Bottom