• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

Saiyan-Rox

Got my copy just now and as luck would have it GAME had metroid amiibo back in stock when I checked there :D

Hate buying anything from GAME but no one else in the UK seen to have it

plc268

For those already playing, is there a way to change the controls so that I can use the D-pad to move? I hate using analog sticks/pads/etc for side scrollers.

Yea, I'm having trouble playing this game with the slide pad. On a regular analog stick, I think I'd be alright, but I just hate using the 3ds slide pad for this kind of game.

Synless

So I got the game and earlier this morning in the very early A.M. ordered the amiibo bundle only to see Best Buy tell me later today it's OOS... fucking Nintendo.

Z3M0G

one only needs to look at the OP.

Metroid Amiibo (Metroid series): Unlocks Metroid Marker, a tool to help you find nearby Metroids. Also unlocks Fusion Mode, which increases the difficulty and puts Samus in the suit she wore in Metroid Fusion after beating the game once. Fusion Mode is harder than Hard Mode.
Samus (Metroid series): Unlocks an Aeion reserve tank which lets you refill your Aeion energy. Also unlocks a unique Metroid II Art Gallery after beating the game once.
Samus (Super Smash Bros. series): Unlocks a reserve Missle Tank. Also unlocks an additional in-game art gallery after beating the game once.
Zero Suit Samus (Super Smash Bros. series: Unlocks a reserve Energy Tank. Also unlocks a selection of music after completing the game at least once.

I knew about the unlockable difficulty level... but jesus christ at those gameplay mechanics and buffs :/

I hope that without the Amibo, the game doesn't even acknowldege that these things exist, and make you feel like you are MISSING them... Like is that the 20th out of 20 energy tanks? Or the 21st?

I knew about the unlockable difficulty level... but jesus christ at those gameplay mechanics and buffs :/

The only one that's really helpful is the Energy Tank reserve for those boss battles

Missile tank expansions are abundant and the Aeion energy is easilly rechargable from every enemy you kill

And the Metroid locator isn't that interesting tbh

It's a bad move to lock them behind amiibo, but they're not essential to make the core game itself good
Which by the way, this game is really fucking good

Yea, I'm having trouble playing this game with the slide pad. On a regular analog stick, I think I'd be alright, but I just hate using the 3ds slide pad for this kind of game.

Wouldn't the dpad be a problem when manually aiming your weapon? Wouldn't think you would have the necessary precision to make it work well.

TheMoon

Wouldn't the dpad be a problem when manually aiming your weapon? Wouldn't think you would have the necessary precision to make it work well.

yea can't really aim in 360° with a d-pad :)

they could offer a toggle, though. diagonal aiming like in older games triggered by holding L.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

You can just go to the DNA-Shrine and it'll give you a marker too if you get stuck. But yeah the Amiibo shit is kind of ass in general. Hopefully not a trend

Z3M0G

The only one that's really helpful is the Energy Tank reserve for those boss battles

Missile tank expansions are abundant and the Aeion energy is easilly rechargable from every enemy you kill

And the Metroid locator isn't that interesting tbh

It's a bad move to lock them behind amiibo, but they're not essential to make the core game itself good
Which by the way, this game is really fucking good

Then I guess I just don't understand what "reserve" means here.

Razia

While I'm not going to post pictures of it here there's a really cool ZSS reference sheet in the art book that is probably my favorite depiction of her in any game yet. It maintains the iconic Zero Suit look she's had throughout the years but gives her some notable physique and avoids going into the prettied up Other M/SSB4 look she's had recently.

If it's the one I've seen posted elsewhere, it's just a western interpretation of her other m look, complete with heels. And her physique isn't really notable at all. Very trim, and no muscle tone.

Not that I ever minded that take on Samus, I was just baffled at her Other M characterization.

There's one thing I don't really like regarding 100%-ing the game

You need the Baby Metroid first then backtrack to earlier parts of the game in order to collect something like a missile tank

Chauzu

Played the first half hour now, and I must say, everything just feels right. Just let Mercury Steam become the 2D Metroid studio.

He did an amazing job if so. I was worried after people said the soundtrack is underwhelming and only "boring ambiance" but this is the best Metroid soundtrack since the first Prime. In terms of pure sound backdrop cohesiveness this may be the best Metroid yet.

This
is
pure
Sci-fi.
Jesus.

Plus
this.
Not clicking any of those, but the music I've heard in the game thus far has been pretty glorious. I legit started the game and let it sit at the title screen for a good-ish while.

Help me GAF!! I got it all....the Samus console, the amiibos and the game. No preorders...stores near me had it all.
I think I have Metroid fever....

SEND HELP

super duper ending spoilers:

Ridley's boss music takes more than a few samples from the Prime incarnations, so I think it's pretty safe to say that it's supposed to be some variation of Meta Ridley outright.

It also somehow retroactively makes Ridley, Samus, and the Baby Metroid bigger badasses - this is the first time Ridley's ever been the final boss, and as soon as he gets destroyed by Samus he immediately goes to Ceres to fight her again and successfully takes the baby.

Also, the Baby Metroid went out of its way to protect Samus and tried to eat Ridley, like, five minutes after hatching.

Just bought what seems like the last metroid amiibo bundle in the state of Mississippi...

All because I want that fusion mode. Congrats Nintendo you did it. Nostslgia'd me

Finished the game 100%.

I think my left hand is permanently damaged after that final boss. The 3DS is a legit health hazard holy crap.

Does this game require you to use the touch screen? I lost my stylus a very long time ago and I don't want to have to buy a new set of them since this will most likely be the last 3DS game I purchase.

I preordered the special edition from Gamestop for in store pickup since at the time of my order in June I couldn't find it anywhere else.

I'm supposed to get some sort of notification when it's ready for pickup but it's launch day and I got nothing. Fearing I'm going to get the old gamestop one-two punch when I show up after work later today.

Wish me luck.

Bauer91

It was a super fun fight though, gotta say!

It's really cool but it would be even more fun if played with a comfortable controller.

Still can't beat it, it's so long and your health gets reduced by large chunks.

Does this game require you to use the touch screen? I lost my stylus a very long time ago and I don't want to have to buy a new set of them since this will most likely be the last 3DS game I purchase.

You don't use the stylus at all.

MrNelson

Banned
So I got the game and earlier this morning in the very early A.M. ordered the amiibo bundle only to see Best Buy tell me later today it's OOS... fucking Nintendo.
You think that's bad. Try pre-ordering the amiibo pack the day it went up and have it get cancelled because it is "OOS" the day of release.

To say I'm livid is putting it lightly

Ordered the Amiibo from Toys R Us because I was an idiot and did not think of getting the pack. Went to get my System and LE with keychain from Gamestop and they had one non pre-ordered Metroid/Samus pack there so I nabbed it. I heard and felt the rage of the people behind me salvating to get that unclaimed amiibo pack.

I am hyped and excited. See you on the other side Metroid fans!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
It's a 3DS issue though. When the game needs you to quickly morph into a ball and you can't do it with the d-pad, it's far from ideal. Holding L and R so often is not comfortable for me either.

Tap your thumb on the screen real quick to morph ball. It's the most efficient method.

takriel

It's a 3DS issue though. When the game needs you to quickly morph into a ball and you can't do it with the d-pad, it's far from ideal. Holding L and R so often is not comfortable for me either.

Morph ball pro tip: Try touching the lower screen :)

Feffe

There's one thing I don't really like regarding 100%-ing the game

You need the Baby Metroid first then backtrack to earlier parts of the game in order to collect something like a missile tank
It's basically like Zero Mission, where you obtain the last power up literally in front of the final boss door... And then you decide to backtrack.

Nbz

yep definately should have offered that option. maybe we can hope for a patch

Absolutely, doesn't hurt to give people the option. Also the option to toggle Spider ball instead of having to hold down the goddamn L button and cramp the shit out of my hand

TheMoon

That's why you can tap the touch screen (general area where the map is) with your thumb instead and instantly go into morph ball.

fake edit: oh beaten :)

I've only had the game for a day, but I still giggle uncontrollably* every time I hear the iconic upgrade sound.

*but internally, b/c work

Opa-Pa

Man, I checked stock online for all nearby stores, and this one had 2 amiibo sets, so I rushed there after launch and I heard one of the cashiers say "this is the last one!" as he handed an amiibo set to a little boy, along with a standard copy of the game, he was probably 8 years old or so.

That was super frustrating, but the thought of a boy like him caring enough about a Metroid game to buy the amiibos too filled me with hope! I guess Nintendo's marketing was on point.

I also ordered a set online and it'll probably arrive around next Wednesday, so it's all good!

Man, I checked stock online for all nearby stores, and this one had 2 amiibo sets, so I rushed there after launch and I heard one of the cashiers say "this is the last one!" as he handed an amiibo set to a little boy, along with a standard copy of the game, he was probably 8 years old or so.

That was super frustrating, but the thought of a boy like him caring enough about a Metroid game to buy the amiibos too filled me with hope! I guess Nintendo's marketing was on point.

I also ordered a set online and it'll probably arrive around next Wednesday, so it's all good!

Little kids getting toys always is a hard pass not to be angry. It is awesome when I go to pick up a game and see a kid walking out with a game. Reminds me of me when I was that age.

North America- GAF,

So what's included in the game's LE? Just the soundtrack? Good list of tracks on there?

Wondering if I should go for it.

LE is the Soundtrack. It is all NA ever gets anymore is soundtracks. The list has been floating around the thread. I believe it is worth it if you love Metroid music.

Top Bottom