• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

Defect

I'm not sure what the story change is that you're talking about. How these SR388 Chozo died?
Adding Ridley to the end. Just felt unnecessary and I'm not sure how much time has passed between 2 and Super for him to come back in Ceres Station. I guess it's mostly me worrying that they'll remake Super and I don't want that to happen :p

RRockman

Banned
Adding Ridley to the end. Just felt unnecessary and I'm not sure how much time has passed between 2 and Super for him to come back in Ceres Station. I guess it's mostly me worrying that they'll remake Super and I don't want that to happen :p

But it
links prime to the 2d games and I'm all for that.

FiveSide

Banned
The
digger
(area 4 "spoiler")sequence is absolute bullshit, I hate it. I keep fucking up something and it's almost impossible to recover if you make a mistake.

Edit: Finally managed to do it, still frustrating. Never liked that kind of gameplay in any game.

I agree, this was the weakest sequence of the game for me. Never been a fan of auto-scrolling either. In fact I can't even think of a single implementation, in any series, where I enjoyed or even tolerated it.

Toxi

Banned
I think it was worth it for a badass boss battle.

KingBroly

Banned

I suppose it can be seen as a retcon because it means the last Metroid saved Samus' life 3 times over instead of twice. I'd also like to know why the damn thing flew towards Samus's ship at the end before Ridley came in.

Red

I can imagine a Super Metroid+ on Switch if Samus Returns does well. But I am sort of lost on how it could be improved, outside higher resolution graphics, widescreen, remastered sound. It still plays like a modern game. It doesn’t feel compromised in the way Metroid I and II were.

Toxi

Banned
I suppose it can be seen as a retcon because it means the last Metroid saved Samus' life 3 times over instead of twice. I'd also like to know why the damn thing flew towards Samus's ship at the end before Ridley came in.
Samus's ship looks cool. :p

People are already finding sequence breaks to let you skip high jump and spring ball.

Realeza

Banned
This game is fucking amazing. The moment you enter a lava area and Magmoor Cavers plays with all its intensity gives me flashbacks of Prime.

Defect

I think it was worth it for a badass boss battle.
It may just be my favorite Ridley battle! And those scenes with Samus were wonderful.

I even died quite a few times but I try to play 'classic' and only use the Aeion abilities if they are required.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just started, played til I got the
ice beam and spider ball
. Is this the game with the best 3D yet? Boy does it ever pop here.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Just started, played til I got the
ice beam and spider ball
. Is this the game with the best 3D yet? Boy does it ever pop here.

3DS 3D is so weird lol. For me the games with the best 3D is Ocarina of Time and Luigi's Mansion 2

Novocaine

Haven't read any of the thread yet because I'm still mid game. I just wanted to drop by and say that it makes me so happy that this exists.

So I'm trying to clean up all the areas and get all the expansions in area 1. There's just one I can't figure out. It's under a chozo statue and there's a spot that you can power bomb but under that there's a bunch of crystals. How do you get past that to get to the item? I know beyond that, there's a spot you can hit with a missile but can't find the way to get to that. I have all the abilities that you get once you get the
super bomb

Samus's ship looks like Samus, who it had imprinted on as its mother

Seems like the best explanation IMO.

So I'm trying to clean up all the areas and get all the expansions in area 1. There's just one I can't figure out. It's under a chozo statue and there's a spot that you can power bomb but under that there's a bunch of crystals. How do you get past that to get to the item? I know beyond that, there's a spot you can hit with a missile but can't find the way to get to that. I have all the abilities that you get once you get the
super bomb

If you played the original Metroid II or AM2R, you know the answer to this already.

super bomb

You're still lacking an ability. A few of the puzzles that involve those crystals can be solved in other ways, but afaik there's a few where you need the ability to destroy crystals.

If you played the original Metroid II or AM2R, you know the answer to this already.

Nope this is my first time ever playing metroid 2, especially a 2D metroid, looks like I'm still missing something.

You're still lacking an ability. A few of the puzzles that involve those crystals can be solved in other ways, but afaik there's a few where you need the ability to destroy crystals.

Ahh well I'll continue onward to area 7 then. Thanks

Oidisco

Just got 100%, really wish the Chozo Memories were integrated into the game itself rather just a menu option. I wonder if they were included really late into development.

Did that sequence in area 4 earlier.
Having a set piece segment like that pop up in the middle of your exploration game was reminiscent of the bell tower part from Mercury Steam's Mirror of Fate, wonder if this was more their idea.
Final section of it was a bit spotty but I'm a sucker for stuff like this.

mrkgoo

Lol I think I just read a spoiler I wasn't supposed to.

It's amazing how well this game plays, it's so freaking precise, I can't believe I'm enjoying playing with the circle pad I've despised in so many other games.

k91191

Grapple Beam

Thank you! That's what I was thinking. I've tried twice already, but I guess I've missed!

EDIT: I feel dumb. I was attempting to
grapple
while standing on the collapsing blocks with
slo-mo activated
, which was not working. Not sure why I didn't think to
grapple
while hanging from the ledge.

bart64

Banned
I'm really enjoying the how all the systems work together to encourage different tactics based on how much energy or aeon you have and how confident you are with meele attacks. The circle-pad aiming is a treat to me as I always found the old system too restrictive. You still get the tank feel having to dance around switching missiles and abilities but there is a bunch of new and interesting ways to attack.

13ruce

Banned

finally Ridley as a final boss tho and i kinda loved the fight was tense AF in my case, sure it makes little sense but whatever:p

Stopdoor

finally Ridley as a final boss tho and i kinda loved the fight was tense AF in my case, sure it makes little sense but whatever:p

Yeah as much as I think it's kind of goofy, I can't help but enjoy how intense the fight was and well animated.
I like to think of it as a what-if scenario because either way it doesn't add too much important story context.

Demoli

After getting a sub 4h time i think i'm done with the game for the week, i might try a sub 4 hard mode next.

Simply love this one

2D series for me atm is

Super>SR>Fusion>ZM>AM2R. If you told me a new 2d metroid was gonna be released by the mirror of fate dudes, and proceed to become my second favorite 2d troid i would have laughed in their faces.

man.... this
robot boss
is fucking lame.... the hitbox when you need to
climb his arms with the spider ball
is freaking bullshit, allways loose all my health on this

also the game is really good, but i still prefere AM2R

man.... this
robot boss
is fucking lame.... the hitbox when you need to
climb his arms with the spider ball
is freaking bullshit, allways loose all my health on this

also the game is really good, but i still prefere AM2R

You know you can always
slow down time with the Aeon abilities for more time to spiderball up the arms

Same thing applies to the robot sucking in morph ball bombs

You know you can always
slow down time with the Aeon abilities for more time to spiderball up the arms

Same thing applies to the robot sucking in morph ball bombs

ho yeah... i never use these abilites because it's way too easy with them (aside from the obligatory parts for exploration), so i forgot, lol

guess i'll have to do it for this boss at least (it's really only the part with the spider ball, everything else i can avoid reaaaaly easily)

I am stuck in Area 3 with 2 Metroids left and I dont know where to go. Most of the areas are locked off with stuff I dont have yet. Is there something I am missing?

I am stuck in Area 3 with 2 Metroids left and I dont know where to go. Most of the areas are locked off with stuff I dont have yet. Is there something I am missing?

you just probably didn't look well everywhere... i remember missing one metroid in this part, and there was just one door i hadn't visited, that i didn't saw, it even was on the map already

you just probably didn't look well everywhere... i remember missing one metroid in this part, and there was just one door i hadn't visited, that i didn't saw, it even was on the map already

I did, all the areas that lead to the bottom of Area 3 are locked off. It feels like I am missing a key item somehere.

Opa-Pa

Lol I've been watching my girlfriend play the beginning of this game on her OG3DS and framerate dips are fairly common... Looks like the game does get a performance boost on n3DS. That really sucks for OG3DS users :/

tesqui

Lol I've been watching my girlfriend play the beginning of this game on her OG3DS and framerate dips are fairly common... Looks like the game does get a performance boost on n3DS. That really sucks for OG3DS users :/

I'm playing on OG 2DS which I assume is the same hardware as OG 3DS, and frame drops have only rarely happened. I'm also locked to 2D though which maybe helps with performance a bit.

GeekyDad

haven't noticed any at all, other than the elevator/teleport load screens.

Top Bottom