• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

Doorman

The
digger
(area 4 "spoiler")sequence is absolute bullshit, I hate it. I keep fucking up something and it's almost impossible to recover if you make a mistake.

Edit: Finally managed to do it, still frustrating. Never liked that kind of gameplay in any game.

Yep yep. I've been enjoying most of my time with Samus Returns so far, but this segment right here commits one of my biggest cardinal sins of gaming. I get what they were going for but the implementation doesn't work very well and becomes exponentially more frustrating than it is exciting.

Opa-Pa

I'm playing on OG 2DS which I assume is the same hardware as OG 3DS, and frame drops have only rarely happened. I'm also locked to 2D though which maybe helps with performance a bit.

haven't noticed any at all, other than the elevator/teleport load screens.

Hmm, I got curious because another user mentioned drops earlier in the thread, and now my girlfriend told me she got drops during combat and it messed with her timing for parrying, so I watched her play she definitely got them consistently in two places in Area 1.

Maybe they get less frequent later? They lasted like 1 second too so there's that.

Yep yep. I've been enjoying most of my time with Samus Returns so far, but this segment right here commits one of my biggest cardinal sins of gaming. I get what they were going for but the implementation doesn't work very well and becomes exponentially more frustrating than it is exciting.
Disagree completely. If they had made that section more forgiving, there would have been no tension. A lot of the encounters in this game work well because even though they're initially frustrating, you eventually learn the patterns and when it all clicks together Samus really feels like the badass that she is. Diggernaut is a prime example.

pls help

Area 4 or 5, there's an item through a hallway with red spikes on both the floor and ceiling. The other side has a grapple spot to get through them but this doesn't.

GeekyDad

Hmm, I got curious because another user mentioned drops earlier in the thread, and now my girlfriend told me she got drops during combat and it messed with her timing for parrying, so I watched her play she definitely got them consistently in two places in Area 1.

Maybe they get less frequent later? They lasted like 1 second too so there's that.

Eh, it could just be me. I'm not really too sensitive to that sort of thing. Now, if it drops low, I'll notice it, but I can't really say I've had any issues. And I've been playing with the 3D halfway up the entire time, something I rarely do anymore on the system. But it's just so good.

Weiss

Banned
I don't think I'm feeling it.

Samus feels so weightless and takes so much damage, and actually stopping and aim feels awkward.

Probably doesn't help that I'm in Area 3 and I've only found three E-tanks so far.

Stopdoor

Disagree completely. If they had made that section more forgiving, there would have been no tension. A lot of the encounters in this game work well because even though they're initially frustrating, you eventually learn the patterns and when it all clicks together Samus really feels like the badass that she is. Diggernaut is a prime example.

This is actually true, I'm not a massive fan of the extra long boss fights but you really learn the patterns as you try again or fight Metroids over and over until you whittle it down to precision science and pull off that smooth operator feeling. It's good.

sonto340

pls help

Area 4 or 5, there's an item through a hallway with red spikes on both the floor and ceiling. The other side has a grapple spot to get through them but this doesn't.
You get an item near the end of the game that helps with this but it’s slightly unintuitive
Spoilers for how to do it:
its called spidersparking. Attack to a Wall woth spiderball, use a power bomb and the force will send you flying past the spikes. It’s the replacement for shinesparking I guess.

You get an item near the end of the game that helps with this but it’s slightly unintuitive
Spoilers for how to do it:
its called spidersparking. Attack to a Wall woth spiderball, use a power bomb and the force will send you flying past the spikes. It’s the replacement for shinesparking I guess.

Holy crap thank you. I don't think I would have ever thought of that on my own lol

MoonFrog

My 3DS is charging again (I thought it was healthy; I should've checked) but I've finally gotten and played some of the game. I'm on Area 2 iirc, and just
killed the Metroid after getting the Varia suit

I'm enjoying it so far. The counter hasn't felt as rote or as slow as it looked to me on stream. I mostly like it so far. I do feel that original flying enemy is getting a little overused though.

I like the Metroids. They hurt quite a bit and so far getting lucky with a counter opportunity showing up is an immense blessing. Perhaps too much so? Idk how I feel and I haven't fought very complicated Metroids yet.

Generally, though it is just nice to have a new Metroid and I've been enjoying the rooms, power ups, and the game flow so far.

Some other observations:

Samus looks a lot more obviously feminine than she has to me in previous games, particularly her hips and back. Usually she looks pretty gender-neutral in her suit in the games I've played. I keep using that modifier because I sort of assume this is an Other M thing and I haven't played that :p. Iirc Smash 4 also looked more obviously female to me and I think that's the Other M suit (?). Don't know how I feel about that, tbh.

And I mean that truly: I don't and I'm not just trying to suggest concern without explicitly stating such. I do think my niggling "they're adding sex to the suit!" concern is perhaps ridiculous and I think it might be a good thing to depict Samus as clearly female outside of game-overs and/or fanservice images.

The music is oddly a non-entity. Metroid has some of the best soundtracks of all time so I'm a bit weirded out tbh. But I saw (and, tbh, couldn't quite believe :p) mention of that in here so I'll leave that at that.

Oidisco

If they do bring back the counter, I hope they don't make it so powerful. It's too easy to pull off and it allows you to one-shot most enemies in the game.

I just got through Area 1 on Hard mode and I probably won't bother continuing. I'm not sure why I expected it to feel different from Normal mode. Oh well, I had a lot of fun with the game despite a few major flaws. Wasn't quite the grand return of the series that I was hoping for but that's ok, it didn't need to be. I think it sets a solid foundation for the next 2D Metroid.

Doorman

I think the fact that it's dropped on you as something of a surprise in the moment already does a decent job of creating that tension, but that segment goes on for a bit longer than it needs to and it reaches a point where the tension is replaced by "okay, this is bullshit" and then you're just trying to angrily get through it for the sake of it being over with.

Like, I agree with this:
This is actually true, I'm not a massive fan of the extra long boss fights but you really learn the patterns as you try again or fight Metroids over and over until you whittle it down to precision science and pull off that smooth operator feeling. It's good.

...And yes I'm fine with boss fights being tough and having you learn the patterns and whatnot...but that's not what the segment I'm referring to is about.

I haven't even reached the actual digger-bot boss fight itself yet, I'm speaking completely to the three rounds of "auto-scrolling wall of death" that the game decides to plunge you into out of nowhere. I generally hate this theme in any platformer it ever appears in and it's no different here, especially once you start throwing in shit like the dead-ends and crumble-floors that are all but guaranteed to cause you a death or two the first time you play this when you have to move too quickly to possibly anticipate some of the traps.
I haven't had an issue with the boss fights so far, but boss fights also don't
kill you the moment you make basically a single mistake
, so you have actual time to work out those patterns if you're careful. But this isn't learning patterns and crafting a strategy, it's mostly trial-and-error combined with quick reflexes. I'd almost say it's more akin to something like the Resident Evil 4/5/6 quicktime events.

jyoung188

Got my Samus Returns Amiibo in today, they look so much better than the Smash Samus and Zero Suit imo. Plus dat squishy metroid, so good!

This game is kicking my ass on normal can't imagine how challenging it is on Fusion mode.

I'm only in Area 3 but, god damn, I'm loving every minute so far. 360 aim is game changing and the counter is so satisfying. Going to 100% this for sure.

Astral Dog

My 3DS is charging again (I thought it was healthy; I should've checked) but I've finally gotten and played some of the game. I'm on Area 2 iirc, and just
killed the Metroid after getting the Varia suit

I'm enjoying it so far. The counter hasn't felt as rote or as slow as it looked to me on stream. I mostly like it so far. I do feel that original flying enemy is getting a little overused though.

I like the Metroids. They hurt quite a bit and so far getting lucky with a counter opportunity showing up is an immense blessing. Perhaps too much so? Idk how I feel and I haven't fought very complicated Metroids yet.

Generally, though it is just nice to have a new Metroid and I've been enjoying the rooms, power ups, and the game flow so far.

Some other observations:

Samus looks a lot more obviously feminine than she has to me in previous games, particularly her hips and back. Usually she looks pretty gender-neutral in her suit in the games I've played. I keep using that modifier because I sort of assume this is an Other M thing and I haven't played that :p. Iirc Smash 4 also looked more obviously female to me and I think that's the Other M suit (?). Don't know how I feel about that, tbh.

And I mean that truly: I don't and I'm not just trying to suggest concern without explicitly stating such. I do think my niggling "they're adding sex to the suit!" concern is perhaps ridiculous and I think it might be a good thing to depict Samus as clearly female outside of game-overs and/or fanservice images.

The music is oddly a non-entity. Metroid has some of the best soundtracks of all time so I'm a bit weirded out tbh. But I saw (and, tbh, couldn't quite believe :p) mention of that in here so I'll leave that at that.
Yes its rifuculous, there is nothing wrong with Varia Suit looking a bit more 'feminine' its not like add metal boobs ala Bayonetta.

MoonFrog

Yes its rifuculous, there is nothing wrong with Varia Suit looking a bit more 'feminine' its not like add metal boobs ala Bayonetta.
Yeah. Was thinking along these lines. It's not like it is actually 'sexed' up. And that's what gave me pause to my gut reaction. She just looks clearly like a woman, which is fine. And probably actually good. It sort of does away with the whole "surprise" thing and presents Samus as clearly a female character, i.e. undoes the dichotomy that sort of exists between Samus the player and Samus the "reward."

Things like the eyes in Prime or the text and game-over screens that indentify her as female have done this sort of thing before.

It is just I'm a bit defensive of Samus and Sakamoto's bringing out Samus "feminity" has largely been to assassinate her character with some ridiculous assumptions of what being Samus and being a woman means. But that's a forbidden topic for the thread per the OP.

Vee_One

I just picked up the Zero Suit Samus amiibo that gives you an extra energy tank.
Does it permanently give you an extra energy tank or is it a one use effect?

I just picked up the Zero Suit Samus amiibo that gives you an extra energy tank.
Does it permanently give you an extra energy tank or is it a one use effect?

It permanently gives you a reserve tank that can only be used if you lose all your life.

Energy stations are the only places you can replemish them.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So I'm on the "2nd level" of the game and have beaten all the Metroid except for one, I have the spider ball upgrade so I figured I would just use it to get over the wall and proceed, but the wall had that like honey substance that blocks me from going up it, no problem I actually use the spider ball near the entrance,ill just go over all of it. Nope designers thought of that too with a big patch of this honey looking substance but I feel like I've exhausted the area.
Can anyone offer me some hints or advice?

MoonFrog

So I'm on the "2nd level" of the game and have beaten all the Metroid except for one, I have the spider ball upgrade so I figured I would just use it to get over the wall and proceed, but the wall had that like honey substance that blocks me from going up it, no problem I actually use the spider ball near the entrance,ill just go over all of it. Nope designers thought of that too with a big patch of this honey looking substance but I feel like I've exhausted the area.
Can anyone offer me some hints or advice?

There's a spring ball ability in that level.

Or maybe I've got the wrong one? Are there air vents?

RagnarokX

But it
links prime to the 2d games and I'm all for that.
Not really.

Ridley augmenting himself with parts isn't necessarily a direct link to Meta Ridley, especially when the parts he's augmented with look nothing like Meta or Omega Ridley and instead look like he pulled parts from his Ridley Robot in Zero Mission: https://i.imgur.com/yqIXvk7.jpg

The green lights and pronged thing on his back are especially similar.

Another issue is that the intro implies Metroid 2 happens right after Zero Mission rather than months/years later. The Federation determined the Metroids to be a threat based on what happened on Zero Mission, and the intro makes it clear they don't have much experience with them. But Prime has the Federation dealing with metroids multiple times, including securing a baby metroid in Federation Force.

And as cool as he looks, Ridley showing up with metal parts is very problematic because Super Metroid only takes place like the day after Metroid 2 and Ridley's fully organic in Super.

Stopdoor

So I'm actually glitched at 99%, that's great lol.

gk3BWFl.png

This isn't my screenshot, but the item near the red dot here in Area 5, it shows as a circle while everything else in the game is a dot, but when I go to that area, the spot where the item would be is actually glitched - the first time while backtracking for 100% (not the very first time, I'm not sure if I'd picked it up during the initial run but it didn't register?), the spot in the wall where the item should be was empty, and the second time now I can just spiderball into the gap in the wall but the spot is actually indescructible.

So yeah, that sucks. The only reward is a gallery piece of art I can see online right?

Edit: I checked and I have 261 missiles, but GameFAQ posters are of course contradicting themselves if the max is 261 or 264.

Toxi

Banned
Not really.

Ridley augmenting himself with parts isn't necessarily a direct link to Meta Ridley, especially when the parts he's augmented with look nothing like Meta or Omega Ridley and instead look like he pulled parts from his Ridley Robot in Zero Mission: https://i.imgur.com/yqIXvk7.jpg

The green lights and pronged thing on his back are especially similar.
What are you even talking about?

The parts looks nothing like the Ridley robot. The arms are completely different, there's a tail and legs. The glass part on the top of the chest is completely missing. The only similarity is there are ports on the back, but the ports aren't even in the same alignment.

Not to mention Mecha Ridley was blown up.

The differences are even more clear if you look at the Samus Returns concept art of Ridley. This was not conceived as "Ridley stuck parts of Mecha Ridley on himself."

MoonFrog

There's also a
high jump in level 2
. Foxuzumuki if it wasn't the Metroid I was thinking about. I think both of those abilities are not tied to the vicinity of Metroids. At least the first one I mentioned wasn't.

RagnarokX

What are you even talking about

The parts looks nothing like the Ridley robot. The arms are completely different, there's a tail and legs.

I'm not saying he replaced his limbs with the parts whole. He chopped it up to make armor to augment his injured parts; or built new parts based on his work on Ridley Robot. The armor looks way closer to Ridley Robot than Meta Ridley's armor in Prime. It's even got the same zig-zag green stripe on his cheek and green lights at every joint.

BTW, did you notice he left behind an arm when he left SR388? Wonder if that will come up in the future.

ymgve

I've just gotten what I assume is the last upgrade
power bomb
but there are still some areas with red spikes on both sides that I don't know how to traverse. Is there some trick to this, or will I get something that helps with this later?

Toxi

Banned
I'm not saying he replaced his limbs with the parts whole. He chopped it up to make armor to augment his injured parts. The armor looks way closer to Ridley Robot than Meta Ridley's armor in Prime. It's even got the same zig-zag green stripe on his cheek and green lights at every joint.
Are you even looking at the image you posted? It's not the same beyond being a shade of green. Neither are the lights on the joints.

Again, the arms look completely different. The torso looks completely different. The parts on the head look completely different. The neck looks completely different.

And again, why would Ridley augment himself with parts from a half-finished robot that was at the center of a fucking nuke? Including parts that weren't on the robot in the first place?

Just finished the game today, wow!

I LOVED that the mole boss thing from fusion was in the game. He was in the SR388 section of the space station in fusion, so it only makes sense for that to mean that t was an indigenous lifeform on the planet.

The ending stuff was fantastic and I was SOO happy to see the post credit thing
fusion is my favorite metroid game, so I almost lost my shit seeing the x parasite stuff. Apparently Mercury stream originally went to Nintendo and asked to do a remake of Fusion, but was denied and instead asked if they wanted to remake Metroid 2. Maybe fusion will be next

The ONLY negative about the game isn't really about the game but he n3dsXL. Maybe I'm holding it wrong, but during the last 2 main fights, my right thumb was KILLING me from trying to shoot as fast as possible lol.

Overall, it was the game was fantastic and the little stuff they added in to add continuity between the series was great. Fantastic return to form for metroid, and it shows that, even though it was just a remake of a GB game in the series, the series isn't quite on its deathbed yet, it's still here, and still great!

BTW, did you notice he left behind an arm when he left SR388? Wonder if that will come up in the future.

With the nod to x parasites and fusion in the game, my thought is that that hand is how the x parasites combined with Ridley's DNA to create the X parasite clone of Ridley in metroid fusion.

aadiboy

I just finished it. Overall, it's a good game, but there are a lot of problems that hampered my enjoyment of it.

Normal difficulty is too hard, it feels like it should be Hard mode. Enemies deal too much damage and take too much damage to kill until late in the game. The balance of the game is just off across the board. Even after getting new suits and new beam upgrades, you never feel like you're getting stronger because the enemies also get stronger as you go through the game. Enemy placements are bad and there are often times when several enemies can gang up on you.

This game doesn't have those satisfying moments in Metroidvania games where you backtrack to get items with newly acquired abilities. I mean, you might be able to get one or two missile upgrades after getting a new ability, but you may as well just wait until the end of the game to backtrack to actually have a worthwhile time collecting items. This might be because this game is still tied to the original Metroid 2 design wise, but that doesn't mean they couldn't change it for the remake.

The graphics don't look good and the music, outside of remixes, is not great either.

Despite all these problems, I think the game is still good and I had fun playing it. Hopefully Mercury Steam or Nintendo improves the game design for the next 2d Metroid, because they really made a great game here with some annoyances.

Just finished the game today at 100% completion clocking at 15 hours and 31 mins. The game was a complete blast from start to finish and was my first 2D Metroid. I did get stuck on a few parts like where to go and how to get certain expansions, but I love when that happens (even though I did ask for help on here once). Like always Samus was a complete badass from the very beginning especially when (Area 6 spoiler)
you fight the giant robot and once you defeat it, the robot tries to make a final attempt to destroy Samus and she just looks away and finish it off with a charge blast without looking. That moment made me lose my mind
. This game easily made my list of favorite games of all time. I hope this sells well enough to get another 2D Metroid in the future. Now the wait for Prime 4 becomes even harder.

MoonFrog

The big ruins rooms and all the
spider-balling
around on the ceilings is bringing Metroid II back for me. Don't remember that game too well but I can "see" some of those rooms again :p.

Stopdoor

So I'm actually glitched at 99%, that's great lol.

This isn't my screenshot, but the item near the red dot here in Area 5, it shows as a circle while everything else in the game is a dot, but when I go to that area, the spot where the item would be is actually glitched - the first time while backtracking for 100% (not the very first time, I'm not sure if I'd picked it up during the initial run but it didn't register?), the spot in the wall where the item should be was empty, and the second time now I can just spiderball into the gap in the wall but the spot is actually indescructible.

So yeah, that sucks. The only reward is a gallery piece of art I can see online right?

Edit: I checked and I have 261 missiles, but GameFAQ posters are of course contradicting themselves if the max is 261 or 264.

Ok following up on this, I checked the area for a third time and this time the missile tank was finally there, nice. Might have been something to do with zealous Power Bombing/Aeion Pulse around the area in adjacent rooms and stuff causing some weird glitch.

Toxi

Banned
With the nod to x parasites and fusion in the game, my thought is that that hand is how the x parasites combined with Ridley's DNA to create the X parasite clone of Ridley in metroid fusion.
We see the X parasites absorb his corpse in Fusion though.

Wow okay, so I was really turned off for a bit there because of the
Digger boss
, but hot damn the entire final area was SUBLIME.
The way they incorporated the Metroid Larva was excellent and would be a great twist for anyone who didn't already know about it, playing well with the Metroid alarm thingy. And then the Queen Metroid was a very, very good boss indeed. While I'm personally torn about the Metroid Larva being the "last item" just because of horrific Other M flashbacks, it's very fun that Samus has a little Metroid buddy now. And then, of course, the FANTASTIC final boss in Ridley. I was wondering if they would be crazy/awesome enough to bring him in, and they were. And with the half Metal body, too! Absolutely fantastic, and I have never felt so happy for the Prime games to have been so blatantly made canon. Absolutely lovely.

All in all, probably not the best 2D Metroid, but certainly on the same level as them. I'll see how I feel after collecting all the items, but I'm tentatively thinking something like Fusion > Zero > Returns ~ Super, where Super has the better designed overworld, enemies, and bosses, but Returns has the better movement system and controls by a mile.

RagnarokX

Are you even looking at the image you posted? It's not the same beyond being a shade of green. Neither are the lights on the joints.

Again, the arms look completely different. The torso looks completely different. The parts on the head look completely different. The neck looks completely different.

And again, why would Ridley augment himself with parts from a half-finished robot that was at the center of a fucking nuke? Including parts that weren't on the robot in the first place?

They don't have to look exactly the same to be a reference. Artistic liberties and all that. Samus looks different in every game, Ridley suddenly has 4 fingers on each hand in this game when he only had 3 fingers in Super, Zero Mission, and Fusion.

It definitely looks like Ridley Robot was a big influence on how Ridley looks here.

Ridley was in that nuke, too (which according to Super didn't do all that much damage... I imagine him dragging his broken body around and augmenting himself with salvage.

But Fusion already explained that...

Ridley's corpse was on ice in the BSL.

Proteus Ridley is pretty clearly a Meta Ridley reference. Whether or not that makes Prime canon is something for another day but it's pretty clearly at the very least a direct reference and not something that has anything to do with the Ridley Robot.

RagnarokX

Proteus Ridley is pretty clearly a Meta Ridley reference. Whether or not that makes Prime canon is something for another day but it's pretty clearly at the very least a direct reference and not something that has anything to do with the Ridley Robot.

It's a reference to both. It has several visual hallmarks lifted from Ridley Robot.

kyo2004

Only played a couple of hours today (went to sleep in the afternoon) and left satisfied... :) The Areas are huge, and while you get a ton of upgrades in the first 30m/1h of gameplay, it's so much to discover, shoot and route... :)... BTW, the Metroid already kicked my ass once (brute force isn't a great plan).

I'm very happy to pick this game (especially after playing Hollow Knight the last month).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There's a technique that is completely counterintuitive that is used to get a decent amount of collectables. Wish they had spelled this one out.

Toxi

Banned
They don't have to look exactly the same to be a reference. Artistic liberties and all that. Samus looks different in every game, Ridley suddenly has 4 fingers on each hand in this game when he only had 3 fingers in Super, Zero Mission, and Fusion.

It definitely looks like Ridley Robot was a big influence on how Ridley looks here.

Ridley was in that nuke, too (which according to Super didn't do all that much damage... I imagine him dragging his broken body around and augmenting himself with salvage.
Salvage like a tail and legs that weren't part of the robot?

The robot was at the very center of the explosion that obliterated the Space Pirate Ship to the point not a trace of it is left in Super Metroid. Ridley was deep underground in Norfair. Yes, there's kinda a big difference.

You're ignoring the most simple and plausible scenario: The pirates found Ridley and rebuilt him with new parts that weren't at the center of a giant explosion. This doesn't even require Prime to be canon, it's just ludicrous to keep insisting this is supposed to be a reference to robot Ridley when it looks nothing like robot Ridley besides being mechanical and having green lights.

Just beat the final boss. 9:45 and 72% completion. Was gonna wait until I got 100%, but I got too impatient.

As far as rankings, I gotta say this is probably my favorite 2D Metroid since Super. Easily better than ZM. Fusion gives it a good run though. It's just too good.

EDIT: Not sure what this nonsense is going on above me. That was clearly
Meta Ridley. Prime takes place after Zero Mission, it's already been established. Don't ask me how he gets back to normal before Super though. Maybe it's a retcon?

Stopdoor

I've seen this name floating around, where is it sourced from?

Top Bottom