• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

Great game so far ---- in the middle of Area 2, have the
high jump, lightning shield, wave beam, varia suit etc.
and am not sure how to proceed. There are some areas that seem blocked off by fans that I can't get my bombs past.

I've explored as I far as I can in the intro area
to the left of your ship
and in Areas 1 and 2. All the rest of the areas that I haven't explored are blocked off by yellow, green, purple doors that I can't open yet or those blueish blocks that I can't destroy yet.

I need at least 1 more Metroid taken down to proceed but can't seem to get to any of them.....

WhatNXt

Great game so far ---- in the middle of Area 2, have the
high jump, lightning shield, wave beam, varia suit etc.
and am not sure how to proceed. There are some areas that seem blocked off by fans that I can't get my bombs past.

I've explored as I far as I can in the intro area
to the left of your ship
and in Areas 1 and 2. All the rest of the areas that I haven't explored are blocked off by yellow, green, purple doors that I can't open yet or those blueish blocks that I can't destroy yet.

I need at least 1 more Metroid taken down to proceed but can't seem to get to any of them.....

If you go back to the big circular chozo statue thing with the Metroid symbols on, it will update with the defeated Metroids and give you a hint to another one. Odds are you've missed a block you can break or some other hidden path..

If you go back to the big circular chozo statue thing with the Metroid symbols on, it will update with the defeated Metroids and give you a hint to another one. Odds are you've missed a block you can break or some other hidden path..

Cool, will take a look ---- it did highlight one section of Area 2 that I haven't reached yet as the next Metroid to tackle, but the area is guarded by 2 fans, such that I can't bomb the blocks. Will look for an alternate route.

Toxi

Banned
Cool, will take a look ---- it did highlight one section of Area 2 that I haven't reached yet as the next Metroid to tackle, but the area is guarded by 2 fans, such that I can't bomb the blocks. Will look for an alternate route.
That is the right route; you need a new upgrade found elsewhere in area 2.

WhatNXt

There are a few fans dotted around that I've come across, and some I've been able to circumvent, others I haven't.

For example, there's one that you can't break with bombs because the fan will suck them up, but you can break the floor below to give yourself space to stand, and then shoot missiles upwards to break the block above as it doesn't hoover up missiles. I think that was only to get access to a hidden upgrade though, I don't recall any that have blocked my progress.

edit: Toxi is alluding to something I may have forgotten though

Hylian7

I'm fairly late game, I just got a couple of late game powerups close together:
Gravity Suit and Screw Attack.

At least I think it's late game. I'm curious what else is missing that I don't have yet though. I've seen those hatches with the yellow thing covering it, not quite shaped like the missile and super missile doors. Nothing I have works on them, so there has to be something else. Is it something new to the series? I can't think of what else from past games would be missing. I know Speed Booster isn't a thing in this game.

Edit: It just hit me: Power bombs.

Hey guys, I need help with getting to an item.
Map spoilers for Zone 4:
https://imgur.com/gallery/s54ld
Marked by the green arrow right in the center of the screen.
Sorry for the blurry ass pic.
Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Should mention that I'm already through the game, so I've got all the abilities(endgame/post-game spoilers ->)
and The Baby™

EDIT: Problem solved, thanks KingBroly and CuNi!

Playing some more really cements this as a decent but not great Metroid. There's just too many points where it just doesn't compare favorably to other games in the series.

Outside of my initial gripes, which still stand, some new ones have come to light. I see others have already said the same thing though. The game's art just isn't very good and the areas in the game all kind of blur together. Other Metroids have always had very distinct areas, which was further helped by having distinct music. Samus Returns just has one look so far (apparently Area 5 is different, but I haven't gotten there yet) and their brilliant idea to diversivy them is to have them be in a different color? You can do better than this. You need to do better in fact.

Enemy encounters continue to bore and annoy; it's just not very fun to keep having to counter just about every enemy, forcing you to stop and wait for it to attack.

I'm still having fun with it, but this really isn't the grand return of Metroid some were hoping it would be. The series legacy remains in tact at least and the game certainly isn't bad, it just needs to be better.

Completely disagree. 100%. The fans got exactly what we needed and I'm so happy. This remake has been a blast. Sure, there are nitpicks, but this IS the grand return.

Forward

I love Metroid. But goddammit I just cannot get past how badly this game plays on the Circle Pad. Nintendo is losing a sale thanks to it, I guess, if by proxy. Because I am trading it in at GameStop for store credit, later today. Ain't got time for bad control schemes.

Completely disagree. 100%. The fans got exactly what we needed and I'm so happy. This remake has been a blast. Sure, there are nitpicks, but this IS the grand return.

I am a fan. Super Metroid is in my top 10 games of all time. All Time ~ Kanye, even.

No I did not get exactly what I wanted; not even close. Samus Returns sucks. Samus Returns is getting returned.

It's not great, but Metroid was never a huge seller, it's slightly below Kirby-tier. Install base is big but consumers aren't exactly chomping at the bit for 3DS games now. Was never going to storm the chart.

Anecdotal, but this game was sold out at the Gamestop, Best Buy and Target near me this weekend. I hope that's a good sign of things to come.

I love Metroid. But goddammit I just cannot get past how badly this game plays on the Circle Pad. Nintendo is losing a sale thanks to it, I guess, if by proxy. Because I am trading it in at GameStop for store credit, later today. Ain't got time for bad control schemes.

Lol.

khaaan

Put in a little bit of time over the weekend, great game. So far it hasn't been overly difficulty though, at least when you're doing general progression. The point where you're supposed to counter enemies is pretty decently telegraphed so it's just a matter of executing. The only things that have given me trouble are those floating things that move to be above Samus and shoot downwards. I haven't checked to see if they can be stunned or frozen, usually I just brute force kill them. The other times I've had a bit of trouble is when two enemies react to me within moments of one another but I'm stuck in the counter animation. There's also plenty of spots to farm back your health and missiles.

The biggest spike in difficulty has been the Metroid/Boss fights, weren't too bad at first but now I'm finding I'll die a few times before getting it down...and even then I feel like I'm barely making it through thanks to missile spam.

you can use spider ball and power bomb to propel you into outer space. Just like a bomb jump. I think it's called spider spark.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!
Would be great if the game told you this at some point (and if it does then I may not have seen it (yet).

Okay, thanks, that'll work!

goldenpp72

Nope. I give up. How on earth do you beat the
drill boss
. I can get to the 3rd phase, although that takes me like 10 minutes each time. But I can't see an opening for attack. Is it something to do with when he starts trying to suck you up? Also those lasers are, like, impossible to dodge.

Great game overall but a few thing are really winding me up.

I loved this fight, are you dropping bombs into his wind tunnel?

Lel to you too.

The game sucks.

In case you mistake this for trolling, I'll post the receipt later today.

The game is getting great reviews and the fans are enjoying it. You may think it sucks, but the general consensus disagrees.

I truly don't care if you return the game, Captain Edgelord. Nintendo doesn't pay my bills.

I am a fan. Super Metroid is in my top 10 games of all time. All Time ~ Kanye, even.

No I did not get exactly what I wanted; not even close. Samus Returns sucks. Samus Returns is getting returned.

Your only reason for this game to "suck" is that it uses the Circle Pad?
Come on, dude.

It's really really great, as every 2D Metroid is.
You get used to the Circle Pad in no time.
I too am not exactly a fan of playing 2D games with a 3D control method but it could be SO much worse, believe me.

goldenpp72

Your only reason for this game to "suck" is that it uses the Circle Pad?
Come on, dude.

It's really really great, as every 2D Metroid is.
You get used to the Circle Pad in no time.
I too am not exactly a fan of playing 2D games with a 3D control method but it could be SO much worse, believe me.

I have absolutely no issues with it, love the precision of the aiming due to it. Guy is just inept.

Forward

The game is getting great reviews and the fans are enjoying it. You may think it sucks, but the general consensus disagrees.

I truly don't care if you return the game, Captain Edgelord. Nintendo doesn't pay my bills.

Good to know honest criticism is not a thing to be had up in this thread.

Captain Edgelord?

Whatever, Private Shillington... dismissed.

GeekyDad

That is the right route; you need a new upgrade found elsewhere in area 2.

Seems like I wasn't the only one who approached this area ass backward. :p

I also ended up getting that upgrade last. For whatever reason, I just didn't go that route from the beginning and ended up forgetting it was even accessible.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Put some more time into the game. It's fun, but could be much better if it wasn't tied to the circle pad for movement.

Playing all these types of games being used to a D-pad for a long while, then going to the circle pad is very jarring. Just takes a bit to get used to is all.

Cpt Lmao

I have never in my life found trivialities such as 30fps or control schemes a non-surmountable obstacle with regards to enjoying a good game. l will never understand people.

emb

I had some issues with the controls too, they aren't perfect, but some aspects really work. I hated trying to morph with the circle pad, and the new aiming took a lot of getting used to at first. After finishing though, hard to see myself doing this game's metroid fights without the 360 aim.

A few control options would have gone a long way - allow swapping D-pad with circle pad (even if it might make some things difficult/impossible to aim at). The most egregious to me was stuff like beam/missile swap and instant morph being stuck on the touch screen, while start/select do the same thing and the two extra shoulder buttons on New 3DS systems do nothing. It's upsetting that they'd think a touch input is ok when there are buttons actually just not being used. Seems like a lot of Nintendo games do that with start/select, though I can't think of another example off hand.

Still, this game's controls are ok and can pretty easily be adjusted to. I'm surprised it was enough to make you send it back. Saying 'the game sucks' is definitely and exaggeration.
Love the game, but I think 'grand return' is kind of a stretch. At the end of the day, it is still a remake. They did a great job on it though.
Would be great if the game told you this at some point (and if it does then I may not have seen it (yet).

I was actually a little glad it didn't tell me. Was a neat 'aha!' moment to figure it out.

octopiggy

I loved this fight, are you dropping bombs into his wind tunnel?

Someone on the previous page had exactly the same question but I only noticed it after my post. So at least I wasn't the only one!
I thought I had tried dropping mines. Maybe I wasn't close enough or didn't notice the damage flash when it hit.

Anyway, I've beat it now. It was enjoyable after about half an hour once I found out what you actually had to do.

Quadraxis

Got the game on friday, completed my playtrough yesterday. Took me 10:06 according to ingame time with 86% completion. Loved the game, controls were fine for me. For the game itself, it started off strong, followed by a tamer middle part in the game with mostly alphas and gammas. The last third of the game is glorious though, area 5 and onward were top notch.
From the moment zetas appear the game takes off again for me,
and Omegas are really fun to battle. The Diggernaught, Metroid Queen and Ridley are all really fun and good battles, with some damm good music too.

I absolutelly loved the 3D in this game. The sprawling caverns and random creatures moving there made it feel more alive. Also fun: freezing and enemy and blowing it up can cause ice shard to fly at you out of the screen, really neat effect. If i have a negative is that the normal enemy variety should be a bit bigger.

Now to collect the rest of the items :)

Oh man, the Surface theme is so great in this game:

https://youtu.be/yhQWJG-_Oco

I love the tradition of Metroid games to use more upbeat music in the beginning areas and dark, foreboding tracks the deeper you go into the planet. (Followed by upbeat, heroic music again in the credits, which is why I hope they rearranged the original Metroid II credits theme)

Edit: For those of you who haven't finished the game, be careful when you're on YouTube. Video titles can be spoilers.

Toxi

Banned

To be fair,
this is one of those things a lot of players will find accidentally thanks to how many late game enemies require Power Bombs to dispatch. I found it out on my own.

But yeah, a Drachoras+Etecoons sort of tutorial would have been a good addition.

Morts

I want to go home and hunt the last four Metroids. Stupid work.

Loving it so far. Only issue is that some of the areas might be TOO big. Will probably be less of an issue once I'm more familiar with the layout.

Toxi

Banned
SPOILERS FOR THE VERY END OF THE GAME

I'm so glad we finally have a new 2D Ridley fight that's not a neutered version of Super Metroid's boss fight. He's still pretty hard, especially if you don't go back to collect items, but his entire movement and moveset are new and I'm really glad.

Whatever complaints you might have about Samus Return, it's probably the freshest-feeling 2D Metroid since Super; ironic when it's a remake.

Quadraxis

SPOILERS FOR THE VERY END OF THE GAME

I'm so glad we finally have a new 2D Ridley fight that's not a neutered version of Super Metroid's boss fight. He's still pretty hard, especially if you don't go back to collect items, but his entire movement and moveset are new and I'm really glad.

Whatever complaints you might have about Samus Return, it's probably the freshest-feeling 2D Metroid since Super; ironic when it's a remake.

That battle was such an All-out brawl, i loved it. No weird weakpoints to uncover,
just him blasting you and vice versa. And the cutscenes inbetween make it even better :)

KayMote

I was actually a little glad it didn't tell me. Was a neat 'aha!' moment to figure it out.

Same! One of the best moments in recent Metroid history for me personally - the rush and joy, when I finally figured it out really hit me then!

Anyways, was anybody here already able to finish the game under 4 hours for the best ending? This seems like a legitimate challenge and will probably take some routing. As for me, I am replaying the game currently on hard and after that I will try to get into some speerdunning territory. Maybe by then some people might find some sequence breaks and glitches already.

I think this game is a better remake of 2 than Zero Mission was of the original. The thing that was unique about the original was that it was almost completely non linear , and had a real sense of despair as you get lost in a completely dangerous and alien world. Regardless of whether or not you think Zero Mission is technically a "better" game or not (I probably think so), if gives off a completely different tone, with guidance statues and a cartoony art-style, and also with any non linearity locked behind breakable blocks that would not be found by anybody playing for the first time. Zero Mission to me feels like a watered down Super Metroid, but one that plays very well.

Samus returns on the other hand, retains the structure from Metroid 2 pretty well, with the areas needing to be done in order, but with each area giving the freedom for you to explore and try to hunt down the Metroids. Problems with the original, such as the lack of map, bland visuals, and small playing area are gone, and the additional guidance that the game provides is easy to ignore. In fact, I didn't even know until after beating the game that the chozo statues would
provide the location of Metroid if you return to it after beating several.
The new mechanics are also pretty cool, so the game manages to both feel like a brand new experience but also taking what worked well from the original.

My biggest problem with this remake is towards the end,
instead of having a calm ending like the original 2, where Samus and the infant Metroid escape to the surface with no problem with one of only good pieces of music in the game playing, this game has a more bombastic ending with a boss fight that is arguably overplayed in the series. The original goes against what you would expect from this kind of action game, and it's a shame that this game didn't carry it over.

Overall, I don't know yet which game I prefer, since I beat Zero Mission a countless number of times in the past 13 years and I only just beat this game yesterday, but I really do appreciate what this game managed to do.

60 FPS would have been nice though...

Greedings

Fuck I'm stuck. So early on too. My last metroid in area 3, can't figure out how to get into a room that has one side protected by
two wind turbines and blocks weak to bombs
. I'm sure there's another entrance to the room, but I can't for the life of me find it.

I agree with you. It's about as Metroid as a Metroid game could be. Huge cavernous rooms with tons to explore, threatening alien life forms, hostile environments, dripping with atmosphere, fantastic controls. My only issue is with the 3DS itself. It's a pain to hold comfortably while using both L and R buttons frequently. I'd like to play this on a standard controller some day.

Shooting enemies with a missile when they're frozen is an insta-kill, so with quick timing the ice beam can actually do some good damage.

Also, it's the only beam that works on Metroids.
What's the word on ice beam vs missles against metroids? I've been using them mostly interchangeably, but I almost exclusively use missiles after a counter attack. Does one of them really do any more damage than the other?

Aesnath

After some initial trepidation about the implementation (namely, bad taste left by MercurySteam, the counter-attack thing, 2.5d usually being awkward), I have to admit, I am really enjoying the game.

I hope it does well, but, if my 7-year old son is any indication, it may be a bit too challenging for some people. Notably, he beat super metroid a few months back (had a lot of help though) and this seems to be a bit harder for him. Part of the problem is the general aggressiveness of common enemies, as everything charges, all the time, to enable the counter mechanic. On the other hand, one of the compromises I particularly like is the metroid "gates." While I sort of hate the artificial gating of areas, it doesn't bother me too much, as I just go about my business in a given area. However, for my son, who appreciates an occasional hint, it gives him somewhere to get a guide post. I really think it is a step up from the more forced guidance of some other metroid titles.

I still think that 2.5d doesn't do the game any real favors, but the implementation isn't bad. I think some of the environments are a bit ugly and the common enemies sort of derpy.

Honestly, I'll be reasonably satisfied if MercurySteam gets another at-bat for the franchise and they put this much care into it.

VDenter

Banned
The circle pad is fine for the movement. The problem is that i wish there was a way to revamp what buttons do what. I never play Metroid with the default setting and it is really difficult to get used to. I would really like to reconfigure every button but apparently Nintendo forgot to include some options in the control options section lol.

Top Bottom