• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

MoonFrog

Just got the plasma beam and gravity suit. Now I am unstoppable. Love it.

It is fun to notice this trend in comments. I posted such myself when I got there and I saw another post like this last night. I'm guessing there were some before and in between too :).

Seems to be a really uplifting part of the game. Certainly was for me.

Opa-Pa

One thing that worries me about my eventual replay is that while I want to aim for a 4 hour playthrough, I wonder how feasible it would be in Fusion mode. Is enemy HP affected too? I didn't mind how sturdy bosses were, mostly because I always had enough ammo and gaining the skill to beat them wasn't too hard, but I wonder if, for example, skipping a couple of super missile expansions would make boss battles too long/annoying.

It is fun to notice this trend in comments. I posted such myself when I got there and I saw another post like this last night. I'm guessing there were some before and in between too :).

Seems to be a really uplifting part of the game. Certainly was for me.

These parts are always very empowering in the series, but at some point it gets kinda dull, at least for me, so it was very refreshing that in SR not even the screw attack makes you a god. There's always at least one type of enemy that will give you trouble.

MoonFrog

Yeah. I really liked killing those turrets after the plasma beam. Those things were really painful and I just avoided them before hand (tend to hoard missiles and aeion gauge, so they'd get a shot off before plasma if I just unloaded my beam on them).

That and the swarm enemies, which, well I wish I'd thought to use the lightning melee attack freeform on them myself :p

One thing that worries me about my eventual replay is that while I want to aim for a 4 hour playthrough, I wonder how feasible it would be in Fusion mode. Is enemy HP affected too? I didn't mind how sturdy bosses were, mostly because I always had enough ammo and gaining the skill to beat them wasn't too hard, but I wonder if, for example, skipping a couple of super missile expansions would make boss battles too long/annoying.

From my semi-extensive testing, enemy/boss HP is the same on all difficulties, so you've got nothing to worry about there. The only difference is the damage you take, which imo made for a nice challenge .

Mugen08

did you play AM2R? It's also reaaaaally good! I still prefer it to samus returns, but both are amazing!
Haven't played the full version yet but have it saved on my hdd. I like the look of AM2R above Samus Returns, but felt I should buy and play the official remake first.

Can anyone give me a clue about how to get past a certain obstacle? I'm at the end of the game, so I'm pretty sure I have all the upgrades.

Horizontal paths with orange pointy spikes on the floor and ceiling, and no Grapple Beam point to pull yourself along. The powerup I'm trying to reach is a Power Bomb tank on the far right of Area 4. The gap is too narrow to Space Jump through, Power Bombs do nothing, Baby Metroid Bro doesn't want to eat them for me; I've tried everything I can think of and I'm stumped.

Defect

Can anyone give me a clue about how to get past a certain obstacle? I'm at the end of the game, so I'm pretty sure I have all the upgrades.

Horizontal paths with orange pointy spikes on the floor and ceiling, and no Grapple Beam point to pull yourself along. The powerup I'm trying to reach is a Power Bomb tank on the far right of Area 4. The gap is too narrow to Space Jump through, Power Bombs do nothing, Baby Metroid Bro doesn't want to eat them for me; I've tried everything I can think of and I'm stumped.
Spiderball + Powerbomb

Cpt Lmao

Yeah I've got admit I think the powerbomb thing blindsided a lot of people.

Also, regarding the Queen

Can you actually morphball into her stomach like in the original? I beat her without doing this, unless perhaps it plays out in the counter QTE?

Orcastar

Yeah I've got admit I think the powerbomb thing blindsided a lot of people.

Also, regarding the Queen

Can you actually morphball into her stomach like in the original? I beat her without doing this, unless perhaps it plays out in the counter QTE?

Yes, you can do that after a successful counter hit.

Anyone else beat this game a second time yet? I beat it on hard mode in about 5 hours for a second run. Something interesting happened, tho,
Samus had Green hair, in the end.

This isn't normal, right?

Anyway, game was fun on hard, but easier this time, cause I already beat it. Hopefully it sells well, and Nintendo releases another! I don't care what they do, although I do have preference for Metroid 5. Anything will be awesome.

Anyone else beat this game a second time yet? I beat it on hard mode in about 5 hours for a second run. Something interesting happened, tho,

Anyway, game was fun on hard, but easier this time, cause I already beat it. Hopefully it sells well, and Nintendo releases another! I don't care what they do, although I do have preference for Metroid 5. Anything will be awesome.
JUSTIN BAILEY
clementtwitter.jpg

pa22word

The last two bosses were rather disappointing I thought. Both had really simple patterns and the moveset split made them very predictable. They tried making them hard by way of just having them do truckloads of damage if you fall asleep at the wheel (especially on the last one...), but keep your eyes open and they go down pretty easy. The second to last boss especially I thought was a lot weaker than it was in the og, which was kinda disappointing.

Overall I really liked the game a lot. Too much else to play atm to go back to hard again so soon, but I do plan on it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I was loving the game up to Area 5 but that level was some bona fide classic Metroid. When the
Brinstar Super Metroid remix
came in I was already sold, but it also had the best powerups and flow. Highlight of the game for me and a true tribute to the franchise.

Then I hit the
Digger boss roadblock
. Got energy tanks? Well they don't mean shit lol. I managed to
destroy both legs, but then he goes into another pattern and that was just too much. I'm considering saving my shield until I hit that final phase.

Definitely the hardest part of the game so far.

I'm still relatively new to this series (started with Fusion and Zero Mission) but I didn't think I was that bad. Samus Returns is kicking my ass though. I'm currently stuck
fighting the giant digging robot;
I can blow up the drills just fine but then the lasers and crushing phase just wrecks me in seconds before I even can figure out what is going on.
Bosses in this game just do too much damage too quickly and it's just not fun at all.

pa22word

I'm still relatively new to this series (started with Fusion and Zero Mission) but I didn't think I was that bad. Samus Returns is kicking my ass though. I'm currently stuck
fighting the giant digging robot;
I can blow up the drills just fine but then the lasers and crushing phase just wrecks me in seconds before I even can figure out what is going on.
Bosses in this game just do too much damage too quickly and it's just not fun at all.
Don't treat the actual bosses as standard metroid bosses and instead look at them like mega man bosses in the sense that they're less battles of attrition and more puzzles to be solved. That boss in particular's design is like right out of an X game. Watch the patterns and look for openings, being mindful of using powers to solve problems in inventive ways to make your life easier. Just experiment a bit and you'll be alright.

Just finished the game 100%, and oh man what an ending. I'm so glad I remained unspoiled on that, because that was the most delightful surprise.

I absolutely loved this game. While I do think the individual areas could have used a little more personality (AM2R was a lot better about giving each area a distinct feel), and I kind of missed the Speedbooster and Shinespark puzzles, those are about the only complaints I can muster. Samus feels incredible; the 360 degree aiming is a gamechanger and I think it's going to be hard to go back. While it doesn't have the pristine quality of the sprite-based games, the 2.5D graphics and stereoscopic 3D really sell the impression that you're exploring enormous, cavernous underground spaces like no Metroid has before.

It took me 12:27 to finish 100%, and I enjoyed every moment, with the bosses being absolute standouts. They're all tough as nails, but your abilities in this game level the playing field if you're good enough with them. There's so much cool stuff you can do between the Aeion powers, melee counter, free-aim and cool stuff like the Spider Ball/Power Bomb combo.

I think they nailed the storytelling, too. Quick cutscene at the start, then you're just in it until the end, with nothing more than some tooltips and intros for the bosses. Samus' animations and overall demeanour express more personality than any of Other M's interminable cutscenes could, without a single word spoken. ENDING SPOILERS:

Getting to spend time with THE BABY when you do another lap around the world mopping up collectibles was a great idea, too. I grew to like that little jellyfish, floating around and happily chomping those blue walls for me. And he even pulls his weight in the surprise visit from our ol' pal Ridley! Real class act, that baby.

It's a shame we had to wait this long for a new 2D Metroid, but goddamn was this game worth the wait. Now I just hope Nintendo will set Mercury Steam to work on another one ASAP, because they nailed it.

Don't treat the actual bosses as standard metroid bosses and instead look at them like mega man bosses in the sense that they're less battles of attrition and more puzzles to be solved. That boss in particular's design is like right out of an X game. Watch the patterns and look for openings, being mindful of using powers to solve problems in inventive ways to make your life easier. Just experiment a bit and you'll be alright.
Yeah, no, I know exactly what needs to be done but fuck if I can actually do it when the slightest scrape against the boss does half my life in damage

Hylian7

Since I 100%'d this last night, I was thinking about how cool the future of the series is looking, and I have a few theories. This is all obviously 100% endgame spoilers:

The Chozo harvested the Aeion, which is life energy, from the creatures of SR388. The Aeion also ended up inadvertently forming the X Parasites. The X, as we already knew, kill a host and then mimic it. They are life energy, and can mimic lifeforms because that's what they are. Metroids feed on life energy, hence why the Chozo developed the Metroids to wipe out the X. The Metroids, for the most part, wiped out the X, and then after that were hungry, so they turned on the Chozo for their life energy. As the Chozo were going to leave the planet, some Chozo got in an argument, and one Chozo ended up killing others. There's lots of room for interpretation of what happened here, but whatever it is,
it's going to be very interesting. I think there's a few possibilities, the most obvious of which being there's a hostile Chozo faction out there. Another is that maybe the Chozo that killed the others was an X mimicking one? Like an early version of the SA-X, since it used a variant of the suit that was given to Samus.

The Aeion particles in this game were attracted to Samus (granted, so were the health and missiles), in a similar manner to the X. Of course, we all know the Metroids were eliminated by Samus here, so when the expedition to SR388 at the start of Fusion happened, the X ran rampant there. Hence the teaser we saw after the credits very likely showed the Hornoad that Samus shot at the beginning of Fusion, releasing the X that infected her.

I'm so excited the future of the series looks this bright!

Also, do we know who did the artwork in the Chozo Memories? Someone from Nintendo internally, or MercurySteam?

IbukiLordSA

Finally, part of my order has arrived and I can join in on that Metroid action, special edition and pre-order incentives will arrive next week.

C5RSwHr.jpg

Just beat the
big robot
boss. I think it would have been more fun for me if it didn't deal so much damage. I can see this game becoming "that game that was so hard I couldn't beat it" for the kids of today, specially with the damage output of enemies as you progress through the game. I honestly don't want to imagine the insane amounts of damage they deal in fusion mode.

As for the game structure, the highest point for me were area 4 and 5 so far. They were fun areas to traverse, you felt powerful with the new upgrades, and the size was pretty much perfect. Area 2 and 3 felt way too big for me. The size of both areas made me play the game in short sessions as I quickly become exhausted of traversing them.

Honestly, the game has been a good ride so far, it just has ranged between frustrating and great moments for me; so I don't exactly how I will rank the game once I finished it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finally beat the
Diggernaut
. Sucks that the final part is the hardest, I had to retry a bunch of times because I got killed
on the eye
. It just takes so long to get another stab at that part. The design of the boss is great, but maybe they overdid it a bit in the damage department. I was lucky have a reserve tank, without it would've been even more brutal.

How does the
power bomb jump
work exactly? There's an upgrade right after the boss with one of the spike columns, but I don't know how to line myself up to make that morph ball jump/boost.

edit: figured it out, you have to combine it with the spider ball...

Hylian7

Something else about the 100% ending that Demoli just pointed out to me:
"2D"
in Red = 2D Red = 2 Dred = 2 Dread = To Dread...

Opa-Pa

Something else about the 100% ending that Demoli just pointed out to me:
"2D"
in Red = 2D Red = 2 Dred = 2 Dread = To Dread...

You know, I saw someone else say this in the other thread and thought they were reaching/joking, but... It kinda does make sense.

I'd argue the letter "d" not being on caps means it's not meant to be read as "dee" as well, so "dread" makes sense. Damn!

Imagine the insane levels of hype after Nintendo announces Metroid Dread for Switch during a Direct.

Opa-Pa

HOLY SHIT.

Did you
get her with her power suit still on? I wonder if the Zero Suit equivalent would be her... Swim suit thing or whatever it is.

Just beat the game. I still need to 100% it, but now I can look at that future of Metroid spoiler thread lol. I just didn't want any bosses spoiled.

Also, I noticed it said, "Powered by Mercury Engine" in the credits. Pretty cool. How many other Nintendo-published, core franchise titles have been made using a non-in-house engine?

Just beat the game. I still need to 100% it, but now I can look at that future of Metroid spoiler thread lol. I just didn't want any bosses spoiled.

Also, I noticed it said, "Powered by Mercury Engine" in the credits. Pretty cool. How many other Nintendo-published, core franchise titles have been made using a non-in-house engine?

The new Yoshi game on Switch uses UE4

boiled goose

good with gravy
Pretty cool game. Best controlling 2d metroid. It's just fun to move around. That said, I wish they would allow button customization and used n3ds buttons like second triggers and cstick.

The area segmentation works great for portable play.

HOLY SHIT.

Did you
get her with her power suit still on? I wonder if the Zero Suit equivalent would be her... Swim suit thing or whatever it is.
She still had her power suit.
IDK if her zero suit has green hair. Heck, IDK if the one w her power suit usually has green hair. I think you have to beat the game in under 4 hours to see her zero suit. Maybe hard mode you get green hair? Or beating it a second time, in general?

I'm one metroid short from exiting Area 5.

My over the moon feeling for the game in the early hours have greatly diminished and now I feel like I'm just going through the motions of a game in the genre. My biggest complaint is around art direction, which seems like a trivial remark to make but I can't remember what areas 1 , 2 , 3 and 4 look like. The design , obviously what matters most, is astounding and has its hooks in me even if it's all a little easy. I can see why so many were eager to have their hard mode readily available from the offset.

A great designed game that's fun but leaves much to be desired as an experience. Very hard to score this, personally.

Top Bottom