• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

Metroxed

Lol I've been watching my girlfriend play the beginning of this game on her OG3DS and framerate dips are fairly common... Looks like the game does get a performance boost on n3DS. That really sucks for OG3DS users :/

I played the entire game on an OG 3DS, with the 3D always on, never noticed any framerate drops (except maybe for the elevator scenes).

pa22word

I usually noticed fps drops when the swarm enemies died in mass numbers. Though I'm pretty sure Super Metroid had the same issue, so I thought it was kind of cute rather than annoying.

Beat the game

The last boss was "hard" only because my hand started cramping lol

Area
felt unnecessary but overall I loved the game. Can't wait for the
Fusion
remake; it was the first Metroid game I played!

Voidwolf

Area
felt unnecessary but overall I loved the game.

I've seen this expressed several times throughout this thread. I just cleared this area last night and it was definitely the most annoying of them all so far, they could have done with a lot less Chozo defenses. I enjoyed every other area so far and took my time with them but I rushed through this one as fast as I could.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Uggh the final boss is so tough and has
so many phases. I feel drained every time I enter the 4th phase or so, especially if I miss the melee counter at the start of it. Think I've been so close to beating him, but the fight lasts forever

KarmaCow

Just finished the game and it is pretty firmly the best version of the game. The original game just busted and limited various ways and AM2R despite introducing new gimmicky elements was still constrained by trying to stay true to that flawed core, but Mercury Steam managed to break free of that trap. It's still based on Metroid 2 for sure so I wouldn't say it's anywhere near my favourite Metroid because of a few fundamental design decisions but they managed to improve on the original in pretty much every way. The only issues I have with the changes are that missiles are less vital (though Super Missiles take that place) and
they introduced an almost perfunctory upgrade collection run at the end

Everything else is just so much better. The Metroid fights are not about trying to game the AI pathing, the counter system is satisfying without slowing down the movement significantly, the spider ball and even the screw attack is used in good environmental puzzles, the environments themselves are packed with unique details making it easier to keep track of areas, and a bunch of other smaller, less visible details like the feel of the game and adding traversal utility to upgrades that I didn't expect. I wouldn't go so far as to say I would want Mercury Steam to work on the next Metroid game because I don't think they demonstrated what I would want from it but I would double dip on a Switch version of this game that just ran at 60 fps or even a Fusion remake.

KayMote

After my second 100% playthrough on hard I'm ready to rush through the game to get the best ending by finishing it under 4 hours... and man, playing through the game like that is an entirely different experience! I don't think I really used the Ice beam + missile combo a lot before, but here it's essential to navigate through areas as fast as possible. It feels kind of strange to avoid the enemies' melee attacks just to bypass them faster plus it's unusual to actually think about the missile management, since you will use tons of them.

This entirely different playstyle is very fun though and I think I am off to a great start: just cleared the first two areas with 15 minutes on the clock so far.

KarmaCow

After my second 100% playthrough on hard I'm ready to rush through the game to get the best ending by finishing it under 4 hours... and man, playing through the game like that is an entirely different experience! I don't think I really used the Ice beam + missile combo a lot before, but here it's essential to navigate through areas as fast as possible. It feels kind of strange to avoid the enemies' melee attacks just to bypass them faster plus it's unusual to actually think about the missile management, since you will use tons of them.

This entirely different playstyle is very fun though and I think I am off to a great start: just cleared the first two areas with 15 minutes on the clock so far.

Do missiles/health drop less on hard? I opted to do the ice beam + missile combo for the first two-thirds of the game mostly because I don't like touching the bottom screen with my fingers and I found that I would get missiles back at pretty much the same rate I was using them, maybe slightly less. Ammo recharge stations were also pretty easy to find as well.

Uggh the final boss is so tough and has
so many phases. I feel drained every time I enter the 4th phase or so, especially if I miss the melee counter at the start of it. Think I've been so close to beating him, but the fight lasts forever
Have you tried using
beam burst aeion ability? You get aeion refilled after the first two stages so it helps you really speed through those parts.

How the fuck am I supposed to beat the
robot boss
? I've been on the final segment twice now and
the fucker doesn't ever once give me a chance to bomb the final spot around the eye because it won't align without being electrified

Toxi

Banned
robot boss
the fucker doesn't ever once give me a chance to bomb the final spot around the eye because it won't align without being electrified
If you stay right on that spot with the Spider Ball, you won't get knocked off.

robot boss
The spots you bomb are actually safe to stick to when he's electrified.

CassSept

I'm up to Area 5 and the game feels so damn good. I love that moment in every Metroid game where you become a true killing machine and with
Plasma Beam, Gravity Suit and Screw Attack next to each other you truly feel unstoppable

On the other hand, I picked up my legacy edition today and I'm so damn disappointed in the keychain. It looked so good on concept arts and with how high quality the rest of the package is it's disappointing the keychain is so cheap and ugly.

Fou-Lu

I just replayed Zero Mission for the first time in years since I can't afford to pick up this yet. It's not a bad game and I still really enjoyed the four hours it took me, but it's probably my least favourite of the Metroids I have beaten. It feels kind of incoherent, probably partially due to being a remake of the first game, but still. I remembered the Zero Suit part fondly, but this time I found myself disliking it greatly.

On the other hand, I picked up my legacy edition today and I'm so damn disappointed in the keychain. It looked so good on concept arts and with how high quality the rest of the package is it's disappointing the keychain is so cheap and ugly.

Thanks for reminding me, I haven't even unpacked that lol. Gonna do that now.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Have you tried using
beam burst aeion ability? You get aeion refilled after the first two stages so it helps you really speed through those parts.

Yeah, but I like keeping the shield on for safety. Of course after I took a break I beat him first try. Think I downloaded all the attacks because I did it with a bunch of tanks to spare.

Will probably post more elaborate impressions after 100% but this game really came into its own in the later areas. Area 3 was a bit of a pace killer and the Metroid fights become pretty repetitive, but those are pretty much my major gripes.

Voidwolf

Just beat the game! 100% at 15:10

This was my first time sticking with a 2D metroid all the way to the end (I've tried out ZM, Fusion but didn't play much of either) and the third game I actually finish (Prime Hunters and Prime 3 previously).

Spoilers for the final two bosses.

What an awesome surprise it was when Ridley shows up! I went crazy, and it was such a fun boss too! Both him and the Queen were a fair challenge, really fun patterns and Ridley especially as it was a fast paced battle and I loved it. Beat him on my second try and the Queen took me 4 attempts but each time I did better than the last so I enjoyed it a lot. I accidentally spoiled myself on the baby metroid when I looked up a video on how to do the spider ball jump (had no idea what a power bomb was or that it was needed) and the guy who did the video recorded it after he acquired the baby.

What a fantastic game, I'm gonna pop my Prime Trilogy back into the Wii U and finish those games and then finish Other M. And who knows, maybe I'll go back and play the other 2D games since I actually have them on VC thanks to the old Club Nintendo.

Experien

The elevator and teleport framerate drops were on the n3DS too.

Only issues i have are the (seeming) not in-game engine scenes mentioned above. Elevators and teleport parts. Gameplay feels smooth as butter.

I am on the Samus n3DS XL. Always 3D of course.

Just beat the game! 100% at 15:10

This was my first time sticking with a 2D metroid all the way to the end (I've tried out ZM, Fusion but didn't play much of either) and the third game I actually finish (Prime Hunters and Prime 3 previously).

Spoilers for the final two bosses.

What an awesome surprise it was when Ridley shows up! I went crazy, and it was such a fun boss too! Both him and the Queen were a fair challenge, really fun patterns and Ridley especially as it was a fast paced battle and I loved it. Beat him on my second try and the Queen took me 4 attempts but each time I did better than the last so I enjoyed it a lot. I accidentally spoiled myself on the baby metroid when I looked up a video on how to do the spider ball jump (had no idea what a power bomb was or that it was needed) and the guy who did the video recorded it after he acquired the baby.

What a fantastic game, I'm gonna pop my Prime Trilogy back into the Wii U and finish those games and then finish Other M. And who knows, maybe I'll go back and play the other 2D games since I actually have them on VC thanks to the old Club Nintendo.

Make sure you go to the Gallery now that you 100% the game!!!

Opa-Pa

So I finally got my amiibo and started Fusion Mode, and damn! I really thought the Fusion suit was a lame recolor, but it's pretty detailed, has different textures and all, it looks great, it even has a different picture for Samus' suit in the abilities menu:

LF81jUc.png

ujCwZNO.png

B2CXcHC.png

SoIjsH4.png

JvnL9ZZ.png

yWushQR.png

ATFTM1h.png

I played the entire game on an OG 3DS, with the 3D always on, never noticed any framerate drops (except maybe for the elevator scenes).

You probably did but didn't notice. I just tried it myself on my OG3DS with 3D off and I got consistent drops around this place in Area 1

nwCyyJM.png

6kUUj4O.png

All screen transitions around that lower area have drops, and you get them randomly while just moving around too. I saw my girlfriend get others in different places of Area 1 too, but maybe they get rarer later in the game?

Also I noticed the title menu runs at a noticeably lower framerate on OG3DS lol, but that's super minor.

jholmes

Am I missing something here? I feel like this game is really average but everyone seems really high on it. I'm on Area 3 and I won't pretend I never have fun, but it seems like the difficulty is fully derived from the damage things do. There's almost never any tension -- I'm walking around at full life but as soon as I find a new metroid/obstacle/whatever I take two or three hits while sizing it up and kaput, I'm dead. There's an alarm when your health is low but even when I die I rarely hear it, I'm dead before I even think to look up at the HUD and check my health.

Maybe I just need to take a little time away and come back to it, but while I don't think this is a bad game I do think right now it's a little confused about what the series is. I'm constantly melee battling and the exploration seems very basic. It seems every room with a Chozo statue has the same breakable block in the middle of the floor.

Vibed

How in God's name do I get out of
the water tunnel
in the lower section of Area 3?
I can't wall jump because it's only one tile long, and I can't bomb jump in water.

Wait what the fuck I'm an idiot I momentarily forgot spiderball

MoonFrog

Am I missing something here? I feel like this game is really average but everyone seems really high on it. I'm on Area 3 and I won't pretend I never have fun, but it seems like the difficulty is fully derived from the damage things do. There's almost never any tension -- I'm walking around at full life but as soon as I find a new metroid/obstacle/whatever I take two or three hits while sizing it up and kaput, I'm dead. There's an alarm when your health is low but even when I die I rarely hear it, I'm dead before I even think to look up at the HUD and check my health.

Maybe I just need to take a little time away and come back to it, but while I don't think this is a bad game I do think right now it's a little confused about what the series is. I'm constantly melee battling and the exploration seems very basic. It seems every room with a Chozo statue has the same breakable block in the middle of the floor.
I was not too high on it after my first night; got through zone 2 that night. It was solid and some of my core concerns didn't pan out, but I wasn't feeling it as much as I wanted to.

I think 4-8 are much better than the beginning. I fell in love with the game somewhere in there. Probably 5.

Perhaps you won't have this sort of turn-around.

Jaraghan

Just beat it. 100% at 10:05. It didn't blow me away like other titles, but it is still damn good. And it feels damn good to have Metroid back.

Final boss question/help though:

Can you parry Ridley's attacks? Usually there is a white flash indicator when an enemy attacks that you can parry them, but I didn't see one with Ridley. It was a hard as nails fight, especially since every mini cutscene had me thinking I took him down. Even with max energy tanks, my health would drop like a rock after getting hit a few times.

LeonSPBR

Just beat it. 100% at 10:05. It didn't blow me away like other titles, but it is still damn good. And it feels damn good to have Metroid back.

Can you parry Ridley's attacks? Usually there is a white flash indicator when an enemy attacks that you can parry them, but I didn't see one with Ridley. It was a hard as nails fight, especially since every mini cutscene had me thinking I took him down. Even with max energy tanks, my health would drop like a rock after getting hit a few times.

You can use the melee only when he tries to bite you. This happened twice for me in the entire past.

Opa-Pa

As the other user said, it can be done when he tries to bite you. He does it right after the metroid drains his energy, and it's a pretty fast attack so it's easy to miss.

Gartooth

Just finished the game and overall I had a really enjoyable time with it. I'm planning to go for 100% and after that I may do a speedrun of it. I'm really glad to see Metroid back, and if MercurySteam sticks with it then I think they built a really good foundation here. For context, I would rank the 2D games as Super > Zero Mission > Samus Returns > Fusion.

Pros:

+ Counter and free aim are really good mechanics that I think add a lot more depth to 2D Metroid combat. I think they really shine more later on in the game, as having to counter every bat I see early in the game was a pain.

+ Aion abilities are just a ton of fun to use and are good at doubling as environmental and combat safety nets for the player.

+ I didn't expect much from the presentation, but this game has great art direction. The backgrounds are littered with great scenery that gives SR388 more character than it ever had. It feels very reminiscent of the Prime games in a way.

+ Samus is cool as fuck in this game! I thought I would get tired of the cinematic finishers, but the animations are really fun to watch and I like the player participation in choosing which weapon to spam.

Cons:

- This game is like bullet sponge hell with the enemies. The regular enemies can be trashed pretty easily near the end of the game, but the bosses are just ridiculous. I think the
Diggernaut is what bothered me the most due to his huge health, and high damage on attacks that are really difficult to judge range and safe times to evade on.
Its a shame too because I thought that boss was mostly well designed, but the frustration soured me on it.

- Some of the puzzles are not well designed and can be frustrating to deal with. I can get halfway through a puzzle just to realize I won't get a reward, because now the game tells me I need an item from a future area.

- Some of the more difficult enemy and environmental challenges require near perfect execution with a small window of error. This is especially bothersome if I'm required to tap the touch screen to swap weapons, or quickly do a morph ball function.

- This may be a gripe to the series overall, but man is Metroid inconsistent with whether the game rewards you more for finishing it quickly (classic games) or for getting every item. (Prime games) I wish the game would've hinted at this so I could have focused on trying to get the ending I want from the start.

This may be a gripe to the series overall, but man is Metroid inconsistent with whether the game rewards you more for finishing it quickly (classic games) or for getting every item. (Prime games) I wish the game would've hinted at this so I could have focused on trying to get the ending I want from the start.

There are rewards both for fast time and 100% items in this game. It'd be hard to do both in one playthrough, though.

VDenter

Banned
I dont think i am feeling this game nearly as much as i thought i would. I am only about half way through the game so there is a chance things might pick up but so far the experience has been mediocre by Metroid standards. Its pretty telling since i cant play this game more than half an hour at most before getting pretty bored by the tedious combat. All enemies are bullet sponges and using the parry-move feels Other M levels of repetitive oh and there are barely more than three enemy types so far. The music is lackluster and all the areas look the same there is nothing really memorable about any area they all blend in. Too early to tell but so far this ranks way below Super,Fusion and Zero Mission. The best thing about the game is the free aim which is the only thing that feels like a substantial upgrade over the previous games.

Opa-Pa

I've been in love with Samus' new suit design since it was revealed for SR. I really like its "ancient chozo art-like" look, but I feel silly that I never noticed it's probably inspired by some ZM stuff.

I could be way off, but I was watching some ZM footage just now and I never noticed her suit actually changes slightly once you get the one from the ruins, and it resembles SR's as well:

gwzOoEu_d.webp

SGPR2su_d.webp

Granted, it's not 1:1, but they share the cooo lines on the shoulders and one of the pairs of lights on the legs.

Sure, the varia suit in ZM is, for some reason, a color swap of the regular naked suit, but the gravity look wasn't reused from Fusion either, so it was made with the ancient chozo ruins theme in mind.

ZM Varia:
obECqe8_d.webp

Fusion Varia:
LDqma8j_d.webp

Cool stuff!

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
+ Counter and free aim are really good mechanics that I think add a lot more depth to 2D Metroid combat. I think they really shine more later on in the game, as having to counter every bat I see early in the game was a pain.

I don't really see it. Counter just seems like an excuse to not have to learn any enemy movement patterns.

Oh a mutant Metroid? Time for EXCITING BATTLE! Counter, shoot missiles, then free aim it to death as it attempts to retreat. Welp, that one's dead. It almost got to do something! Rinse, lather repeat.

Yeah there are slight variations, but those aren't solved by learning what to counter. I can just shoot missiles at it until it drops.

So I can't see these diet QTE's actually lending the game depth. Just the opposite.

Defect

You have a chance to parry after the baby Metroid attacks him

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I love the crouch pose in this game, it looks so badass

N5UmwMf.png

Most poses are great, also when Samus looks back while free-aiming.

Amalthea

Banned
So I finally got my amiibo and started Fusion Mode, and damn! I really thought the Fusion suit was a lame recolor, but it's pretty detailed, has different textures and all, it looks great, it even has a different picture for Samus' suit in the abilities menu:

ujCwZNO.png

B2CXcHC.png
Freakin Mercury Steam making even the Fusion suit look cool.

Opa-Pa

I love the crouch pose in this game, it looks so badass

N5UmwMf.png

Most poses are great, also when Samus looks back while free-aiming.

I love when I counter an enemy attacking me from behind and Samus automatically turns to take it out, like saying "I saw that, you lil' shit". So cool.

JayBabay

I beat the game last night and 100% today, enjoyed it thoroughly the whole way through. I hope this game succeeds and we get more games like this. I don't mind any similarities it has with the OST or gameplay to other Metroid titles because it's been many years since I last played one. The nostalgia was enjoyed through and through.

CassSept

OK, after great Area 5 Area 6 is underwhelming and even worse
Diggernaut has to be up there as one of the worst bosses of the entire series. It exemplifies everything that is bad about this game, from bullet sponge enemies, to nonsensically high enemy damage output, to somewhat clunky controls that often work just fine but get problematic when the game asks you to do several things at once quickly, to bad pace resulting from having to wait forever to do anything. It's just boring. Most of the time I take damage because I'm bored from having to avoid same attack patterns over and over again that are not even complicated and never change.

Not really that difficult, but veery tedious.

Rated-G

Okay how the hell do you do the third part of the chase from the big drilling robot thing? It feels like there’s zero room for error and having to switch between standing and morph ball is so finicky, and I don’t have the dexterity to use the touch screen and immediately snap to aiming or whatever. This game was a cake walk until this point this feels like an incredible difficulty spike. Am I missing something?

Edit: to clarify I can get to the part where you have to grapple straight to the right twice back to back, and then it seems like I’m expected to spider up to a bombable spot on the wall but since this thing rubber bands, I never have enough time to roll to the top. I’ve been on this 20 second section for about two hours and it’s ... it blows.

Top Bottom