• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS3 gamespot review 8.7

AssMan

Banned
ChipNdales.jpg

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
akascream said:
I loved MGS1, but I didn't like MGS2 at all. If this one is worse then I'll pass. :(

It appears its more like MGS1

Solid

PuertoRicanJuice said:
It seems Gamespot is taking every series down a notch lately. Except GTA.
GTA:SA wasn't reviewed by Kasavin. And if it was I can guarantee you it would get a 8.7 too.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
From my governor? I have some great ideas about the proposed mileage tax.
Be honest now - is the game actually better or worse than MGS2, in your opinion? (saying that if you would score MGS2, now what score would it get?).

Ryu

At any rate, times have changed since Metal Gear Solid's last major outing, which is why some of the game's imperfections are harder to swallow today than they were in years past.

This about sums it up for the review. It's rife with very specific points which were pluses at one point and now those same points are minuses. The only thing that actually got worse, and this is more because of the environment then the actual mechanics of it, is the camera which has a top-down view that is totaly inadequate for the density of the jungle. Players will find themselves constantly switching between other views just to get a decent lay of the land which should be something that's automatically given with a game of this type. Regardless, it's MGS2 with plenty of new bells and whistles and a story that is sure to please those stung by the plot points of MGS2.

The only negative thing from the review that disappointed me is the following:

Snake will sometimes suffer deep cuts, fractures, burns, or other major injuries, indicated by part of his health meter turning red. You can treat these injuries literally at any time by going into your menu and using a combination of healing items like disinfectants, sutures, and bandages, all of which you'll usually have in ample supply. The idea of having to use survival medicine is a good one, but the abstract way in which you administer the treatments and the fact that you can heal yourself even in the middle of a firefight makes this system hard to swallow. It mostly just serves to interrupt the pacing of some of the game's major battles, since you'll find yourself switching to your cure menu each time you're hit.

I was hoping the injury-curing system was deeper than PAUSE->SELECT ITEM->UNPAUSE, and it looks like it will indeed become an annoyance during lengthy boss fights.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Reviews keep rolling in:

Gamespy: 4.5/5 (90%)

Despite a few flaws, Kojima's latest Metal Gear deftly combines compelling gameplay and narrative to create an extremely fun and fulfilling experience.

Pros
Super story, well-told; great characters; fun stealth gameplay; very long quest; replay-friendly; great graphics and sound.

Cons:
Aged camera system hurts gameplay; controls a tad convoluted; too much subscreen mucking; some characters aren't very developed.

adelgary said:
The only negative thing from the review that disappointed me is the following:

I was hoping the healing system was deeper than PAUSE->SELECT ITEM->UNPAUSE, and it looks like it will indeed become an annoyance in boss fights.

There's other ways of doing that also. Kojima said if Snake gets wounded they'll heal by your systems clock. So if he gets cut and you don't play it for a few days, they'll be healed when you start playing again.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
From the other reviews, i'd say we have another game to hang on IGNs "Games We Overrated" wall :p
EGM gave it 9.5 average, and there's couple of 9.0 reviews. I don't see 9.6 being anything significantly different than those. Actually, GS review is the only one < 9 right now.

mumu

The gamespy conclusion makes it sound like MGS3 is a great movie, just interrupted by some gameplay mechanics.

SolidSnakex said:
There's other ways of doing that also. Kojima said if Snake gets wounded they'll heal by your systems clock. So if he gets cut and you don't play it for a few days, they'll be healed when you start playing again.
:lol

SolidSnakex said:

I'm really starting to think that you receive a dollar for every time you include "Kojima said" in one of your posts.

Kabuki Waq said:
are the cut scenes as long as they were in MGS2?

IGN said it's basically the same amount of cutscenes, more gameplay time and alot less codec sequences. They said you'll never see a cutscene where it's just 2 characters standing there talking, its very action packed.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The only thing that actually got worse, and this is more because of the environment then the actual mechanics of it, is the camera which has a top-down view that is totaly inadequate for the density of the jungle.
From the MGS3 demo, I thought the camera is friendlier and more useful than it was in MGS2, as you can move and stick it to a position you like. I hope that system is not going to break further into the game.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
he's trolling because he summed up a review?
One could think that seeing how their introduction summary says:

I walked into Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater with high hopes but also a little skepticism. After all, the much-hyped MGS2 didn't quite live up to the phenomenal expectations we all had. But four marathon play sessions later, I emerged a changed gamer. (Then I peed.) Players who've dialed down their expectations are in for a pleasant surprise. Snake Eater is not only a return to form for series creator Hideo Kojima, it's probably the best Metal Gear Solid game yet.

and the ending summary says:

With MGS3, Kojima has reclaimed his place as gaming's premier cinematic storyteller. The ultra-cool story scenes perfectly complement the lengthy and engrossing gameplay sequences, resulting in a wonderful ride for both series enthusiasts and action/adventure fans in general. And the lengthy quest, multiple difficulties, confusing plot tidbits and piles of neat details and secrets mean you'll want to play it long after the ending is first reached. While some serious camera and less serious interface problems keep it from perfection, Snake Eater is both an exciting return to form and the most successful fusion yet of video games with Hollywood-style storytelling. If this sounds at all intriguing, I suggest you commence your hunt for a copy immediately. Just ... don't eat it.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I've never participated in a "omg teh score is 2 low" thread...but this...this is just bullshit.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
This thread is surreal.

The most diehard Metal Gear fans seem content with the review. The desperation is on the face of trolls who don't want them to be satisfied. How pathetic is that?

Mrbob

Having played the first two MGS games, I think the complaints he has with MGS3 are valid.

Give us a 3rd person behind the shoulder viewpoint Konami.

This thread is surreal.

The most diehard Metal Gear fans seem content with the review. The desperation is on the face of trolls who don't want them to be satisfied. How pathetic is that?

Yup. We agree for once! MGS bringing gamers together!

mumu

Ok let me rephrase: The gamespy conclusion makes it sound like MGS3 is a great movie like experience, just interrupted by some gameplay mechanics. Hope that's more clear.

Top Bottom