• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michelle Alexander: Why Hillary Clinton Doesn’t Deserve the Black Vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

G.ZZZ

The concept of "black" vote is stupid in the first place. Aside from not voting republicans for obvious choices, "blacks" are just people who vote whatever they want to for any reason they like to. Trends are not people.

I only have one issue with this article. People aren't being coaxed into voting for Clinton.

There are plenty of reasons black folks may want to vote for Clinton. One I've heard quite a bit is that they just don't want to take a chance with Bernie. Whether people want to believe it or not, Bernie is a risk.

A risk of a Republican Win, and a risk for one term.

Valhelm

contribute something
The concept of "black" vote is stupid in the first place. Aside from not voting republicans for obvious choices, "blacks" are just people who vote whatever they want to for any reason they like to. Trends are not people.

Every ethnic group (including less visible ones, like German Americans and Scots-Irish Americans) votes differently, on average. There's no need to deny this.

Infinite

Not sure why people feel this way when we have terms like Christian vote as well.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Really? That's shallow? I know people who didn't vote for Kerry simply because he was ugly. Ugly. Voting for a candidate because they want to work on your issues (or at least say they will) is pretty not shallow.

Well, his stated reasoning was "I won't vote Bernie because he's from a state with a large white majority". That sounds shallow to me.

It's as if many of the people that are now admonishing Bill Clinton's policies and compromises back then, and by extension, Hillary's, were too young to fully grasp how messed up of a hand Bill Clinton was dealt with in the 90s....

Michele Alexander is a great writer but she has the benefit of hindsight and many of the compromises done by Bill in the 90s was to prevent utter disaster for whatever the Gingrich congress had their sights on at the time. to simply handwave it and dismiss it as 'those were bad, mmmkay' without any context is just as bad as blaming everything on Obama nowadays.

It always irks me when my fellow LGBT folkcs complain that Clinton signed DOMA and DADT. He only begridgingly did so to prevent an even disastrous constitutional ammendment at the time. Democrats and progressives are their own worse enemy more often than now. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, indeed.

SheSaidNo

I only have one issue with this article. People aren't being coaxed into voting for Clinton.

There are plenty of reasons black folks may want to vote for Clinton. One I've heard quite a bit is that they just don't want to take a chance with Bernie. Whether people want to believe it or not, Bernie is a risk.

I've seen this argument a lot on this forum and while I sort of agree with it it kind of contradicts the idea of politicians having to earn the black vote instead of takin it for granted. A lot of policies around minority issues aren't popular in the general election. Fearing a republican win and voting for the safest choice creates no incentive for politicians to earn the black vote

Yoda

Just one of many categories, if a group of people vote via similar patterns, then it's worth seeing which way said group is leaning towards. To be honest, there isn't very much criticism of Obama in this article, and a lot of what she mentioned is getting remedied (if at all) at a snails pace.

atr0cious

I've seen this argument a lot on this forum and while I sort of agree with it it kind of contradicts the idea of politicians having to earn the black vote instead of takin it for granted. A lot of policies around minority issues aren't popular in the general election. Fearing a republican win and voting for the safest choice creates no incentive for politicians to earn the black vote

We should have like a black town hall debate series, where we have candidates tell us what they would do to help minorities and specifically the black community. Of course it'll only play after 2 am during BETS after dark videos segment so as to not hurt the candidates chances in the general.

Yep, You're never getting reparations with a conservative court. You may get it with a liberal court even if the head of the executive never officially supported it.

We should have like a black town hall debate series, where we have candidates tell us what they would do to help minorities and specifically the black community. Of course it'll only play after 2 am during BETS after dark videos segment so as to not hurt the candidates chances in the general.
On that note, what would the "correct" answers be? What types of policies do you think would be best here? Since I'm not black, I don't want to claim I understand how leveling the economic playing field (or at least lifting up the bottom) isn't a satisfactory answer, but why isn't it, and what would be better?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

There was one! The Black & Brown Iowa Forum, here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt3n7ugOj80

Features Clinton, Sanders and O'Malley in a town hall style scenario featuring questions solely from minority voters in Iowa.

Fuchsdh

Government welfare programs historically have not been for blacks, so there's already one hurdle. On top of this, whites just don't see our problems as theirs: unemployment, education, healthcare, and more, blacks have it worse. The justice systems rules on punishment for drug offenders is just now getting looked at because of white parents starting to feel it too.

Which seems like the failure of progressive groups. As has been pointed out in BLM threads, while blacks are disproportionately affected by issues of police misconduct, there are more white people getting killed by police every year than any other group. But it's been turned into this "white cops shooting black people" caricature that even cases such as Freddie Gray have failed to rectify.

Yep, You're never getting reparations with a conservative court. You may get it with a liberal court even if the head of the executive never officially supported it.

A liberal court is never going to authorize reparations either, either on principle or the pragmatic fact that they have literally no power to do so.

On that note, what would the "correct" answers be? What types of policies do you think would be best here? Since I'm not black, I don't want to claim I understand how leveling the economic playing field (or at least lifting up the bottom) isn't a satisfactory answer, but why isn't it, and what would be better?
Ending stop and frisk policies nation wide for one.
Better inner city schools. And an end to the death penalty, which has always been racialized.

Infinite

This isn't a precise answer to your question but Coates latest article may help give you a larger of idea of that particularly dilemma

atr0cious

My dream candidate would pledge to rebuild low income communities(billions injected into school systems, better support and pay for teachers in those areas), Just repaving the streets in the hood would help with car bills. Day care for working families. immediately start no debt loan programs for students in those schools. Free college for anybody with one drop that can get in.

The black American majority has been almost irreparably fucked due to the current state of affairs. Reparations is obviously off the table, as they can't even leave the native Americans alone. What's left is a solid realistic plan to get blacks on equal footing. Don't forget, a lot of us come from families that were literally bred for generations to do little more than fuck and work, where free thinking was forbidden. We need a plan to invest in the black american before its too late, but its probably too late.

RDreamer

Hiliary is getting my 'black vote' because I feel she has done enough to appeal compared to Sanders who comes from a state in which black people, hell minorities et all are a novelty and he's never had to appeal to them in the first place.

There is no 'lesser evil' choice here. She is the only real choice to me.

I don't want this to come across as a white dude questioning your vote, but I am curious if there's something that Bernie could do in order to appeal to you. Is there something he hasn't done or has done that has specifically turned you off?

Personally I thought after meeting with Black Lives Matter and even hiring Symone Sanders as national press secretary he did something pretty big that Hillary didn't really replicate as far as I've seen. She's walked back a lot of her old positions but I haven't specifically seen her reaching out the way Bernie has had to.

Michelle Alexander, author of the seminal  The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness wrote this article for the Nation. I thought it was worth a share, because it pinpoints some of the issues with Clinton (and also Sanders' non-commitment to reparations and the Democratic Party's failures):
Her book has been ALL over the place as of late and it has been recommended on GAF a lot. This is the perfect excuse to do what I should have done a long time ago. Gonna check the book out after giving her article a very thorough read.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I don't want this to come across as a white dude questioning your vote, but I am curious if there's something that Bernie could do in order to appeal to you. Is there something he hasn't done or has done that has specifically turned you off?

Personally I thought after meeting with Black Lives Matter and even hiring Symone Sanders as national press secretary he did something pretty big that Hillary didn't really replicate as far as I've seen. She's walked back a lot of her old positions but I haven't specifically seen her reaching out the way Bernie has had to.

Hilary hasn't had to reach because she's been talking about black issues before she even announced she was running.

Some might argue that it’s unfair to judge Hillary Clinton for the policies her husband championed years ago. But Hillary wasn’t picking out china while she was first lady. She bravely broke the mold and redefined that job in ways no woman ever had before. She not only campaigned for Bill; she also wielded power and significant influence once he was elected, lobbying for legislation and other measures. That record, and her statements from that era, should be scrutinized. In her support for the 1994 crime bill, for example, she used racially coded rhetoric to cast black children as animals. “They are not just gangs of kids anymore,” she said. “They are often the kinds of kids that are called ‘super-predators.’ No conscience, no empathy. We can talk about why they ended up that way, but first we have to bring them to heel.”
WTF? Was she really talking about black kids here? Again WTF?

No presidential candidate has ever "deserved" black vote.

To vote in the United States as a black person is to vote for the candidate least likely to fuck us over, or if both sides going to fuck us over the one that will at least buy us Red Lobster afterwards.

This is just sad.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Most blacks would not even support reparations over having a fairer system and fixing systemic crime issues and symptoms. I don't see how that matters when the actual problems we're facing right now are only really supported by one candidate.

Just based on the fact that the Clinton fully supported the crime bill and called it the best bill while Bernie didn't support it and stated his reasons for that when he voted for it with the violence against women provision.

Clinton has no such fallback for every other piece of legislation on a race based and class based basis that separates them.

That is before the fact that she is subservient to interests outside of us to begin with.

There's a reason why Coates, despite bringing up Reparations is still voting for Bernie over Hillary

Log4Girlz

No it is not easier to start a new party. If we do not change our voting system and get rid of first past the post, there will always be political monopolies. If you are a conservative, the only power is the republican party. If you are in any way even slightly liberal, its going to be the Democratic party. And that won't change for good, long, long time. The system is rigged in their favor.

RDreamer

Hilary hasn't had to reach because she's been talking about black issues before she even announced she was running.

I don't want to get into some big defense of Bernie here, because I'm about as far from one of those Bernie stans as possible, but truthfully he's been talking about black issues for a while, too.

I don't want to make assumptions about a group I'm not a part of but I'm not entirely sure that it's the issue swaying the black population from Bernie. I think electability is probably an even larger issue along with some of the other great things people were pointing out in the NH Primary thread.

Anyway, I also didn't really want my particular question to be a Bernie vs Hillary argument. I'm just kind of asking that voter what he would like to see someone like Bernie do in order to reach out enough.

Hiliary is getting my 'black vote' because I feel she has done enough to appeal compared to Sanders who comes from a state in which black people, hell minorities et all are a novelty and he's never had to appeal to them in the first place.

So a guy that hasn't had a chance before now in his political campaigns to appeal to minorities shouldn't be given a chance? Guilty until proven innocent? The context given the discussion of minority marginalization makes for some delicious irony, especially given Sanders is a minority (Jew) which is a group who has also been historically marginalized and persecuted.

Sinoox

Banned

Hillary doesn't care about you or anyone here. She not only doesn't deserve the black vote, she doesn't deserve any votes.

phanphare

Banned
So a guy that hasn't had a chance before now in his political campaigns to appeal to minorities shouldn't be given a chance? Guilty until proven innocent? The context given the discussion of minority marginalization makes for some delicious irony, especially given Sanders is a minority (Jew) which is a group who has also been historically marginalized and persecuted.

not to mention that Sanders is in America because, like most American Jews, his family was affected by the Holocaust

that's actually one of his motivators for being in politics, the thought that something as awful as the Holocaust came up legally through government

Briarios

Reparations are a non-starter, they'll never happen. Better to focus on programs and education to lift people out of poverty, but you'll never get a majority of people to agree to give people money for bad things that happened to their ancestors generations before.

The idea of starting a new party troubles me - not that it shouldn't happen, but because we'd probably just end up seeing the new party take Democrat votes away, but not enough to be able to win.

Infinite

Reparations are a non-starter, they'll never happen. Better to focus on programs and education to lift people out of poverty, but you'll never get a majority of people to agree to give people money for bad things that happened to their ancestors generations before.
I don't think she mentioned it bro

Chichikov

I guess your're too young to remember the "super-predator" scare of the early 90s.
It was not strictly a racist term, at least not completely (if nothing else, white kids got fucked by that shit too) but I seriously doubt this crap would've got traction with mainstream America without at least implying that damn crazy black animals are coming to murder to you. And a lot of people who pushed the idea of the super predator straight up tied it to black kids.

I don't know the exact context of the Clinton's quote there, but I know that she's a smart enough politician to know the racial implication of what she said.

p.s.
It should probably goes without saying but I'll say it anyway - the super predator scare was bullshit pushed by conservative think tanks and publications (that you the weekly standard) and criminologists who were just fucking terrible at their fucking job.
For real, go read about their arguments, they were wrong about pretty much everything, it almost better for those fuckers to admit they were fucking racist.

No presidential candidate has ever "deserved" black vote.

To vote in the United States as a black person is to vote for the candidate least likely to fuck us over, or if both sides going to fuck us over the one that will at least buy us Red Lobster afterwards.

I'm curious, do you personally feel that black people were fucked over by Obama? In what way, if so?

e: woah, Chichikov is a mod now. That's a pretty good choice I think

Macam

Banned

Directly? No. But the term, which was all the rage at the time, definitely had a racial tinge to it:

New York Times said:
"Inescapably, superpredator dread had a racial component. What the doomsayers focused on, in the main, were young male African-Americans. For Steven A. Drizin, a law professor at Northwestern University writing for The Huffington Post last September, the deep-seated fear that any black teenager in a hoodie must be up to no good was essentially what got Trayvon Martin killed in Florida two years ago."

AxelFoley

Basically this, for me.

noshten

Black leaders who support Hillary Clinton slam Bernie Sanders on race issues

"Bernie Sanders as mayor, as a member of the House, as a member of the United States Senate, has been missing in action on issues that are important to the African Americans," said Rep. Hakeem Jeffries, a Democrat from New York. "There’s no credibility to the things that are being said at the twilight of his political career."

"It's good to have new friends, I would prefer to have a true friend," Jeffries said. "Hillary Clinton has been a true friend to the African American community for the last 40 years."

Rutherford joined Jeffries in sharply denouncing Sanders for being "missing in action" on issues that matter to black voters.

Rutherford faulted Sanders for voting in favor of a 1994 Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act, which has been blamed for helping to usher in an era of mass incarceration. Former president Bill Clinton, who signed the bill into law, has expressed regret for the consequences of the legislation.

"He only really started talking about issues concerning African Americans in the last 40 days," Rutherford said. "On the question of social justice for African Americans, the record is thin."

Another Clinton endorser on the call, Hazel Dukes, a former president of the New York chapter of the NAACP, suggested that Sanders never had to think about issues that concern African Americans because he was an elected official in a state that is "essentially homogeneous."

Dukes discounted the fact that Sanders participated in the March on Washington with thousands of others and Martin Luther King Jr. in the 1960s, and also that as a college student, he was arrested for protesting segregated housing at the University of Chicago.

"He was probably a participant," Dukes said of the March on Washington. "There were many people participating in that march, so what does that mean?"

"I walked in Washington. Thousands of people walked in Washington," she added.

Bernie Sanders on The War On Drugs - August last year(aka not in the last 40 days) ;)

Should be a fun few weeks.

kirblar

p.s.
It should probably goes without saying but I'll say it anyway - the super predator scare was bullshit pushed by conservative think tanks and publications (that you the weekly standard) and criminologists who were just fucking terrible at their fucking job.
For real, go read about their arguments, they were wrong about pretty much everything, it almost better for those fuckers to admit they were fucking racist.
The whole thing with lead meant the criminologists were missing the forest for the trees for about a century, it seems like.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Seems like a lot of fucking talk, and that's it.

???

What else is she going to do at the moment?

I don't want to get into some big defense of Bernie here, because I'm about as far from one of those Bernie stans as possible, but truthfully he's been talking about black issues for a while, too.

I don't want to make assumptions about a group I'm not a part of but I'm not entirely sure that it's the issue swaying the black population from Bernie. I think electability is probably an even larger issue along with some of the other great things people were pointing out in the NH Primary thread.

Anyway, I also didn't really want my particular question to be a Bernie vs Hillary argument. I'm just kind of asking that voter what he would like to see someone like Bernie do in order to reach out enough.

The problem with black voters early on was that Bernie would only talk about his economic policies, billionaires and trillionaires and what not, to the exclusion of everything else especially issues within the black community prevalent at the moment and which were dominating news cycles. This led supporters to talk about his civil rights record and other stuff he's done in the past but didn't mean squat since he hadn't spoken about the issues affecting the black community NOW. Eventually after BLM and other folks called him out he finally started to respond to those issues. However, even now it's not a primary talking point of his but rather he still shifts back to his economic policies.

On the other hand, Hilary has been speaking about those very hot button issues affecting minorities and the black community from the very start. She spoke out when Trayvon Martin was killed, she was speaking to black organizations about the need to deal with systemic racism within police departments, she was talking about Eric Garner. She didn't have to be coaxed into speaking about these issues she was talking about them from the start.

Now, despite everything I just said I'm not against Bernie Sanders but I am trying to display why many black people support Hilary over him. You can talk about the rising tide lifting all ships all you want but if you aren't even going to speak about the issues affecting minorities then it's hard for people to trust you have their back. Also Hilary just announced that she will Campaign With The Mothers Of Trayvon Martin And Eric Garner

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Michelle Alexander, author of the seminal  The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness wrote this article for the Nation. I thought it was worth a share, because it pinpoints some of the issues with Clinton (and also Sanders' non-commitment to reparations and the Democratic Party's failures):

Continuing Reagan's legacy:

Increasing federal and state prison inmates:

Judging Hilary:

The current state of the Clintons:

On Bernie Sanders:

On the failures of the Democratic Party:

http://www.thenation.com/article/hillary-clinton-does-not-deserve-black-peoples-votes/

"bring them to heel"? Holy shit.

Chichikov

The whole thing with lead meant the criminologists were missing the forest for the trees for about a century, it seems like.
I have read some articles that support and oppose the lead theory and honestly, I don't really have the tools to evaluate them myself. But really, read what is probably most famous article on that subject (The Weekly Standard's 1995 "THE COMING OF THE SUPER -- PREDATORS") to see what level of bullshit we're talking about here.

Fucking "moral poverty" bullshit, but hey, anything so we don't have to deal with actual poverty, right?

Briarios

Nope. She mentioned it in reference to Coates who did. That's a small tangent which has little to do with the topic of Hillary earning the black vote.

In other words, she brought up reparations in the article she wrote to state she agrees with Coates. So, yep ...

Reading comprehension, man ... It's right there in the text.

royalan

Do people forget that the black community supported tougher crime laws in the 90's after being ravaged by gang violence for years? Did we forget how big the Blood v. Crip wars were and people screaming that something had to be done? In hindsight, those policies have come back to hurt us in the long run but to act like the Clintons just up and capitulated to right wing forces by enacting harsher crime statues which they knew would disproportionately affect the black community is utter nonsense.

At least Hilary is able to come out and recognize that there is a problem and is ready to make changes to roll back those policies.

This too. It's like context doesn't matter.

I hate to say it, but this post is pretty close to right.

I'm from California. I grew up in the South Central/Compton parts of LA. Back in the 90s gang violence was not just a talking point in the media, it was a concern within a lot of black communities as well. And hell the Los Angeles Riots had JUST happened. And while the anger and unrest that resulted in the riots was certainly legit (the Rodney King beating), the resulting violence left a lot of black families scared. A lot of black people living in these neighborhoods were for tougher drug/crime laws back then, it's all I heard growing up. It seemed like very few people realized how disproportionately it would effect black communities.

Sanders has his issues.
I'm not sure half the Democratic establishment coming out now,after Iowa, to take personal shots at Sanders and his constituency is a good look for Hillary, but whatever.

Clinton very begrudgingly signed a lot of what the Gingrich congress sent him, some of this stuff after two attempted vetoes. This is not really a fair charge.

But he signed it. This is, respectfully, a cop-out. He also campaigned on signing it and capitalized politically on this stuff.

I like Michelle Alexander, but I think she's being particularly handwaving about this:

I don't think it's fair to attack a woman for what her husband did or signed, and I think the role of the FLOTUS is uniquely positioned (and Hillary's position) as someone who was used, albeit by her own volition, as a way to sell third wave policies to the left and to placate them. A lot of this is some less-than-interesting hindsight without the context from the 90s, which seems to be the par for the course for the left since Obama's election.

I also think we're getting into very messy territory when we talk about "The Clintons", as if they are one monolithic entity, or if every action that Bill takes as president is reflective of his wife's beliefs.

She addresses this in the piece.

Some might argue that it’s unfair to judge Hillary Clinton for the policies her husband championed years ago. But Hillary wasn’t picking out china while she was first lady. She bravely broke the mold and redefined that job in ways no woman ever had before. She not only campaigned for Bill; she also wielded power and significant influence once he was elected, lobbying for legislation and other measures. That record, and her statements from that era, should be scrutinized. In her support for the 1994 crime bill, for example, she used racially coded rhetoric to cast black children as animals. “They are not just gangs of kids anymore,” she said. “They are often the kinds of kids that are called ‘super-predators.’ No conscience, no empathy. We can talk about why they ended up that way, but first we have to bring them to heel.”

I think that's fair criticism, and Hilary's characterization of young black men as animals fits right in with the rhetoric from the openly-racist right wing.

Do people forget that the black community supported tougher crime laws in the 90's after being ravaged by gang violence for years? Did we forget how big the Blood v. Crip wars were and people screaming that something had to be done? In hindsight, those policies have come back to hurt us in the long run but to act like the Clintons just up and capitulated to right wing forces by enacting harsher crime statues which they knew would disproportionately affect the black community is utter nonsense.

She addresses this in the piece.

Of course, it can be said that it’s unfair to criticize the Clintons for punishing black people so harshly, given that many black people were on board with the “get tough” movement too. It is absolutely true that black communities back then were in a state of crisis, and that many black activists and politicians were desperate to get violent offenders off the streets. What is often missed, however, is that most of those black activists and politicians weren’t asking only for toughness. They were also demanding investment in their schools, better housing, jobs programs for young people, economic-stimulus packages, drug treatment on demand, and better access to healthcare. In the end, they wound up with police and prisons. To say that this was what black people wanted is misleading at best.

I find a number of the counter-arguments to this piece that I have seen in this thread to be incomplete or unfair and revisionist in order to prop up Bill Clinton as a great president. He might have been for Silicon Valley. He wasn't for most black people.

And before someone uses the ad hominem of "Oh, you weren't old enough to understand back then," I was a senior in high school by the time Clinton was out of office, so you can lay that particular attack to rest.

RDreamer

If you're black, there's nothing pragmatic about voting for Clinton.

Condescending much?

There's a lot pragmatic about a Clinton vote. She's more electable than Bernie in the current US climate and when the opposing viewpoint in this country will fuck you over quite a bit more you tend to want to make sure that viewpoint has the least chance to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom