• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Giolon

Probably the usual appxbundlemanifest.xml and appxmanifest.xml files broke themselves. Something in the appcache is causing this bug.

Happened to me a few builds ago.

You can open up PowerShell as admin and run the following commands.

I forgot what I used, so this is what turned up on search. I had to type commands in as copy and paste weren't working either.

Command input is not case sensitive.

Code:
Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperience* -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + “\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml”)}

Code:
Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Reboot afterwards.

I knew about that second command and gave it a try after the issues w/ app installation, but didn't know about the first command. Anyways, it's too late now unless MS will still let me upgrade to 10166 via ISO and then windows update to 10240. I'm not sure if it'll still recognize my prior activation. Thanks for the info though.

clav

I upgraded to a SSD drive on a test setup today.

I noticed a 450 MB Recovery Partition is placed at the end of the drive.

After reimaging using the built-in system image feature in File History, I could not increase the partition size due to the order.

Boot Partition | OS | Recovery | Uninitialized Space

Loaded up GParted via a live session of XUbuntu on a USB stick and moved the Recovery partition back. Expanded the leftover space to the OS.

No bugs so far.

Blitzhex

Anyone elses monitor not going on standby when you Windows + L? My monitor stays active forever at the lockscreen, whereas in w8.1 it would standby after 5-10 secs.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Total newbie when it comes to installing/upgrading OS on a machine with existing OS (I always to fresh, clean installs). Will my programs remain intact and installed when I updated to W10?

Teggy

So I just hit Windows+G to try out game dvr and windows restarted, installed some updates and went into full "upgrading Windows" mode with the black screen and circle filling up. Is this because the initial install is missing some components or was it just a coincidence and a new preview build is installing?

So I just hit Windows+G to try out game dvr and windows restarted, installed some updates and went into full "upgrading Windows" mode with the black screen and circle filling up. Is this because the initial install is missing some components or was it just a coincidence and a new preview build is installing?
That shouldn't have happened. Pretty weird.

Teggy

So interesting - when the install finished it no longer has the preview version in the bottom right corner - is this the release version?

Edit: it's still build 10240, although that could be the release build.

TTOOLL

Ok, I'm on 10240 now. When will I be able to do a clean install?

Also, I have recently had and error while performing a clean install which tells me that my partition is MBR and windows can only be installed on a GPT partition. Is there a way to avoid this? I've found some tutorials on YT and I was able to convert using Diskpart. I lost all my partitions though. Any idea on this?

Hey windows 10 peoples. I just discovered this hot tip for Win10 yesterday. Run these commands in the Powershell as administrator.

Get-AppxPackage -allusers | Where-Object {$_.Name -eq "Microsoft.XboxApp"} | remove-appxpackage
Get-AppxPackage -allusers | Where-Object {$_.Name -eq "Microsoft.XboxLIVEGames"} | remove-appxpackage
Get-AppxPackage -allusers | Where-Object {$_.Name -eq "Microsoft.XboxIdentityProvider"} | remove-appxpackage
Get-AppxPackage -allusers | Where-Object {$_.Name -eq "Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI"} | remove-appxpackage

It makes games like CSGO playable once again without any of that nasty forced v-sync business by getting rid of the silly xbox app.

Dmented

Banned
Hey windows 10 peoples. I just discovered this hot tip for Win10 yesterday. Run these commands in the Powershell as administrator.

It makes games like CSGO playable once again without any of that nasty forced v-sync business by getting rid of the silly xbox app.

Or just disable Game DVR? Works fine for me.

SHarris78

I've reserved my copy of Windows 10, but want to format my hard drive ahead of release to start afresh.

After formatting and re-installing my copy of Windows 7, and after all the updates have downloaded and installed, will the Windows 10 icon still appear in the tray and my reservation still be 'active', or will my PC be seen as a different computer after re-formatting and i'll be unable to download it?

FrsDvl

So I went back to 8.1 a while ago. If I install Windows 10 from the .ISO that I still have, will it let me upgrade to the latest (rtm) build, and be activated? Or is it best to just wait till the 29th and upgrade my Win8.1?

So I have a windows 8 key and want to install the ISO of the RTM I found floating around, but when I try to install it says I can't install with the Windows 8 key. I assume it wants a Windows 10 key instead?

edit: Ah, I think I have a Windows 8.1 pro version with Media center. I'm guessing the iSO I downloaded is just regular windows 10.

So I have a windows 8 key and want to install the ISO of the RTM I found floating around, but when I try to install it says I can't install with the Windows 8 key. I assume it wants a Windows 10 key instead?

edit: Ah, I think I have a Windows 8.1 pro version with Media center. I'm guessing the iSO I downloaded is just regular windows 10.

There's no Windows 10 with Media Center (MC is dead and removed during the upgrade) and you can't activate a clean install of Windows 10 with your Windows 8 key. You have to upgrade from the OS. That's why they call it a free upgrade.

There's no Windows 10 with Media Center (MC is dead and removed during the upgrade) and you can't activate a clean install of Windows 10 with your Windows 8 key. You have to upgrade from the OS. That's why they call it a free upgrade.

Ok that's fine, but why are ISO's of Windows 10 floating around now?

hlhbk

Word to the wise: If you use an optical cable using dolby digital live or something similar to make the optical sound 5.1 DO NOT INSTALL WINDOWS 10 YET! I installed the latest version of Windows 10 in the preview program and since the audio stack has been completely rewritten for Windows 10 I couldn't get the optical sound to work using multiple audio cards.

Knight77

I'm not sure but what I did was do an upgrade and then do a system refresh from within the OS which is basically a clean install. It kept my Windows 8.1 key..

My Windows 8.1 has been partitioned as MBR but for a new install I'd like to partition it as GTP so I could activate Ultra Fast Boot. Following the method you used, is there a way to do it or I really need to wait for a clean install?

clav

My Windows 8.1 has been partitioned as MBR but for a new install I'd like to partition it as GTP so I could activate Ultra Fast Boot. Following the method you used, is there a way to do it or I really need to wait for a clean install?
Interesting scenario. I wonder how Windows 10 would handle the upgrade. Probably will work since it handles much like Windows 8.1.

Clean install is the easiest way to achieve fast boot for you.

You could try rebuilding the partition structure yourself if you wish to keep your current installation without reinstalling files/OS although you will spend some time backing up the current system.

Don't know if you are willing to spend the time to do that.

I could theoretically write a tutorial for Windows 8.

1. Basically you backup your current OS system to another hard drive in case something goes wrong. Use a backup image system of your choice since it's a simple MBR setup. Windows has one built-in.

From here you will not be able to boot back to Windows making these changes.

2. Use a partitioning tool like GParted in a live Linux session of XUbuntu and set aside at least 529 MB of free space before your current partition (i.e. system OS goes to the far right.)

3. Create partitions using diskpart and install boot images via command prompt in a Windows recovery or setup session on DVD or USB.

A lot of of details missing, but it should be doable. Again, clean install would be the easiest route.

You cannot upgrade from an Mbr installed version of Windows to a gpt partition. It must be done from scratch. I ran into the same issue installing 8.1 to prepare for the 10 upgrade. They are two very different kinds of bios run partions. Gpt also takes more room because it makes a backup partition of the bare components of the OS. Gpt is the way to go. It is noticeably faster at boot than classic MBR format.

You will also need to prepare a gpt formatted windows install disc or USB in Rufus. It's very foolproof.

clav

Ugh, looks like drivers for my sound card (Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD) won't be available until October: http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=126331
Hmm, upgrade to windows 10 (from 7) later this month and have no sound, or stay on Windows 7 for now...

I would wait. That sounds about the time when Update 1 for Windows 10 comes out (rumored).

You cannot upgrade from an Mbr installed version of Windows to a gpt partition. It must be done from scratch. I ran into the same issue installing 8.1 to prepare for the 10 upgrade. They are two very different kinds of bios run partions. Gpt also takes more room because it makes a backup partition of the bare components of the OS. Gpt is the way to go. It is noticeably faster at boot than classic MBR format.

You will also need to prepare a gpt formatted windows install disc or USB in Rufus. It's very foolproof.

I read about people who have done it successfully. You basically move the main OS partition to the back and create partitions in the front since they're NTFS based with images already present on the OS while using restore commands.

DarkFlow

Banned
Ugh, looks like drivers for my sound card (Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD) won't be available until October: http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=126331
Hmm, upgrade to windows 10 (from 7) later this month and have no sound, or stay on Windows 7 for now...

At least they are updating them. I had Sound Blaster Evos and I had given up hope they would update the drivers, so this good news for me at least.

I would wait. That sounds about the time when Update 1 for Windows 10 comes out (rumored).

I read about people who have done it successfully. You basically move the main OS partition to the back and create partitions in the front since they're NTFS based with images already present on the OS while using restore commands.
I was not aware of this method. I guess if you want to mess around with commands and stuff that's fine. But it's not officially supported by Microsoft. Nice to know though.

Knight77

Interesting scenario. I wonder how Windows 10 would handle the upgrade. Probably will work since it handles much like Windows 8.1.

Clean install is the easiest way to achieve fast boot for you.

You could try rebuilding the partition structure yourself if you wish to keep your current installation without reinstalling files/OS although you will spend some time backing up the current system.

Don't know if you are willing to spend the time to do that.

I could theoretically write a tutorial for Windows 8.

1. Basically you backup your current OS system to another hard drive in case something goes wrong. Use a backup image system of your choice since it's a simple MBR setup. Windows has one built-in.

From here you will not be able to boot back to Windows making these changes.

2. Use a partitioning tool like GParted in a live Linux session of XUbuntu and set aside at least 529 MB of free space before your current partition (i.e. system OS goes to the far right.)

3. Create partitions using diskpart and install boot images via command prompt in a Windows recovery or setup session on DVD or USB.

A lot of of details missing, but it should be doable. Again, clean install would be the easiest route.

Thanks !

I think I'll go with a clean install. The point is that updating from W8.1 I'm sure I won't have any activation problem since my windows is a genuine one but if I format and go with a clean install...?

Thanks !

I think I'll go with a clean install. The point is that updating from W8.1 I'm sure I won't have any activation problem since my windows is a genuine one but if I format and go with a clean install...?
Clean install 8.1->install 10 upgrade or insider preview. Both will give you a valid 10 key on the 29th.

Knight77

Clean install 8.1->install 10 upgrade or insider preview. Both will give you a valid 10 key on the 29th.

It's gonna take sooooo long....But technically I format, reinstall with GTP, then upgrade to 10...then? I mean someone said to reformat and perform a clean W10 but it's weird for me. Shouldn't I just choose to do not keep any file when I upgrade to 10? Isn't it enough? Or is there a way to upgrade and then make it even "cleaner" ?

By the way, what about the dpi problem I asked about here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=172186762&postcount=5196
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=172206541&postcount=5199

Or is only me noticing it?

Boss Doggie

Weird, my bro fully updated windows update but still don't have it pop out. His lappy has though (and it isn't eligible due to requirements).

It's gonna take sooooo long....But technically I format, reinstall with GTP, then upgrade to 10...then? I mean someone said to reformat and perform a clean W10 but it's weird for me. Shouldn't I just choose to do not keep any file when I upgrade to 10? Isn't it enough? Or is there a way to upgrade and then make it even "cleaner" ?

By the way, what about the dpi problem I asked about here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=172186762&postcount=5196
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=172206541&postcount=5199

Or is only me noticing it?
Honestly, since we're so close to public release you should just upgrade your current MBR installation and then do a clean windows 10 installation after you get a hold of an official windows 10 release ISO. Once your 8 license is converted to 10 after the 29th you can go clean without any extra hurdles.

As for your scaling issues, could be based. I read on thurrott.com that multi monitor dpi scaling was fixed in the most recent builds this month.

Knight77

Honestly, since we're so close to public release you should just upgrade your current MBR installation and then do a clean windows 10 installation after you get a hold of an official windows 10 release ISO. Once your 8 license is converted to 10 after the 29th you can go clean without any extra hurdles.

As for your scaling issues, could be based. I read on thurrott.com that multi monitor dpi scaling was fixed in the most recent builds this month.

Thanks for the suggestion.

So in the end what is the difference between upgrade confirming to do not keep anything from the previous system and upgrade then make a reset/refresh via troubleshoot menu?

Valravn

I installed Windows 10 this morning. I really like it.
Is there a way to set a dark theme? All the windows, like Explorer, are white.

Thanks for the suggestion.

So in the end what is the difference between upgrade confirming to do not keep anything from the previous system and upgrade then make a reset/refresh via troubleshoot menu?
I suppose the clean upgrade just gives you a clean slate to work from and requires you to reinstall all programs and set all your settings again. It's not a clean install in the sense of nuking the drive via a format. But you will lose all your settings in that process compared to a standard upgrade that attempts to keep as many original settings from the former version of Windows as possible. This sometimes can lead to compatibility issues although modern Windows is vastly better in handling this kind of stuff since 7.

Boss Doggie

Say I build a new machine with another W10 but I bought stuff from Windows store on a different machine, I can still use it in the new machine as long as I use the same account yes?

EDIT: Huh, they never put any Office stuff in the store? Weird, I figured it'd be one of the stuff they'd put in.

This is incorrect. I just needed to find the Windows 10 Pro ISO instead of standard Windows 10 since I'm on Win 8.1 Pro.

Top Bottom