• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

So I see the final build is popping up on websites. Anyone think if I were to upgrade early by doing a format and using my windows 8.1 key it would work?

Nice, TH1 Professional 10240 shows up for me... now lets see if my Network Adapter will stay connected long enough to download it -.-
Last build broke it, so I'm hoping this fixes it

Edit: aaaand, it went out again FFS -.-

I can't wait to update. But I have a problem with my laptop with these previews. The "?" is AltGr + W, but it has since stopped working. I uninstalled the driver previously and it worked for some time, but W10 just updates it automatically and it fucks it up again. :|

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
My Thinkpad's WiFi stops working after waking up from sleep mode. A restart fixes it.
I think it was working fine on 7.

Any ideas?
power setting issue where windows puts the device to sleep but doesn't wake it back up?

Just got on 240.

Vooduu

My computer just updated me to the final build (I was using the preview).

Still showing preview at the bottom for some reason.

Anyways, I do like Windows 10 so far. Only exception is how they're dumbing things down, minor complaint though.

So I see the final build is popping up on websites. Anyone think if I were to upgrade early by doing a format and using my windows 8.1 key it would work?

I tried using my Windows 8 key from my HDD install on my Windows 10 SSD install for shits and giggles. I got an error.

From what I gather I will need to upgrade my Windows 8 install to Windows 10 using the built in upgrade that I have already agreed to. Take the new key, or whatever method they are using for this sort of thing, and apply that to my SSD install. My HDD install will cease to be genuine and my SSD install will be genuine.

I have no idea if this will work.

jstripes

Banned
Most (except for Microsoft) have suggested that this is the RTM build. I'm guessing MS is simply taking a "wait and see" approach before declaring this build RTM.

In the old days they would have had a "Release Candidate" build or two, with a couple of months of padding, but this time around they're exactly two weeks away from launch.

But, this seems to be it. Any major bugs will get patched through Windows Update.

This is the weirdest Windows beta cycle I've ever seen, and I tested XP, Vista, 7 and 8.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
My computer just updated me to the final build (I was using the preview).

Still showing preview at the bottom for some reason.

Anyways, I do like Windows 10 so far. Only exception is how they're dumbing things down, minor complaint though.

then you are likely not on the latest build, the latest build is supposed to remove the preview text from the desktop.

Well so far no noticeable bugs in 240. I did see that the mysterious May firmware had to be re-installed again for my Surface. Looks like 'launch' should be fairly solid.

So is there going to be an OT for Win 10? If so, might I suggest Windows 10 |OT| Seven Eight Nine?

Nice, TH1 Professional 10240 shows up for me... now lets see if my Network Adapter will stay connected long enough to download it -.-
Last build broke it, so I'm hoping this fixes it

Edit: aaaand, it went out again FFS -.-

Welp, I think I'm screwed. Cant get the adapter to stay connected, highest I managed to get was 10%. Unless I can get this via ISO (doubt it since they aleady said no via the blog) I'm gonna have to downgrade then wait until the 29th :/

Sucks because I'm working on upgrading my apps too.

I tried using my Windows 8 key from my HDD install on my Windows 10 SSD install for shits and giggles. I got an error.

From what I gather I will need to upgrade my Windows 8 install to Windows 10 using the built in upgrade that I have already agreed to. Take the new key, or whatever method they are using for this sort of thing, and apply that to my SSD install. My HDD install will cease to be genuine and my SSD install will be genuine.

I have no idea if this will work.

Was hoping to beat the masses lol I got genuine copies of windows 7 and 8 from my school.

Guesong

So I updated to 10240 from 10162.

And now, all sounds comes out of my monitor instead of speakers or headphones, despite the CPU seeing them perfectly. Plugging, unplugging, rebooting...no dice so far. And yes, speakers are the default device.

Any ideas on this one?

EDIT : FIXED! If anybody upgrade and have that problem pops up for no reason, just uninstall and reinstall your audio drivers.

DarkFlow

Banned
Once you opt out is there any option to go back?

Yeah, I just did it and the same button that opts you out, opts you back in.

y8zAi63.png

Vooduu

then you are likely not on the latest build, the latest build is supposed to remove the preview text from the desktop.

I'm on the final build now. I had to do a 2 step upgrade lol.

what do you mean?

Just don't like how some of the menus, settings, and configurations are grouped in or not as easily accessible like Windows 7. I can feel the simplicity coming over since Microsoft is trying to create a unified experience over mobile and desktop.
Very minor like I said though.

So I updated to 10240 from 10162.

And now, all sounds comes out of my monitor instead of speakers or headphones, despite the CPU seeing them perfectly. Plugging, unplugging, rebooting...no dice so far. And yes, speakers are the default device.

Any ideas on this one?

EDIT : FIXED! If anybody upgrade and have that problem pops up for no reason, just uninstall and reinstall your audio drivers.

Be warned everybody there could be driver issues that are easily resolved by simply rebooting (or reinstalling them like our friend above if that doesn't work). A reboot solved my driver issues.

DarkFlow

Banned
I seem to have a rather random problem. My text select pointer icon is HUGE. It's actually bigger than the chrome address box.

Reboot didn't fix it. :/

Edit: Think I found the problem, it's the new Nvidia driver windows downloaded 353.50.

SZips

So here's a question that maybe someone knows the answer to: Will we have the option to selectively "hide" or "ignore" updates offered through Windows Update?

Previous versions obviously presented you with a list of updates and you could hide updates or simply choose not to install some updates at all until you were ready to download them. I have yet to see such an option or feature in Windows 10.

Would have been real damn useful for this whole Nvidia driver update today. Or what if there's another case where a non-driver update breaks something as happened a few months back in Windows 8?

Bonus Question: What the hell does defer upgrades actually do? I've still had updates install without my knowledge even with that setting enabled.

So here's a question that maybe someone knows the answer to: Will we have the option to selectively "hide" or "ignore" updates offered through Windows Update?

Previous versions obviously presented you with a list of updates and you could hide updates or simply choose not to install some updates at all until you were ready to download them. I have yet to see such an option or feature in Windows 10.

Would have been real damn useful for this whole Nvidia driver update today. Or what if there's another case where a non-driver update breaks something as happened a few months back in Windows 8?

Bonus Question: What the hell does defer upgrades actually do? I've still had updates install without my knowledge even with that setting enabled.

The learn more link in the settings app points to this description:

Some Windows 10 editions let you defer upgrades to your PC. When you defer upgrades, new Windows features won’t be downloaded or installed for several months. Deferring upgrades doesn’t affect security updates. Note that deferring upgrades will prevent you from getting the latest Windows features as soon as they’re available.

SZips

The learn more link in the settings app points to this description:

Thanks. Of course the "learn more" link works now. It didn't the last time I checked (which admittedly was prior to today's 10240 build) and took me only to a generic Microsoft page for Windows.

Any ideas about the other, main question above it?

Drifters

Upgraded my work machine to 240, very smooth aside from some odd network file jankiness. My VM on my SP3 makes waiting for the RTM now painful; Tablet mode is godlike on the SP3 now.

Mr_Zombie

W10 is activated as of this build.

Yes, but all previous build version were also marked as activated.

It was stated before that you can either upgrade your genuine version of Windows 7/8.1 to 10 or you stay as an Insider. If you're using Windows 10 as an Insider each build has an expiry date after which it stop being activated - that's to force you to constantly update to newer beta builds. Of course unless Microsoft changed their mind and actually gave Windows Insiders a genuine full version of Windows 10.

DarkFlow

Banned
Yes, but all previous build version were also marked as activated.

It was stated before that you can either upgrade your genuine version of Windows 7/8.1 to 10 or you stay as an Insider. If you're using Windows 10 as an Insider each build has an expiry date after which it stop being activated - that's to force you to constantly update to newer beta builds. Of course unless Microsoft changed their mind and actually gave Windows Insiders a genuine full version of Windows 10.

The last 3 builds I had were not activated.

hadareud

The Translator
It's a shame that Edge doesn't launch with extensions.

Yes, definitely. No Lastpass, no Adblock etc. is a massive minus if you want to use it as your main browser. Hope it extension support is not too far off.

They could at least have built in a way to block ads automatically without extensions and workarounds, like in IE.

Yes, definitely. No Lastpass, no Adblock etc. is a massive minus if you want to use it as your main browser. Hope it extension support is not too far off.

They could at least have built in a way to block ads automatically without extensions and workarounds, like in IE.

They don't want to make (more) enemies with their browser. They backtracked on Do Not Track as well (in IE it was on by default, iirc).

Thanks. Of course the "learn more" link works now. It didn't the last time I checked (which admittedly was prior to today's 10240 build) and took me only to a generic Microsoft page for Windows.

Any ideas about the other, main question above it?
I don't think there's any way to selectively block updates except for the enterprise edition. It seems to me they are relying on the deferring of updates to avoid issues (assuming they will be taking out and corrected it it occurs)

The Cowboy

Anyone else having issues with the Groove Music app?, yesterday it was just fine and playing all my albums without issue - today however every single thing reports a "This item is in a format we don't support" error.

I can't seem to figure out a way to fix it.

HP Stream 7 on 10240 now and there's still a little UI quirk which has been bugging me in the preview builds. In tablet mode, when I go back to the start menu there is a 1-2px gap between the top of the taskbar and the start menu. I means I can see the a line of colour of whatever the last open app was despite the start screen background being my wallpaper.

A minor gripe, but I dislike that pressing and holding an item in the app list doesn't throw up the options (pin etc) after a few seconds. It shows the menu on release. Would prefer it the other way so you aren't holding it expecting something to happen.

Bullza2o

I have a bootcamp windows 7 using a key from an upgrade disc i bought when win7 came out. Is it too late to upgrade to windows 10 preview 10240? I am an insider and could have installed the preview earlier, but since the RTM is out I'd like to check in early.

xenist

10240 feels much improved to 10130 which was my previous build. Edge especially was a laggy POS before but now it's pretty great. Once extensions launch I will have no qualms about it being on par with Chrome and FF. No taskbar problems so far either. The alternate windows theory still stands.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
i downloaded 10240 yesterday and so far it is the worst build I have had from the start of the testing. Edge crashes, haven't been able to load it once yet. Windows Store won't load. Xbox app won't connect. I try to add my microsoft account back into it because it for some reason lost it. I go to settings - accounts and click add a microsoft account and nothing happens.

Top Bottom