• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

BIGWORM

Installed 10240 over 10162. Had a small sound hiccup which had me reinstall which was aforementioned in this thread the past couple pages, and now I have no problems with sound. After being stuck at 10074 because of 10130 and it's sound bug, I'm happy to say it looks like it's fixed. Now just gotta wait for Creative to come out with their Win10 drivers.

Lynn616

Anyone else having issues with the Groove Music app?, yesterday it was just fine and playing all my albums without issue - today however every single thing reports a "This item is in a format we don't support" error.

I can't seem to figure out a way to fix it.

No problems playing my music.

It cant be the final version because it just looks like a local music player. Nothing shows up to give you an option to subscribe to the streaming service. It is hidden in settings and when I try to sub it does nothing.

Spotify and Apple Music don't have anything to worry about from this thing.

Spasm

i downloaded 10240 yesterday and so far it is the worst build I have had from the start of the testing. Edge crashes, haven't been able to load it once yet. Windows Store won't load. Xbox app won't connect. I try to add my microsoft account back into it because it for some reason lost it. I go to settings - accounts and click add a microsoft account and nothing happens.

Do you use any other sign-in methods (picture password)? If so, try a regular PW sign-in. Also, I was having similar problems with the store in an earlier build. Searched around, and read that logging in with a different Live ID fixes it for all users. Borrowed my wife's login, and sure enough...

SZips

I've had this really annoying issue now in both 10162 and still in 10240 where sometimes searching from the Start menu just refuses to work. Can happen right after a reboot, right after cold booting, or just randomly during a session.

I hit Start and begin to type and this is all I'll see:
https://i.imgur.com/86h9Wd0.png

I have to go into Task Manager and kill off Cortana (sometimes more than once) in order to get it working again.

DarkFlow

Banned
Is that from the Star Wars trailer? If so give me that background please.

I would, but I can't. I no longer have the file and it's just been synced to my account ever since lol. I did get it out of the star wars trailer thread if that helps at all.

The Cowboy

I've had this really annoying issue now in both 10162 and still in 10240 where sometimes searching from the Start menu just refuses to work. Can happen right after a reboot, right after cold booting, or just randomly during a session.

I hit Start and begin to type and this is all I'll see:
https://i.imgur.com/86h9Wd0.png

I have to go into Task Manager and kill off Cortana (sometimes more than once) in order to get it working again.
I get a similar issue and like you, it happens to me at totally random times - it just seems search/cortana stops working for no reason at all.

Its quite annoying.

crunozaurus

Neo Member
GOD urge to update is overwhelming

- Can I make a fresh install of W10 10240 now? I've read somewhere that it's blocked now till 29.07
- Can I upgrade it to a full version afterwards using a MSDNA key? (can I use the w7/w8/w8.1 key for that?)

SZips

I get a similar issue and like you, it happens to me at totally random times - it just seems search/cortana stops working for no reason at all.

Its quite annoying.

Someone else on Reddit has/had the same issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3dib8k/10240_search_not_working/ct5kb3t?context=3

They said that they seem to have fixed it by making a new profile. I'm waiting to see if they post again that the issue never came back for them. If so, I might have to try that out but it might be a last resort since I don't really relish the idea of getting everything set up like I like it again.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

SZips

They really need to improve the store and the apps they're featuring before the 29th :/

To be fair here, the Store in 10 looks a ton better than the store ever did in 8.x. Not much to be done about the apps being offered unless they decide to pull an Apple and thoroughly comb through new app submissions prior to being made public.

Jzero

Arg, that damn broken Nvidia update keeps installing itself every single day. I hope the defer updates button fixes this.

clav

Anyone know about the disclaimer regarding WIMBOOT (i.e. 16/32GB tablets/laptops running Windows 8.1) and Windows 10?

You can't upgrade to Windows 10.

clav

You can't or you shouldn't? Cause I'm running it right now on a 32gb tablet.

Did you do a clean install or upgrade?

You can't for upgrades supposedly due to the nature of Windows 8.1's WIMBOOT as it will error with a message stating the OS is compressed.

Guri

I wasn't sure and some people weren't either, so, to be clear:

The transfer rights are just the same on Windows 10 as was on Windows 7 and 8.1. So if your PC is running a retail version of Windows 10, you can still transfer your Windows 10 operating system to another PC provided Windows 10 has been uninstalled on your other PC. Of course, if you're running an OEM version of Windows 10, then it's locked on that device.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/here-are-straightforward-license-terms-eula-windows-10

epmode

I don't know if this is a Windows 10 thing but I brought my system out of sleep a few minutes ago and my computer was acting like it wasn't even connected to my router (ethernet). Refreshing the IP address was returning an autoconfiguration address (169.254.x.x). Other devices connected to the same router worked fine.

Everything was OK after I rebooted the system but that was literally the first time I've seen that happen on this computer.

Interesting. I really expected them to restrict my retail license. I'm glad I won't have to buy Windows again when I build a new system.

How do I even do that? lol

Go to the little search box thing next to the Start button and type "cleanmgr" without quotes. You can use that tool to clean up a bunch of stuff.

Alternatively, hold the Windows key down on your keyboard and press R. Type "cleanmgr" into the box without quotes.

SZips

I hope this holds up. I was planning on doing a near complete upgrade of my desktop in about a year and really didn't want to tack on the added cost of an OS I'm already using on top of it.

Though I must say I never really got how you "uninstalled" an OS short of just reformatting. I'm guessing it's just an honor system type of deal where you'll have to call them to activate and go "no, this key is not being used on any other PC."

neoanarch

Did you do a clean install or upgrade?

You can't for upgrades supposedly due to the nature of Windows 8.1's WIMBOOT as it will error with a message stating the OS is compressed.
Upgrade. I've been upgrading for a few builds now without much issue once you clear enough drive space.

clav

Upgrade. I've been upgrading for a few builds now without much issue once you clear enough drive space.
I did some reading tonight, and yeah you're right. It was allowed on 10074 with the requirement of 10 GB of space available

Running cleanmgr may turn on compression for the OS drive.

Hm.

neoanarch

I did some reading tonight, and yeah you're right. It was allowed on 10074 with the requirement of 10 GB of space available

Running cleanmgr may turn on compression for the OS drive.

Hm.
I think I only needed 5gb of space for 10240. So I'm not sure what the exact requirements are.

Candy Crush was just updated as a Universal app in the store. If anyone is interested in that kind of thing.

I just woke up to what I assume is the release build of Windows 10. I don't see any build numbers or anything. It also says my computer is activated even though I never bought any of the other operating systems; however, I was beta testing Windows 10 for like nine months. Sweet.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
So I was going to install Windows 10 this weekend and I just logged into the Insider site and can't find any ISOs. Did they pull them for some reason? Am I stuck until they release the final version?

I just woke up to what I assume is the release build of Windows 10. I don't see any build numbers or anything. It also says my computer is activated even though I never bought any of the other operating systems; however, I was beta testing Windows 10 for like nine months. Sweet.

You get to keep Windows 10 even if you haven't bought any of the previous versions as long as you stay in the Insider's Program and you will be periodically prompted to download new builds of the OS that you must install before your current build expires.

Lulu23

So I'm running Windows 8.1 right now and I have the little notification in the task bar. It says that I made my reservation, I didn't get an email though.

I heard that not everyone will actually get it July 29th, is that right? If so, is there a way to ensure I'll be abled to upgrade on release (without downloading the preview now)?

clav

I think I only needed 5gb of space for 10240. So I'm not sure what the exact requirements are.

Interesting. Wonder what the upgrade path will be for those with 16 GB of space.

I think users with devices <= 32 GB of total storage space would benefit from a full blown clean install after upgrade.

Seems like WIMBOOT's 8.1 model will work better with the standard installation of Windows 10 since NTFS compression gives similar benefits minus the complex nature of making a read-only Windows installation that's placed at the end of the partition.

Go to the little search box thing next to the Start button and type "cleanmgr" without quotes. You can use that tool to clean up a bunch of stuff.

Alternatively, hold the Windows key down on your keyboard and press R. Type "cleanmgr" into the box without quotes.

Thank you for your help! But I found out that it was actually just struggling to uninstall and then reinstall the Synaptics Pointing Device driver -_-

Now it's all good again.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Do you use any other sign-in methods (picture password)? If so, try a regular PW sign-in. Also, I was having similar problems with the store in an earlier build. Searched around, and read that logging in with a different Live ID fixes it for all users. Borrowed my wife's login, and sure enough...

PC is on a domain and the GP seems be causing the problem. If I remove it from the domain it works fine. It is weird thought because i didn't have this problem on previous builds.

Knight77

So...is there a way to solve the "blurry text" problem? In Windows 8.1 you could avoid to select "disable display scaling on high dpi" with every program choosing "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays" and signing out then back in.... but that option is no more available in W10 (at least the last version). Now I have 100% scaling but the text is too small... if I rise it to 125% it gets blurry in many Apps and windows sections.

Any help? :-(

epmode

So...is there a way to solve the "blurry text" problem? In Windows 8.1 you could avoid to select "disable display scaling on high dpi" with every program choosing "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays" and signing out then back in.... but that option is no more available in W10 (at least the last version). Now I have 100% scaling but the text is too small... if I rise it to 125% it gets blurry in many Apps and windows sections.

Any help? :-(

Isn't that just a side effect of scaling a lower resolution image to a higher resolution screen? This happens in games when you run lower than native resolution.

Giolon

Wow, my Windows 10 installation (build 10240) on my laptop just crashed and burned.

It was totally fine last night when I shut down. Turned it on this afternoon, and somehow I lost all permissions to my user folders which caused windows explorer to start freaking out. It just started crashing repeatedly. I managed to get permissions back and it was fine for the moment - restarted, lost all permissions again.

Gave them all back to myself. Now, Windows Store won't install anything,
Start menu won't open, Cortana is gone.

It's not the hugest deal b/c I can restore to my backup, but damn. We're less than 2 weeks out from launch and this happened. Not a good sign.

clav

Wow, my Windows 10 installation (build 10240) on my laptop just crashed and burned.

It was totally fine last night when I shut down. Turned it on this afternoon, and somehow I lost all permissions to my user folders which caused windows explorer to start freaking out. It just started crashing repeatedly. I managed to get permissions back and it was fine for the moment - restarted, lost all permissions again.

Gave them all back to myself. Now, Windows Store won't install anything,
Start menu won't open, Cortana is gone.

It's not the hugest deal b/c I can restore to my backup, but damn. We're less than 2 weeks out from launch and this happened. Not a good sign.
Probably the usual appxbundlemanifest.xml and appxmanifest.xml files broke themselves. Something in the appcache is causing this bug.

Happened to me a few builds ago.

You can open up PowerShell as admin and run the following commands. If you have trouble opening up powershell since the start menu won't work, open up task manager using Ctrl Shift Esc or Ctrl Alt Delete. Select New Task from the task manager or use the keyboard shortcut Alt F N. Type PowerShell and check the box for admin privileges. Unless you turned off UAC prior or have it pinned, there is no other way to grant yourself admin access for powershell.

I forgot what I used, so this is what turned up on search. I had to type commands in as copy and paste weren't working either.

Command input is not case sensitive.

Code:
Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperience* -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + &#8220;\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml&#8221;)}

Code:
Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Reboot afterwards.

Top Bottom