• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Woffls

Sweet. Sure I checked there, but must have missed it. I'll change it back when continuum turns up.

So can I use Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool to make a USB installer like before for this?
I used the Windows 7 USB Tool to do a clean install on a different system, so it looks like it works exactly the same way as Windows 8 did in that regard.

SegaShack

Took me like 2 hours to finish upgrading to 10, but man was it worth it. Start menu is glorious, I took off all the pins and now it is sleek as fuck.

You don't need to use an MS account either. When it is setting up and asks to sign in click "Create an Account", then on the next screen at the bottom click "Use an existing account", it will just skip straight to the OS, no account needed.

DarkFlow

Banned
Took me like 2 hours to finish upgrading to 10, but man was it worth it. Start menu is glorious, I took off all the pins and now it is sleek as fuck.

You don't need to use an MS account either. When it is setting up and asks to sign in click "Create an Account", then on the next screen at the bottom click "Use an existing account", it will just skip straight to the OS, no account needed.

I like having my account in it. Makes it easy when I do a re install or move computers, everything comes with me.

Jzero

Man this has been installing on my laptop for hours now

Something is wrong with your computer brotha. It should take about 20 minutes max.

No, it could easily take hours especially if you're on a traditional rotational hard disk. It'll also take longer depending on how much you have installed.

On a fast SSD without much it still might take as long as an hour right now.

Damn, props to Samsung for making awesome SSDs then because mine was fast.

dLMN8R

Something is wrong with your computer brotha. It should take about 20 minutes max.

No, it could easily take hours especially if you're on a traditional rotational hard disk. It'll also take longer depending on how much you have installed.

I installed it on a 210GB partition of my 2TB drive (7200rpm Toshiba) that's nearly full and it took me about 35-40min.

Mr_Zombie

Ok, I have a problem with Win10 installation. I downloaded the ISO (the SHA-1 hash is OK), copied it to USB using Windows USB DVD Download Tool and tried to install the OS. However, every time the install fails at the second step (after copying files to HDD - I think it's preparing for installation); sometimes it's at 25%, sometimes at 8% and a lot of times at 0%. After a while a message appears:
"Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x8007045D."

This is the content of setuperr.log file:

2014-10-01 22:48:51, Error [0x0600af] IBS ApplyWIMCallback: Error applying D:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\sti.inf_amd64_88dc010834d744e1. GLE [1117][gle=0x0000045d]
2014-10-01 22:59:59, Error [0x0606cc] IBS WIMApplyImage failed; hr = 0x8007045D[gle=0x0000045d]
2014-10-01 22:59:59, Error [0x0600a1] IBS DeployImage:Image application failed; hr = 0x8007045D[gle=0x00000057]
2014-10-01 22:59:59, Error [0x060082] IBS Callback_ImageTransfer:Failed to lay down the OS image; hr = 0x8007045d[gle=0x00000057]

I've checked USB sticks (two of them) and they seem to be OK. I've also formatted and checked the partition I'm installing the system on and it's good too. So I have no idea what's going on. Can anyone help? :/

Mohasus

Created a UEFI boot drive using Rufus. Everything working fine so far (dual boot with 8.1).

Downloading gpu drivers now.

edit: Music app is actually good to use now.

Riptwo

I'm really interested to see impressions of this running on the SP3. I love the SP3 hardware, but so much about Win 8 feels clunky in both tablet and laptop modes. I just want the software to catch up to the hardware!

linkboy

So should I download windows 10 preview on my main desktop?

Wanna try it.

I was just going to install it on my laptop outright, but then I remembered I had some unallocated space from when I wiped my Linux partition.

I think I'm just going to dual boot 8.1 and 10.

The Cowboy

How do I get my full-screen start menu back? :(

Presumably the new start menu will just expand to fill almost the whole screen if you have enough tiles there? I'm going to download a bunch of free apps and see what happens. All that's important is that they stay in the same place and I know where to click without having to look if I want to load Excel or whatever.

I'm running it on my laptop for a few days to see what happens. If it goes well, I'll main it on my PC as well. I did this with Win 7 and 8 on the earliest versions I could, and everything was fine.

Did that help? :p
As stated already, there is options in the taskbar and start menu properties to make it revert back to the start screen, however its basically broken right now - all apps for me go strait to the desktop version (even if you've selected for them not to), the charms bar doesn't work at all even if you've selected to turn it on etc.

Right now the preview is only worth using if your happy with sticking with desktop mode and start menu, i went strait to the start screen mode (i really like SS mode) and well, its just to much hassle in the preview to deal with.
-
You never really realise how much you like a feature until its broken/not upfated yet - snapping, it doesn't revent back to the original size when you drag it back to normal, its such a simple thing BUT man is it annoying to have to resize everything back to there orignal size after snapping them.

Jzero

Restarting fixed it.

Them edges are so sexy and white title bar text is finally back.

ivXJjhGtvQkNZ.PNG

DarkFlow

Banned
Had reformat my HDD because of some hackintosh stuff I was doing earlier. Kept saying I couldn't install on a partition because of some GPT nonsense. Oh well, that's why I made a Windows 8 USB also before I started this.

This is terrible news. Microsoft alternates between good and bad versions of Windows (XP good, Vista bad, 7 good, 8 bad). Now they're skipping what was going to be the good Windows, and going straight to the next bad one!

Lynn616

So uh... if I mount the iso, can I install it in a new partition? It seems to upgrade my installation without giving any options other than what to keep.

Or how should I copy it to a flash drive? Rufus? W7 USB tool?

I was going to use isotousb. Should I use one of those instead?

tjohn86

Had reformat my HDD because of some hackintosh stuff I was doing earlier. Kept saying I couldn't install on a partition because of some GPT nonsense. Oh well, that's why I made a Windows 8 USB also before I started this.

In the future you can just use parted to change the partition table to msdos.

smurfx

get some go again
do i need a previous version of windows to install win 10? can i create new partition and install it there?

Jzero

Is a black screen with a build number in the corner normal?

Build number yes, black screen not sure.

Alright found my first bug. My Spotify Albums are failing to load but all you need to do to fix it is to start it as an administrator and problem solved.

Is the preview broken/incompatible in any notable ways? I know it's feature-incomplete, but I'd consider running it on my desktop instead of my current W7 install if I can install it without most of my stuff breaking.

Will probably put it onto my laptop to check it out, regardless.

Installed on my SP3. Everything is smooth but there's some weird things happening. For instance I can't bring the search charm bar, not by using the win+S neither the search button on my cover. But if I swipe from the right it's there and working.

Them edges are so sexy and white title bar text is finally back.

ivXJjhGtvQkNZ.PNG

I think those are just for metro apps at the moment though :(

Edit: Yeah, just tried and only metro apps switches the title bar font color when you chose a dark theme.

Jzero

For instance I can't bring the search charm bar, not by using the win+S neither the search button on my cover. But if I swipe from the right it's there and working.

Is the preview broken/incompatible in any notable ways? I know it's feature-incomplete, but I'd consider running it on my desktop instead of my current W7 install if I can install it without most of my stuff breaking.

Will probably put it onto my laptop to check it out, regardless.

Touch devices are having issues but PC's work amazingly well.

Top Bottom