• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Just down done installing it on my SP2, haven't messed around with much but using Xbox Music on the desktop like any other program
so_good.gif

Edit: And literally as I hit post the app crashes and now won't stay open, lol.

Kssio_Aug

Ok, so free upgrade via patch from Win 8 is out of the question now?
If yes, then i'm moving my CPU, mobo + ram upgrade to win 10 release date.

Why would it be out of question?
I believe we will be getting it for free (at least who bought W8 separatedly).

jelly

Is it just me or does Apple with less people on OSX do a lot more with each release than Microsoft with Windows?

Expected a bit more with Windows 10. Going to try it out anyways.

An early preview, there will be much more to come.

Nah, they just don't go willy waving like 200 new changes! Windows XP to Windows 8 has seen major improvements, maybe not entirely obvious sometimes but they haven't been sitting on their hands.

If anyone wants to give it a go, seen this link posted.

http://betanews.com/2013/06/27/install-windows-8-1-preview-on-oracle-virtualbox/

Guri

The system requirements are exactly the same of Windows 8, for those wondering. EVery device/PC able to run W8 can run W10.

Is it just me or does Apple with less people on OSX do a lot more with each release than Microsoft with Windows?

Expected a bit more with Windows 10. Going to try it out anyways.

They have alot to show still as others have said. I'd also say that OSX should be doing less per release, its becoming a bit bloated in my experience.

jstripes

Banned
Ok, got it to work in Parallels.

When it asks you which version of Windows you're trying to install, choose "More Windows", and then "Other Windows."

Just down done installing it on my SP2, haven't messed around with much but using Xbox Music on the desktop like any other program
so_good.gif

Edit: And literally as I hit post the app crashes and now won't stay open, lol.

yeah, it's a little crash-happy. I imagine it will get a lot smoother as time goes on. I don't think the Xbox Music team is updating the app currently to take into account W10. It'll only get better in the coming months.

Still, it's now an awesome app for me now. Before it was serviceable at work, now it's awesome....I've got my cloud collection and all that with no work machine dirtying (spotify/itunes etc).

LilJoka

Install Windows 8 VMWare Tools and Windows 10 runs fine. Little laggy in terms of mouse without it. Im on a 3960X 4.8Ghz 16GB Ram 2133Mhz. 6Gb for VM and 12 threads.

Ive managed to Pin a Shortcut to the Live Tiles part in the Start Menu for my User Folder, and i cant remove it!!! LOL

Kssio_Aug

Im at work right now, but if I use the preview on top of my W8, can I upgrade to the full version later without coming back to W8 again?

Also, is it true or not that W8 users can upgrade to W10 for free?

jstripes

Banned
Im at work right now, but if I use the preview on top of my W8, can I upgrade to the full version later without coming back to W8 again?

We won't hear anything about pricing until next year.

Yeah, Windows will usually let you do upgrades all the way until RTM. With the way they seem to be handling updates in W10, I would have even more confidence in that ability.

However, I'm not sure if there's any official guarantee? Typically, I do upgrades throughout pre-release cycle. When RTM arrives, I'll do a clean install because I like to start fresh. Considering that this may be the last "big" release of Windows according to rumors, then I would highly recommend everyone get a fresh start. Maybe I'm a mutant, but I have almost everything backed up onto OneDrive (I have more storage space in OneDrive than I do my own PC o_o) so doing a clean install is super duper easy to me.

Nobody knows about pricing or SKU's yet. That won't be announced until much closer to release (middle of next year).

Man this is so much better, feel like putting this on my main machine now!

That's what I'm doing when I get home!

However, just keep in mind that there is a non-zero chance that something can go terribly wrong, things will crash, bugs will be had, etc. If you have a low tolerance for things like that, then I would keep it on a secondary PC/VM until it's further along.

Kssio_Aug

We won't hear anything about pricing until next year.

Yeah, Windows will usually let you do upgrades all the way until RTM.

Nobody knows about pricing or SKU's yet. That won't be announced until much closer to release (middle of next year).

Ok! Thanks! :)
Now a super noob question! But I have the W8 key that I bought on release. The thing is, how is this key signed to my machine? If I unninstall it will I be able to install again later? Or maybe, if I unninstall it, will I be able to use this W8 key in another machine?

Ok! Thanks! :)
Now a super noob question! But I have the W8 key that I bought on release. The thing is, how is this key signed to my machine? If I unninstall it will I be able to install again later? Or maybe, if I unninstall it, will I be able to use this W8 key in another machine?

Yes to both as far as I know. If you run into an activation issue, it will give you a phone number to call and it's really quick and I've never had trouble with it. Honestly not sure what the official policy is in terms of re-using keys and what not, but as I've said, I've never really run into any issues and I've always had them be able to be activated.

Just make sure that before you nuke your install that you have the key saved somewhere. If you don't have a copy of it already, there are programs that can get the windows key off your PC if you look online.

LilJoka

That's what I'm doing when I get home!

However, just keep in mind that there is a non-zero chance that something can go terribly wrong, things will crash, bugs will be had, etc. If you have a low tolerance for things like that, then I would keep it on a secondary PC/VM until it's further along.

We are techies, we have time for running this ISO, we have time for dealing with its shortcomings for a short while.

What still bugs me is that the OS relies on a lot of guess work in terms of the UI. For example recent folder, recently accessed folders in the "My PC" and "Home", the whole Explorer is a mess with duplicated entries for so many of the folders. Its like having your Cutlery in multiple cupboards in the kitchen. 2 solutions for achieving the same thing, no point.

We are techies, we have time for running this ISO, we have time for dealing with its shortcomings for a short while.

What still bugs me is that the OS relies on a lot of guess work in terms of the UI. For example recent folder, recently accessed folders in the "My PC" and "Home", the whole Explorer is a mess with duplicated entries for so many of the folders. Its like having your Cutlery in multiple cupboards in the kitchen. 2 solutions for achieving the same thing, no point.

This is great feedback to send to MS! Be sure to use the feedback app, assuming it's available right now (sorry, at work and don't have the preview installed myself to check).

Tiles on the start menu seem cool. Why only medium for Steam? I need a large steam tile!

Valve would have to opt-in to that. Win32 apps by default only get small/medium. I really hope Valve does that too. Having a Steam live tile which shows me the latest daily deals, new releases, etc would be awesome. There's actually a really great Win8 app, the name of which totally escapes me, but it allows you to pin your Steam games, with high-res boxart, onto the start screen (now menu!). Whenever one of your friends is playing any of the games you have pinned, it flips over to show you who's playing. I thought it was really neat to be honest, but it would be great if Valve had official support for that, instead of having to use a third-party app.

LilJoka

Last thing that is still disjointed in Windows 8/10, Tiles and Icons, having a Tile looking pretty neat next to a normal Icon (Tiled mode in Start Menu) just looks unfinished.

Kssio_Aug

Yes to both as far as I know. If you run into an activation issue, it will give you a phone number to call and it's really quick and I've never had trouble with it. Honestly not sure what the official policy is in terms of re-using keys and what not, but as I've said, I've never really run into any issues and I've always had them be able to be activated.

Just make sure that before you nuke your install that you have the key saved somewhere. If you don't have a copy of it already, there are programs that can get the windows key off your PC if you look online.

Thanks again! I assume that there is no problem if I bought my key digitally, right? (It is legit)

zou

fails to install on the surface 3. goes through the whole install including reboot and set up, then after logging in I get a message saying install failed and it's been rolled back :/

This may be a bit of a dumb question but I have my OS on an SSD and then everything else (music, games, videos, etc.) all on a separate large HDD. If i install 10 onto the SSD will all the things on the HDD transition over to Windows 10, or will I need to re-install all my games and the like?

dLMN8R

This may be a bit of a dumb question but I have my OS on an SSD and then everything else (music, games, videos, etc.) all on a separate large HDD. If i install 10 onto the SSD will all the things on the HDD transition over to Windows 10, or will I need to re-install all my games and the like?

When you do a full upgrade, you cannot install it to a different location. If you want to install to a new location, you need to do a clean install.

When you do a full upgrade, you cannot install it to a different location. If you want to install to a new location, you need to do a clean install.

I'm not installing to a separate location, it's still going on the SSD. I'm just wondering if the stuff on my other harddrive will also need to go. Can I unhook the HDD with all my games and music and the like and then hook it back up after installing the new OS and have Steam recognize them, for example?

dLMN8R

I'm not installing to a separate location, it's still going on the SSD. I'm just wondering if the stuff on my other harddrive will also need to go. Can I unhook the HDD with all my games and music and the like and then hook it back up after installing the new OS and have Steam recognize them, for example?

Ah sorry, I misread your post :)

When you upgrade, everything should just continue to work as if nothing changed. All your programs, files, etc. will be seen in the same way as they are right now.

(If they're not, that's a bug, not intentional)

Ah sorry, I misread your post :)

When you upgrade, everything should just continue to work as if nothing changed. All your programs, files, etc. will be seen in the same way as they are right now.

(If they're not, that's a bug, not intentional)

Cool, thanks! It's not a big hassle if things go wrong. Anything important is backed up on Google Drive. Downloading now!

Kssio_Aug

I remember I bought my Win8 key very cheap (like 30 dollars) at Microsoft web page when it released. Hope that they offer Win10 cheaper for new users again!

For those with recover partitions the page say installing Win10 will get rid of that. Is there a known way to bring it back, assuming I back it up properly before installing W10?

maeh2k

dLMN8R, lastflowers, it's time you guys add the Colemak keyboard layout as a first-class citizen! :)
OS X and Linux both have it.

Windows isn't great at handling additional keyboard layouts. At the login screen Windows just won't remember that I'm using Colemak. I always have to switch layouts when I boot my machine.

Refyref

The Technical Preview lets me select which partition I install it to, right? It doesn't just hog the whole HDD, I hope.

Kyuur

Got the TP installed on my old dying laptop. So far it feels quicker than W8 did. Pretty much the perfect blend of 8 and 7 for me. Should have called it 7.5

Woffls

Installed on my laptop, not played around with it yet, but I like the more obvious shadow behind the active window. The border is significantly thinner as well, which is great because the Win 8 window borders are like 10px or something stupid.

Ooh, just noticed that Win+dpad snaps relative to other windows as well as the screen itself.

[edit] version.StartsWith would be pretty funny. Could have just changed all the code references to Windows Nine and marketed it as Windows 9, but whatever.

Top Bottom