• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

zou

any word on whether MS will ever give us the option of non-blurry fonts (aka ditching gray scale antialiasing)?

delirium

Has this been posted yet?

By4GyZdCUAAWuL3.png:large

https://twitter.com/mikko/status/517358472715710465/photo/1

https://searchcode.com/?q=if(version,startswith("windows+9")

Actually a legit problem.

Pakkidis

My apologies if this has been asked, has this been legitimately confirmed to be free for win 8.1 users or was that just a rumor?

DarkFlow

Banned
My apologies if this has been asked, has this been legitimately confirmed to be free for win 8.1 users or was that just a rumor?

No one knows, they didn't say one way or the other. It's not coming out for another year, so it's going to be awhile before you know.

Zeknurn

I don't like that they have removed the start tip and power user menu in the bottom left corner when you have your task bar vertically.

Search seems to be worse now :/

Loved when you could search inside apps on W8, and then on 8.1 they had that search app that tried to aggregate info from everywhere (though to be fair, it ended up a bit useless because 3rd party apps never seem to bothered with it)...

But now it just takes you to a bing page, and it's showing terrible results for files on my Pc/Onedrive :(

Mohasus

Do I need to do anything else other than delete the partition and the entry in the bootloader if I don't want to test it anymore?

smurfx

get some go again
No one knows, they didn't say one way or the other. It's not coming out for another year, so it's going to be awhile before you know.
wondering if i should upgrade to 8 first and then get beta 10 just in case it is free for 8 users. would suck if i find out its not free for win 7 users.

DarkFlow

Banned
wondering if i should upgrade to 8 first and then get beta 10 just in case it is free for 8 users. would suck if i find out its not free for win 7 users.

I wouldn't expect it to be free for 7 users, but I would just wait till they say one way or the other. You'll have plenty of time to get 8 or whatever then.

smurfx

get some go again
I wouldn't expect it to be free for 7 users, but I would just wait till they say one way or the other. You'll have plenty of time to get 8 or whatever then.
i want to get in early with 10 though. i don't want to be left behind again.

smurfx

get some go again
think i'm going to upgrade to 8 first and then try win 10 and hopefully the upgrade is free in the future. if its not then hopefully its cheap like my 15 dollar win 8 upgrade key.

M3d10n

Damn lazy Java developers. OpenJDK is choke full of those checks. I assume many programs made in languages/runtimes other than C/C++/C# perform such checks, since they use cross-platform means of reading the OS version (which usually returns a string with the full OS name).

I guess that makes sense, but how many people are gonna be using programs compatible with Windows 95/98/ME on Windows 10?

It's the other way around: some programs are performing that check so they will refuse to run on Windows 95/98/ME.

Sure, its a lot more compact and neater but I still those tiles are redundant. If i wanted mail I would just open outlook. If I wanted to know the weather I would find out. there's no need for all those tiles IMO

That's...kind of the point of the tile. It tells you without requiring you to go into an app. You are literally "finding out" by looking.

Same for email. Mail tile lets you know if there is any new mail and provides a preview.

Not sure I like the new touch keyboard. It gives many many suggestions, which is nice, but at the expense of the space bar height, which I find a bit more likely to misstouch now... But I guess it's a matter of adapting.

Elija2

It's the other way around: some programs are performing that check so they will refuse to run on Windows 95/98/ME.

Oh, so it's actually newer programs that are using this code? Must have been before Windows 7 was announced or they would have seen it coming.

If I download the iso can I install it on an extra hard drive and then boot from there afterwards or do I have to go the usb/disc route and install that way?

TTOOLL

Will this version be updated untill next year or we'll need to download new isos and perform a clean install?

DarkFlow

Banned
How is it harder?

It's not right there like when I open the start screen, I have to go looking around for it. Also it doesn't even add stuff to the menu, So i have use search anyway to find stuff I just installed. The start screen doesn't add stuff auto either, but at least there's a button that shows everything I've installed.

Ty4on

I guess that makes sense, but how many people are gonna be using programs compatible with Windows 95/98/ME on Windows 10?
Quite a lot?

There are many old programs that are great at whatever they are doing. For me it'd be a lot of old games.

Top Bottom