• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Seems XB1 UI will change again?
M3T2P9S.jpg

The green is going bye-bye I guess.

orava

VRG_1080.0.jpg

I want to throw up...That is A HUGE BAR!
I don't understand why MS can't understand people like folders on top of folders for organization.

Nobody wants to dig through hundreds of hard to use tiny menus. The organization in the tile screen is much better if you want to find something quickly.

Could somebody explain to me why people have such an attachment to the Start menu? What does it do that the Start screen doesn't do better?

But it really isn't complicated at all. Once you clear out all the stuff you don't use, it just becomes a nice, clean screen with quick access to all the programs you use, and it's only one key or click away.

I feel like people who complain about the Start screen have never actually used it.

Its not completely jarring like the start screen.

Chris1

Windows 10? I.. What?

I don't even..... Seriously? What's the point in skipping 9?

Xbox 360, Xbox One, Cutting straight to W10, Zune, Vista... I swear MS can't pick a good name for their projects no matter what

Not sure if I like the start bar on windows 10.. Keep it simple MS, that thing is huge and the extra shit is just unnecessary

Arsenic13

After spending time with 8 on my desktop, I'm fine with it. Their initial introduction was messy, with an OS that caters to both tablet and desktop experiences being confusing because of their Surface Pro and RTs SKUs and the overt emphasis on touch screen control on desktops.

8.1 fixed a lot of the issues and the Surface 2 -3 are amazing, and convey the tablet-laptop message perfectly. If I could afford one, I'd replace my laptop instantly as I don't see the need for just a tablet.

W8 tried to force a vision on consumers way too harshly, and they've eased back. 10 looks like a good compromise and I hope it's good.

fedexpeon

Banned
Could somebody explain to me why people have such an attachment to the Start menu? What does it do that the Start screen doesn't do better?

But it really isn't complicated at all. Once you clear out all the stuff you don't use, it just becomes a nice, clean screen with quick access to all the programs you use, and it's only one key or click away.

I feel like people who complain about the Start screen have never actually used it.

Folders!
Folders!
Folders!
No seriously, I work as a consultant with 20 tabs, docs, files, pdf, all open at once.
I need to alt+tab and go to the correct folder because everything is confidential.
And of course, all those files, drafts, and folders will be on the desktop.

Nobody wants to dig through hundreds of hard to use tiny menus. The organization in the tile screen is much better if you want to find something quickly.

Nope, I use the search bar+open file location...So more folders=easier organization.

jblank83

It's more readable, more usable, and faster. The only thing it lacks are huge blocks of wasted space and huge pictures.

I've used the Start screen.

orava

It's more readable, more usable, and faster. The only thing it lacks are huge blocks of wasted space and huge pictures.

These are the things why the start screen is better than the old menu imo. It's also much more customizable.

Folders!
Folders!
Folders!
No seriously, I work as a consultant with 20 tabs, docs, files, pdf, all open at once.
I need to alt+tab and go to the correct folder because everything is confidential.
And of course, all those files, drafts, and folders will be on the desktop.

Nope, I use the search bar+open file location...

But... they didn't take away folders. You still have Windows Explorer. You can still have 20 tabs, docs, files, and pdfs open at once. What does the Start screen have to do with this?

How is it any of these things?

Here's my Start screen:

How is this unreadable, unusable, or slow? It's basically like having a second desktop that you can access without having to minimize everything.

Previews opening tomorrow. They are looking for power users whom want to provide feedback as they iterate similar to XO. You also must fit the following description:

VRG_1112.jpg

Top Bottom