• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft cooking 360 figures? *Rumors*

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
arne said:
Do you guys do math?

For wii to catch x360, given a 3m gap, the wii needs to outsell the x360 by nearly 400k EVERY MONTH until end of December, worldwide. That's to draw equal.

Now, that is absolutely do-able. To do so the Wii has to cover 200k in Japan, 100k in US and 100k in Europe every MONTH WITHOUT MISSING A BEAT.

This also assumes -- no system sellers, no price drops, and no large discrepancy between the differences in # of consoles sold over the holidays.
Sorry arne but 200k monthly is way too low for the Wii in Japan, even in the quiet months. As I said the Wii will sell another +2m more than 360 in Japan alone.
Also we have 9 months till the end of the year (including April) so the Wii has to outsell 360 by 110k monthly worldwide excluding Japan to gain leadership and IMO this is extremely likely.

westical

Banned
Joe211 said:
Upcoming library? Halo is not really popular besides the US

Why does everyone keep saying this? Is there some sales figures that shows Halo barely manages to sell everywhere else?

Speevy

Banned
Joe211 said:
I don't know if the PS3 will surpass the Wii but I think everyone agree that MS won't beat Sony this gen :)

The 360 upcoming lineup is every bit as big as the PS3's.

FrankT

Joe211 said:
I don't know if the PS3 will surpass the Wii but I think everyone agree that MS won't beat Sony this gen :)

Only everyone in a fantasy land setting. Seriously, software don't go their.

PS360

Banned
open_mouth_ said:
Wii will surpass 360 in '08, but 360 will put up a heck of a fight from then on out and it should be able to dominate the PS3 and stay pretty close to the Wii in the territories outside Japan.

360 performance in Europe once PS3 drops in price = wa wa waaaaaaaaaaaaa

jimbo

Banned
westical said:
Why does everyone keep saying this? Is there some sales figures that shows Halo barely manages to sell everywhere else?

Japan = Everywhere else to a lot of fanboys when it comes to 360. And actually it was one of the top 5 best selling Xbox games even there.

arne

starship said:
Sorry arne but 200k monthly is way too low for the Wii in Japan, even in the quiet months. As I said the Wii will sell another +2m more than 360 in Japan alone.
Also we have 9 months till the end of the year (including April) so the Wii has to outsell 360 by 110k monthly worldwide excluding Japan to gain leadership and IMO this is extremely likely.

you're right I miscalculated the number of months because I counted April 1 - Dec 1, I needed to add Dec 1 - Dec 31.

BUT

with 9months the Wii needs to outsell the Xbox 360 by ~333,333 units worldwide every month to make up a 3mil gap.

not the 110k you claim.

right now the Wii is selling 50k per week = ~200k per month in Japan.

listen to what I said, I said your scenario can happen, but the Wii is going to have a perfect track record month-to-month for the remainder of the year.

unachievable? no, I think we BOTH agree that this can happen

will be it be a walk in the park? absolutely not.

Joe211 said:
Everyone agrees? Everyone as in you? I'm pretty sure most people are picking the 360 to beat the PS3 this gen. Why would it not? It has every advantage that the PS2 had last gen (price, head-start, library).

Branduil

jimbo said:
You make it sound as if that's insignificant when in reality the 360 will be close to that number WITHOUT a HALO by the time Halo 3 comes out at a price of $399 with more than a year gone by without price drops. Now I'm not going to tell you that Halo 3 will boost the user base by 20 million but if you believe that Halo 3 will not significantly boost the 360's user base, and you're relying on the old, "whoever is interested in Halo already bought a 360" line of thought, you're in for a rude awakening.

A difference of 10 million is close?

Joe211

Green Shinobi said:
Everyone agrees? Everyone as in you? I'm pretty sure most people are picking the 360 to beat the PS3 this gen. Why would it not? It has every advantage that the PS2 had last gen (price, head-start, library).
wait you are comparing the ps2 library with the 360 library? :lol

jimbo

Banned
arne said:
you're right I miscalculated the number of months because I counted April 1 - Dec 1, I needed to add Dec 1 - Dec 31.

BUT

with 9months the Wii needs to outsell the Xbox 360 by ~333,333 units worldwide every month to make up a 3mil gap.

not the 110k you claim.

listen to what I said, I said your scenario can happen, but the Wii is going to have a perfect track record month-to-month for the remainder of the year.

unachievable? I think we BOTH agree that this can happen

And on top of that you also have to add the other side of the equation: This whole time of the Wii being a perfect little console...... no games, price drops, or the Elite SKU will increase 360 sales in any way shape or form for that entire period from the norm.

Who needs software anyway? Pfffft

jimbo

Banned
Branduil said:
A difference of 10 million is close?

Uhm....sorry come again?

A difference of 10 million? So the 360 hasn't sold anything this year and won't do so anymore until Halo 3 comes out?:lol

PS360

Banned
Green Shinobi said:

I wouldn't agree wholeheartedly (that Sony > MS this gen) but i can see why people are entertaining that idea.

MS does NOT know how to market in Japan, NOR Europe. You cannot compete with the kinds of business relationships Sony has and will continue to establish in the European regions. While Sony is making deals with UEFA and Virgin, MS is...picking their nose and flicking it.

So, in Europe I expect PS3 > 360, and in Japan I expect PS3 > 360. In N.A., depending on how Sony's plans for the PS3's lifecycle work out, it's kind of a toss-up but...I still see less people who go this gen without owning a PS3 than people who go this gen without owning a 360.

Ultimately Sony will probably achieve what they planned...the question is will what they planned be what people want...?

starship

jimbo said:
Uhm....sorry come again?

A difference of 10 million? So the 360 hasn't sold anything this year and won't do so anymore until Halo 3 comes out?:lol
What are you smoking?
Microsoft wants to ship 12m by the end of June, even if they can sell all of them, how many more consoles they can sell between July and September? More than 2m? Xbox sold 24m worldwide.

Pimpwerx

westical said:
Again? They never have been third.
GC sold more worldwide.

For those asking what scenario I envision, it's the one where even a floundering PS3 still manages 5-6M units in Japan, which means the 360 then has to outsell the PS3 by 5-6M units here in NA, assuming a wash in EU. And that's the thing. EU should end up in favor of Sony, and not by a little (IMO). The Xbox sold poorly there, and I'm not certain the 360 is changing that to any great degree. Why are 360 LTD numbers so hard to nail down? Because MS has been awfully quiet about their EU sales. Moreso than Nintendo and Sony. But even given a wash, the utter failure in Japan will always be MS's weakness, b/c it means that even a middling performance by a competitor will result in a significant gain in the global install base.

But like I said, the PS3 is largely an unknown. It looks really shakey right now, but has time. I'm looking at the end of the gen anyway. After this year, it'll probably be pretty clear what the future will look like. The Wii is the only sure bet at this point IMO. PEACE.

PS360 said:
I wouldn't agree wholeheartedly (that Sony > MS this gen) but i can see why people are entertaining that idea.

MS does NOT know how to market in Japan, NOR Europe. You cannot compete with the kinds of business relationships Sony has and will continue to establish in the European regions. While Sony is making deals with UEFA and Virgin, MS is...picking their nose and flicking it.

So, in Europe I expect PS3 > 360, and in Japan I expect PS3 > 360. In N.A., depending on how Sony's plans for the PS3's lifecycle work out, it's kind of a toss-up but...I still see less people who go this gen without owning a PS3 than people who go this gen without owning a 360.

Ultimately Sony will probably achieve what they planned...the question is will what they planned be what people want...?

What matters is the games, the games and the price. The 360 should easily be able to at least sell evenly with the PS3 in Europe once people realize that the graphics are comparable.

In North America, the 360 will dominate the PS3. I'd make a ban-bet that the 360 will outsell the PS3 in North America by at least 6 million units by 2010.

Joe211

AdmiralViscen said:
arne, you'd be better off saying Wii doesn't compete with 360 than trying to say it won't outsell it DAMN quick.
I'm sorry but the wii competes with the 360 and the ps3 and you know why? cause you need money to buy them if a "soccer mom" buys a wii I don't think she'll buy a 360 or ps3 later

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
it's the one where even a floundering PS3 still manages 5-6M units in Japan

erm... is that in this year or overal life time??

if you mean this year, i'd doubt that is going to happen
if you mean life time figures... won't that be a bit of a disaster for Sony? Unless of course they NEVER drop the price and start making uberprofits of their hardware...

starship

arne said:

BUT

not the 110k you claim.

50k is the lowest weekly sales for the Wii in the past weeks (only one time less than 50k iirc, 44k to be specific.)
Also you didn't consider holiday sales, the Wii has to outsell 360 by a margin of 330k monthly on average worldwide.
Finally, actually I think it will be a walk in the park for the Wii, so we'll see.

Drek

I'd just rather get exact figures on the X360 failure rate and how many of those 10M install base systems are actually busted sitting in a warehouse somewhere. Tie ratio is good now while its hardcore gamers but that won't last if the failure rate is as high as I think it is (somewhere around 15%).

arne

starship said:
50k is the lowest weekly sales for the Wii in the past weeks (only one time less than 50k iirc, 44k to be specific.)
Also you didn't consider holiday sales, the Wii has to outsell 360 by a margin of 330k monthly on average worldwide.
Finally, actually I think it will be a walk in the park for the Wii, so we'll see.

you and nightstick11 are one and the same. at least pimpwerx is reasonable with his posts.

at least i'm being reasonable despite my both paid for and personal bias by saying the wii outselling the x360 could happen this year. i believe it's challenging for that to happen no matter how you look at it to be frank. I think 2008 is the year of "the race" for all the consoles.

and with not considering holiday says, you didn't consider any possible bump x2 for Halo 3, or Forza, or GTAIV or, or, or, or. and I didn't consider super mario galaxy, or, or or.

the point is there's too many variables to determine what sales will actually be nov and dec.

PS360

Banned
Green Shinobi said:
What matters is the games, the games and the price. The 360 should easily be able to at least sell evenly with the PS3 in Europe once people realize that the graphics are comparable.

In North America, the 360 will dominate the PS3. I'd make a ban-bet that the 360 will outsell the PS3 in North America by at least 6 million units by 2010.

The 360 COULD sell evenly with the PS3 if MS knew what they were doing in Europe which they absolutely don't. Again, Sony's connections in Europe are rock, ****ing, solid. The Xbox 360 exclusive "UEFA Champions League" game, which features PlayStation 3 ads in various venues (hey, it's real life!) is a small hint that Sony's making the right friends, while MS isn't doing much of anything. As for Asia, you need only look as far as MS' recent "what's wrong with u?" campaign. Weak approach indeed. To be fair, MS' gaming division does not have experience in regional marketing internationally.

Turning quickly back to Europe: I can't actually describe in words how tilted (towards the PlayStation) countries like Portugal and Spain are, as examples.

A 6 million spread by 2010 is pretty optimistic. I won't speculate on that until mid 08.

And don't worry, if it doesn't, I won't send your quote to a mod :D

jimbo

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
GC sold more worldwide.

For those asking what scenario I envision, it's the one where even a floundering PS3 still manages 5-6M units in Japan, which means the 360 then has to outsell the PS3 by 5-6M units here in NA, assuming a wash in EU. And that's the thing. EU should end up in favor of Sony, and not by a little (IMO). The Xbox sold poorly there, and I'm not certain the 360 is changing that to any great degree. Why are 360 LTD numbers so hard to nail down? Because MS has been awfully quiet about their EU sales. Moreso than Nintendo and Sony. But even given a wash, the utter failure in Japan will always be MS's weakness, b/c it means that even a middling performance by a competitor will result in a significant gain in the global install base.

But like I said, the PS3 is largely an unknown. It looks really shakey right now, but has time. I'm looking at the end of the gen anyway. After this year, it'll probably be pretty clear what the future will look like. The Wii is the only sure bet at this point IMO. PEACE.

Ok not only do I disagree with this idea that Sony will somehow suffer a different fate in Europe than it will everywhere else(as I have before it even launched...since last year) but leaked numbers from Europe are already proving this. It went from 165k units sold in the UK(probably the friendliest European market for the PS3 at launch judging by reports) to 17k by its 3RD WEEK. Does anyone care to take bets on where it will be by its 4th and 5th week?

But being from Europe, born and raised, I can assure you Europe is not some sci-fi dimension of people that act like a bunch of lunatic fanatics over anything Sony.

No. Europe is a pretty typical WESTERN market, very much like the US. It's preffered games are action games, sports games, racing games. It just happens to preffer a sport that's not American Football, but other than that....it's very much like the US market. It treats games like GTA, Halo, DMC, RE, PGR, GT, GRAW, COD relatively the same as the US. It's a typical western game market.

The reason Sony became as popular as they did in Europe while the others could not replicate their success of other territories in Europe, is the reason I've been trying to tell people a $600 console won't fly over there.....money. Unlike the US where the spoiled kids of middle America can easily get 2 or 3 consoles and support consoles like the Xbox and the GC alongside their PS2...in Europe that's not the case. There are a lot of gamers that can't afford that. And this is real. They have to pick one. Couple that logic with the wild success of the PS2, and it's almost like the other ones didn't exist.

But in reality, if you compare the original Xbox to the Xbox 360 from launch until now...it actually performed WORSE in the US(ignore the launch fiasco for a second) and JAPAN
and better in Europe. Going strictly by the numbers, you could say Europe has been the friendliest market for the 360. The original Xbox sold around 5 mil in its lifetime in Europe. The 360 should be closing in on 3 mil already. Oh....and unlike the original Xbox, the 360 didn't need a price drop ONE MONTH afer it came out to sell in Europe.

Edit: In short.... What is wrong with some of you and this Sonyland crap? Japan was Sonyland last gen too. So was the US. BRAND IMAGE and MARKETING? The reasons people throw out there for the PS3 outselling the 360 in Europe are the same type of reasons people were using to claim the PS3 was a lock in ALL next-gen market about a year ago. What happened to that type of thinking? It got owned my Media Create, the NPD and the people that simply won't spend $600 for a console when there's a cheaper alternative with the same games, and then some. What about games? Do you honestly believe Europeans will be blind to the fact that they can get their favorite games on the 360 for a cheaper price and then some, and simply buy Sony because Sony has figured out some way to brainwash them?

mintylurb

jimbo said:
Fair enough, but I must ask.

In reality competition isn't stopping it from selling better in the US than last year(this has been proven so far by the NPD), it's actually selling better in Japan week for week as shown by MC(let me say that again ...it's doing better in JAPAN), so why would it be doing worse in Europe?

Xbos 360 sales in japan from MC threads. It's selling a bit better than about a year ago.

4/2/07-4/8/07: 2,963
3/26/07-4/1/07: 3,889
3/19/07-3/25/07: 3,492
3/12/07-3/18/07: 2,910
3/5/07-3/11/07: 3,333
2/26/07-3/4/07: 3,379
2/19/07-2/25/07: 4,183
2/12/07-2/18/07: 5,210
2/5/07-2/11/07: 4,811
1/29/07-2/4/07: 6,130
1/22/07-1/28/07: 7,365(idolmaster week)
1/15/07-1/21/07: 7,041(gears of war week)
1/8/07-1/14/07: 9,035
1/1/07-1/7/07: 18,325
12/25/06-12/31/06: 16,909
12/18/06-12/24/06: 17,213
12/11/06-12/17/06: 17,168
12/04/06-12/10/06: 35,343(blue dragon week)
11/27/06-12/03/06: 4,053
11/13/06-11/19/06: 4,050
8/14/06-8/20/06: 1,493
6/17/06-6/23/06: 1,400
4/3/06-4/9/06: 1,940
3/27/06-4/2/06: 3258
3/20/06-3/26/06: 1,415
3/13/06-3/19/06: 1,039
1/9/06-1/15/06: 6,107

PS360

Banned
jimbo said:
Unlike the US where the spoiled kids of middle America can easily get 2 or 3 consoles and support consoles like the Xbox and the GC alongside their PS2...in Europe that's not the case. .

Spoiled kids of middle America? What does this have to do with anything? If consoles in Europe cost as much as they did in the U.S. (with equivalent prices in terms of rates of exchange), I guess you'd have to make the claim that European kids are spoiled as well...?

jimbo

Banned
mintylurb said:
Xbos 360 sales in japan from MC threads.

4/2/07-4/8/07: 2,963
3/26/07-4/1/07: 3,889
3/19/07-3/25/07: 3,492
3/12/07-3/18/07: 2,910
3/5/07-3/11/07: 3,333
2/26/07-3/4/07: 3,379
2/19/07-2/25/07: 4,183
2/12/07-2/18/07: 5,210
2/5/07-2/11/07: 4,811
1/29/07-2/4/07: 6,130
1/22/07-1/28/07: 7,365(idolmaster week)
1/15/07-1/21/07: 7,041(gears of war week)
1/8/07-1/14/07: 9,035
1/1/07-1/7/07: 18,325
12/25/06-12/31/06: 16,909
12/18/06-12/24/06: 17,213
12/11/06-12/17/06: 17,168
12/04/06-12/10/06: 35,343(blue dragon week)
11/27/06-12/03/06: 4,053

I'm not sure what you're trying to compare. Are you comparing Dec 2006 weeks to early 2007 weeks? Wow....my post must have completely gone over your head.

Here let me show you what I mean:

Jan 2-8 2006 X360 - 7,477 Jan 1-7 2007 X360 - 18,235
Jan 9-15 2006 X360 - 6,107 Jan8-14 2007 X360 - 9,035
Feb 13-19 2006 X360 - 1,314 Feb 12-18 2007 X360 - 5,210
Apr 3-9 2006 X360 - 1,940 Apr 2-8 X360 - 2,963

Notice how for the same time period in 2006, the 360 sold MORE in 2007? You can look at it week by week if you want, I didn't feel like writing it all out. It's a solid pattern. The 360 sold better this year in Japan compared to last year pretty much every week.

jimbo

Banned
PS360 said:
Spoiled kids of middle America? What does this have to do with anything? If consoles in Europe cost as much as they did in the U.S. (with equivalent prices in terms of rates of exchange), I guess you'd have to make the claim that European kids are spoiled as well...?

I'm sorry I thought I was pretty clear. My point was the US can support multiple consoles much easier than Europe can because of income differences.

This isn't just with consoles either. It's with pretty much everything. Look at cars per family for example.

Pimpwerx

DCharlie said:
erm... is that in this year or overal life time??

if you mean this year, i'd doubt that is going to happen
if you mean life time figures... won't that be a bit of a disaster for Sony? Unless of course they NEVER drop the price and start making uberprofits of their hardware...
Full life. And yes, a catastrophic failure for Sony. But I don't think beating MS to some also-ran status is any victory for Sony either. I think it's gonna be kinda embarassing one way or another, as I don't see either platform making a dent in the Wii. It pains me to say it, but Nintendo definitely got it right this gen, and Sony and MS got it terribly wrong. PEACE.

fresquito

arne said:

BUT

not the 110k you claim.

Even if in Europe and USA Xbox360 and Wii sold the same (which isn't the case at the moment), Japan alone would make the difference.

Last month figures for the Wii were around 250k, this is not counting the bump in production (since Wii is supply constrained), Golden Week that is round the corner, important launches like Mario galaxy or Holidays, that will see at least a million Wiis being moved from stores is supply can meet demand.

So it's not that is perfectly achievable, but I see it as a given.

mintylurb

jimbo said:
I'm not sure what you're trying to compare. Are you comparing Dec 2006 weeks to early 2007 weeks? Wow....my post must have completely gone over your head.
I was actually trying to post the xbox 360 jp sales numbers dating back from 2005 to now to show its sales have improved a bit but older numbers are a bit of pain to find. But yeah, Wow.

arne

Segata Sanshiro said:
Man, am I ever glad I walked away from this. This thread has gone from silly to cluster**** in under one page.

what i want to know is, this thread was wholly and completely about Microsoft in the OP. we did all the nintendo supporters come from?

in light of that, how come there's only one, maybe 2, ps3 supporters?

fresquito said:
Last month figures for the Wii were around 250k, this is not counting the bump in production (since Wii is supply constrained), Golden Week that is round the corner, important launches like Mario galaxy or Holidays, that will see at least a million Wiis being moved from stores is supply can meet demand.

So it's not that is perfectly achievable, but I see it as a given.

and again, can you predict what the x360 will do over the holidays and during important launches like halo 3, etc., etc.?

but whatever, I quit.

arne said:
what i want to know is, this thread was wholly and completely about Microsoft in the OP. we did all the nintendo supporters come from?

Where they always come from. The stout defenders of other systems always show up in threads that have nothing to do with them. It's why we can't have nice things.

fresquito

arne said:
and again, can you predict what the x360 will do over the holidays and during important launches like halo 3, etc., etc.?

but whatever, I quit.
Hey, I was just talking about Japan. Halo launch will do nothing in Japan, you can bet on it. I clearly said "if both consoles sold equally in the rest of the world", and you know I'm being fair, since the Wii is outselling the Xbox360 everywhere when it's severely supply constrained. I'm not playing the crystal ball game, I'm just saying Nintendo is competing in three territories and MS just in two, that alone should make the gap unnexistant by year's end.

Joe211

jimbo said:
Edit: In short.... What is wrong with some of you and this Sonyland crap? Japan was Sonyland last gen too. So was the US. BRAND IMAGE and MARKETING? The reasons people throw out there for the PS3 outselling the 360 in Europe are the same type of reasons people were using to claim the PS3 was a lock in ALL next-gen market about a year ago. What happened to that type of thinking? It got owned my Media Create, the NPD and the people that simply won't spend $600 for a console when there's a cheaper alternative with the same games, and then some. What about games? Do you honestly believe Europeans will be blind to the fact that they can get their favorite games on the 360 for a cheaper price and then some, and simply buy Sony because Sony has figured out some way to brainwash them?

360 isn't doing a great job in Europe that's a fact and that's why MS don't give numbers don't you remember what Reggie said:
"360 is selling well only in one country: UK. Across the rest of Europe, it is not performing well."
and even MS PR didn't say he was wrong, actually they said:
"[we are] very happy with how Xbox 360 is performing in Europe. We do not release figures by country, but we are on target to meet our goal of 12 million consoles sold worldwide by the end of June 2007"
And this was after GOW with zero competition in the next gen area I don't see how the 360 will do a better job this Christmas with the PS3 and Wii on the shelves.

kiUNiT

Pimpwerx said:
Full life. And yes, a catastrophic failure for Sony. But I don't think beating MS to some also-ran status is any victory for Sony either. I think it's gonna be kinda embarassing one way or another, as I don't see either platform making a dent in the Wii. It pains me to say it, but Nintendo definitely got it right this gen, and Sony and MS got it terribly wrong. PEACE.

Well if you count saving money on electric bills getting it totally right this gen then I guess MS comes in last because between me and my sons it seems to be on all the time playing games. My PS3 comes in second mostly as a Blu-Ray player and MS machine and the Wii has first place all wrapped up because other than a week of WiiPlay it hasen't really been on since january. The next few month don't seem to be looking any different with the GAME releases on the horizon.

kiUNiT said:
Well if you count saving money on electric bills getting it totally right this gen then I guess MS comes in last because between me and my sons it seems to be on all the time playing games. My PS3 comes in second mostly as a Blu-Ray player and MS machine and the Wii has first place all wrapped up because other than a week of WiiPlay it hasen't really been on since january. The next few month don't seem to be looking any different with the GAME releases on the horizon.

See now this gets a First Blood Part II

arne

fresquito said:
Hey, I was just talking about Japan. Halo launch will do nothing in Japan, you can bet on it. I clearly said "if both consoles sold equally in the rest of the world", and you know I'm being fair, since the Wii is outselling the Xbox360 everywhere when it's severely supply constrained. I'm not playing the crystal ball game, I'm just saying Nintendo is competing in three territories and MS just in two, that alone should make the gap unnexistant by year's end.

i'm not even looking at who is competing for what. i'm looking at WW sales figures.

and it's still 333k total in every territory WW for Wii to CATCH the x360.

what happens if the wii stumbles? or conversely, what happens if the x360 stumbles?
what happens if MS cuts the price? what happens if nintendo matches it?
what happens if we have black monday all over again?

I'm only predicting what might happen all things being equal since none of us can account for the impact (or non-impact) of any given game launch. i don't think that saying it's a given in the 9mo is exactly a logical conclusion.

but jesus people, I'm also not saying "not gonna happen, wii suxxx0rs." I just said *i* think it's a challenging goal.

challenging =/= never.

Top Bottom