• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 | We Don't Need Roads

I'm hoping that these addon companies are just going to make them available via steam and using steam DRM. I can't be arsed faffing around anymore with activation licenses and that shit. FSD-International put me off flight sim completely in the FSX days.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Couldn't wait so I unpacked the new yoke and installed Aerofly FS2 and my dusty Rift VR headset. Damn, the Honeycomb yoke is so good, it's like night and day compared to flying with the X52 Pro (which is still a fine stick in itself). Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Guys are you ready for Tuesday!!!??

I can't wait for the 3090 to go on sale in September. That should be enough bandwidth to run this game at 4k/60FPS @ Ultra settings. We'll see.

I'm so ready and so hyped! I upgraded my motherboard, RAM, cooling and PSU. Once 3090 drops I'll definitely get it day one (I'm rocking 2080Ti at the moment).

Catphish

Couldn't wait so I unpacked the new yoke and installed Aerofly FS2 and my dusty Rift VR headset. Damn, the Honeycomb yoke is so good, it's like night and day compared to flying with the X52 Pro (which is still a fine stick in itself). Highly recommended.
What are your rig specs?

nemiroff

Gold Member
What are your rig specs?

Currently

8700k CPU
32GB RAM
GTX1080

Don't know how it will fare in FS2020, but I've been very happy about the PC so far. But will upgrade once Nvidia announces 30xx, need maximum speed for the Reverb G2..

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
just slapped in more ram and got new sticks

so many podcasts need listening, flights to land ...

Last edited:

Catphish

Currently

8700k CPU
32GB RAM
GTX1080

Don't know how it will fare in FS2020, but I've been very happy about the PC so far. But will upgrade once Nvidia announces 30xx, need maximum speed for the Reverb G2..
👍

That's about what I got, but I have a 6700. I'm cautiously optimistic, but will likely build out a new rig after the 3000 series drops.

betrayal

Banned
FYI. If you're not on Steam the game can be downloaded and played right now. Works for me with the MS Store and/or Game Pass PC. Set your region to Kiribati (no joke). It's been August 18th for 20 minutes there.

gqL2ZGr.png

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member
FYI. If you're not on Steam the game can be downloded and played right now. Works for me with the MS Store and/or Game Pass PC. Set you region to Kiribati (no joke). It's been August 18th for 20 minutes there.
My windows store is broken atm and trying to troubleshoot now... the pain...the pain

I really wish the various simulators would use the same world map...Like Train Simulator, Euro Truck Simulator. The areas would be gradually upgraded with new details, better models.
Imagine if they were to add some other games like Forza to use the same world - but with more details.

tronied

Not to put a dampener on that suggestion, but apparently it is against Microsoft's Store TOS. This has the possibility of an account suspension or ban. I'm not saying it will happen, but another 12 or so hours is not that long to wait to be safe.

MastAndo

It's horrible. I was this close to wiping my OS partition and reinstalling Windows because none of the Store apps would work before I managed to get it sorted after having at it for hours.

It's working now though, and I got the download going with the Kiribati region thing. Now to sleep for a few hours while I wait!

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
Use the Xbox (Beta) App for PC. This bypasses the problems with the MS Store and everything you download etc. takes place directly in this app. You can also manage and play games of the Game Pass etc. much easier.

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member
Use the Xbox (Beta) App for PC. This bypasses the problems with the MS Store and everything you download etc. takes place directly in this app. You can also manage and play games of the Game Pass etc. much easier.
The xbox app just stayed a black screen for me when i tried to open it, so uninstalled it to reinstall it and now I can't even install it again. it says i own it but when i press install it does nothing. the fun of windows store!

Last edited:

Droxcy

FYI. If you're not on Steam the game can be downloaded and played right now. Works for me with the MS Store and/or Game Pass PC. Set your region to Kiribati (no joke). It's been August 18th for 20 minutes there.

gqL2ZGr.png

87gb out of 91gb currently and almost have to leave for work going to be a long a 8 hours.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm watching a streamer now with a 4 year old PC, and older Intel CPU, 32GB RAM and a GTX1080. He's running it in Ultra and claims it's "surprisingly very smooth" (don't know at what resolution though). That's great news to me.

Even though I'm on 500/500 internet tubes it's still disappointing that Steam doesn't have pre-loading up... I don't get it.

Last edited:

TriSuit666

Banned
I'm getting an error on opening the exe:

'The filename, directory name, or volume label is incorrect'.

Game doesn't even start.

betrayal

Banned
I'm getting an error on opening the exe:

'The filename, directory name, or volume label is incorrect'.

Game doesn't even start.

This is more a common Windows error than a problem with the game. Just google for the error (which I'm sure you're doing right now). Good luck anyway. :messenger_expressionless:

It's nice to see all the positive reviews for a Flight Simulator game! Unfortunatly I don't have a gaming pc but one day I'll play flight simulator again :)
My old love for flightsim games is coming back...

On a sidenote, I hope someone will try to recreate the Windows 10 logon screen (the one with the plane wing and islands) in FS2020

Last edited:

TriSuit666

Banned
This is more a common Windows error than a problem with the game. Just google for the error (which I'm sure you're doing right now). Good luck anyway. :messenger_expressionless:

It's because I'm running an Insider build of Windows - loads of people apparently getting the same error with FS2020. :(

VFXVeteran

Banned

Interview with devs

This developer immediately mentioned "accurate shadow information". Already based on that, those guys know their shit! Shadows are so so important to realism. It's absolutely required.. and in GI, the ambient occlusion is what makes that shadowing more important for realism.

Shmunter

This developer immediately mentioned "accurate shadow information". Already based on that, those guys know their shit! Shadows are so so important to realism. It's absolutely required.. and in GI, the ambient occlusion is what makes that shadowing more important for realism.
What about the Raytracing? Did they address it?

VFXVeteran

Banned
What about the Raytracing? Did they address it?

RT will come later I think. I'm not sure I would use it liberallly in this game. I guess they can RT the entire cockpit with reflections and GI. Outside doesn't need RT GI or shadowing because the objects would be really small in an average frame.

Shmunter

RT will come later I think. I'm not sure I would use it liberallly in this game. I guess they can RT the entire cockpit with reflections and GI. Outside doesn't need RT GI or shadowing because the objects would be really small in an average frame.
What’s with Microsoft and no RT at launch? Not great.

VFXVeteran

Banned
RT a sim of that scale would be very difficult to implement at a good FPS and Resolution. Just because RT is the new thing doesn't mean it's viable for every single game out there. It depends on how much RT will help and what the cost will be. Most games coming on the consoles will probably only take advantage of reflections anyway. I hope we don't see a bunch of shiny mirrors all over the place just because they can do it. That would suck.

Shmunter

RT a sim of that scale would be very difficult to implement at a good FPS and Resolution. Just because RT is the new thing doesn't mean it's viable for every single game out there. It depends on how much RT will help and what the cost will be. Most games coming on the consoles will probably only take advantage of reflections anyway. I hope we don't see a bunch of shiny mirrors all over the place just because they can do it. That would suck.
Nah, can’t let them off this easy. Game needs work to bring up to next gen expectations. Maybe on XsX.

Wonko_C

This is the first time I have seen that actual pilots are praising the game for its authenticity and level of detail. Gamepass is love.
My actual pilot friend who has a computer capable of running the simulator just told me he's sticking with FSX Steam Edition because "It has not enough planes and airports to fly in". He doesn't even want to try it on Game Pass as a curiosity. I can't believe his stubborness. :/

TriSuit666

Banned
So... yeah, my issue was caused by being on the Insider Preview Build, dropped a quick dual-boot standard Windows on and it's working fine now.

MastAndo

Getting pretty crap performance with this one. I think it's the fact that my CPU is an i7-3770k though I believe it meets minimum requirements, and CPU utilization isn't close to max. With a 2080 Super, I'm struggling to stay at 40 fps at 1080p on High settings, and there are stutters everywhere. Plus, I've had two crashes in less than 2 hours of game time. I guess I'll wait for some sort of optimization guide and try again.

TheMan

As a new citizen of Kiribati, I was able to play this for an hour earlier today. It's pretty fantastic.

Protip: if you have trackIR 5, there is a new update available through the trackir software. update it and then try it. There is no "enable track IR button" in the game, it just works if detected.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I can't even load the steam store page......... no download for me - yet

Edit: What the, I just read that for Steam it's a different release time than the MS store, 6 hours later, why the fuck.. And not even a pre-install.............................................

Last edited:
Top Bottom