• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 | We Don't Need Roads

Wonko_C

Getting pretty crap performance with this one. I think it's the fact that my CPU is an i7-3770k though I believe it meets minimum requirements, and CPU utilization isn't close to max. With a 2080 Super, I'm struggling to stay at 40 fps at 1080p on High settings, and there are stutters everywhere. Plus, I've had two crashes in less than 2 hours of game time. I guess I'll wait for some sort of optimization guide and try again.
Par for the course for flight simulators. They're super CPU intensive, especially if you pair big aircraft with large cities. Best to try to aim for locked 30.

Last edited:

TheMan

I can't even load the steam store page......... no download for me - yet

Edit: What the, I just read that for Steam it's a different release time than the MS store, 6 hours later, why the fuck.. And not even a pre-install.............................................

steam store is down for everyone.

and yes, only gamepass subscribers get the game early. Even MS store buyers have to wait i believe.

Compsiox

Banned
I can't load in. Stuck at the first loading screen after the accessibility options.

Edit: After restarting it 4 times I got the prompt to install the rest of the game.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
steam store is down for everyone.

and yes, only gamepass subscribers get the game early. Even MS store buyers have to wait i believe.
No on MS store is for buy at the same time. But who would do it honestly.

Rikkori

11.5 GB Vram
13 GB RAM
1440p

Woof
FrailFantasticHumpbackwhale-small.gif

M1chl

Radeon VII with 16GB VRAM and 1TB/s bandwidth should shine with this game, I guess? Mated with 32GB RAM.
Possibly, but that card was produced in pretty little batch, but if you have it, then sure. VII many times was neck to neck with 2080Ti.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Possibly, but that card was produced in pretty little batch, but if you have it, then sure. VII many times was neck to neck with 2080Ti.

Had to contact amazon support 3 times to force them to release it, then secured my preorder at $699. It was being resold at $1400-1000 on Amazon by resellers and always out of stock. A wonderful productivity card, hybrid you can say.

M1chl

Hell this game is only DX11 I've read. Maybe that's why XSX is not annouced :messenger_fearful:

This is also the reason why no RT in here.

Had to contact amazon support 3 times to force them to release it, then secured my preorder at $699. It was being resold at $1400-1000 on Amazon by resellers and always out of stock. A wonderful productivity card, hybrid you can say.
Basically all of them was sold to crypto miners (where the high bandwidth is bliss) through the shaky distribution channels. Because if you are making money right off the bat, etc.. So nice catch there : )

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Basically all of them was sold to crypto miners (where the high bandwidth is bliss) through the shaky distribution channels. Because if you are making money right off the bat, etc.. So nice catch there : )

And it's been mentioned as ideal here:

microsoft-flight-sim-2020-hardware-specs.jpg

But they strangely wrote 8GB VRAM instead of 16GB. Not gonna try it, anyway, but it's an interesting sim.

M1chl

And it's been mentioned as ideal here:

microsoft-flight-sim-2020-hardware-specs.jpg

But they strangely wrote 8GB VRAM instead of 16GB. Not gonna try it, anyway, but it's an interesting sim.
I think they put it here for people who has something between RX 590 and VII, that 8GB is enough for not being limited with VRAM.

noise36

Thought I would check this out on gamepass with my 3700X and GTX1070 and while it seems to run ok on high, the actual flying is difficult.

I thought all assists on it would be easy like flying a plane in a battlefield game or something but no apparently not.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Games pass is too good a deal to resist for this one, especially with the $1 introductory offer. It might be the kind of thing I want to own permanently, but since it costs as much as a year on Game Pass I can take my time figuring that out.

I haven't really played MS Flight Simulator since the 90s, but I'm getting pretty jazzed to give this one a go.

The massage parlor music that plays during the hours long download screen is making we want a handjob.

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
Thought I would check this out on gamepass with my 3700X and GTX1070 and while it seems to run ok on high, the actual flying is difficult.

I thought all assists on it would be easy like flying a plane in a battlefield game or something but no apparently not.
as i stated before,this is none of that,this is a real flight sim,not battlefield or any consolized fliying model,people expect ace combat with prettier graphics

PanzerAzel

Cock-pit views

Q7mUpad.jpg

XDP8C3H.jpg
Stop it. 😡🤬

Despite some kooks posting beautiful screenshots, hearing about all the launch issues is making my decision to hold off a bit easier. Sounds like a rough launch with some performance problems. MS’s servers must be blowing steam at present.

Hopefully in 3+ months time everything will be ironed out and the marketplace will have enough fixes and add-ons to bring this even closer to its fullest potential. I want this to be in great shape when I dive in with the best hardware available. Gonna let this one marinate a bit.

Last edited:
Stop it. 😡🤬

Despite some kooks posting beautiful screenshots, hearing about all the launch issues is making my decision to hold off a bit easier. Sounds like a rough launch. MS’s servers must be blowing steam at present.

Hopefully in 3+ months time everything will be ironed out and the marketplace will have enough fixes and add-ons to bring this even closer to its fullest potential. I want this to be in great shape when I dive in with the best hardware available.
I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones. It took long time to download but other than that there are no problems. Loading times all things considered are tolerable and so far no streaming issues (I'm on Wi-Fi).

Few more teasers / crowd pleasers.

GhLiyTH.jpg

aRCXMYg.jpg

RH6EK6i.jpg

nemiroff

Gold Member
Stop it. 😡🤬

Despite some kooks posting beautiful screenshots, hearing about all the launch issues is making my decision to hold off a bit easier. Sounds like a rough launch with some performance problems. MS’s servers must be blowing steam at present.

Hopefully in 3+ months time everything will be ironed out and the marketplace will have enough fixes and add-ons to bring this even closer to its fullest potential. I want this to be in great shape when I dive in with the best hardware available. Gonna let this one marinate a bit.

There are many issues for some people to get the game downloaded and playing, but I don't think the servers are the problem. I'm downloading the game for the third time (!) now, and download speeds have never been under 500Mb/s. I think they'll sort things out much quicker than we think. It's just frustrating now, been waiting a long time for this..

Last edited:

SCB3

I gave this a few hours earlier, I'm not big into sims, but I kinda liked it, I went from Gatwick to Manchester in a Airbus A320 (I think thats a normal Plane I've been on), got close to the Airport and broke my engine...

Back to the Tutorials I think, its half making me want a flight stick (also for Star Wars Squadrons and if Star Citizen ever comes out)

TriSuit666

Banned
AphexTwunt AphexTwunt Yes, mate. My main install is on a Dev Channel build, which apparently is the cause.

Had to slap on a fresh normie build and dual-boot the damn thing just to play FS2020.

And it's still installing! Another 20Gb to go.

amigastar

Does anyone else have also the issue that starting on the runway, the Propellerplane steers to the left on the ground and i have to countersteer on the Z-Axis to the right?

Last edited:

sandkiller

Probably the only game not available on Playstation that I'd like to play but, between 1200€+ for a new PC or 500€+ for XsX for just one game... i guess i'll stick to twitch streams...

Onikaan

The game runs like ass for me on every setting from High to Low - and apparently I meet "Recommended". So, not quite sure what's going on.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Doing a fresh Windows re-install did the trick, I'm finally running the game after 12 hours of trying to fix it. The funny thing is that it took less time reinstalling Windows than it took to try to find another way to get the game running.. Oh well.

I pre-loaded the game on gamepass, and started the 97gb update this morning, but the download speed is ridiculous (max 800kb/s). There's something wrong, no way this is just high demand.
Guess I'll have to wait a couple of days to try this :messenger_pensive:

MastAndo

The game seems to be running better for me today than it did yesterday. Perhaps it's because the game is able to stream assets in more quickly when I have my time zone on my PC set properly (and not in Kiribati)? I do get these strange, sudden long pauses where I think the game is frozen. It lasts about 10-15 seconds, and it happens in graphically intense areas (i.e. NYC), particularly when I try to change the weather to add more clouds and such. It's been playable though despite my i7-3770K, and I would say I'm generally between 30-ish (city) and almost 60 fps (countryside) at 1440p with High settings with a 2080 Super.

As for the game, I can see myself hopping in and out to check out whatever location pops in my head, since it is a really nice looking game - spectacular at times. I can't say it's heightened my interests in playing it as a true sim though. It's perfectly accessible for a noob/casual player if you adjust some of the assistance settings, and can be kind of fun, but I still find myself switching to drone camera mode more often than not and getting my sightseeing fix that way.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
This is the new Crysis, isn't it?

The detail in this is pretty unreal. I found my place, it's there and completely recognizable. Zoomed around my old hood as well. I really like this, it's like what you always wished MS Flight Simulator would be when you were a kid.

Wonko_C

Yesterday I installed the simulator and today I find out it ate another 100+ GB from my HDD besides the first 100GB it takes normally. Then I uninstalled the simulator and I'm still not getting my 100GB back. Sigh.

Top Bottom