• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 | We Don't Need Roads

Skyr

Why MS didn’t showcase this in July, instead of that other shit I don’t want to recall?
They probably didn't want to announce it as solely a series x console exclusive.

I have the suspicion that they somehow want to make it work on xbox one but aren't quite there yet. Tho I'm not sure how it's supposed to run on that. 720p?

Just a thought tho.

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

While it looks incredible in so many respects, one thing I’ve noticed that is a bit glaring are the lack of fluid dynamics and shore effects. Being from HI, one of the most beautiful parts of flying around the islands are seeing the breaking waves, rivers, pools and waterfalls. I watched a video of Hawaii yesterday and while it looks like a promising start, it left a lot to be desired in terms of the shorelines. All I’ve seen so far is static water (aside the ocean and lakes with the wind). The shorelines are always dead like a calm lake as are waterfalls. No waves, no real whitewater.

Since the terrain is based on an AI implementation of satellite data that will be continually updated, how can such dynamic effects be incorporated over it (by perhaps a third party)? I’m curious how this will work, as everything is looking so good that the water is sticking out like a sore thumb. I’m honestly a bit surprised they didn’t model shore/tidal effects, its absence in an otherwise extremely realistic recreation of the planet is an odd exclusion.

Last edited:
The nice thing about this game is that as a platform it can essentially evolve over time. Model qualities, things like the animals and other props that litter the evironments can be updated and improved in the future. The scan data can be improved upon and all their procedural systems can be improved and touched up.

I think this game will scale very well into the future.

MastAndo

Anyone know if this game offers any sort of in-flight, integrated music options? I know it goes against the sim nature of the game, but I think it would be a really cool option to be able to control onboard radio\satellite stations ala Euro Truck Simulator while exploring the world. I believe pilots are allowed to have music on another com that gets interrupted when air traffic is trying to communicate with them, so maybe it isn't actually that far-fetched.

I really think things like that, plus missions/progression would open this game up to a whole other demographic for the long haul. The true sim elements\options would still be there of course, as to not have the game stray from its roots for players who want it that way. It's already getting attention from everywhere far beyond the reach of a typical sim, and I think there's a huge opportunity here.

A crazy stunt flight video in NYC. The first few seconds look legit like real life footage to me. When it started I was like "Ye I guess they want to compare it to real footage". But it actually was the game already. Nuts.

Ok I live in NYC this was so spot on. You’re telling me they can do this in a flight simulator?!? That must mean we can have an open world game with interiors in the city now for everything.

While it looks incredible in so many respects, one thing I’ve noticed that is a bit glaring are the lack of fluid dynamics and shore effects. Being from HI, one of the most beautiful parts of flying around the islands are seeing the breaking waves, rivers, pools and waterfalls. I watched a video of Hawaii yesterday and while it looks like a promising start, it left a lot to be desired in terms of the shorelines. All I’ve seen so far is static water (aside the ocean and lakes with the wind). The shorelines are always dead like a calm lake as are waterfalls. No waves, no real whitewater.

Since the terrain is based on an AI implementation of satellite data that will be continually updated, how can such dynamic effects be incorporated over it (by perhaps a third party)? I’m curious how this will work, as everything is looking so good that the water is sticking out like a sore thumb. I’m honestly a bit surprised they didn’t model shore/tidal effects, its absence in an otherwise extremely realistic recreation of the planet is an odd exclusion.
Didn’t one guy do a video where he shows the wave effects

PanzerAzel

Didn’t one guy do a video where he shows the wave effects
I’ve only seen one of open water affected by increasing the wind to extremely high levels. I’m more referring to shore break (waves breaking into turbulent whitewater, not just white caps on swell peaks in open sea) and water movement not necessarily tied to wind at all (rivers and waterfalls).

Schmick

I’ve only seen one of open water affected by increasing the wind to extremely high levels. I’m more referring to shore break (waves breaking into turbulent whitewater, not just white caps on swell peaks in open sea) and water movement not necessarily tied to wind at all (rivers and waterfalls).
You are right it's certainly distracting. I've seen videos of a plane landing on the water and theres no waves created at all from the plane. However I'm sure that things like this could either be implemented for release or as a free update later down the road.

I'm actually quite excited how this game is going to look in a years time. I believe Bing maps is updated on a 28 day cycle so we can expect the world to continually update. Theres support for VR coming plus DLC planned in the future which will introduce helicopters and gliders. Hopefully we wont be waiting too long for the multi crew update.

nemiroff

Gold Member
There are plenty of flaws to find for those who contextually don't understand what FS2020 is about, or disregard its technology because photogrammetry/map data/AI is not always pixel-perfect on ground level (right now..). With that said, some of it are legitimate concerns as well. I too noticed f.ex. the lack of water effects at the shore, and splash/wake effects on the seaplane. But, looking at the obvious attention of detail from the devs suggest they already know and have put such things in the backlog. The most exciting things are the things the sim does right. And my favourite thought about this is that there's nothing to stop MS from trying to perfect it down the line, it's an ever iterating project that only can get better. The technology is so cool that, in theory, every little part of the planet can be realistically recreated and implemented down to millimetre level - Including interiors (for whatever reason.., but the point is that it can actually be done), "things", animation, and "creatures" as well.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I believe big shore waves are really hard to reproduce even in games with more controlled map enviroments, so i don't think this'll be happening on this one. At best some generic foamy looking waves closer to the shores

Last edited:

Sho_Gunn

Banned
A crazy stunt flight video in NYC. The first few seconds look legit like real life footage to me. When it started I was like "Ye I guess they want to compare it to real footage". But it actually was the game already. Nuts.

This looks amazing! but why are there so many trees?

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

There are plenty of flaws to find for those who contextually don't understand what FS2020 is about, or disregard its technology because photogrammetry/map data/AI is not always pixel-perfect on ground level (right now..). With that said, some of it are legitimate concerns as well. I too noticed f.ex. the lack of water effects at the shore, and splash/wake effects on the seaplane. But, looking at the obvious attention of detail from the devs suggest they already know and have put such things in the backlog. The most exciting things are the things the sim does right. And my favourite thought about this is that there's nothing to stop MS from trying to perfect it down the line, it's an ever iterating project that only can get better. The technology is so cool that, in theory, every little part of the planet can be realistically recreated and implemented down to millimetre level - Including interiors (for whatever reason.., but the point is that it can actually be done), "things", animation, and "creatures" as well.
I’m not meaning to downplay what this sim is achieving, it’s mind-blowing what’s been accomplished. Never would’ve I imagined flight sims would get to this point of fidelity, especially on such a scale.

I hope shore/waterfall/river effects are in the backlog or will be addressed by third parties at some point. It’s just odd to me that the devs would take effort to model herds of animals (for example) something that would be relatively unseen by many players, when most will be far more likely to tour beautiful spots, and those locations typically involve water, or the meeting of land and water. I suppose it sticks out to me much more as I live around this so not to see it is much more noticeable.
I believe big shore waves are really hard to reproduce even in games with more controlled map enviroments, so i don't think this'll be happening on this one. At best some generic foamy looking waves closer to the shores
That would be great, at least something. I don’t believe it would take that much as players will not be getting up close enough to see the corners cut. I realize modeling fluid to any realistic degree is massively hardware intensive, but I’d think they could at the very least overlay FMV of shore break over a basic polygonal mesh or something else.

Last edited:

PerfectDark

Banned
MS wasted me. This is the only exclusive game I was looking forward to the last few years and only reason I have xbox's. Didn't realize it was just PC for now.

Tschumi

I've said this elsewhere... I won't really be interested in flight simulator until it becomes a pilot simulator.. where we are in the shoes of a pilot, training, getting accreditation, signing contracts, passing security checks, moving ahead of passengers to board early~ bonking stewardesses in your hotel (or stewards), whathaveyou.

What I'm kind of saying here is i got over the novelty of taking off about 17 years ago and i haven't been back since

Orta

Banned

The graphics, them graphics ffs

I'm going to be spending 99% of the time just farting about in my plane when I get that game.

Missions? Fuck off. I need to land on Niagara Falls.

Last edited:
  • Strength
Reactions: GHG

levyjl1988

Banned
People will play this game and crash into the tallest building they see.
The same psychology applies to playing Roller Coaster Tycoon and having guests ride half made roller coasters and you see the fiery explosion, or when you remove the floor under the guests and allow them to drown. You're also the same person who would drop the baby penguin at the end of the level in Super Mario 64 after reuniting him/her with the parent.

/gamers

Wonko_C

The same psychology applies to playing Roller Coaster Tycoon and having guests ride half made roller coasters and you see the fiery explosion, or when you remove the floor under the guests and allow them to drown. You're also the same person who would drop the baby penguin at the end of the level in Super Mario 64 after reuniting him/her with the parent.

/gamers
This is all that happens when you crash, so nope.
3CnxoVI.jpg

VFXVeteran

Banned
This technology is amazing. I'm more impressed with it than UE5 demo. I can't believe they are selectively placing buildings where they should go based on map data. To even get 60FPS is an amazing feat. I don't expect it to hold though. Can't wait to see what the 3080Ti can do to remedy that. Truly mind-blowing graphics.

MastAndo

Someone is livestreaming on Twitch right now;

He says he's not breaking NDA, but he's the only one streaming, which is weird.

skneogaf

I've ordered the thrustmaster hotas warthog and throttle, the thrustmaster tpr pendular rudder and the honeycomb yoke.

I only have one cockpit though so I'm not quite sure how I'll fit everything.

I may have to order a second cockpit.

kuncol02

Banned

/gamers
That was even part of ads for MS Flight Simulator 2000

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President

/gamers

Damn, I did all of this!

Top Bottom