• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

Irminsul

Could anyone with a bit more knowledge in relative CPU/GPU speeds tell me whether the Surface Pro 3 (say, in the i7 configuration) is noticeably/a bit faster than my previous laptop (or even slower)?

I have a Vaio Z12 (from 2010, I think) with an i7-620M CPU and a (slightly underclocked, iirc) GT330M GPU. Even though the SSD is a 2x64 GB Toshiba in RAID 0, I guess current SSDs are a bit faster than that.

The laptop itself is still quite speedy, but the screen got some issues and sadly, nobody is building anything equivalent any more ("normal" non-ULV mobile CPU, dedicated GPU, still small and light). The Surface Pro 3 is quite sexy though and I could think about getting one, but not if my four year old laptop would be still faster (and better suited for gaming).

Spinluck

The disadvantage of owning an ultrabook + an ipad mini or nexus is far less than owning a 1.8lb "tablet"

Have you owned a Surface before?

I know some people personally, and even a few posters here on GAF have mentioned they like their Surface better than any laptop they've ever owned. For some of them that includes even the Macbook.

There's a market attracted to the idea and concept of this device, I don't think it's for everyone though.. yet.

Totakeke

Could anyone with a bit more knowledge in relative CPU/GPU speeds tell me whether the Surface Pro 3 (say, in the i7 configuration) is noticeably/a bit faster than my previous laptop (or even slower)?

I have a Vaio Z12 (from 2010, I think) with an i7-620M CPU and a (slightly underclocked, iirc) GT330M GPU. Even though the SSD is a 2x64 GB Toshiba in RAID 0, I guess current SSDs are a bit faster than that.

The laptop itself is still quite speedy, but the screen got some issues and sadly, nobody is building anything equivalent any more ("normal" non-ULV mobile CPU, dedicated GPU, still small and light). The Surface Pro 3 is quite sexy though and I could think about getting one, but not if my four year old laptop would be still faster (and better suited for gaming).

I use these to get a general idea of how they compare.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

Passmark G3D Mark
(higher is better)
Intel HD 4400 - 530
GeForce GT 330M - 370

Passmark CPU Mark
(higher is better)
Intel Core i7 M 620 @ 2.67GHz - 2739
Intel Core i5-4300U @ 1.90GHz - 3748

Also if you weren't using a newer OS before, you can also see performance improvements with the same hardware.

cbox

Definitely another option now when I start looking for a new laptop. I was looking to get a macbook air when they finally upgrade the screen but this is a new contender.

Your current laptop is going to be about on par with the i3 model.

The i5 and i7 models will be significant upgrades.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Somebody tell me how much of a difference the i7 would make from the i5 if I wanted to do some heavy video editing. The price jump between the two is pretty huge (especially here in Aus), but I only buy a new comp once every 5 years.

video editing is the thing that you buy an i7 for, but the normal premium is just $100 more for it, and at the end of the day in means encoding a video at 25 seconds as opposed to like 30.

Irminsul

I use these to get a general idea of how they compare.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

Passmark G3D Mark
(higher is better)
Intel HD 4400 - 530
GeForce GT 330M - 370

Passmark CPU Mark
(higher is better)

Also if you weren't using a newer OS before, you can also see performance improvements with the same hardware.

Your current laptop is going to be about on par with the i3 model.

The i5 and i7 models will be significant upgrades.

Thanks to you two! I've already upgraded to Win 8.1 on my current laptop and it still feels quite fast enough, but those benchmarks look quite promising (especially if Intel graphics aren't as abysmal anymore as they once were…). As I said, the main reason to buy a new laptop (or a Surface) would be the problems with the screen. Now the question remains whether to wait for Broadwell and a potential CPU upgrade… ;)

gatisimo

I know some people personally, and even a few posters here on GAF have mentioned they like their Surface better than any laptop they've ever owned. For some of them that includes even the Macbook.

You can include me in that group. I own a Macbook Air, a Macbook, a PC laptop, an iPad 3, an iPad Mini... and all of those things got relegated to seldom use once I got my Surface Pro 2. I have a pretty long commute (NJ to NYC by train), so I would normally pack an iPad Mini, my Vita and sometimes my Macbook Air. All of those things pretty much stay at home now that I have the Surface. I will occasionally take the iPad Mini instead, if I'm anticipating a night out where I'd prefer to keep my bag home, but otherwise, it's the Pro 2 all the way.

I also work from home at least once a week and pretty much exclusively use the Pro 2, with the occasional trip to the desktop if it's required.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I owned an iPad, it's a freaking brick, got rid of it and got a mini. That's the ideal size for a tablet, nothing bigger. A 12" 1.8lb device should not be a "tablet", it should be an ultrabook.

It is.

I owned an iPad, it's a freaking brick, got rid of it and got a mini. That's the ideal size for a tablet, nothing bigger. A 12" 1.8lb device should not be a "tablet", it should be an ultrabook.
Sometimes a compromise works for people.
Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Totakeke

Mmm, I guess follow-up articles are coming out now that people have some time to mull it over.

But my test was not perfect. You see, in the back of an airplane there is a seat in front of you - and with that seat there, the Pro 3 somehow felt more stable and less vulnerable to falling off my lap. When sitting in an office chair, the natural position of the Pro 3 is near the end of your legs and without the seatback in front of me, I was a bit less confident in its ability to be a full-time lap device because it felt more prone to falling to the ground.

With a traditional laptop, the majority of the weight is in the keyboard, but with the Pro 3, even though it is a featherweight, the bulk of the mass is still vertical. When using my S7, I can push and tug it around by the keyboard while it is on my lap, the Pro 3, not so much, as you get a bit nervous that pulling on the Type Cover will make it fall over or off your legs and I don't want to be the one who finds out that you can't catch a Pro 3 by its Type Cover.

Inevitably, though, lapability will be a very personal decision for you. How often are you actually using your laptop on your lap? I know the answer for me is not that often - the exception tends to be at press events and other similar gatherings - but I do still need that capability, which makes the Pro 3 a bit less desirable than the Acer S7. But, if you are a more traditional laptop user who is always at a desk or at a coffee shop, the Pro 3 is fantastic. The improvements to the Type Cover are notable and Microsoft deserves some credit for their ability to pull out new tricks to make the keyboard even better while remaining incredibly thin.

http://www.neowin.net/news/surface-pro-3-a-four-hour-plane-ride-and-a-test-of-lapability

The cheapest Surface Pro 3, realistically, is under $1000, at $928, but the one I'd recommend for most users—the version with an Intel Core i5, 128 GB and 4 GB of RAM—is $1128, about par for the course in the high-end Ultrabook market, but ... yes, it's expensive. But if the Surface Pro 3 lives up to my expectations—is, in fact, a great Ultrabook and at least a decent tablet—then this in fact a good value for that price. It is reasonably priced compared to the competition.

So what's the average consumer to do? Obviously, Surface Pro 3 isn't for you. But then neither is the MacBook Pro Retina, ThinkPad X1 Carbon, Yoga 2 Pro, or other similarly priced devices. I'm currently looking at some much cheaper—in every sense of the word—devices like the Lenovo Yoga 2 (non-Pro) and Dell Venue 11 Pro. They can't match the performance or elegance of Surface Pro 3, but they do in their own way offer similar versatility. Best of all, they are much less expensive.

http://winsupersite.com/mobile-devices/surface-pro-3-lets-talk-about-price

The Surface Pro 3 dock, which is not available for preorder now but should be shipping by end of August, is sleeker than its predecessor and has more ports.

http://www.zdnet.com/youve-got-surface-pro-3-questions-ive-got-answers-7000029772/

dem

Someone just dropped their old iPad first gen off on my desk at work. Compared it with an air..

They really don't feel that different weight wise.. I really thought the first gen ipad would feel a lot more heavy. I hadn't seen one in forever.

That said i'm a mini guy. Those full sized iPads arent worth their size. That size is much more digestible when its a laptop like the surface.

Ty4on

Passmark CPU Mark
(higher is better)

I think they're more equal. The Surface Pro 3 got 2.8 in Cinebench 11.5 while the 620M got around 2.4 depending on chassis (cooling).

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
It is an overpriced one. Apple pricing without the brand appeal.

So is it about price now? Because you said "owning an ultrabook + an ipad mini or nexus" is the better choice. Can you get a comparably specced ultrabook and an ipad mini for less?

MCD

it's too big for tablet use but I like the spec. great ultrabook spec and a decent desktop replacement via displayport/hdmi/dock.

I don't see why you guys are debating. The device serves a purpose, and it fills a small niche. Maybe that niche will grow if people use it. Some don't see the purpose because it doesn't currently address their use-cases. Agree to disagree, because you aren't going to sway the other person's mind.

coldfoot

Banned
So is it about price now? Because you said "owning an ultrabook + an ipad mini or nexus" is the better choice. Can you get a comparably specced ultrabook and an ipad mini for less?
Yes you can.
i7 256GB Surface Pro 3 + Type cover: $1678

Asus Transformer i7 256GB (better than Surface pro HD5000 graphics) : $1319
ipad Mini: $249
Or Nexus 7 for $229
Or Dell Venue 8 Pro (full Win8) for $199
Or iPad mini Retina for $369 to make the pricing a whopping $9 more than the i7 256GB SPro 3 + type cover.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yes you can.
i7 256GB Surface Pro 3 + Type cover: $1679

Asus Transformer i7 256GB (better than Surface pro HD5000 graphics) : $1313
ipad Mini: $249 (or spend a bit more and get the retina version for $369)
Hmm, there doesn't appear to be any pen support/drawing functionality listed here. As an integrated solution too, I think that more than covers the premium. Not to mention that you're using a much smaller-screened tablet for comparative purposes.

If you want to make comparisons, use another integrated comparison with a similar featureset. This is just as silly as those saying "but you can just get an iPad for $500."

Yes you can.
i7 256GB Surface Pro 3 + Type cover: $1678

Asus Transformer i7 256GB (better than Surface pro HD5000 graphics) : $1319
ipad Mini: $249
Or Nexus 7 for $229
Or Dell Venue 8 Pro (full Win8) for $200-250
Or iPad mini Retina for $369 to make the pricing a whopping $9 more than the i7 256GB SPro 3 + type cover.
Why are you using i7 SP3 for this metric? Try with i5 SP3. No one "needs" i7 over i5.

Totakeke

It's not a debate for coldfoot, I thought you guys should be used to him by now. He's not looking for people to convince him that there are merits to the Surface Pro 3.

StudioTan

My argument is that this device is pointless for the %99 of the public who don't need pen support/drawing functionality.

You think everyone in this thread who said that they wanted one is only interested because they are going to draw on it? I understand you think it's too expensive and you don't have a use for it but you're being willfully obtuse if you think it has no value to other people besides those who want the pen.

A 12 inch tablet that barely weights more than an original iPad AND is a full Windows PC is a fantastic device.

It's not a debate for coldfoot, I thought you guys should be used to him by now. He's not looking for people to convince him that there are merits to the Surface Pro 3.

You're right, I should know his schtick by now.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
You think everyone in this thread who said that they wanted one is only interested because they are going to draw on it? I understand you think it's too expensive and you don't have a use for it but you're being willfully obtuse if you think it has no value to other people besides those who want the pen.

A 12 inch tablet that barely weights more than an original iPad AND is a full Windows PC is a fantastic device.

You're right, I should know his schtick by now.

Does it get tiring moving all those goal posts?

It's coldfoot

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
My argument is that this device is pointless for the %99 of the public who don't need pen support/drawing functionality.
People don't need it, but it is and can be a selling point of the device, and one of the main ones they choose to focus on. 99% of the public does not need a specialty price or buy ultrabooks. Regardless, your comparison is silly and compromises specs to fit your idea of cutting the price. And more importantly, is ignorant of the premium and convenience of it being a tablet and PC all in one.

coldfoot

Banned
Why are you using i7 SP3 for this metric? Try with i5 SP3. No one "needs" i7 over i5.
Fair enough:
i5 Surface Pro + Cover: $1429

Lenovo Yoga 2 (8GB ram, 256SSD, i5): $1099
Leaves you $329 to get a tablet with a bunch of options I've listed, everything but the iPad mini Retina is cheaper.

Surface pro 3 is like a seaplane. Yes it can land and take off in water, but having a boat + a regular plane is not only cheaper but also better performing.

dem

We get it coldfoot.. you don't want or need a surface.

But some of us like it.. and find them convenient. Why are you trying to change our minds?

I have multiple iPads, a Macbook, and a Surface. As crazy as it sounds.. i prefer to use my surface as a tablet while sitting on the couch.. over an ipad. (except if i want to candycrush..). I fold the keyboard under and stick out the kickstand. Works awesome. I don't have to hold it up in the air.

Is it going to be some market super success like an iPad? No... obviously not.
But i think this is obviously the form factor that all mobile pcs. I can't see why they wouldn't.

I'm convinced Apple will eventually unveil some sort of touchscreen laptop that runs ios apps... and will be praised to the hills for it. I can't wait.

Figured as much when he came back and parroted the exact same argument with new people as the one he was using with me a couple of days ago.

solarus

Someone just dropped their old iPad first gen off on my desk at work. Compared it with an air..

They really don't feel that different weight wise.. I really thought the first gen ipad would feel a lot more heavy. I hadn't seen one in forever.

That said i'm a mini guy. Those full sized iPads arent worth their size. That size is much more digestible when its a laptop like the surface.
I'm sorry but wut.
The original ipad feels like a brick compared to the ipad air, heck the ipad air feels noticeably better than the ipad 2. The significant reduction of those bezels with the air got me to switch from the mini back the larger ipad.

dem

I'm sorry but wut.
The original ipad feels like a brick compared to the ipad air, heck the ipad air feels noticeably better than the ipad 2. The significant reduction of those bezels with the air got me to switch from the mini back the larger ipad.

The first gen feels like crap in my hands.. but the weight.. meh.
Obviously the air is lighter.. but i just thought it would be more noticeable. It's probably because I use an iPad mini 90% of the time i use an iPad.

Maybe I'm just strong and manly as fuck

solarus

I wonder if Microsoft will give up on the surface pro if this isn't a success. I'd love for them to do a broadwell based surface pro in the future and I hope that it happens.

dem

Apparently the type cover still work across generations

Its just not pretty

screen_shot_2014-05-22_at_8.33.29_am_story.jpg

screen_shot_2014-05-22_at_8.35.07_am_story.jpg

Top Bottom