• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Why are you using i7 SP3 for this metric? Try with i5 SP3. No one "needs" i7 over i5.

but then that wouldnt fit his agenda he's been pushing the entire thread. See the post right below yours, its quote "useless for 99% of people" except that its not.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Yes you can.
i7 256GB Surface Pro 3 + Type cover: $1678

Asus Transformer i7 256GB (better than Surface pro HD5000 graphics) : $1319
ipad Mini: $249
Or Nexus 7 for $229
Or Dell Venue 8 Pro (full Win8) for $199
Or iPad mini Retina for $369 to make the pricing a whopping $9 more than the i7 256GB SPro 3 + type cover.

just looking at that asus ultrabook:

lower res
heavier
no ac wifi
no rear facing camera
no digitizer (?)

mind you, it still looks like a great laptop though.

Jeff-DSA

I really want a Pro 3, but I really want to not want one, if that makes any sense. I'll have to go check one out. It sounds like such a cool device, and I'm using my laptop less and less these days (mainly for StarCraft 2, League of Legends, and Steam stuff on the go) as my desktop handles my gaming needs along with my consoles.

I have a Nexus 10, which has been fantastic, but I'm ready for something that will allow me a bit more utility. I dunno, I'll have to go play with one for a bit.

Animator

I am a professional user. I work in movies, do concepts, animation, film editing, modeling and sculpting. I will NEVER go back to a laptop after using a Surface. It is simply that much more convenient than a mac book pro (which I owned). An Ipad is a joke for anyone wanting productivity. I can run all my pro software on Surface. It is a device that fits in my camera bag and is with me at all times. The only thing I need to carry with me is a mouse as opposed to having to carry my mac book pro + AC + wacom tablet + mouse. Which weighted a ton and is nowhere near as intuitive as working with a surface.

Not writing this as a surface commercial but if someone is having a hard time figuring out why this device is attractive for professionals and making suggestions like "you can carry a laptop and a ipad at the same time" you don't know what you are talking about. If all you want is to watch netflix and browse gaf by all means pick up an ipad but there is simply no alternative to Surface for professional use in this price point.

Amzin

I've been kind of itching for a gaming laptop, but couldn't justify the very limit amount of times I'd use it (having a real gaming PC). This, on the other hand, would be delicious. My old Win 8 Lenovo tablet is still honestly very useful even with terrible driver support and one of the worst pieces of hardware Lenovo has probably ever thrown at the market. The Pro 1 made it look like a joke, I could do so much with a Pro 3.

All depends on what job my wife gets :p

Has there been any new information on how well this device works for art and what not?
I really liked the feel of the Surface Pro 2 compared to the first one in terms of drawing, but I feel like a 12' screen would be much more useful for other stuff.
(Though it still seems very large for drawing. lol)

Has there been any new information on how well this device works for art and what not?
I really liked the feel of the Surface Pro 2 compared to the first one in terms of drawing, but I feel like a 12' screen would be much more useful for other stuff.
(Though it still seems very large for drawing. lol)
Most artists/designers wanted a bigger screen...

I am a professional user. I work in movies, do concepts, animation, film editing, modeling and sculpting. I will NEVER go back to a laptop after using a Surface. It is simply that much more convenient than a mac book pro (which I owned). An Ipad is a joke for anyone wanting productivity. I can run all my pro software on Surface. It is a device that fits in my camera bag and is with me at all times. The only thing I need to carry with me is a mouse as opposed to having to carry my mac book pro + AC + wacom tablet + mouse. Which weighted a ton and is nowhere near as intuitive as working with a surface.

Not writing this as a surface commercial but if someone is having a hard time figuring out why this device is attractive for professionals and making suggestions like "you can carry a laptop and a ipad at the same time" you don't know what you are talking about. If all you want is to watch netflix and browse gaf by all means pick up an ipad but there is simply no alternative to Surface for professional use in this price point.

It's one of those things that those who don't want to get never will. If you are dead set on making an argument against SP3 (or SP2), you can find your way to do it like Coldfoot is, but once you know WHY its so compelling, all that so called reasoning just becomes noise.

I on the other hand is muy loco, and would love to see a 15" version next. I got too use to drawing on 13.3" Tablet PC and it's hard for me to go smaller again. I love the aspect ratio though, and maybe it would make up for having smaller drawing area. 16:9 always felt cramped, even at 13.3".

Either way, can't wait to hit my MS store on 6th and give the SP3 a go. Maybe they will even let me install Manga Studio 5 and do a video. At the very least, I will be taking Fresh Paint for a ride on it and recoding the proceedings.

Most artists/designers wanted a bigger screen...
I travel quite a bit, so a smaller screen is fine with me. (Currently a Note 8.0)
It just feels like I could really take advantage of this thing's size for programming and what not. With an actual keyboard, of course.

So bummed that I missed out on the GRADUATION promo code. I would have bought the 256 GB i5 version in a heart beat. :( Since my wife is also a teacher the edu discount would have brought the price down to a point where my wife would grudgingly approve since the discounts were stackable.

Blackhead

Redarse

that review video is cute

also
(And my favorite feature is still there: a USB jack right on the power brick. So great for charging your phone.)

IXrdDCg.jpg

Apath

So bummed that I missed out on the GRADUATION promo code. I would have bought the 256 GB i5 version in a heart beat. :( Since my wife is also a teacher the edu discount would have brought the price down to a point where my wife would grudgingly approve since the discounts were stackable.
Try a physical microsoft store. GRADUATION is valid and stacks.

Long shot but are there any crestron programmers reading this thread that have attempted to do their work with a pro 2?

Edit: Visiontools impressions would also be good. Feel free to comment if you work with AMX as well.

Quoting myself, I understand its a niche area but with some luck someone here might work in the same field.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I am so hopeful for the increased accuracy

Again, i love wacom (use intuos and love it) but damn the digitizer in my SP2 was downright awful.

Edge sensitivity is one of the actual benefits the SP gets from losing Wacom. Had a thinkpad x220t in the past and the innacuracy at the edges of the screen when writing was pain in the ass at times.

Schlep

Just got my Pro 2 for Christmas, so I think I'll hold back for the Broadwell version. Looks hot as hell, though. The new kickstand design alone would be worth it. Can't count how many times I'm in meetings and would love that slight angle so I can scribble notes easier.

Oh, and Animator is 100% on point. If all you're looking for is something personal to sit on the couch with, there are probably better alternatives out there than the Surface line. If you do any kind of work, be it corporate or in school, the Surface Pro blows away anything else out there.

Zhengi

So I'm caving in and preordering. Going with the i5/8mb ram version and cyan cover. Looks like I qualify for the 10% for students. Also, going to buy it through my Discover Card website for an extra 5% cash back. Is there any other ways to bring the price down?

Edit: Anyone know if Office 365 University if worth it?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
http://blog.surface.com/2014/05/get-know-surface-pro-3-pen/

I'm not super well versed in the pen technology stuff, but from what I understand having the wintab drivers is kind of a big deal?

This is fantastic news! I was kinda hoping that since they knew there were limitations with the N-Trig drivers in certain programs that they would come up with their own or help with new drivers but you never know with Microsoft.

N-Trig did release WinTab drivers recently but apparently it only worked in Photoshop.

Apath

Awesome. Have you tried this personally or read about this online? If this is legit I'll take a trip to the MS store on Saturday.
I've read about it working and it almost worked for me, so I'd try calling first. The employee told me there was an issue with doing it for pre-orders because, for some reason, with pre-orders he'd have to give me $100 for it to work.

I'm glad that MS is going to help out N-Trig with their biggest weakness: software. With MS perhaps writing the WinTab driver, N-Trig can become a good replacement for Wacom in art community.

And I also like the idea of MS tackling this problem two prong: Get a functional WinTab driver in the short term, then get software developers to support MS Tablet API in their apps natively in the long term. That last bit is much more crucial since this will mean better multi-touch UI interface and palm rejection in art apps. WinTab just lags behind in that respect. See latest version of Manga Studio 5/ Clip Studio Paint for the BEST multi-touch and palm rejection usage.

BTW, I never thought MS would embrace N-Trig for digitizer pen tech since their tech works pretty much the same as Perceptive Pixel's pen does. WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO THOSE GUYS? It's been over 2 years since we've heard of PP. MS had them for like 3 years now. SP3 should be using PP's pen by now. But N-Trig is being used instead. Hmmmm.....

Bsigg12

So I'm trying to decide between this and an ultrabook for a mix of work and school. The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is I'm taking computer science classes and can't decide if I want a keyboard like a laptop or if the pro keyboard attachment would be enough. For work I just need to be able to access PowerPoint/excel and PDF files.

Any thoughts would be great.

Animator

The guy who runs the Surface Pro Artist site also got a review copy. Look forward to reading his impressions soon.

http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/2014/5/22/now-it-gets-real

That's great. I can't wait for his review.

I am amazed how shitty so many of the first look videos from the tech sites were. I saw a couple say that "unlike the older models this one comes with a pen!" and one video preview kept calling the surface pro 3 pen wacom. Holy shit if you are doing a living reviewing tech at least do the bare minimum of research before you rush to record your video.

SegaShack

So I'm trying to decide between this and an ultrabook for a mix of work and school. The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is I'm taking computer science classes and can't decide if I want a keyboard like a laptop or if the pro keyboard attachment would be enough. For work I just need to be able to access PowerPoint/excel and PDF files.

Any thoughts would be great.

If you are in Comp Sci a touch keyboard isn't what you should be looking for. I am a Comp Sci student (1 year till I graduate). When you type programs one slight mistake in a variable name, function call, or anything can drive you crazy. I once spent 4 hours trying to figure out what was wrong in a HTML Javascript poker game I had to make (with images. detailed scoring statistics and all).

I even went as far as rewriting many key functions in a different way. When I finally realized what was causing it I felt so stupid. There was a letter s at the end of a variable I was referencing that shouldn't be there. Touch typing makes for a a less tactile experience than using buttons that are pushed in like a normal keyboard.

The surface keyboard is still touch based and isn't mechanical. Personally I can not take any risks when writing programs of having an occasional mistype here or there. It is not worth it.

Furthermore, in my experience once you understand the core concept of what you are doing, creating the program is the easy part. The debugging and stupid errors are what I end up wasting most my time on, and they happen a lot.

PS: I think this device looks awesome too and would buy if I had the money or need for it, but I just think it is not good for coding.

edit: I'm an idiot, there are 2 different keyboards, one does use mechanical buttons and one is touch based, my bad.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Wow I'm surprised to see them dropping Wacom. Is N-Trig what iPad uses?

It seems like it worked out though because many are pretty delighted with N-Trig.

Bsigg12

If you are in Comp Sci a touch keyboard isn't what you should be looking for. I am a Comp Sci student (1 year till I graduate). When you type programs one slight mistake in a variable name, function call, or anything can drive you crazy. I once spent 4 hours trying to figure out what was wrong in a HTML Javascript poker game I had to make (with images. detailed scoring statistics and all).

I even went as far as rewriting many key functions in a different way. When I finally realized what was causing it I felt so stupid. There was a letter s at the end of a variable I was referencing that shouldn't be there. Touch typing makes for a a less tactile experience than using buttons that are pushed in like a normal keyboard.

The surface keyboard is still touch based and isn't mechanical. Personally I can not take any risks when writing programs of having an occasional mistype here or there. It is not worth it.

Furthermore, in my experience once you understand the core concept of what you are doing, creating the program is the easy part. The debugging and stupid errors are what I end up wasting most my time on, and they happen a lot.

PS: I think this device looks awesome too and would buy if I had the money or need for it, but I just think it is not good for coding.

Isn't the Type Cover Pro that they made for the SP3 mechanical and backlit? I could be wrong but I thought that's what I read. I definitely don't want a touch cover for the reason you stated as I've played around with one and it wasn't that great when trying to really get moving.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

No, it's mechanical.

EDIT: From the MS website on the Type Cover for the SP2 "Classic is now colorful. Type Cover 2, the next generation mechanical keyboard for Surface, now comes in four colors. The keys are backlit so you can work and play both night and day. Enjoy the same super-thin, lightweight design of the original Type Cover."

SegaShack

Isn't the Type Cover Pro that they made for the SP3 mechanical and backlit? I could be wrong but I thought that's what I read. I definitely don't want a touch cover for the reason you stated as I've played around with one and it wasn't that great when trying to really get moving.

Looked it up. Man I am an idiot, it turns out there is a "Touch Cover" and "Type Cover". The only one I used in a store had the touch cover and I thought that was the one and only official keyboard.

Yeah disregard my whole post now hahahah, Just get the type cover and none of that matters, lol.

StudioTan

Looked it up. Man I am an idiot, it turns out there is a "Touch Cover" and "Type Cover". The only one I used in a store had the touch cover and I thought that was the one and only official keyboard.

Yeah disregard my whole post now hahahah, Just get the type cover and none of that matters, lol.

That brings up a good point though, did they even announce a touch cover for the SP3? I don't think they did.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Pretty much the only thing holding me back off jumping into this new one is the Type Cover bugs.

It's documented on the MS forums, but has anyone else here experienced this? On the SP1 using a Type Cover 2 the ctrl/alt/shift keys sometimes get 'stuck' requiring a second press to 'unstick' the key. I've checked all sticky keys optionsand they're all off, and it doesn't happen with my other keyboard so I'm assuming it's a problem unique to the Type Covers and it doesn't seem to have been fixed.

Makes my work in Photoshop/Illustrator quite frustrating, as those modifiers can wreak havoc on a document if I use the wrong tool. Wondering if it's fixed in the new type cover, but it's such a weird and specific problem I wonder if anyone would even test for it!

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Wow I'm surprised to see them dropping Wacom. Is N-Trig what iPad uses?

Ipad doesn't support a digitizer stylus. Wacom is what's being used in Samsung's products and the previous surface pros.

Having used both before, (The Wacom on the Samsung Ativ, and the NTrig on the Sony Tap 11), the key difference people are going to notice is that the N-Trig pen is heavier due to the battery (think maybe a fountain pen) and the wacom pen is lighter (like a pencil). Pressure sensitivity wise, there is some difference in terms of calibration so the same pressure on one pen may not lead to the same effect on the other, but they appear to be just about as sensitive as each other, despite the Wacom having 1024 levels of pressure vs the 256 on the N-Trig. I will say that the Wacom is as good or better than the N-Trig in most areas except for one: The N-Trig maintains its calibration and accuracy even close to the edges of the screen. The wacom tip becoming inaccurate near screen edges is a constant source of frustration for me, even though I like its other aspects.

Bsigg12

Haha well since you're doing what I'm going yo be getting into, I'm thinking the i5 with the 8GB of RAM would be the best way to go. Do you think the i7 would have any significant benefits for compiling code or would the i5 handle it fine? I've only ever written and compiled on my desktop which has a AMD FX 8350 in it so I'm trying to see how other things compare.

Animator

I would recommend the i5 256gb one. I7 is not worth the premium and the i5 handled everything I threw at it like a champ on the SP2 (same processor in SP3).

SegaShack

Haha well since you're doing what I'm going yo be getting into, I'm thinking the i5 with the 8GB of RAM would be the best way to go. Do you think the i7 would have any significant benefits for compiling code or would the i5 handle it fine? I've only ever written and compiled on my desktop which has a AMD FX 8350 in it so I'm trying to see how other things compare.

In all honesty there will probably be nothing you code in college that should even come close to using up any modern processor or lots of RAM. I mean you can always have the occasional infinite loop though. Even my more complex programs that I have ran a time comparison on did all their tasks in usually a few seconds at most, most of the time it was in the mile seconds. All of my stuff could run on an old XP machine easily.

The development consoles (programs that you develop in) are just advanced text editors with compilers built in, so nothing system intensive. The question about specs should relate to other things like video or gaming, or maybe video editing. Almost any computer can run Office and Notepad++ (or other development consoles), which is all you need.

Even if you are programming a game, unless you are rendering some advanced 3D models and use some complex physics engine it wouldn't matter.

I am not sure what your school is like though and maybe things will get that crazy, but personally for me all my stuff can run on very old computers.

Chichikov

I don't think we have specific models yet, so it's hard to get exact numbers, but generally speaking, Haswell i5 and i7 are very close to identical on single threaded applications with the i7 doing 30-40% better on multithreaded benchmarks since it has hyper-threading (but as in everything multithreaded, your real world millage can and will vary wildly).
Also, I think there's a good chance that I/O is going to be your build bottleneck, not the CPU (though it's obviously depend on your project, language of choice and compiler), but in any case, the i5 is a capable CPU, you can do serious coding work just fine on it.

I'll wait until we have exact model information to make final judgment, but right now, as others have said, I think the 8GB i5 is the sweet spot and a pretty good value (would've been phenomenal value if the keyboard was included).

I don't think we have specific models yet, so it's hard to get exact numbers, but generally speaking, Haswell i5 and i7 are very close to identical on single threaded applications with the i7 doing 30-40% better on multithreaded benchmarks since it has hyper-threading (but as in everything multithreaded, your real world millage can and will vary wildly).
Also, I think there's a good chance that I/O is going to be your build bottleneck, not the CPU (though it's obviously depend on your project, language of choice and compiler), but in any case, the i5 is a capable CPU, you can do serious coding work just fine on it.

I'll wait until we have exact model information to make final judgment, but right now, as others have said, I think the 8GB i5 is the sweet spot and a pretty good value (would've been phenomenal value if the keyboard was included).

Hyperthreading is on both i5 and i7. It's i3 that doesn't support it.

i5 and i7 only differ in L3 cache (3MB vs 4MB) and build in GPU version.

Top Bottom