• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

Animator

Perspective sketching huh...

shit, if you need to sketch non-organics for any reason, your best bet is learning sketchup and exporting a 2D image of scale shapes of the space you want to create.

Then sketch over it.

Because you don't ever need perspective when sketching organics right?

I wouldn't be shocked if we don't see a new Power Cover, though. I'm fuzzy on the exact timeline, but the first Power Cover seems to have been conceived before the launch of the Surface 2, and was the product of a pre-Haswell world.

Well I still would want one since I got spoiled by my old Asus UL30Vt with it's 8 hours battery life for web browsing.

I went by Best Buy to try out the pro 2 and ask about their demo units. The guy tells me they won't have demos until it releases and refused to find a pen so I could test out the calibration on the current models. And that is why they're losing business - someone looking at a $1k+ machine and they're too lazy to even help

Perspective sketching huh...

shit, if you need to sketch non-organics for any reason, your best bet is learning sketchup and exporting a 2D image of scale shapes of the space you want to create.

Then sketch over it.

Oh really? So say to too draw cars, best bet is to model rough shape of the car and then sketch over screen cap of that? How long do you think it will take to "sketchup" something like this so you can sketch over that? Your clock is ticking, 'cause actual drawings took less than 30 minutes each. I'll give you 15 minutes to come up with useful perspective underlays for these.

GTPracer_zps19e923a4.jpg~original

No? Need more time? Modeling an perspective underlay defeats the very purpose of why designers sketch in the first place: to save time.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I just jumped in on a Surface Pro 1 for relatively cheap. Anything that I MUST get with/for one of these things?

i think the power cover would be a good pickup for the sp1 if its compatable, the biggest issue with the sp1 was battery life.

Oh really? So say to too draw cars, best bet is to model rough shape of the car and then sketch over screen cap of that? How long do you think it will take to "sketchup" something like this so you can sketch over that? Your clock is ticking, 'cause actual drawings took less than 30 minutes each. I'll give you 15 minutes to come up with useful perspective underlays for these.

GTPracer_zps19e923a4.jpg~original

No? Need more time? Modeling an perspective underlay defeats the very purpose of why designers sketch in the first place: to save time.
Woah, that's super rad!

nice one shog.

I'm kinda disappointed in the battery of the surface 1 (or rather, the processor power consumption). I wish I had the extra money to go for the 8gb ram surface 2, but I didn't.

nice one shog.

I'm kinda disappointed in the battery of the surface 1 (or rather, the processor power consumption). I wish I had the extra money to go for the 8gb ram surface 2, but I didn't.

My Surface RT has borderline horrible performance in IE. I had to use it for work yesterday because I was stranded away from my work laptop. Regular freezes, slow performance, and some weird behavior (why did Google Docs not want to recognize half the keys I was pressing?).

It's great for a lot of things, but I guess the above is not one of them.

My Surface RT has borderline horrible performance in IE. I had to use it for work yesterday because I was stranded away from my work laptop. Regular freezes, slow performance, and some weird behavior (why did Google Docs not want to recognize half the keys I was pressing?).

It's great for a lot of things, but I guess the above is not one of them.

well, mine is the pro, should've mentioned that.

Enron

Banned
i resisted the power cover. Internet tells me the SP1 has like 5-6 hours of battery life. that's good enough for me. got the type cover instead

Tablo

i resisted the power cover. Internet tells me the SP1 has like 5-6 hours of battery life. that's good enough for me. got the type cover instead

Erm, I have one and I get more around 4 hours...Then again I've used it super heavily, it's been banged around and left in the sun. So who knows what shape the battery is in, but I would really recommend that power cover :X
But if you find you get enough juice without it that's fine, I still have my type cover 1.

Zaptruder

Banned
Because you don't ever need perspective when sketching organics right?

Well, organics don't need as rigid a perspective as architectural does. If you screw it up a little, it won't look *off* right away. For organic blocking in sketchup, you might simply block in the position and scale of the person via a stand in 2D person... or the size and rough shape of the creature.

That would take me 2 minutes to block up and export, including the time to open up the program and export the .jpg

I'm not talking about a complicated underlay; literally extruded cubes with maybe a simple profile cut into it. Given the similarity of the cars you've drawn, you could literally use the same underlay for all of them.

*edit* here's what I'm talking about.

SUHGN4b.jpg

It's especially a big time saver for architecturals. Indeed, I combine a sketchy overlay style with 3D base building renders for my own design work to great effect.

Well, organics don't need as rigid a perspective as architectural does. If you screw it up a little, it won't look *off* right away. For organic blocking in sketchup, you might simply block in the position and scale of the person via a stand in 2D person... or the size and rough shape of the creature.

That would take me 2 minutes to block up and export, including the time to open up the program and export the .jpg

I'm not talking about a complicated underlay; literally extruded cubes with maybe a simple profile cut into it. Given the similarity of the cars you've drawn, you could literally use the same underlay for all of them.

*edit* here's what I'm talking about.

SUHGN4b.jpg

It's especially a big time saver for architecturals. Indeed, I combine a sketchy overlay style with 3D base building renders for my own design work to great effect.

That underlay is hardly useful is it? Might as well skip that step and lay out the simple grid for it that takes what, 10 seconds? Just one should learn perspective at that point.

BTW, of my students that cheated this way in my car drawing class, none can still draw cars in perspective. I wonder why? Hmmmm......

Two Words

This is more of a Windows 8.1 question instead of a Surface question. I don't ever really use desktop icons, so using the Start Screen as my desktop would be very useful, BUT.....I can't find any way to lock the taskbar while on the Start Screen. I hate this. I cannot stand not having a locked taskbar. Is there any way to change this? This is what I ultimately want.

I want my Start Screen to be where the desktop screen currently is and have the same precedent as the desktop screen. That means when I minimize Chrome, I want to see the Start Screen, not my desktop. This seems like the best solution for Windows 8 since I never use desktop icons and the Start Screen is a lot more useful and better looking than a bunch of messy icons.

This is more of a Windows 8.1 question instead of a Surface question. I don't ever really use desktop icons, so using the Start Screen as my desktop would be very useful, BUT.....I can't find any way to lock the taskbar while on the Start Screen. I hate this. I cannot stand not having a locked taskbar. Is there any way to change this? This is what I ultimately want.

I want my Start Screen to be where the desktop screen currently is and have the same precedent as the desktop screen. That means when I minimize Chrome, I want to see the Start Screen, not my desktop. This seems like the best solution for Windows 8 since I never use desktop icons and the Start Screen is a lot more useful and better looking than a bunch of messy icons.

You cannot lock the taskbar to the start screen to my knowledge, but to use the Start Screen like you would use desktop icons as you say, just hit start instead of minimizing windows and you'll pull it up.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

Top looks like a Dodge, second is a beamer, third is a Pontiac... By hood shape alone, obviously neither of the others but BMW could or would have made anything look so cool! Nice designs! A little bit of Veyron in there, too!

I will take the second one, tyvm.

Two Words

You cannot lock the taskbar to the start screen to my knowledge, but to use the Start Screen like you would use desktop icons as you say, just hit start instead of minimizing windows and you'll pull it up.
The problem is that the desktop has a priority I want the Start Screen to have. It mainly becomes an issue if I'm using Start Apps and desktop app. If I'm in a Start app, hitting the Windows key just takes me between the app and the Start Screen. I have to window+tab to get out, which is a pointless extra step. I wish all apps were treated the same and that the Start Screen replaced the desktop. It's seems a lot more sensible since my desktop is nothing more than a pretty picture .

Zaptruder

Banned
That underlay is hardly useful is it? Might as well skip that step and lay out the simple grid for it that takes what, 10 seconds? Just one should learn perspective at that point.

BTW, of my students that cheated this way in my car drawing class, none can still draw cars in perspective. I wonder why? Hmmmm......
Depends on the way you think I suppose. This method is useful for relatively correct dimensions and changing angles until you're happy with the view. Obviously if you can internalise the skill that's best. But the use of guides is as much a cheat as this technique. Just less accurate.

Moreover you do develop the sense of proportion and perspective when working in 3d as well, leading to eventual internalisation of the skills.

Depends on the way you think I suppose. This method is useful for relatively correct dimensions and changing angles until you're happy with the view. Obviously if you can internalise the skill that's best. But the use of guides is as much a cheat as this technique. Just less accurate.

Moreover you do develop the sense of proportion and perspective when working in 3d as well, leading to eventual internalisation of the skills.

I wish this was true, but in my 8+ years of teaching at college level, I have yet to observe this to my satisfaction. IMO, such reliance of 3D slows down your internalization of perspective quite a bit.

Top looks like a Dodge, second is a beamer, third is a Pontiac... By hood shape alone, obviously neither of the others but BMW could or would have made anything look so cool! Nice designs! A little bit of Veyron in there, too!

I will take the second one, tyvm.

Oh jebus, first one does look like Dodge, doesn't it? As for third, let's just call that one a BMW as well. Pontiac no longer builds excitement... RIP

Maybe. It's a useful technique for my purposes anyhow.

I think its more useful for illustration situations where high accuracy is paramount then sketching/drawing for design situations.

Tablo

ok surfacegaf, how the shit does one adjust the horrible-out-of-the-box color on this thing?

I hear the Xrite calibration tools are good, I need to see if I can pick one up, haven't done too much research but I know I want to calibrate all my displays to a reasonable degree lol

Zaptruder

Banned
Oh jebus, first one does look like Dodge, doesn't it? As for third, let's just call that one a BMW as well. Pontiac no longer builds excitement... RIP

I think its more useful for illustration situations where high accuracy is paramount then sketching/drawing for design situations.

Accuracy is important in an architectural design situation. Sizes absolutely determine what can fit in a space and can't.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Anyone have any thoughts on 4 gb ram vs 8? I have a sp3 with 4 gb ram preordered now, but wondering if 8 would give me a noticeable improvement going forward.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Does the surface 3 have a network card that goes faster than 11Mb because fuck my surface one so much

TxdoHawk

Anyone have any thoughts on 4 gb ram vs 8? I have a sp3 with 4 gb ram preordered now, but wondering if 8 would give me a noticeable improvement going forward.

It depends on what you'll be doing. Some applications and workloads benefit heavily from extra RAM. What do you picture yourself doing with your Surface?

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Dammit, MS got me.

Switched my order from the i5 to the i7 today to get in on the HD 5000 goodness. Figure it'll give me a chance to see reviews and opinions roll in once people get their i5 machines as well.

Top Bottom