• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

Guys how bad is Surface pro 1 ?

There's a deal with SP1 i5/128GB for 400 euro and i wonder if it wouldn't be enough for me if i got battery cover.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Me and a friend are going to the MS Store over lunch to check it out, and I'll report back.

He is a huge MS fanboy, and loves giving me shit for all my Apple idolizing. He went from a Surface to a Surface Pro to a Surface Pro 2; but ended up returning the SP2 for a Razer Blade after 3 exchanges and more than 2 weeks of being without the device while MS rand diagnostics on why all his systems were BSODIng four or five times a day.

Enron

Banned
Guys how bad is Surface pro 1 ?

There's a deal with SP1 i5/128GB for 400 euro and i wonder if it wouldn't be enough for me if i got battery cover.

I just picked up a SP1 last week for 470 usd, and pretty happy with it so far. Seems to last about 4.5 hours or so.

Can't wait to see one of these things in person and play. I haven't seen this level of hype about the previous Pro's internally at my company before.

Schlep

Are there demo units today at Best Buys or is it MS stores only? Closest store is 27 miles away in the depths of the cesspool known as Arlington, TX.

With microsoft advertising the pro 2 in the nba finals, you gotta wonder why the surfaces haven't taken off...

I personally want a pro 3, but not including the type cover is criminal to me, not to mention the rookie mistake with the position of the windows button. Until then, it's air+pad combo for me. Do keep trying, Panos and team, you'll eventually get there. The prospect of using the surface as a dedicated onenote + word + photoshop device really makes me drool but I can wait.

luxarific

Nork unification denier

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Me and a friend are going to the MS Store over lunch to check it out, and I'll report back.

He is a huge MS fanboy, and loves giving me shit for all my Apple idolizing. He went from a Surface to a Surface Pro to a Surface Pro 2; but ended up returning the SP2 for a Razer Blade after 3 exchanges and more than 2 weeks of being without the device while MS rand diagnostics on why all his systems were BSODIng four or five times a day.

Spent a solid 30 minutes with it at the store today with my friend.

First things first... It's *finally* thin enough. The Surface Pro has always been laughably thick... and the keyboard cover, and it was thicker than a modern laptop. The new Pro 3 was as thin as it needs to be... I do wish the keyboard cover was thinner, too; but I'm "happy enough." It was just ever so marginally thicker than the Surface 2, if you've ever held one of those. Maybe a mm.

The keyboard wasn't fantastic; but totally serviceable. Along with the new stand, it was perfectly usable as a laptop; though I still don't know how someone could argue it's "as good," as a standard laptop regarding "lapability." It's close; but there are a few scenerios where it's behind; for example; just the process of opening the stand and getting it just right is more effort than lifting a screen.

The display was beautiful... but it wasn't CRAZY sharp like the Razer Blade or my MBP. Colors and whatnot were pretty good, contrast good, angles good. It was a very, very good display; but not amazing.

Speed was plenty fast for single apps. Opening all of Office and a browser slowed it down a bit. Having two instances of TheVerge.com side by side was clearly affecting performance. No games to try, unfortunately. Adjusting window sizes wasn't quite as smooth as on my desktop or my laptop. I feel like Adobe software could definitely struggle with bigger files. But for Word/Excel/Facebook/Internet/Email, it was zippy as you would need.

The pen was very accurate; way less lag than before. But it's still hard to write "small," if you know what I mean.

Neither my friend or I could trigger the button to accidentally bring us to the desktop when drawing. I think the issue is overblown. I drew for 3 or 4 minutes with my palm on it with no issue.

Clicking the button only opened One Note like 50% of the time, lol. Hopefully a driver issue.

The little $4 thing that holds the pen is stupid.

Build quality was phenomenal. Right up there with the other Surface devices. Very sturdy.

Anyhoo, my final thoughts align with my earlier assumptions:

It's a very good synergy product. It's a good tablet and it's a good laptop.

It excels more as a laptop as a tablet - it's not nearly as "portable" as my iPad Air or the mini.

I don't know if it's the perfect device for me; I'm quite happy with my rMBP and iPad Air - I use them for two different things.

But MS has absolutely gotten 99% toward their vision, IMO. And for that, I'm impressed. Is it the tablet that can replace your laptop? Eh, I'm not certain I'd sell it like that. Instead, while it may sound the same on the outset... I feel this should be the laptop you should buy if looking to buy a new Windows laptop.

Speed was plenty fast for single apps. Opening all of Office and a browser slowed it down a bit. Having two instances of TheVerge.com side by side was clearly affecting performance. No games to try, unfortunately. Adjusting window sizes wasn't quite as smooth as on my desktop or my laptop. I feel like Adobe software could definitely struggle with bigger files. But for Word/Excel/Facebook/Internet/Email, it was zippy as you would need.

There must be something iffy going on if two verge websites and opening the basic office apps slowed it down. I'd assume it's the i5 out on the sales floor?

Animator

Got some hands on with it an hour ago. Amazing amazing device. Cannot believe how thin and light it was. I haven't noticed any slowdowns. Opened up every app I can find and it was still snappy.

The pen is way more accurate and less laggy than the wacom digitizer in sp1/2. I am going to go back tomorrow and properly test it with sketchbook pro if I can get them to install a trial.

I fondled one today. It is very very nice. SP2 seems so heavy and thick now. But we knew that and that's not why I went.

Since the demo unit has the image install that won't let you save anything, I couldn't install desktop apps on it. So I did a quick video of SP2 and SP3 side by side using Fresh Paint. Will upload that later. But I can tell you from using it that the numbers from the AMA seems legit. It takes noticeably more force to get to maximum pressure level than Wacom.

Initial Activation Force and Maximum Activation Force:

N-Trig Duo Sense 2 = IAF - 10 grams, MAF - 40 grams (source, MS SP3 AMA)
Wacom Penabled/Feel It - IAF - 3 grams (source Wacom), MAF 15~20 grams (my guess)

Other than that, the two devices gave me nearly identical results with same brushes. So once you adjust to the additional force required to get the pen doing its thing, your work will just as good. You just have to slow down with your sketching to do your added required pressure while drawing with the pen.

One thing that might be making it feel less fluid while drawing also might be the rubber pen tip. I prefer to glide around the screen surface with plastic nib. The rubber tip is adding friction that might be adding the feeling of needing additional force.

. The pen is way more accurate and less laggy than the wacom digitizer in sp1/2.

You are high. There is no lag on both.

Dunno about that, tested them both side by side today. SP3 feels way nicer.

I also did side by side. If anything, you notice the slight cursor lag on the SP3. No lag difference otherwise.

Also, using apps, I can draw way faster with SP2 than SP3 due to less required force for pressure and less friction with the plastic nib vs rubber nib.

Laconic

Banned
I also did side by side. If anything, you notice the slight cursor lag on the SP3. No lag difference otherwise.

Also, using apps, I can draw way faster with SP2 than SP3 due to less required force for pressure and less friction with the plastic nib vs rubber nib.

So then. For people with a delicate stroke, the SP2 is the clear winner?

I saw where intel has a fanless test tablet with their new broadwell chip. Would it be likely for the surface line to get one that runs without needing fans?

I saw where intel has a fanless test tablet with their new broadwell chip. Would it be likely for the surface line to get one that runs without needing fans?

Surface Pro 4 would be running Broadwell for sure, and depending on clockspeed, you can do a fanless version. But I personally suspect that such version will be slower than the SP3.

Surface Pro 4 would be running Broadwell for sure, and depending on clockspeed, you can do a fanless version. But I personally suspect that such version will be slower than the SP3.

Would be nice to have less moving parts. Didn't think about the performance cost. Maybe a bit too soon for pushing a lot of power minus cooling

Animator

Tried out Maya and Sketchbook pro on the Sp3 today (4gb version). Both ran amazingly well. Pressure sensitivity works in sketchbook pro without having to install wintab drivers and Maya ran extremely well and fast.

I will call bullshit on the "there was slowdown with two browsers open" claims in this thread because I just pushed the machine much harder than %99 of the users ever will and it was still snappy and fast. I have noticed zero slowdowns.

The i5 version is more than enough for anyone. The premium you pay for %10 performance increase on top of that with the i7 is not worth it imo.

Tried out Maya and Sketchbook pro on the Sp3 today (4gb version). Both ran amazingly well. Pressure sensitivity works in sketchbook pro without having to install wintab drivers and Maya ran extremely well and fast.

I will call bullshit on the "there was slowdown with two browsers open" claims in this thread because I just pushed the machine much harder than %99 of the users ever will and it was still snappy and fast. I have noticed zero slowdowns.

Yeeeeeeah, that sounds like an issue with the Surface RT. Maybe his model was a lemon.

Gianny

Guys, if I purchase a full version of Microsoft Office last year and install on laptop. Can I also use it on Surface Pro 3, all documents get saved to One Drive right?

Apparently the fatwallet cashback @ 8% is only good until 6/16 then it reverts back to 4%. The 10% student discount and 8% cashback from Fatwallet is as good as it will get for a while. I had a chance to check out the Pro 3 this morning at the MS store. It definitely lives up to the hype. It's a great peace of hardware. I plan on placing my order tomorrow for the 256 GB i5 model.

Schlep

The i5 version is more than enough for anyone. The premium you pay for %10 performance increase on top of that with the i7 is not worth it imo.
That's my feeling as well after owning the Surface Pro 2 with the same specs. The most taxing thing I do on that system is export Captivate videos in mp4, and that moves fast enough. Even going to 8GB would be overkill for me.

Guys, if I purchase a full version of Microsoft Office last year and install on laptop. Can I also use it on Surface Pro 3, all documents get saved to One Drive right?

Yeah, just uninstall from the old machine and on to the new one. Whether the documents are on OneDrive or not depends on where you've been saving them.

Apath

Apparently the fatwallet cashback @ 8% is only good until 6/16 then it reverts back to 4%. The 10% student discount and 8% cashback from Fatwallet is as good as it will get for a while. I had a chance to check out the Pro 3 this morning at the MS store. It definitely lives up to the hype. It's a great peace of hardware. I plan on placing my order tomorrow for the 256 GB i5 model.
How does fatwallet work?

Top Bottom