• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

takriel

I think the weirdest part of all the Surface Pro 3 discussion is how much its usability as a pure tablet is being totally ignored. Whether talking about "lappability" or simply how you can prop it up on a bed/tray table / wherever else.

It's like people are so conditioned to think that 8" and 10" are the only reasonable sizes for tablets that they automatically assume a 12" tablet is just too absurd to even consider as a viable size to use.

12" is kinda large, though. I wonder if it really is as comfortable to hold in your hands as a 10" tablet. That's really my only worrying point so far. Maybe someone with a SP3 or a similar 12" tablet can shed some light on this?

Man, love my Surface Pro 2 but if only I had waited 5 months ;-;(the endless tech game) Suppose I'll upgrade with the 5, 1300 was a lot for a poor college student and I should have graduated by then!
unless I'm dead

Barmaley

Neo Member
Any official word on the european release dates? Every site I found mentioning them end up linking to the US dates. Thinking about selling my pro 1 now, but I don't want to have to do without a tablet for 3 months.
I want the i5 128gb version (which I hope will be released in the eu in june too), but I wonder if at that high resolution and with the lack of a high performance setting it will still be "graphically" faster than a surface pro 1.

Totakeke

Any official word on the european release dates? Every site I found mentioning them end up linking to the US dates. Thinking about selling my pro 1 now, but I don't want to have to do without a tablet for 3 months.
I want the i5 128gb version (which I hope will be released in the eu in june too), but I wonder if at that high resolution and with the lack of a high performance setting it will still be "graphically" faster than a surface pro 1.

All the other countries listed is end of August for all models.

Barmaley

Neo Member
All the other countries listed is end of August for all models.

Is this from an official source? Have you got a link for that?

EDIT: Ah, just found this on the microsoft website: "By the end of August, Surface Pro 3 and select new accessories will become available for purchase in 26 additional markets, including Australia, Austria, Belgium, China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Luxembourg, Malaysia, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand and the United Kingdom."

Boohoooohoooo

I love everything I'm seeing about the device, but when 90% of people are right-handed, why the hell would you place the windows button on the right of the device?

I think the weirdest part of all the Surface Pro 3 discussion is how much its usability as a pure tablet is being totally ignored. Whether talking about "lappability" or simply how you can prop it up on a bed/tray table / wherever else.

It's like people are so conditioned to think that 8" and 10" are the only reasonable sizes for tablets that they automatically assume a 12" tablet is just too absurd to even consider as a viable size to use.

12" is too big. i'm an expert, i have a Galaxy Note II.

i was relieved after the announcement. i knew i could go on longer with what i already had.

Totakeke

I love everything I'm seeing about the device, but when 90% of people are right-handed, why the hell would you place the windows button on the right of the device?

Definitely seems like a huge oversight.

12" is too big. i'm an expert, i have a Galaxy Note II.

i was relieved after the announcement. i knew i could go on longer with what i already had.

But it's lighter than the previous Surface Pros! You need it.

Vyer

Question about the cover: with the keyboard attached is the whole thing 'adjustable' like a laptop? In other words can you shift it back and forth as you adjust the display easily, or do stuff like grab it from the just the keyboard or screen and move it with no problems?

Probably a combination of two things: not screen size but the assumption of weight that comes with it. At this point a 2 pound tablet isn't all that appealing to anyone. Also previous attempts by other companies to make 'big' tablets might be unfairly tainting some impressions . Lots of those things were freakin' bricks.

Second, people are interested in a Pro for a reason; looking more for full Windows and the applications that run on it less than the more touch friendly app store stuff.

dLMN8R

Because tablets now have been mostly synonymous with a touch-screen device that is lightweight, can be carried around easily, and with the primary, or only, input being touch. Making arguments with most people that SP3 can be a viable tablet will only lead to arguments revolving how inflexible their definition of a tablet is. So it's pretty pointless really.

A better argument is probably that SP3 is a laptop-caliber device that you can carry around easily and is far more flexible as a mobile device, especially without having to carry and rely on the burdensome keyboard when you don't need it.

I'm not saying that it's ideal exclusively as a tablet, or that an 8" tablet wouldn't be better for certain things, but it's completely viable to use as a tablet whenever the opportunity presents itself. And there are plenty of opportunities that make perfect sense to use it without the keyboard attached.

zeeaykay

Great video. Seems to make it seem like many people jumped to conclusions with NTrig. Who thought the biggest flaw would be the Windows button getting in the way? Really hope they figure something out with that.

I don't see any excessive brush lag. You'll see some brush lag on even monster desktops running Cintiqs. Looks about par with everything else I've seen.

BTW, if you are proficient at drawing, sketching and painting, brush lag is a none issue. Only newbs drawing too slow would be distracted (unless you are talking about excessive ones that takes over a second to catch up and it slows down your sketching). When you draw, you don't pause every step of the stroke to see how your line is going. You just draw knowing how the stroke and line will turn out.

If you are drawing too slow, you are not drawing well in the first place.

It'll be interesting to see how other tablet PC manufacturers respond to the new surface pricing. The i3 model puts most of the bay trail offerings from others to shame at the $800 price point. Lenovo, HP, and others will likely have to re-evaluate things very soon.

It'll be interesting to see how other tablet PC manufacturers respond to the new surface pricing. The i3 model puts most of the bay trail offerings from others to shame at the $800 price point. Lenovo, HP, and others will likely have to re-evaluate things very soon.

Baytrail units have different purpose: small and light with no fan and long battery life. So Lenovo can still charge $600 for Thinkpad Tablet 10 and still feel pretty good about it.

Wiktor

Doubt it. Their units generally are still a lot cheaper, even if they're also a lot less powerful.

It's double edged. Having it on the side is definitely much more convenient when holding in landscape, as you don't have to move/remove a hand to press the button (something I have to do a lot with my RT). On the other hand, I wonder how often it will accidentally be pressed.

$200 to replace the battery. I know this is the way things are going in tech these days, but it still stings.

I don't get this:

The power connector is also a thunderbolt connector? What?

I think he was implying that the power connector also has pins for USB and Video maybe? So while it's not Thunderbolt, it could serve a similar purpose for some people... maybe? It's really vague. Why do we have to buy a Surface 3 to find out ourselves?

DSC_1303.jpg

The lady (Joanna Stern) that Panay used during the presentation posted her thoughts.

Schlep

I don't think some people will be happy until it's both a better tablet than an iPad and a better laptop than a MacBook Air. It's a nice thought, if even very unrealistic.

Nero3000

I don't think some people will be happy until it's both a better tablet than an iPad and a better laptop than a MacBook Air. It's a nice thought, if even very unrealistic.

It never going to be a "better laptop" because its not a laptop.

In my mind, these lapability arguments are just nit-picking. When i'm not at a desk or flat surface, I use my Pro in a tablet mode - but I don't excessively write as a profession.

However the Surface Pro is arguably a better "computer" than the MacBook Air.

Also consider this for a moment, the SP3 is thinner than the original iPad.

OK, so with that AMA on SP3, we finally have another piece of the puzzle about N-Trig pen's specs: Initial Activation Force. It's 10 grams. And we now also know the maximum: 400 grams! That a big gap. I have no idea what Wacom's max is but I doubt it's that high.

So, if you are making meaningful comparison between the two pens, you have to keep the IAF in mind:

activepenspecschart_zps7e1086cd.jpg~original

Can anyone help me fill in the blanks in that above chart?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Just preordered my Surface Pro 3. Finally MS convinced me to pull the trigger. My laptop is currently almost 6 years old and needs to be replaced. This will be it.

Animator

That's a lot of tech talk in that post, but it doesn't answer the only question that matters which is "is Microsoft in contact with app developers to help them support the new pen". It can be the best pen in the world but it doesn't matter if apps don't support it.

I am in contact with Autodesk and asking them to support the ntrig drivers. But even with the most optimistic best case scenario it is not something that will happen this year from the way I see it.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
That's a lot of tech talk in that post, but it doesn't answer the only question that matters which is "is Microsoft in contact with app developers to help them support the new pen". It can be the best pen in the world but it doesn't matter if apps don't support it.

I am in contact with Autodesk and asking them to support the ntrig drivers. But even with the most optimistic best case scenario it is not something that will happen this year from the way I see it.

I thought they released new WinTab drivers which makes it work with everything now?

MS and N-Trig just got Adobe to support Microsoft's pen API natively. That's not a small thing. It's even more impressive than their Wacom Wintab support since it's native. This means, without an extra driver, Photoshop will give you pressure sensitivity for ANY device that uses Microsoft's pen API.

At CES, Sony's VAIO booth was showing alpha Photoshop N-Trig support via MS API. I was puzzled as to how Sony managed that feat. Now I know how. It wasn't Sony's doing. It was Microsoft via Surface Pro 3's N-Trig use.

Animator

MS and N-Trig just got Adobe to support Microsoft's pen API natively. That's not a small thing. It's even more impressive than their Wacom Wintab support since it's native. This means, without an extra driver, Photoshop will give you pressure sensitivity for ANY device that uses Microsoft's pen API.

At CES, Sony's VAIO booth was showing alpha Photoshop N-Trig support via MS API. I was puzzled as to how Sony managed that feat. Now I know how. It wasn't Sony's doing. It was Microsoft via Surface Pro 3's N-Trig use.

Yea it's great news if all you use is Photoshop.

They need to get support for Zbrush in there. I am sure Microsoft has the money to make it happen.

Yea it's great news if all you use is Photoshop.

They need to get support for Zbrush in there. I am sure Microsoft has the money to make it happen.

Exactly. If anyone can unite the productivity app world for driver support, it's MS. Wacom just has support because they've been doing it for 20+ years, and their software support monopoly is hurting consumers.

Draper

Considering the i5/128 set up. Anyone care to make me rethink my choice?

Just preordered my Surface Pro 3. Finally MS convinced me to pull the trigger. My laptop is currently almost 6 years old and needs to be replaced. This will be it.

What color type cover?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Considering the i5/128 set up. Anyone care to make me rethink my choice?

What color type cover?

As of now, just the black. I also got the i5/128, but I wish the i7 was out now. I won't be doing anything with graphics/video on it, so I probably won't need any power, but there's something about pushing more pixels than the SP2 yet having the same insides as the SP2 that is sitting wrong with me. I guess that's why god invented return policies.

Goddamn, I've always wanted a surface but I just kept waiting for the next revision, this seems to be the one I'll finally jump on. Only bad thing is I bought an iPad Air a month ago. Does anyone have both and if so do you find having the two redundant (like do you find yourself larely ignoring one or the other?).

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Goddamn, I've always wanted a surface but I just kept waiting for the next revision, this seems to be the one I'll finally jump on. Only bad thing is I bought an iPad Air a month ago. Does anyone have both and if so do you find having the two redundant (like do you find yourself larely ignoring one or the other?).
My SP1 purchase happened because I went shopping for an iPad Mini Retina (which at the time was $598 - the same as a Surface Pro which had just dropped in price). I thought the cost was completely outrageous for the Mini for what it was so I dove in on the SP.

I chose the SP just because of the stylus - love the idea of sketching on it while using it as a tablet. It's been great for that but it's really lacking in the touch app department (leaving alone the fact it does run any Windows desktop app) so I picked up a Nexus 7 2013 for the more tablety/browser/game stuff. I dont think the laptop/tablet hybrid dream is quite there, more because of the lacking app store. Besides, the SP1 is too heavy and too hot to use for long as a tablet. The SP3 might be heaps better, of course. Love the SP1 as a laptop, though. I use it daily with an external monitor and it does anything I throw at it.

TL:DR: I bought a SP1 as a tablet/laptop hybrid. It's not a strong tablet, but has been a great laptop, so bought an N7. They complement eachother.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I'm always someone who would rather have two perfect devices than one hybrid. I use a Fuji X-10 instead of my iPhone camera when I can. I'd always prefer to use my Xbox's media features than the crappy ones shoehorned into my "smart TV." Stuff like that.

I can't see myself giving up on the MBP and iPad combo. They both serve two different purposes and I grab them on different occasions. Also, I prefer my laptop to have at least a little gaming ability, and thus the integrated graphics are a disappointment.

With all that said, the Surface 3 would be AMAZING for work. Currently, I have to lug around a big, thick, and heavy Dell with crappy battery life and a shit trackpad. I don't know how convinced I am that the Surface 3 is the perfect hybrid; but in my opinion, it's clearly the best Windows ultra book on the market. Hell, outside of the 2014 14" Razer Blade, I'd argue it might be the best Windows laptop, period. I can't think of another device I'd prefer.

Definitely hope MS finds a lot of success with the 3. It checks off just about every box for me. It's just not *for* me.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I'm always someone who would rather have two perfect devices than one hybrid. I use a Fuji X-10 instead of my iPhone camera when I can. I'd always prefer to use my Xbox's media features than the crappy ones shoehorned into my "smart TV." Stuff like that.

I can't see myself giving up on the MBP and iPad combo. They both serve two different purposes and I grab them on different occasions. Also, I prefer my laptop to have at least a little gaming ability, and thus the integrated graphics are a disappointment.

With all that said, the Surface 3 would be AMAZING for work. Currently, I have to lug around a big, thick, and heavy Dell with crappy battery life and a shit trackpad. I don't know how convinced I am that the Surface 3 is the perfect hybrid; but in my opinion, it's clearly the best Windows ultra book on the market. Hell, outside of the 2014 14" Razer Blade, I'd argue it might be the best Windows laptop, period. I can't think of another device I'd prefer.

Definitely hope MS finds a lot of success with the 3. It checks off just about every box for me. It's just not *for* me.
This is me - I travel a lot and my rMBP, while a fantastic machine, was just too heavy and bulky. SP1 works as a laptop just fine at home, but is ideal for when I'm out and about (or flying) as it's so small and light, and the stylus and high res screen easily puts it above an Air for me.

As a tablet, it's not there yet. If somehow the App store catches up to the competitors it'd be sweet - but it's pretty barren at the moment. I find 8.1 a weird Frankenstein mix of OS's at the moment too - having two sets of settings, for example, is still confusing and poorly thought out.

Wiktor

With all that said, the Surface 3 would be AMAZING for work. Currently, I have to lug around a big, thick, and heavy Dell with crappy battery life and a shit trackpad. I don't know how convinced I am that the Surface 3 is the perfect hybrid; but in my opinion, it's clearly the best Windows ultra book on the market. Hell, outside of the 2014 14" Razer Blade, I'd argue it might be the best Windows laptop, period. I can't think of another device I'd prefer..
Can I assume you're not using laptop much for writing ? Becaue I don't see how one could otherwise consider this the best laptop.

Top Bottom