• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

Tablo

Honestly one of the reasons I think I'm getting away from Surface. Network speeds are terrible wired or not. Network over Usb3 is just as bad.

o_O I mean I can understand the Surface RT being shit because it was shit for the most part, but my Surface Pro has never run into network troubles, I use it incessantly. My dad's Surface 2 did have some issues on the 5 ghz band so I dropped it to our 2.4ghz network and now it's fine.

ElNino

Honestly one of the reasons I think I'm getting away from Surface. Network speeds are terrible wired or not. Network over Usb3 is just as bad.
That depends on what your definition of terrible is?

My SP1 over USB3 ethernet easily hits my 150Mb download speed and when transferring fo/from my NAS, it is only limited by the NAS.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

I hadn't noticed it until I was dicking around in powershell. saw 'link speed 11Mbps' dropping sometimes to 5. put the router to wireless N only to check, it still connects..... at 11Mbps.

shits offensive when my home internet connection is 120Mb.

found a thing on reddit to 'fix' it but it doesn't work for me.

this is what I found on reddit to improve speed. I think this is for a surface pro 2 but the options etc are there in the original as well.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/1vybd8/found_a_fix_to_slow_sp2_wifi_link_speed/

o_O I mean I can understand the Surface RT being shit because it was shit for the most part, but my Surface Pro has never run into network troubles, I use it incessantly. My dad's Surface 2 did have some issues on the 5 ghz band so I dropped it to our 2.4ghz network and now it's fine.

open powershell as admin, type

Code:
get-netadapter -physical

what does it say for linkspeed?

Totakeke

I'm using Surface RT and I stream 1080p movies from my server fine through wifi. When I first got it the wifi was really wonky because it couldn't connect to some wifi network, but now it's fine.

Totakeke

SP3 competitor?
i3jzE0n.jpg

We've heard companies make lots of claims, but this latest one from ASUS is mighty specific: The company says its new Transformer Book T300 Chi is the "world's thinnest 12.5-inch detachable tablet." Well then! Sounds like a not-so-subtle reference to the Surface Pro 3, if you ask us. In any case, to ASUS' credit, this does look like quite the savory device, with or without the marketing hype. What we have here is a 12.5-inch tablet with an included keyboard dock, with top-of-the-line specs that include a 2,560 x 1,440 display, built-in LTE and "next-generation" Intel Core processors (like, so "next-gen" Intel isn't even talking about them yet). As for that thin shape, it measures 14.3mm (0.56 inch) with the dock and 7.3mm (0.29 inch) thick for just the tablet. As usual, ASUS isn't talking price or availability just yet, but we'll update this post if we hear more.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/02/asus-transformer-book-t300-chi/

But it's probably using Y series processors without venting and unlikely to have a stylus.

Paganmoon

As long as the other companies (Dell, Asus, Lenovo) keep having huge-ass keyboard attachments, it'll never be a competitor in my book. I can understand it somewhat, if they come with extra harddrive, and battery in the keyboard attachment, but some are just huge bricks that only do keyboard functions...

AlexMogil

I hadn't noticed it until I was dicking around in powershell. saw 'link speed 11Mbps' dropping sometimes to 5. put the router to wireless N only to check, it still connects..... at 11Mbps.

shits offensive when my home internet connection is 120Mb.

found a thing on reddit to 'fix' it but it doesn't work for me.

this is what I found on reddit to improve speed. I think this is for a surface pro 2 but the options etc are there in the original as well.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/1vybd8/found_a_fix_to_slow_sp2_wifi_link_speed/

open powershell as admin, type

Code:
get-netadapter -physical

what does it say for linkspeed?

The official Surface Dock Port is 100mb and travels over the USB3 bus. Dumb.

I'll look at that nifty looking Wifi fix.

Edit: Also I should point out I'm trying to use this device as a IT/Network professional where having wired ethernet is a necessity, and sometimes even SERIAL is needed. That hurts, too.

Docking is a bit of a pain also because the default screen scaling is what, 125% I think? Dock it to a couple 27" monitors and your fonts and icons are all messed up and scaled incorrectly so you set the scaling to 100%. Ok, then undock - your Surface desktop is now super tiny with teensy text and super small icons. So reset the scaling again. Log off, log back on. Now Dock. BIG FONTS, reset scale, log off, log back on...

As a end-user device, it's very good but it isn't suiting my needs too well.

Totakeke

The official Surface Dock Port is 100mb and travels over the USB3 bus. Dumb.

I'll look at that nifty looking Wifi fix.

Edit: Also I should point out I'm trying to use this device as a IT/Network professional where having wired ethernet is a necessity, and sometimes even SERIAL is needed. That hurts, too.

Docking is a bit of a pain also because the default screen scaling is what, 125% I think? Dock it to a couple 27" monitors and your fonts and icons are all messed up and scaled incorrectly so you set the scaling to 100%. Ok, then undock - your Surface desktop is now super tiny with teensy text and super small icons. So reset the scaling again. Log off, log back on. Now Dock. BIG FONTS, reset scale, log off, log back on...

As a end-user device, it's very good but it isn't suiting my needs too well.

Well with the new SP3 the scaling should be the same since the resolution is similar right? They should implement some sort of profile for scaling though, doesn't sound too difficult.

AlexMogil

Well with the new SP3 the scaling should be the same since the resolution is similar right? They should implement some sort of profile for scaling though, doesn't sound too difficult.

I'll wait and see on SP3. I've bought a Pro 1 and 2 and an original RT so I believe in the platform, I'm just trying to find how to fit it into my life.

Schlep

Found out I'm gonna be getting an extra $500 this month, so...

2TLU9LS.jpg

Just gotta sell my Surface Pro 2 immediately once I buy it.

Re/code: Surface Pro 3 sucks

This newest device, the Surface Pro 3, starts at $800. But like its predecessors, this Surface doesn’t ship with a keyboard, so you’ll have to shell out another $130 for its Type Cover keyboard. Grand total: $930.

The MacBook Air, which Microsoft insists on comparing to this Surface, starts at $900. It comes with a built-in keyboard that’s much sturdier than the magnetic clip-on accessory for the Surface Pro 3. While the cheapest MacBook Air’s display is 11.6 inches versus the 12-inch Surface display, it comes with 128 gigabytes of storage versus 64GB on the cheapest Surface Pro 3. It also has a faster processor (Intel Core i5 versus i3), and weighs slightly less (2.38 pounds versus 2.41 for the Surface with its keyboard).

But with its top-heavy build and comparably flimsy keyboard, it’s still not nearly as sturdy or comfortable to use for a long time as the MacBook Air.
But folding the keyboard over and using this thing as a tablet is not an enjoyable experience. Its honking 12-inch screen feels big and bulky, and with the keyboard, it weighs more than twice as much as the one-pound iPad Air. Take off its keyboard, and the Surface still weighs more, at 1.76 pounds.

Even worse: I kept tapping the Windows button on the screen’s frame by accident because, well, you’re supposed to hold a tablet by its frame.

A bigger problem was that my Surface Pro 3 continually lost its connection to the Internet. This didn’t happen in my home or in a hotel where I stayed for six days, but it happened numerous times in my office, where we use Wi-Fi to power seven computers and numerous mobile devices — none of which have trouble connecting and staying connected to Wi-Fi.

http://recode.net/2014/06/04/microsoft-surface-pro-3-doesnt-stand-up-to-macbook-air/

Heysoos

Thinking of selling my current laptop which is less than a year old and picking up a Surface 2 once the Surface 3s come out. But, I'm thinking of just waiting and hoping the prices of flash storage keeps going down and 256 becomes the base for the pro 4. Bleh.

Schlep

Re/code: Surface Pro 3 sucks

This newest device, the Surface Pro 3, starts at $800. But like its predecessors, this Surface doesn’t ship with a keyboard, so you’ll have to shell out another $130 for its Type Cover keyboard. Grand total: $930.

The MacBook Air, which Microsoft insists on comparing to this Surface, starts at $900. It comes with a built-in keyboard that’s much sturdier than the magnetic clip-on accessory for the Surface Pro 3. While the cheapest MacBook Air’s display is 11.6 inches versus the 12-inch Surface display, it comes with 128 gigabytes of storage versus 64GB on the cheapest Surface Pro 3. It also has a faster processor (Intel Core i5 versus i3), and weighs slightly less (2.38 pounds versus 2.41 for the Surface with its keyboard).
There are trade-offs between the 11.6" MBA and the SP3. The MBA has a faster processor and more storage, but the SP3 has almost 3x the resolution, touch screen/pen input, and a bigger screen. If we're going to be real, though, most people buy the 13" MBA just as most people will buy the $999 SP3.

And this whole type cover thing is getting old. Yes, in the small world of journalism it's a HUGE issue. Why pay an extra $130 (!!) when you don't have to with a MBA? However, in the world most people do business in, your computer has to be running Windows no matter what kind of computer it is. I know, because every time I see a Mac in the corporate world, it's running Windows.

Why would you pay $140 extra for Windows and go through the trouble of installing it when the SP3 comes with that out of the box?! lol. Anyone can make an arbitrary argument for or against any product, but the Type Cover seems to be the easy target.

Bumhead

Banned
How does navigation and pointing work on these things for standard Windows apps when using the Surface Pro as a tablet?

Does the touch of your finger and/or the pen act the exact same way as a mouse click? And how is that as an experience?

Just curious how these are for standard Windows applications without using a mouse.

How does navigation and pointing work on these things for standard Windows apps when using the Surface Pro as a tablet?

Does the touch of your finger and/or the pen act the exact same way as a mouse click? And how is that as an experience?

Just curious how these are for standard Windows applications without using a mouse.
You can configure it a bit, but the default pretty much works as you'd expect. Tapping will click, dragging will usually scroll. In areas where you can drag a selection box, it'll do that instead. A tap and hold will right-click.

It's fine, just awkward in the usual ways, small buttons designed to be clicked with a pointer can be difficult to hit consistently with a finger, and certainly at native scaling on the Pro 3, stuff will be tiny. It's just about doable on the Pro 2 at native scaling, but even that isn't ideal.

The thing your finger can't do is 'hover' the pointer over something if that is required - this is where the stylus is better as you can hover above the glass and move the pointer without clicking. It's still not quite as good as mouse for this purpose though, as you need to have a steady hand to keep your hover stationary in mid-air.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

Tap for left click, press and hold for right click.

Tugatrix

They are selling it here 937€ the 128GB version, not a bad price, I might make the deal if this surface prove to be as good as it promise

Still trying to figure out what I want to do. I'll have the money to get this but the question is do I want to spend that money to get it. I have a Windows computer that is beyond on its last legs. I have a 2012 Macbook that's still going strong but I still value having Windows for certain programs that are not on Macs and I value having two computers in general. I've always been interested in the Surface lineup.

That Transformer Book T300 Chi looks interesting too, though.

I think this thing is going to do really well with creatives. Everyone I know who has used one has nothing but glowing things to say about it.

Totakeke

We know how the original Surface ads went down, but I really like that they stuck with the kinetic energy theme for their ads. Definitely makes the ads feel unique.

Animator

So demo units are supposed to be in stores tomorrow. Hope to read some of you guys impressions because I can't make it to a MS store before saturday.

TxdoHawk

So demo units are supposed to be in stores tomorrow. Hope to read some of you guys impressions because I can't make it to a MS store before saturday.

The planets aligned and I get out of work at noon tomorrow, which means I can go look at one at my local mall with a MS store at an hour when it won't be mobbed. So yeah, I'll be by to post impressions.

Dead

well not really...yet
Saw the Surface Pro 3 at the MS store today. Galleria in Houston.

Extremely impressed. Cemented my purchase.

So thin, comfortable weight, holding it was effortless. New pen worked very well and the new type cover was a huge improvement. The new track pad is pretty damn good and the magnet strip does help a lot. It literally improves on everything wrong with Surface 2. The new kickstand is miraculous.

i5 256GB + 8GB ram. So bought.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Saw the Surface Pro 3 at the MS store today. Galleria in Houston.

Extremely impressed. Cemented my purchase.

So thin, comfortable weight, holding it was effortless. New pen worked very well and the new type cover was a huge improvement. The new track pad is pretty damn good and the magnet strip does help a lot. It literally improves on everything wrong with Surface 2. The new kickstand is miraculous.

i5 256GB + 8GB ram. So bought.

I have the 128/4 preordered but I kinda want the extra space/ram. I wish the i7 was out.

Top Bottom