• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

How does fatwallet work?

Just register on the site. Go to the link for cashback stores. Find Microsoft [and it should list 8% cashback]. Click on MS store link to be directed to MS store. Once you place order you will later have a pending refund amount in the Fatwallet account. After the transaction is finalized it may take a few weeks and then you'll have the option of getting a refund check for that 8%.

smokeyp

Just register on the site. Go to the link for cashback stores. Find Microsoft [and it should list 8% cashback]. Click on MS store link to be directed to MS store. Once you place order you will later have a pending refund amount in the Fatwallet account. After the transaction is finalized it may take a few weeks and then you'll have the option of getting a refund check for that 8%.

I just ordered today via the Fatwallet CashBack link. Would you happen to know how long it takes the Fatwallet website to show the transaction as pending?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Tried out Maya and Sketchbook pro on the Sp3 today (4gb version). Both ran amazingly well. Pressure sensitivity works in sketchbook pro without having to install wintab drivers and Maya ran extremely well and fast.

I will call bullshit on the "there was slowdown with two browsers open" claims in this thread because I just pushed the machine much harder than %99 of the users ever will and it was still snappy and fast. I have noticed zero slowdowns.

The i5 version is more than enough for anyone. The premium you pay for %10 performance increase on top of that with the i7 is not worth it imo.

That's really cool. Does Maya have touch support? I know Mudbox does.

Laconic

Banned
That's my feeling as well after owning the Surface Pro 2 with the same specs. The most taxing thing I do on that system is export Captivate videos in mp4, and that moves fast enough. Even going to 8GB would be overkill for me.

So do you think that 4 gigs would be enough for Manga Studio and Painter, then? $300 is 30% and thus quite a lot more, after all. I know that is also taking into account 180 gigs more hard drive space, but that's what Micro SD cards are for. :p

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Tried it out in a Microsoft store today... felt nice, really slick. It was my first time using a pen/touch surface combo to try and write; that was a weird experience. I struggled to write notes that looked as organized and neat as I would on a piece of paper, but maybe you just have to get used to writing on a surface like that first.

Also tried the Microsoft Arc mouse which I liked quite a bit for what it was trying to do. Think I'll pick one of those up as well along with keeping my Surface preorder.

Gianny

Does microsoft send a code to a verified email now? I can't seem to find that option, I had it last year and never used it (expired) now I can't find my university UCLA. How do I proceed?

Schlep

So do you think that 4 gigs would be enough for Manga Studio and Painter, then? $300 is 30% and thus quite a lot more, after all. I know that is also taking into account 180 gigs more hard drive space, but that's what Micro SD cards are for. :p
I would go with Animator's take on it over mine. Unfortunately Captivate and light edits in GIMP are as artistic as I'm capable of lol.

Justin

I saw this device at a Best Buy today and as someone who has never owned a laptop or a tablet the device seems pretty magical. If i'm interested in mainly using it for work and don't really plan to run any games on it is there any reason that the $1000 version would be a bad decision to pick up over the higher priced ones?

I saw this device at a Best Buy today and as someone who has never owned a laptop or a tablet the device seems pretty magical. If i'm interested in mainly using it for work and don't really plan to run any games on it is there any reason that the $1000 version would be a bad decision to pick up over the higher priced ones?

That's what I'm going back and forth about. The price in addition to the keyboard is already an expensive pill to swallow. I guess it would depend on what you do at work that would determine if you need the additional RAM, space, or even the i7 (even though I believe the i5 would be sufficient for most things for most people.

I'm trying to decide if I'd be okay with the 4GBs of RAM considering I pretty much live in Adobe Suite for school or if I should just look elsewhere for a laptop because $1000 is pretty much as far as I'd go for now. This product just seems so perfect for me though.

Animator

$1000 version will run everything you throw at it. The problem with the 128gb one is it doesn't have much space for things if you are going to be installing a lot of stuff on it and also keep your work files on the device. Though I guess you can get a micro sd card for that.

I would get the $1000 version myself if it wasn't for the $300 in best buy gift card I am getting from credit card reward points.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
While 4 gb of ram seems to be okay to do most things for most people, I cancelled my order for the 4gb model and bumped it up to the 256/8. The way I see it, I don't upgrade my laptop often so i'd rather have it and not need it than to have to upgrade before I want to.

Played with one today. The build quality and everything is blazing fast. The new type over os amazing but the most impressive thing was the pen support for me. Never has it felt so good to write on a tablet. The kickstand is just awesome as well. Once this price is manageable I will certainly worth own one. Of Microsoft could have pulled this off a couple years ago I think the tablet scene would look quite a bit different.

If you're not planning to play games or do CPU heavy work on it (programming, video editing, etc) then getting the one with the i3 will be fine. It will handle general tasks like web browsing and Office perfectly fine.

Took the plunge today. Preordered the i5 256 GB version with student discount and fatwallet 8% cash back. I had to order the blue type cover from Best Buy though since it's not available on the MS store site.

Took the plunge today. Preordered the i5 256 GB version with student discount and fatwallet 8% cash back. I had to order the blue type cover from Best Buy though since it's not available on the MS store site.

Has the transaction already showed up on fatwallet yet? I ordered yesterday and it still hasn't.

Animator

GREAT FUCKING NEWS ALERT!

Ntrig is releasing an updated wintab driver and according to surface pro artist it adds pressure sensitivity to the majority of the apps including Zbrush!

So fucking stoked!

Draper

I wonder if waiting for the i7 is worth it for the graphics card bump alone...

I'll probably get the $999 one for now though.

Schlep

Finally touched one for a while at Best Buy today.

• The screen is amazingly crisp. I kept going back and forth between the MacBook Pros and the screen quality is identical. I felt like the SP3 actually had nicer colors than the MBP, but since they weren't side by side, that's hard to confirm.
  • The screen size is perfect. They still had the SP2's out, and it was almost laughable how much roomier the SP3 felt. I could easily see working in Excel to be a much nicer task on the SP3 as I wouldn't always need to collapse the toolbar to save 25% of my workspace.
  • Portrait mode is the best I've used. Ever since I switched from iPad back in 2011 to Android tablets and later the SP2, I've missed the 4:3 layout for webpages and reading. 3:2 is even better than 4:3. Much easier to see an entire webpage while still keeping everything legible (SP2 could do the first, but not the second).
  • The stand makes a huge difference. The biggest difference to me comes with note taking. I feel like you can actually sit and take notes at the 150 degree angle where it feels very awkward taking notes with the SP2 laying flat. Obviously I couldn't move it too much, but I imagine most people will use the same angle in their laps in tablet mode.
  • The thing is light. On paper it's only a quarter pound lighter than the SP2, but the distribution of weight makes it very easy to hold. Where with the SP2 in tablet mode I always use the kickstand, I could very easily see keeping the SP3 in portrait mode most of the time.
  • The thinness of the device is almost jarring. Coming from the SP2, which feels like a tank, this feels more like a notepad. If I didn't see Panos drop it in the press conference, I'd question its durability. This isn't a con or bad point in any way, more of shock at the engineering.
  • Accidentally hitting the Windows button is overblown. I purposefully tested this while at the store, because it was my one apprehension about the device. In both OneNote and Fresh Paint, I rested my palm on it, grazed it with my palm, and came down on at the same time as touching the screen. None of it triggered the Start menu. Either they updated the driver, or this was never a huge issue.
  • The touchpad is very nice. Forgot to mention this one. Normally I don't like or use touchpads at all. The MacBook Air would be an exception to that, and so would this one. It's such a night and day difference between the Type Cover 3 and the 2, or even the 1, that you'll notice it immediately. It's a real touchpad.
I'm sure I could write some more, but overall, today really sold me. I was sold before enough to put down a preorder, but it was more about having the newest and shiniest than anything else. This thing is a game changer. As a laptop, the keyboard is still a good keyboard (very sturdy when attached to the screen), and the angles at which you can adjust the screen make it much nicer to work with.

As a tablet, I honestly feel like it might be the best I've used. Don't get me wrong, if you're all about apps and games, I don't think it's going to cut it. However, if your use of tablets is more geared towards browsing, emailing, and doing some light typing (like posting on GAF), then this is probably the best it gets: IE is a solid browser, the 150 degree kickstand makes on screen typing realistic, and the 3:2 ratio, high resolution, and lighter weight make it very comfortable.

Apath

Are there any pictures of how the red type cover actually looks? The picture showing off the SP3 on the Microsoft Store website looks great--more maroon than red. However I've seen some pictures that make it look a tomato red.

If it's going to be bright red I'll try and get the blue cover, which seems to not be available at the Microsoft store..

TKR92

Are there any pictures of how the red type cover actually looks? The picture showing off the SP3 on the Microsoft Store website looks great--more maroon than red. However I've seen some pictures that make it look a tomato red.

If it's going to be bright red I'll try and get the blue cover, which seems to not be available at the Microsoft store..

I thought someone said the Blue cover is available only at Best Buy.

kazinova

I'm so close to getting a Pro 3, I just have to find some poor schlub to dump my Surface RT off to. How much do you think I could get for a 32gb Surface RT with (cyan) Touch Cover in pristine condition? $175-$200? Also, I should sell my OG Nexus 7 (replaced by an iPad Mini w/ Retina) $80 w/ case sound reasonable?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I'm so close to getting a Pro 3, I just have to find some poor schlub to dump my Surface RT off to. How much do you think I could get for a 32gb Surface RT with (cyan) Touch Cover in pristine condition? $175-$200? Also, I should sell my OG Nexus 7 (replaced by an iPad Mini w/ Retina) $80 w/ case sound reasonable?

I sold mine for $200 - 32 gb with type cover. Also sold my dell venue pro 8. Everything must go to fund the new SP3!

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Finally got to try a SP3 at Best Buy tonight. Absolutely beautiful. The size is perfect, it's light and the screen is gorgeous. I also felt the lag when drawing was almost non-existent. Definitely getting one when it releases.

IronChef

Banned
Stopped by a local MS store, played around with one for about 20 minutes, here are my impressions:

How it feels: This thing screams premium when you handle it. Completely solid and secure in the hand. Very light. I own a Nexus 7, and the SP3 almost feels like it's lighter than the N7. The bigger surface area of the SP3 gives you the expectation that it should weigh a lot, but its actual weight turns that expectation up-side-down and gives the illusion that it's lighter than it really is (vs the expectation). My old iPad 1 feels heavier than a SP3.

Lapability: Without a type cover, it works like a dream with the vari-angle kick-stand. In fact, I'm not sure that I need a type cover whenever I'm using it on my lap. The on-screen keyboard works just fine. With the type cover (using the extra raised position), I had no problems getting it to stay balanced on my lap, even when I'm crossed over and it's on one lap. I could type just fine on a lap. Overall, I give it 90% of a normal ultrabook's lapability.

Pen: This is the only slightly disappointing aspect I found. Writing with the pen doesn't quite match the precision of writing on paper. There is still a perceptible delay in the ink trail vs my motions, although it is superior to every other device I've ever tried. When scribing sentences like I would on a pad of paper, using my normal writing speed, I find that the results are about 80% the readability I would have on paper. If I was going to use this for serious note-taking, I'll need to adjust (lower) my writing speed.

Overall, this is a very drool-worthy piece of tech. I'm still holding out for a Broadwell refresh, but once that happens (hopefully 6 months from now), it'll be impossible to resist getting one.

Enron

Banned
two weeks i've had my SP1 and I decided to finally test out my Ultimate Ears Triple Fis with it - bluuugghghgghghhh. The SP1 sounds awwwwwful. Was using WMP so maybe I need to make some adjustments there but not too impressed. Which is fine, i didn't buy this thing to listen to music but still...

Tablo

Do we have specs on the audio side for the Pro 3? I wonder to what extent they care about that. Probably not much in that form factor :/

Alright, joining the club on the 3. I was going to wait for the 4, but I've been wanting to do some lazy programming. (Laying on the couch watching Netflix and programming) Turns out my Surface 2 isn't quite cut out for that.

What would you guys say is a fair price for a Surface 2 (not Pro), with a used Type Keyboard? I'll do some looking later tomorrow but I'm not sure interest is really high for something like it near me.

Heysoos

We got our display model a few days back, thing is sexy as hell in person. People always do a double take when they enter the department and look at it.

photo_zps8d910409.jpg

All of my want

Top Bottom