• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

kazinova

Whelp, now the status has changed from Order Being Processed back to Payment Validated. But before the status listed as "Status Not Available", now it lists as "Pre-ordered, Release Date 6/20/14".

I give up, I won't expect this thing until Monday. Curse you, fickle web-gods of Best Buy! You and your confusing order status system!

Lucifon

Any differences aside from power plug that would prevent importing? That's quite a jump in price :(

I'm not actually sure. I wonder if someone could answer this? If I could get one for a fraction of the cost imported and use a power plug adapter I'd certainly be tempted. Not sure how it affects the warranty situation when it's a US model either.

Servbot24

Banned
Awaiting impressions from more artists, but I'm very interested in this. I'd rather buy this than a Cintiq if it's reasonably suitable.

Razdek

Banned
Played with this at Beat Buy and it's a nice device. At first I thought it was just the surface 2 until I used the new type cover and it had a decent trackpad. Will wait for Surface 4 with the new chip set.

Stolen from: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/microsoft/62651-surface-pro-3-store-fondling-first-impressions-starts-friday-june-6-a-29.html

Got notification from Microsoft store of delivery of Surface Pro 3 this Friday at 8:00 am. This is at Park Mall Tucson, AZ. Also free breakfast ��
I also wanted to let you know about the great accessories bundles that are being offered to make your Surface Pro 3 the best device it can be. There are 2 bundle types:
1. $249 Bundle includes:
a. Type Cover V3
b. 13" sleeve (under $50)
c. Microsoft complete: Two years of protection, support, and training
Get complete and get it all- Extended Service Plan and accidental protection for your device, plus unlimited one-on-one Personal Training and services for two full years.

2. $299 Bundle includes:
a. Type Cover V3
b. 13" sleeve (under $50)
c. Microsoft complete: Two years of protection, support, and training
Get complete and get it all- Extended Service Plan and accidental protection for your device, plus unlimited one-on-one Personal Training and services for two full years.
d. Office 365 Personal (Price adjusts with if you choose Office 365 Home or University

I may consider the first bundle. It sucks that there's no blue cover at the MS store.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
My cc was charged but no shipping notice yet.

Those bundles seem pretty overpriced... then again, I'm pretty against accidental damage insurance like that.

NeOak

My cc was charged but no shipping notice yet.

Those bundles seem pretty overpriced... then again, I'm pretty against accidental damage insurance like that.
You do know that it's a $50 deductible, no questions asked insurance for two years, right?

commish

You do know that it's a $50 deductible, no questions asked insurance for two years, right?

In my lifetime of buying tons of electronics, I can't think of a single time where I have damaged something where this would have been worth it. I used to be that guy who bought protection for my cell phones, laptops, TVs, etc... and I've yet to use them a single time. Maybe I'll consider it for my surface, I don't know.

I better knock on wood.

Edit: Did some reading up and some thinking, I guess the protection plan makes sense for something costing me so much money. I drop my ipad, not a big deal.... I drop my SP3, I am going to cry. And be poor. So, 250 for that is a pretty good deal, though I already preordered my keyboard.

Surface Pro 3 - 256GB / Intel i5

Surface Pro Type Cover (Red)

Order date: 5/23/2014
Release date: Ships by 6/20/2014

Red type cover is backordered? You have two days, Microsoft...

Any idea where they are shipping from? I'm assuming it's UPS international so no tracking for me... Trying to figure out when I should realistically expect it.

Eiolon

Just ordered three Core i5's ones. Wanted the Core i7 but was told by my sales guy they wouldn't be out until August. Can't wait ^_^

Thinking of picking this up mobile computing. Looking at the i5 model. One use case for me would be using stream in house streaming. With only 1 usb port id need a hub to use a usb to network dongle and to plug in my controller. This shouldn't be a problem should it?

Still torn between Surface, Yoga, or the Dell convertible

That first bundle's a pretty insane deal if you rate everything at retail price. $380 worth of stuff for 250, you're basically getting the Type cover for free. The only way you'll beat that price is if you go with squaretrade on the warranty when they have a 30% coupon out. Or if you work at Staples/BestBuy.

kazinova

I don't know why I keep checking Best Buy's order system. Now my order is saying it's back at step one, order received, but has not validated payment. Even though I paid in full in store weeks ago.

I'm probably going to have to walk into the store on Friday take one of the plentiful supply off the shelf and cancel this pre-order.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I don't know why I keep checking Best Buy's order system. Now my order is saying it's back at step one, order received, but has not validated payment. Even though I paid in full in store weeks ago.

I'm probably going to have to walk into the store on Friday take one of the plentiful supply off the shelf and cancel this pre-order.

Yeah, when I went to Best Buy to try one out I asked the guy if he thought I should pre-order in order to get one on release day and he said "nah, we should have plenty".

Also regretting having pre-ordered at bestbuy.com..

It says "preparing order" on the surface (ships in 1-2 days)

and "preparing order" on my blue type cover..

I picked express shipping, so if it goes out today in theory I should have it tomorrow but it sounds like picking it up in-store would have been a safer bet if they don't anticipate stock issues.

commish

Just got a notice from fatwallet saying my money was credited to my account. I guess mine is shipping soon?!

Just got the email that mine has shipped from the Microsoft store. Woot!

My tracking number hasn't been updated at UPS yet though. I'm guessing I'll probably get it Monday by how much I want it tomorrow, lol.

Both! GAF impressions are wanted!

Well, it doesn't come out until tomorrow.. so GAF impressions will likely come in over the next few days and weeks.

edit -

my blue typecover has shipped from best buy.

Surface hasn't shipped yet, though. Hopefully today..

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Did anybody else ordered Red type cover? I believe its exclusive to Microsoft store. I am definitely picking that up. Looks cool as hell.

panzone

I don' t know: I'm a developer so a good keyboard and an unix like is a must (so I thought to take a Macbook air), but with the Surface 3 I can avoid to have a tablet (for the unix-like think I can use a virtual machine), it' s lighter, more usable and it is a really beautiful machine.

kazinova

http://www.zdnet.com/how-microsofts-surface-pro-3-marketing-push-backfired-7000030723/

Finally a well thought out article in addition to Paul Thurrott's review. On one hand, MS did bring it on themselves. On the other hand, I'm tired of people complaining about typing on their laps. A world where I have to spend 90% of my typing time with a device on my lap is my nightmare.

Reviewers seemed to cherry pick comparisons to down the SP3 wherever possible if they were already predisposed to dislike.

Reviewer: "Sure it's a tablet, but the iPad has more/better apps"
Microsoft: "Sure it doesn't have the selection/quality but it's a full blown PC!"
Reviewer: "Yeah, but the MacBook Air has a better keyboard"
Microsoft: "Yes, but it's also more portable, it even has a pen for notes and drawing"
Reviewer: "Well, sure it has a pen if you don't accidentally lose it."
Microsoft: "Well, your MacBook Air would have terrible battery life if you lost the charger.."
Reviewer:"But I wouldn't lose it because I like my MacBook Air"
Microsoft: "What do you people want?!?!?"

Not many reviewers care to talk about what a device does well/poorly in a universal sense. They talk about their personal use case and those that they are familiar with. Which is totally fine, I understand their personal bias and can interpret what I need.

It just stinks that 100% tech journalists are just tech journalists. None of them have productivity needs outside of word processing and web-use.

maeh2k

http://www.zdnet.com/how-microsofts-surface-pro-3-marketing-push-backfired-7000030723/

Finally a well thought out article in addition to Paul Thurrott's review. On one hand, MS did bring it on themselves. On the other hand, I'm tired of people complaining about typing on their laps. A world where I have to spend 90% of my typing time with a device on my lap is my nightmare.

While Microsoft's message may not have helped, the reviews wouldn't have turned out any differently, regardless.

Tech reviews work well for narrow product categories. If I want to compare two standard notebooks, I head over to notebookcheck and get detailed, objective reviews. But for products that don't fit well into predefined categories, reviews aren't that helpful. Just because the device isn't right for the reviewer doesn't mean it's not the right device for you.
Moreover, professional tech reviewers are often not the target audience of certain devices. A professional writer wants to have the best possible typing experience? Who would have thought? It's the same for phones. To every reviewer Windows Phone's lack of apps is a dealbreaker, whereas most non-technical people I know wouldn't even notice (after all it has WhatsApp and Facebook).

Dead

well not really...yet
Reviewers seemed to cherry pick comparisons to down the SP3 wherever possible if they were already predisposed to dislike.

Reviewer: "Sure it's a tablet, but the iPad has more/better apps"
Microsoft: "Sure it doesn't have the selection/quality but it's a full blown PC!"
Reviewer: "Yeah, but the MacBook Air has a better keyboard"
Microsoft: "Yes, but it's also more portable, it even has a pen for notes and drawing"
Reviewer: "Well, sure it has a pen if you don't accidentally lose it."
Microsoft: "Well, your MacBook Air would have terrible battery life if you lost the charger.."
Reviewer:"But I wouldn't lose it because I like my MacBook Air"
Microsoft: "What do you people want?!?!?"

Not many reviewers care to talk about what a device does well/poorly in a universal sense. They talk about their personal use case and those that they are familiar with. Which is totally fine, I understand their personal bias and can interpret what I need.

It just stinks that 100% tech journalists are just tech journalists. None of them have productivity needs outside of word processing and web-use.
Microsoft need to be advertising this as a new product category entirely rather than shoehorning it into existing ones. I feel that message would be a lot clearer.

Schlep

Yeah. As you said, there is little said about how amazing the SP3 will be for taking notes in class with OneNote by typing, but still letting you pull out the pen and draw diagrams or write equations. Would've killed for that in my undergrad.

Or how in a meeting, being able to whiteboard with everyone instantly or pinch and zoom something to make it visible to the table sans projector.

While Microsoft's message may not have helped, the reviews wouldn't have turned out any differently, regardless.

Just because the device isn't right for the reviewer doesn't mean it's not the right device for you.

Moreover, professional tech reviewers are often not the target audience of certain devices. A professional writer wants to have the best possible typing experience? Who would have thought? It's the same for phones. To every reviewer Windows Phone's lack of apps is a dealbreaker, whereas most non-technical people I know wouldn't even notice (after all it has WhatsApp and Facebook).
If someone's paid professionally to review products, though, they should be able to step out of their own narrow view. I've gone back and forth between Apple, Microsoft, Android, and Linux for mobile and desktop. I could tell you the good points and bad points for each of them. I'm buying an SP3 tomorrow, but my girlfriend and I just got done buying a MacBook Air for her sister who's going to college, because we both recognize that it's probably the better device for someone in a literary field.

maeh2k

If someone's paid professionally to review products, though, they should be able to step out of their own narrow view.

You'd think so, but they usually can't.

my girlfriend and I just got done buying a MacBook Air for her sister who's going to college, because we both recognize that it's probably the better device for someone in a literary field.

Is it? She'll surely be very happy with it, but I'm not so sure it's the better device. I think the Surface Pro 3 is an outstanding device for college in general. The form factor + inking is well suited for carrying the device around all day, taking notes, and annotating documents.
I'd imagine that for a literary field the inking (annotating, highlighting...) is especially valuable, and as a tablet it should also work well for reading stuff on the device.

Schlep

Is it? She'll surely be very happy with it, but I'm not so sure it's the better device. I think the Surface Pro 3 is an outstanding device for college in general. The form factor + inking is well suited for carrying the device around all day, taking notes, and annotating documents.
I'd imagine that for a literary field the inking (annotating, highlighting...) is especially valuable, and as a tablet it should also work well for reading stuff on the device.
I think so. She's going to a school nationally ranked for their liberal arts programs, and she'll be writing a lot. Technically either of them could do word processing, browsing, etc. The difference comes in better battery life, bigger screen, better keyboard, and honestly her preference and fitting in a school that I'm sure is predominately Apple (at least going by all the Macs I saw around).

On the other hand, I'm going back to school in the Spring for an MBA where the SP3 clearly blows the MacBook out of the water in that field.

Does anyone know where the MS Store ships out from?

Got my tracking number. It's coming from Harrisburg PA. I'm in eastern Canada.

Zhengi

Got two emails that my Pro 3 and blue cover are shipping along with tracking numbers, but no info on the UPS website yet. Definitely excited :)

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I seriously feel like a kid at Christmas. I just want the day to be over so I can go to sleep and get my tablet in the morning :p

StudioTan

You are so lucky. My Surface 3 got vetoed by my boss (Wife). Enjoy. I will live vicariously through you and Neogaf.

I know the feel. I've been wanting to get one since the SP1 was announced. She said I could get whatever I wanted after we bought a new washer and dryer. We bought them earlier in the year so this sucker is mine LOL

Schlep

You are so lucky. My Surface 3 got vetoed by my boss (Wife). Enjoy. I will live vicariously through you and Neogaf.
I told my stepdad that I was going to get my MBA after five years in the working world. He instantly wrote me a $500 check to help out.

Just tell her you're gonna get your MBA if you get one!
1% chance lol

Top Bottom