• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

Surface 3 was a pretty easy choice for me as I know quite well what I need. I'm a fan of writing/planning projects on paper, so the pen + digitizer is great. I have a need for a quality display without a massive keyboard jutting out. It needs to be portable. I do programming work but most of the heavy lifting is done on external servers, so I don't need anything past an i5. The keyboard isn't top-notch, but it's good enough.

This product has been getting a lot of flak from tech journalists, but honestly they're not the best group to get opinions from. It seems like a lot of them are a bit disconnected from mainstream use cases for such machines. Not everyone needs to be whacking out hundreds of words while sitting in cramped press conference seats.

Paganmoon

You guys and your long wait. I just have to wait for August :(

End of August in Sweden, might as well be September :( We had a meeting with Microsoft about future products and services we might implement, and were promised the dock would release in Sweden this time around, same day as the tablet. At least something positive coming out of the wait.

kazinova

Now begins the endless refreshing of my email to see if I get a shipping tracker. I was fine until today, now I'm hyped and hoping I, too, will receive mine early.

I know better, knowing my luck I'll be waiting 'til the 23rd.

Even if I get the Surface early I have a red type cover that I won't be able to get until the 20th so I'll be pretty sad either way.

Deku Tree

Now begins the endless refreshing of my email to see if I get a shipping tracker. I was fine until today, now I'm hyped and hoping I, too, will receive mine early.

I know better, knowing my luck I'll be waiting 'til the 23rd.

Even if I get the Surface early I have a red type cover that I won't be able to get until the 20th so I'll be pretty sad either way.

You don't have push email enabled on your mobile device?

Animator

HOLY SHIT GUYS!

got a call from futureshop now, off to pick up SP3 256gb today. Check your best buys and MS shop, I think it's available earlier than Friday everywhere.

dem

Played with one for a bit at bestbuy last week

SP3 is some next level shit. The trackpad on the touchcover is soooo much better than before. I want one bad..

I'd get work to buy me one.. but no dual display out on the dock is ruining it for me.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Available before Friday? sweet. Someone let me know if this is indeed the case at Microsoft Store Toronto.

Animator

Fuck my life..

Held the box in my hands but when they scanned it it didn't show up in their system so they couldn't sell it. Hoping it's fixed by tomorrow :(

TxdoHawk

It's great that they are working on these fixes. I have to laugh at the whole argument about Microsoft being unfairly painted as a company that doesn't listen, though. When you're an artist with a huge fanbase and a vocal advocate of previous versions of the device and MS reps are handing you free product, it's not exactly shocking that your opinion gets some consideration.

I'm waiting for the i3 model

If there was a 128 GB i3 for $899 I'd probably go for it. 64 is gonna be too cramped for my use cases, even given the card slot. But I'm sure that's intentional, upselling and all that.

Unrelated: Does anyone know if the 10% discount for education is time-limited? This is looking more like a September buy, boring responsible adult purchases like car tires have moved to the front of the line.

Lynn616

Got to try one at Best Buy and it is great. Loved the screen, touch pad and keyboard. Pen worked better than I imagined. This is my next PC.

YaGaMi

Fuck my life..

Held the box in my hands but when they scanned it it didn't show up in their system so they couldn't sell it. Hoping it's fixed by tomorrow :(

I feel for you bro. Like a baby taken from its mother.

I want one but can't justify it since I bought a SP 1 a couple of months ago.

Apath

Unrelated: Does anyone know if the 10% discount for education is time-limited? This is looking more like a September buy, boring responsible adult purchases like car tires have moved to the front of the line.
Almost positive it's not a limited time deal.

Future

Anyone plan to have this in addition to other tablets on the market? I have an ipad and like their Eco system, but I want a windows portable for documents. I was looking at the ultra books at first, but I came across the surface pro 3 at best buy and it was a lot more impressive looking than I was expecting. Just not sure if it makes any sense to splurge on this when I was already planning on getting a next gen ipad to replace my aging ipad 2.

Are people getting the sense that this truly can be a laptop replacement?

kazinova

Mine shipped!

From MS Store or BBY?

My BBY order lists as status not available and is at Payment Validated (of the 4 step process--Order Received, Payment Validated, Preparing Order, Shipped) I'm hoping that they prep the order and ship tomorrow but I've got more than a feeling that I'm gonna be waiting a while.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
Anyone plan to have this in addition to other tablets on the market? I have an ipad and like their Eco system, but I want a windows portable for documents. I was looking at the ultra books at first, but I came across the surface pro 3 at best buy and it was a lot more impressive looking than I was expecting. Just not sure if it makes any sense to splurge on this when I was already planning on getting a next gen ipad to replace my aging ipad 2.

Why not?

For the people who had theirs ship, can you give us some details on your order.

Schlep

I have a 2nd gen Nexus 7 that I'm sure I'll keep. The 7" form factor is different enough to where it has some value to keeping around. I'd never own a 10"+ tablet in addition to the SP3, though. Once the N7 bites it, I doubt I'll get another one. Good product, but no need to keep refreshing two tablets.

My Surface Pro 2 has been a laptop replacement.

From MS Store or BBY?

My BBY order lists as status not available and is at Payment Validated (of the 4 step process--Order Received, Payment Validated, Preparing Order, Shipped) I'm hoping that they prep the order and ship tomorrow but I've got more than a feeling that I'm gonna be waiting a while.
From MS Store FYI

How much ssd space is taken by OS when you boot it for first time ?

Storage and RAM
64GB or 128GB storage with 4GB RAM / 256GB or 512GB storage with 8GB RAM2 • 64GB has >36GB available disk space • 128GB has >96GB available disk space • 256GB has >211GB available disk space • 512GB has >450GB available disk space

There are things you can remove to free up some space if needed too

Is there a way to easily transfer state between an existing Surface and a new one?

I'm thinking about the 3, but it'd be a pain in the ass to transfer all of my software and settings as well.

Animator

Turns out I have to wait for Friday before they can sell it. The street date embargos for electronics are the dumbest fucking thing. It is not like you can spoil the ending, if you have it in stock you should be able to sell it.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Turns out I have to wait for Friday before they can sell it. The street date embargos for electronics are the dumbest fucking thing. It is not like you can spoil the ending, if you have it in stock you should be able to sell it.

That sucks. I was hoping they sold it to you so I could go get one too :p Ah well, only 3 more days.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

lol I know right? I went to Yorkdale, Toronto Microsoft store and first they tease me by saying we are getting them tonight. And then they said but we can't sell it until Friday.

yll.gif

PG2G

Is there a way to easily transfer state between an existing Surface and a new one?

I'm thinking about the 3, but it'd be a pain in the ass to transfer all of my software and settings as well.

Modern applications should backup/sync via the cloud. Desktop applications I think you're on your own

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I had to re-order mine because of a credit card issue. Lost 4% on the fatwallet cash back. Sucks. Still, can't wait for Friday. Ordered a new case for it. Ready to go. Still not set on the black keyboard case... I normally like color.

Lucifon

Pricing of these things is so frustrating. I'd love to get one, but the cost is just far far too high, it's like apple tax levels of high here in the UK.

256gb 8gb RAM i5 model is $1,299.00 in the US, and £1,109 in the UK. Converted from USD to GBP that's £765ish - resulting in almost a 45% increase in price for us in the UK versus the US price. Add on 20% VAT and that's still £918. Not to mention all models are currently down for a 31/08/2014 release date here.

kazinova

itshappening.gif

My BBY order went from Payment Validated to Processing Order. If it ships today there's a sliver of hope that I won't be hugging a red Type Cover with no purpose.

The Lamp

So is there a consensus on whether to get the 2 or the 3? I really liked the 2 but when I saw the 3 had some downfalls as well as improvements, my decision to buy the next iteration became very difficult.

I don't own any surface pro products btw.

Airan

Pricing of these things is so frustrating. I'd love to get one, but the cost is just far far too high, it's like apple tax levels of high here in the UK.

256gb 8gb RAM i5 model is $1,299.00 in the US, and £1,109 in the UK. Converted from USD to GBP that's £765ish - resulting in almost a 45% increase in price for us in the UK versus the US price. Add on 20% VAT and that's still £918. Not to mention all models are currently down for a 31/08/2014 release date here.

Any differences aside from power plug that would prevent importing? That's quite a jump in price :(

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
lol I know right? I went to Yorkdale, Toronto Microsoft store and first they tease me by saying we are getting them tonight. And then they said but we can't sell it until Friday.

yll.gif

i called the ms store at square one, and the dude on the other line was. "well we wont have them till the 20th. but we might run out, you should pre order...like right now"

Top Bottom