• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

hwalker84

Not getting mine till next week due to a site we order at work not receiving them in their warehouse till tomorrow then having to ship it out. At least it only cost my company $1050 for the i5 + type cover.

KAOS

I don't know if I can wait for i7 versions. Is there any word on whether or not the i7 versions will come with intel hd 5000?

DaveH

Our entire office is getting them tomorrow and I'm excited.

However, I wonder how disappointed they're going to be when they realize the Dock doesn't come out until August and their intention was for these to replace all our desktops....

Nice. Just got my email delivery confirmation for tomorrow.

I'll stop by the MS store tomorrow and purchase the $250 insurance package (but reluctantly with the black type cover).

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Our entire office is getting them tomorrow and I'm excited.

However, I wonder how disappointed they're going to be when they realize the Dock doesn't come out until August and their intention was for these to replace all our desktops....

Wow. You work for a pretty awesome company.

I don't think the Dock will be an issue. It is a self contained device and if you need a bugger screen, all you need to do is connect it to a monitor.

Dead

well not really...yet
Most likely buying mine tomorrow. Hyped. Only confused between getting a Cyan type cover or a Red one from MS store

kazinova

So Best Buy order went from not processed at all to shipped this evening. Must have something to do with the pre release nature of the order. Although it got shipped express, so it says it will be delivered by 3pm tomorrow!

Now I have to figure out how to intercept the package since I won't be home at all tomorrow and the UPS depot isn't open on Saturday. Thinks I might leave a note to just leave the package and I'll run home a couple times during the day (I'm lucky I don't work far from home).

Fingers crossed.

Finally got to play with one today since my work finally set our demo up.

It just seemed so perfect as a device. It kind of got me thinking what type of improvements we'll see in the 4th gen release. I'm figuring;

Y series core processor over U series, which would eliminate fans, lower heat, improve battery life, and lessen the bulk/weight of the device. Intel needs to come out with a much stronger Y series chip for MS to consider this though.
PCIe (or mSATA) SSD instead of a 2.5" drive. Improves battery life (slightly) and would help reduce bulk/weight
Improved cameras/speakers
Two USB 3.0 ports?
Improved pen tech?
Full size SDXC port?
Higher res screen, although not necessary
Can't really think of much else. 8 gig RAM standard? 128 gig storage base model? SIM slot for LTE capabilities and carrier sales?

Future

Ugh. Went from not giving a shit to being amused by it in Best Buy to wondering if I need to pick this up tomorrow :p. Technically this is what I always wanted: a full computer with tablet apps and convenience. Huh.

If I wanted to play the occasional light weight game like League of Legends on an external monitor...the i5 would be enough right? I was thinking about getting the 8 gig of ram version

Animator

Ugh. Went from not giving a shit to being amused by it in Best Buy to wondering if I need to pick this up tomorrow :p. Technically this is what I always wanted: a full computer with tablet apps and convenience. Huh.

If I wanted to play the occasional light weight game like League of Legends on an external monitor...the i5 would be enough right? I was thinking about getting the 8 gig of ram version

Yea. The i5 is not slow by any means. Unless you are a hardcore gamer this thing has enough horsepower to handle anything you throw at it really.

Future

Sweet. Was worried when I saw above someone talking about having problems running wow. I don't play wow anyway

Yeah about 50 50 I head to the Microsoft store tomorrow and pick one up. In the market for a laptop, and the screen on this thing was impressing the hell out of me in the store. Might be because my aging iPad 2 :p all I need is something I can be productive on and play the occasional PC exclusive like league.

dhlt25

got to try out one at the microsoft store today and it's really slick. Everything is buttery smooth, the keyboard feels nice and the touchpad very functional. The writing is also amazing, day and night different from my note 3. I'll wait for the broadwell refresh before jumping in but this is the computer I've always wanted

Animator

Alright GAF looking forward to your impressions tomorrow. Gonna pick up mine at noon so I can do a write up of how all the professional 3d and 2d apps run sometime this weekend.

Apparently there is a day one patch for the SP3 but not sure what it fixes.

Feep

Banned
MIcrosoft gave me another Surface Pro 3 today, because apparently they just *have too many of them*.

256 / 8 version, still i5 though. Gonna see if the bumped RAM makes a difference when running Unity...but probably not, since the editor is still 32 bit. = P

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I don't know if I can wait for i7 versions. Is there any word on whether or not the i7 versions will come with intel hd 5000?

This info was why I changed my preorder from the i5 to the i7. I'm twitching in anticipation now that people are getting their i5s though :(

Lucius86

Banned
MIcrosoft gave me another Surface Pro 3 today, because apparently they just *have too many of them*.

256 / 8 version, still i5 though. Gonna see if the bumped RAM makes a difference when running Unity...but probably not, since the editor is still 32 bit. = P

I'm happy to swap my SP2 8GB 256GB model for your SP3 if it's burdening you too much with the extra screen estate you have taking up your valuable space...

Very happy for all of you getting a SP3 over the coming days.

Can You share some impressions how comfortable is working in unity on SP3 ?

Anony

the fuck, fucking microsoft

still mad about being a early sp1 adopter
we should have got some sort of trade in program

kazinova

Managed to stop by the UPS depot this morning before work, now I have to sit here all day knowing my SP3 is just out in my trunk. I'm sure I'll go play with it at lunch instead of eating. So lucky the UPS guy was willing to go snag it off the truck it was on before they left.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Ntrig has posted new drivers.

From Surface Pro Artists blog:

According to N-Trig's Ronen Bartal, the company confirmed that the following software is compatible with these drivers:

Anime Studio Debut 9.5 Version 9.5 build 9768
Crayola PhotoFx studio 1 Version 1.5.0.42, 1.5.0.46
Flash Professional CC Version 13.1.0.226
Adobe Flash Professional CS6 Version CS6
Corel Painter Version 12.2.0.703
Sculptris
MyPaint Version 1.0.0
Mischief Version 1.12
Zbrush Version 4R6
Adobe DreamWeaverCS6 Version CS6
Adobe Photoshop element 12 Version 12.0.20130925
Krita Version 2.8.3
Substance Painter Version 0.5.0

Awesome news.

damn! my girlfriend (and subsequently i) has been really fortunate to be given a surface pro 1 and separately a surface rt 2 because of the art that she produces but we're both so, so excited for the pro 3.

TKR92

Managed to stop by the UPS depot this morning before work, now I have to sit here all day knowing my SP3 is just out in my trunk. I'm sure I'll go play with it at lunch instead of eating. So lucky the UPS guy was willing to go snag it off the truck it was on before they left.

Good for you :)

BTW, waiting is killing me.

Animator

The os is 64 bit so there is more ram available to unity on the 8 gb version.

Mines in town at the customs.

4863195+_094d7973de65ca7b6e11253a00e7b46c.jpg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Microsoft accidentally confirms existence of Surface Mini with stylus support

Microsoft has never confirmed the existence of such a device, but a new Surface Pro 3 user manual posted online at the company’s site includes a number of references to the smaller tablet.

"You’ll pair your new pen with Surface Mini a little later during setup," suggests one section on the new Surface Pen, while two other parts of the user manual reference the Surface Mini when using OneNote and the rotation lock features of Windows 8.

RTZ4lw9.gif

Ugh, looks like Microsoft pulled the SP3 user guide off the site (presumably to remove the leftover Surface Mini references).

I don't care about the Mini rumors, I just wanted to read the guide at work while I refresh my UPS tracking page. :(

Top Bottom