• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Just got back from MS store

WP_20140620_12_20_45_Raw.jpg

PG2G

I thought the rumor was it was pushed back until the touch friendly version of office is read? That it was already in production?

Is it completely cancelled?

The rumors were that it wasn't differentiated enough from the stuff OEMs were putting out so there was no point in releasing it

Animator

Thanks. My roommate had a spare one lying around, but if it doesn't work as a "cover" might as well get the new one.

Fuck it, Best Buy here I come.

You might as well because the new one is a million times better for the new angle alone.

One of us! :D

harSon

Banned
Just got back from Best Buy. The lady said I was like the 8th person to buy one since the store opened between 10-11pm.

Pretty damn sexy device so far.

For those of you wondering,

The surface pro 3 works with the Apple 27" LED Cinema Display (the original pro did not)

Plugged right in, it was picked up immediately and outputted to the display perfectly.

This always bugged me on some level (about the pro 1) since the ACD is pretty much the only monitor that uses mini displayport and it didn't work with the surface pro's mini-displayport output. Glad they have this sorted out on the 3.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I got mine! I ended up spending a little extra and getting the one with 8 gigs RAM and 256 gigs of storage. I've gone cheap before and regretted it. I'm sure I'll end up needing the extra RAM.

I bought it at the Best Buy near me but they didn't have the cyan cover so I ended up driving to the Yorkdale MS store just to buy the cover. Again, if I'm going to have this for a while I may as well get the cover I want.

The guy at the MS store said they've been selling really really well and they even had a line this morning.

Now of course I have to spend all day installing software and waiting for the thing to charge.

Heysoos

I got mine! I ended up spending a little extra and getting the one with 8 gigs RAM and 256 gigs of storage. I've gone cheap before and regretted it. I'm sure I'll end up needing the extra RAM.

I bought it at the Best Buy near me but they didn't have the cyan cover so I ended up driving to the Yorkdale MS store just to buy the cover. Again, if I'm going to have this for a while I may as well get the cover I want.

The guy at the MS store said they've been selling really really well and they even had a line this morning.

Now of course I have to spend all day installing software and waiting for the thing to charge.

At my Best Buy we had a customer come in looking to buy all 12 of our 128s. heh

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
MS online store is pretty bad... I called to see if my SP3 had already shipped. She goes, "okay, let me check". I then wait FIFTEEN MINUTES. Some comes back and says "please give it until the end of the day." I said, "Did it ship? Website says it didn't ship. Can you give me a tracking number?" She just kept repeating "please wait until the end of the day, we can help you then." I don't think she was understanding me. If it wasn't for fatwallet, I'd just cancel and buy local.

JaggedSac

I've noticed the online store doesn't have much visibility into anything regarding the statuses of packages. I've run into that issue on multiple occasions with them. Soooo irritating.

Let me know how it is SurfaceGAF. I'm still on the fence mainly because I'm being a cheap ass but will buy anything if it's without a doubt worth it. Looking into one for web design.

BeforeU

Just got back from Best Buy. The lady said I was like the 8th person to buy one since the store opened between 10-11pm.

Pretty damn sexy device so far.

I know right? God damn engineering at its best.

MS online store is pretty bad... I called to see if my SP3 had already shipped. She goes, "okay, let me check". I then wait FIFTEEN MINUTES. Some comes back and says "please give it until the end of the day." I said, "Did it ship? Website says it didn't ship. Can you give me a tracking number?" She just kept repeating "please wait until the end of the day, we can help you then." I don't think she was understanding me. If it wasn't for fatwallet, I'd just cancel and buy local.

ohh man that sucks, some reps are idiots.

How is this thing SO LIGHT. It's incredible.

Yeah man, I can't believe there is a Intel i7 and 512GB model. They squeezed all that into this with great battery life. Its just insane.

Can you play League on this?

Yes, my friend used to play on Surface Pro 1. Not sure at what setting though.

Enron

Banned
man, kinda wish i had one now instead of this SP1 but definitely unwilling to pay 1000, 1300, or 1900 for this. 470 dollar SP1 will have to suffice for a while!

BeforeU

I have literally no complain on the device it self so far. Though I am not a huge fan of the this new pen. Hopefully I will never have to replace the battery any time soon. And there is no proper spot to keep the pen on your surface. Beside that, loving this device.

I am still on the fence though, should I replace this with the 8GB model? Currently I have 4GB/128GB model. It just too damn expensive.

BeforeU

man, kinda wish i had one now instead of this SP1 but definitely unwilling to pay 1000, 1300, or 1900 for this. 470 dollar SP1 will have to suffice for a while!

oh yeah definitely. Don't feel bad. I have been using Pro 1 since day one. Used the shit out of that device in my final year university. The only reason I got this was because my sister took mine.

While Pro 3 is super light and screen is bigger and better than Pro 1. It definitely doesn't justify if you already have Pro 1. For people who have decent laptop and carry tablet. This thing is a heaven. Also for students. If you already have Pro 1 and Pro 2 don't jump ship yet.

Lunzio

How do y'all like the keyboard so far?

Tried it out at a MS booth and Best Buy today and my only concern is that it has a little too much give

BeforeU

How do y'all like the keyboard so far?

Tried it out at a MS booth and Best Buy today and my only concern is that it has a little too much give

Its pretty solid. Combines best of SP1 and SP2.
For me this is how I rank the type covers.
SP3 > SP1 > SP2

Mine has frozen 3 times just within a few minutes of a reset. I hear there's an update so I'll install when I get home and see if that resolves the issue. Off to MS store to get insurance bundle.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Got the newest version of Photoshop installed, I guess they released it 2 days ago, I have the $10/month sub that comes with Lightroom. Drawing feels really good with the pen however I do think they need to allow us to adjust the pressure curve. The touch controls in PS are awesome, SO handy. Pinch to zoom, 2 finger twist, 2 finger scroll and double tap 2 fingers to zoom to fit. I can't figure out how to change to the bigger UI yet, it's really tiny on this screen.

MooMoo

Got the newest version of Photoshop installed, I guess they released it 2 days ago, I have the $10/month sub that comes with Lightroom. Drawing feels really good with the pen however I do think they need to allow us to adjust the pressure curve. The touch controls in PS are awesome, SO handy. Pinch to zoom, 2 finger twist, 2 finger scroll and double tap 2 fingers to zoom to fit. I can't figure out how to change to the bigger UI yet, it's really tiny on this screen.
Try this maybe: Edit > Preferences > Experimental Features > Scale UI 200% for high-density displays.

Also really jealous of you guys :p I have a Pro 1 but can't really afford upgrading to a Pro 3 at the moment. Hope you guys are enjoying it, you lucky bastards!

Animator

Try this maybe: Edit > Preferences > Experimental Features > Scale UI 200% for high-density displays.

Also really jealous of you guys :p I have a Pro 1 but can't really afford upgrading to a Pro 3 at the moment. Hope you guys are enjoying it, you lucky bastards!

Yea it is this. Hopefully they will add a slider to adjust the UI scale in the future.

Can't wait to get home from work and install all my apps on the SP3. This is going to be one productive weekend for me :)

Apath

The touch pad on the TC3 is night and day compared to the one on the TC2. Still a little iffy, but at least it's not completely unusable.

StudioTan

Yeah thanks, I figured it out right after posting. The stupid thing is I had to go into that section to turn on the touch controls and didn't even notice that setting, for some reason I thought it was a toggle somewhere. Much easier to use now.

EDIT: I need to add that the new kickstand is a killer feature. I can get the exact tilt I want for comfortable drawing and once it's positioned it doesn't move unless I really press down. It's basically a portable Cintiq which is exactly what I've been wanting. I had an EP121 but it was really heavy and it was hard to find a comfortable working situation for it. This device kicks ass.

Top Bottom