• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to create Xbox-PC joint code base

Halo

MICROSOFT TOLD me today at the ECTS show in London's Earls Court that it is preparing plans to make a common code base for PC games and for the Xbox, a shift from its past strategy. Whether this means that the Xbox II and future PCs will use the same code base is still unclear, however.
Microsoft, with the first iteration of its Xbox machine, made things so that it could sell different products on its hardware, although the usual protests were heard that it was just attempting to milk consumers. It appears that Microsoft has listened to such plaints, and is considering a different direction in the future.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18204

jarrod

Banned
They're attempting to unify PC/Xenon development using XNA as a layer... given PC friendly development seems to be one of XBox's big advantages, they don't want to lose that in the architecture shift to Xenon. Good move.

Prine

Banned
jarrod said:
They're attempting to unify PC/Xenon development using XNA as a layer... given PC friendly development seems to be one of XBox's big advantages, they don't want to lose that in the architecture shift to Xenon. Good move.

Agreed.

One thing i love about the Xbox is its western and PC developer support, id like to see this strong support continue with Xenon.

Joe

i think it'll be a real nice advantage for MS. a developer can make a game for 2 platforms at once. kill two incredibly big birds with one stone.

Phoenix

The real question isn't whether or not a developer can hit both platforms at the same time (because for the most part they already can with DirectX), its whether or not publishers will start releasing content for both platforms at the same time.

jarrod

Banned
Joe said:
i think it'll be a real nice advantage for MS. a developer can make a game for 2 platforms at once. kill two incredibly big birds with one stone.
But what if Nintendo adopts OpenMax? Then it'll be PS3/Revolution vs Xenon/PC. o_O

Che

Banned
Halo said:
openGL is a joke to most professional programmers

Actually I know that too. My dad had a friend who's wife is related to a programmer. And he said that.

GIR

Banned
Halo said:
openGL is a joke to most professional programmers
yep SGI came up with the whole OpenGL thing because they are masters of comedy, not because they needed an API for their rather beastly visualisation systems such as the Onyx4.

BuddyC

banner.jpg

Sysgen

seismologist said:
I'm thinking the same thing. MS could be inadvertently shooting themselves in the foot.

The PC will eventually move into your living room (if it's not already there).... where the Xbox (and soon to be Xenon) is right now. How are they shooting themselves in the foot?

I dont know. I just dont get what they're attempting with this. I agree that the PC will move into the living room especially now that HD displays are getting so popular.

So what's the point of Xbox and PC being compatible?

Sysgen

seismologist said:
I dont know. I just dont get what they're attempting with this. I agree that the PC will move into the living room especially now that HD displays are getting so popular.

Well (and I am thinking very high level). If the PC moves into the living room where MS already has it's console positioned, couldn't lets say Dell sell you a PC or Xenon compatible device. MS will make the Xenon. I believe they really don't want to make a hybrid. Therefore they get Panasonic, Dell etc... to make the hybrid for them. MS makes money off of software not hardware. You buy the Xenon game no matter what you have and you don't buy the PS3 or Revolution game.

FightyF

Banned
But what if Nintendo adopts OpenMax? Then it'll be PS3/Revolution vs Xenon/PC. o_O

Well even if all the next gen consoles are extremely different, Renderware could still be ported to each console and used. Any developers wanting to make multiplatform titles can still use the next gen iteration of Renderware.

BuddyC

seismologist said:

Hey developers! Wanna make an Xbox game and then easy-port it to the PC?

Also: hey developers! Wanna get used to our new toolset on your last Xbox game so that you're more proficient with them for your first Xbox2 title?

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Hey developers
wake up from your asleep
we have arrive in the future
everything is electronic

Phoenix

Duckhuntdog said:
So why does Carmack swear by GL???

And motion picture effects studios, and 3D tool manus outside of Kinetix, and most government simulation, and OpenGL ES being the only standard 3d rendering API available for mobile devices, and the fact that its the 3D graphics API that covers ALL platforms ( Solaris, AIX, Linux, SGI, Mac, Windows, cellphones, setop boxes, etc).

Top Bottom