• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Windows 8 BUILD Conference 2011 |OT| 9/13-9/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

MThanded said:
So they did nothing with the standard interface. Looks the same.
That's historically the last thing to be implemented

MThanded said:
7 was a huge step up from Vista because Vista was a terrible OS.

Windows 7 was the first decent Microsoft OS IMO.
Server and WHS have been great, as well as WP7

JaggedSac

Beowulf28 said:
Competition for Steam?

Why would a dev use Steam(or any other distributor for that matter) over a marketplace that has 0 royalties and a larger audience. Only reason would be if you wanted Mac owners to be able to get it from the service.

And since they obviously have an Xbox Live app(although, this could just be an app to view you avatar, friends lists, etc), everyone with a Live account has access to friends lists and such.

Korey

This is embarrassing.

Up button on explorer? Wallpapers and taskbars spanning multiple monitors? Right click on a tile and then the options are at the bottom right?

The confusing and fragmented approach to metro and aero is a good metaphor for Microsoft as a company I think

bananas

Banned
Korey said:
This is embarrassing.

Up button on explorer? Wallpapers spanning multiple monitors? Right click on a tile and then the options are at the bottom right?

The confusing and fragmented approach to metro and aero is a good metaphor for Microsoft as a company I think

What?

Walshicus

Korey said:
This is embarrassing.

Up button on explorer? Wallpapers and taskbars spanning multiple monitors? Right click on a tile and then the options are at the bottom right?

Embarassing to who? This is brilliant.

wwm0nkey

JaggedSac said:
Why would a dev use Steam(or any other distributor for that matter) over a marketplace that has 0 royalties and a larger audience. Only reason would be if you wanted Mac owners to be able to get it from the service.

And since they obviously have an Xbox Live app(although, this could just be an app to view you avatar, friends lists, etc), everyone with a Live account has access to friends lists and such.
So its been confirmed they will collect 0 royalties right? If so someone make a topic about that on the gaming side because that is huge for game developers

Korey said:
This is embarrassing.

Embarrassing? Shit's amazing.

Totakeke

Wonder how far you can customize the themes as compared to Windows Phone, this picture pretty much shows there's no restrictions on themes I think.

03s7g.jpg

http://www.istartedsomething.com/20110914/windows-8-101-tips-tricks-for-new-start-experience/

Vestal

Korey said:
This is embarrassing.

Let me guess, Mac or Linux user...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Korey said:
This is embarrassing.

I'm having difficulty figuring out what's wrong with all of these things.

Korey said:
This is embarrassing.

Aero still looks like shit, but everything I'm seeing today is awesome. I had concerns with m&k interaction but they're taking care of that as I type this.

JaggedSac

wwm0nkey said:
So its been confirmed they will collect 0 royalties right? If so someone make a topic about that on the gaming side because that is huge for game developers

lol, no, it hasn't been confirmed. I was just going by what someone replied to me with. I assumed they said it during the conference.

Tuck

Korey said:
This is embarrassing.

What? Besides Aero, this looks amazing.

DavieC726

MThanded said:
So they did nothing with the standard interface. Looks the same.

They wanted to keep the standard interface the same for the common computer morons who don't know how to adapt to change. They are bringing out the ribbons for explorer, but that seems to be the only major UI change.

Zombie James said:
Aero still looks like shit, but everything I'm seeing today is awesome. I had concerns with m&k interaction but they're taking care of that as I type this.

Its the interface more common users know, its going to look like crap for all of time.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
wwm0nkey said:
Yeah if it's 0 royalties Valve just got omgwtfbbqowned. Hell no reason for Origin either. I wonder how patches would work though.

artist

Banned
Korey said:
This is embarrassing.

I think they might change it by the time W8 goes RTM. But it does look sort of fragmented.

Weenerz

Banned
So we get to download this tonight or is it going to be open for developers only? Does a developer want to hook a weenerz up? :p

DavieC726

Weenerz said:
So we get to download this tonight or is it going to be open for developers only? Does a developer want to hook a weenerz up? :p

You can download it, just need a Live ID. ....If i'm wrong then you know its going to leak!

clav

Pen confirmed.

Weenerz said:

Check OP. You need a Live ID (e.g. MSN, Hotmail account).

Korey

enzo_gt said:
I'm having difficulty figuring out what's wrong with all of these things.
Up button was a feature in XP (and probably before that) that was TAKEN OUT in Windows Vista that nobody can figure out why.

Spanning wallpapers and taskbars is a completely basic feature that 7 should have had that other programs have done since since the jurassic park era

What happens when you right click something in Windows 7? The options open where your mouse is. Not on the other side of the screen.
Vestal said:
Let me guess, Mac or Linux user...
You'd be wrong.

leadbelly

Banned
brotkasten said:
GFWL is now Xbox Live.

bwx46a0tjunq40r20.jpg

Buy games, or buy XBL games with avatar crap and achievements.

E: SECOND FUCKING TASKBAR! YES YES YES!

Does it have the awesome pay-money-to-play-online feature?

Totakeke

JaggedSac said:
lol, no, it hasn't been confirmed. I was just going by what someone replied to me with. I assumed they said it during the conference.

Here's my source.

Paul Thurrott: Biggest point of Windows Store: Microsoft is NOT taking a 30 percent cut. It will take a ZERO percent cut.

But of course it could be different for games? Maybe? No?

artist

Banned
ivedoneyourmom said:
Has MS announced that Win 8 is going get SUSv3 certification? If not, don't you think it is about time?
I dont know how important a feature its for MS and if they're going to talk about it in this keynote.

alphaNoid

Banned
Man all these roaming Live account settings are really telling of how they are going to handle their Xbox Live infrastructure going forward.

clav

chaoticprout said:
I interned at Microsoft this summer working on one of those "Metro-styled" apps. Very cool to see this stuff come out now!
I want to intern there, but I didn't major in CS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom