• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Windows 8 BUILD Conference 2011 |OT| 9/13-9/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphaNoid

Banned
Tuck said:
The metro sections look great. but the fact that you are bumped back to the desktop when you use a mouse seems weird. Like they only did half their job. This is my next commented on this as well. It should be better integrated - all metro.
You can use the mouse while in metro. Optionally you can drop out of metro the desktop anytime you want, and they need this feature to support legacy x86 applications etc.. Not having a standard desktop would make the OS useless for everything existing.

It makes sense to do it the way they are.

Tuck said:
Yeah I know that. Bad wording on my part. I'm taking issue with the fact that the desktop is still present in basically the same form as Windows 7. Granted, there is still room for change, but it is weird that they keep showing these two drastically different, poorly integrated methods of control.
They need to show it. Look at how people in this very thread asked if this OS is just for tablets or not.

LCfiner

scorcho said:
i actually have that fear for ARM chips. i reckon the performance of the i5 core chip in that tablet is leagues ahead of Atom spec-wise, and paired with SSD would make for a snappy system.

i'm not sure if ARM can scale up to offer a comparable performance within the next year, and even if it does it might be forced to scale to a much higher TDP that would render its traditional benefits over x86 moot.

the reason why I'm not worried about the ARM hardware is because the stuff written directly for metro with the HTML and JS should run speedily on that hardware (i can't imagine MS releasing metro apps that run poorly on ARM). and I suspect that people buying the ARM tablet will not be looking for traditional windows apps - the ones more likely to run slowly on the slower hardware.

I suppose there is a chance that someone less informed could buy the "wrong" tablet hardware and get performance issues they don't expect but that's probably going to be mitigated by MS and vendors doing some serious branding to differentiate the hardware types.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The fastboot was on a device with an ssd correct?

Also they are finally using UEFI. Welcome to the present Microsoft.

Tuck

alphaNoid said:
You can use the mouse while in metro. Optionally you can drop out of metro the desktop anytime you want, and they need this feature to support legacy x86 applications etc.. Not having a standard desktop would make the OS useless for everything existing.

It makes sense to do it the way they are.

This is true, I suppose. It just seems like it could be integrated much better than 'Windows 7 (With changes) inside Windows 8'

JaggedSac

Driving back to work I got to thinking about how the new Marketplace is going to affect things.

One, being that apps are going to be really platform independent, the apps being made for the massive Windows audience is going to give a huge shot in the arm to WP. Should be interesting to see how that plays out.

Two, Steam and other digital game distributors could take a huge hit depending on the royalties MS wants for listing your app on the marketplace. The huge audience and ubiquity of the marketplace means it will be the first place to release your game, at least indy games. No wonder they haven't given a crap about GFWL with this thing on the horizon. Make XBox Live APIs available to devs and open up some Contracts for it and you have a beast.

MThanded said:
The fastboot was on a device with an ssd correct?

Also they are finally using UEFI. Welcome to the present Microsoft.

You need UEFI and an SSD for that few seconds of boot time. It still will be faster with an ordinary HDD, but my next mainboard will definitely have UEFI. Bios is holding my SSD back, when it comes to boot time. :lol

alphaNoid

Banned
Did they just hand out 5000 win8 developer tablets? o_O
LLShC.gif
fml

Totakeke

JaggedSac said:
Two, Steam and other digital game distributors could take a huge hit depending on the royalties MS wants for listing your app on the marketplace. The huge audience and ubiquity of the marketplace means it will be the first place to release your game, at least indy games. No wonder they haven't given a crap about GFWL with this thing on the horizon. Make XBox Live APIs available to devs and open up some Contracts for it and you have a beast.

0% cut for W8 marketplace.

Chris R

The tears from various users on ADF websites around the web are kinda funny to see. I don't understand why they can't see the difference between say an iPad 2 and one of these tablets that are actually running a full operating system capable of real running real computing applications. Both devices have a place in this world :(

Looks like they're metro-fying the UI bit for bit. I hope they'll remove all the shades of grey that are still in there.

:lol @ minimized ribbon

artist

Banned
RubxQub said:
Nothing gets me harder than looking at task manager's memory allocation charts...

...show me actual performance! COME ON! I WANT THE SEX!
Start fapping buddy. New Task manager being demo'ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom