• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Sanctuary

This is probably the WORST digital download I've ever seen

Game lets you play the intro then says NEED MORE CONTENT to install.

Took HOURS to download because PSN is pretty much shit

Never a digital game again

I wish I could start playing a game on PC before it's even 20% installed. Man, I think I'm gonna stop buying games on Steam because this game took me THREE hours to download. The horror...
If you can pick up a physical copy whenever you want, even on release day then I wouldn't blame you. I would too, but have you never downloaded a game digitally before?

This is probably the WORST digital download I've ever seen

Game lets you play the intro then says NEED MORE CONTENT to install.

Took HOURS to download because PSN is pretty much shit

Never a digital game again

I picked it up from Target on my way home from work and got a $10 gift card.

I thought the
stealth section
was the final boss and was disappointed. But the actual final battle was a bit better. The ending overall was pretty solid, story-wise.

Experien

Just beat this game...I like it. Got most of the stuff done outside the Rebellion things and a few small trophies but I got all the upgrades for the weapons and I am too powerful.

The final two missions/boss/fights were a joke. I had 5 Warchiefs and made the lead up to the battles laughable and then the fights were pitiful if you can call them fights.

The first stealth part was stupid.
I even got caught twice cause I wasn't paying attention to what to do and barely took any health off me (health wasn't fully upgraded yet). The only hard/challenging part is trying to navigate the area. I did like the look and vibe of this area but it is empty so felt lazy or not much effort was put into fleshing it out.
put creatures in the cages to grab you and to notify the Tower you are there
to make it an actual challenge.

Then the final mission...that was almost about as much of a mission as those "Command your Warchief" missions that they just walk out for you to command them. My advice before doing the last mission is maybe not have 5 Warchiefs (if they allow that) if you want a challenge. Otherwise it is silly and another pathetic final mission/fight that isn't one.

Probably will still Platinum it, I think the Caragor/Slave trophy is going to be the only hard one.

Just beat this game...I like it. Got most of the stuff done outside the Rebellion things and a few small trophies but I got all the upgrades for the weapons and I am too powerful.

The final two missions/boss/fights were a joke. I had 5 Warchiefs and made the lead up to the battles laughable and then the fights were pitiful if you can call them fights.

The first stealth part was stupid.
I even got caught twice cause I wasn't paying attention to what to do and barely took any health off me (health wasn't fully upgraded yet). The only hard/challenging part is trying to navigate the area. I did like the look and vibe of this area but it is empty so felt lazy or not much effort was put into fleshing it out.
put creatures in the cages to grab you and to notify the Tower you are there
to make it an actual challenge.

Then the final mission...that was almost about as much of a mission as those "Command your Warchief" missions that they just walk out for you to command them. My advice before doing the last mission is maybe not have 5 Warchiefs (if they allow that) if you want a challenge. Otherwise it is silly and another pathetic final mission/fight that isn't one.

Probably will still Platinum it, I think the Caragor/Slave trophy is going to be the only hard one.

The battle before the end was surprisingly easy. I thought I'd need to really fight, but my warchiefs did most of the damage for me.

And yeah, the stealth section sucked.

Hystzen

BzWQVC2IAAEXEGz.jpg:large

Hearing Celebrimbor say DOUCHE RAT is cracking me up

Aske

Just noticed I've put in 29 hours without even hitting the second area. I keep telling myself I'll do the mission that opens it up next time, but then I get sidetracked by the infinite army of procedurally generated scumbags that must be sent death threats, humiliated in front of their bros, poisoned, burnt, shot, blown-up, torn to pieces, covered in flies, sliced and diced, or cerebrally burst with ghost power.

How great is the stronghold design in this game? It's amazing. And how am I not sick of murdering orcs yet? Still abstaining from health upgrades, but I just turned off combat prompts and alert indicators to increase the challenge a bit. Glad I did. It ups the difficulty to exactly where I want it, and massively increases the immersion.

I wish there was a stat screen to show me exactly how many kills I've made; ideally with a list of names of every dead captain.

This game...This game!

Hystzen

Uruk Captain on my new game no upgrade run

yes he lives upto the crazy title

hearing something shout BUTTONS or STICKY GLUE made me think WTF

unfortunately after retreating 5 times he fell by grog explosion, hopefully he returns with a bag on his head and shouting his random shit

Ooccoo

What speed do you expect from PSN exactly? Even if Sony gave you a full 25mbps pipe from their server, you're still only going to get 11GB of data per hour.

It's been downloading for more than 8 hours and haven't finished yet. It's at 50%

The signal is at around 70% so the problem is really the PS4/PSN wi-fi. In my PC room I download full games in <1 hour even if they are big. For the record, my PC is not wired, it's also Wi-Fi.

Corpsepyre

Banned
The second area just opened up and the framerate plummeted. The benchmark was a joke, honestly. Getting 40-45 fps now, down from 60-70.

Great game so far. Loving every bit. Hoping for some big boss fights soon though.

Finally killed my first Captain, then got killed by another. Also, trying not to kill Intel guys when being surrounded sucks ass lol.

Corgi

Banned
how do you do the betrayal thing like in that mission where you betray a warchief?

Am I suppose to send my captain to there and press a for 'betrayal' or do I just do the warchief mission, and press up dpad during it?

how do you do the betrayal thing like in that mission where you betray a warchief?

Am I suppose to send my captain to there and press a for 'betrayal' or do I just do the warchief mission, and press up dpad during it?

The captain needs to be a bodyguard first I think. Then just command the bodyguard(by grabbing him ike usual) to betray his warchief.

...took me THREE hours to download. The horror...
If you can pick up a physical copy...

Mine took about 48 hours to download from Steam. The joys of sharing cable with 125 apartments.

Was going to save the time with NBA 2K15 and go physical, but there's no disc and just a Steam key in the box.

Also finished here...
the stealth branding on the second last scene was so lame. Then the last fight as a QTE was even worse. Like the devs ran out of ideas or time toward the end.

Aske

Finally killed my first Captain, then got killed by another. Also, trying not to kill Intel guys when being surrounded sucks ass lol.

Yep, trying not to kill worms in the middle of a brawl is a fun little emergent mini-game.

This reminds me of a recent Mordor tale. I had a favourite captain I was trying to push. Skûn the Raven. Dude had a crazy beak-mask, black feathered wings on his arms, and favoured the crossbow. Like a guardian angel, I killed his enemies, made sure his executions and feasts went as planned, let him not-kill me a couple of times (he was the type to walk away in disgust), and generally acted like a benevolent deity to this dude. I dug his look, I dug his Norse name. He was a solid captain.

Then one day I was a-wandering the rolling crags of Mordor when I came upon a trio of orcs. I felt like playing with them just for the sport of it. I snuck up behind them and stealth killed one of the three. Slow-mo kill cam: You Killed Skûn the Raven.

Now I know exactly what it feels like to be a Zeus: all plans and favours, and then whoops...guess I need a new favourite.

RIP in pieces, Skûn. Hope to see you again, but I think you've gone to the great slave-pit in the sky.

I love how Shadow of Mordor creates legit micro-narratives within the framework of the game. This thread is loaded with examples. I feel like this is what Skyrim always promised and never really delivered on; but a combination of the Nemesis system, the flexible gameplay, and the superb procedurally generated orcs lets Shadow of Mordor breed stories in the same way we create anecdotes in real life. It's seamless and organic; never forced, and never contrived. Mind-blowing stuff.

Pandacon

I have found it joyful grabbing a captain and then just letting his buddies slash him to death. I dunno, just something humorous about it.

Thanks to Remachinate, I have now experienced combat against a Combat Master / Invulnerable to Ranged / Invulnerable to Stealth captain. It was a tense ten minutes, but I managed to stealthily exploit his fear of betrayal and kill him, avenging poor Remachinate's defeat.

Monolith really needs to implement a NG+ with maxed out captains or something. It would be so fun!

rbanke

I've been playing this off and in all week. I've put in about 6 hours total and just cannot get into it. It feels tedious so far and any time I try to play around with the systems it always just ends up with tons of orcs around me and eventual death. I've killed quite a few captains but it just feels like hollow victories since they just keep coming back. I've done the story up until
saving ratbag from the twin
and that's also been a bit dull. Although I do like that character. I really want to like the game but unfortunately just can't find a hook yet. I'm gonna keep on trucking though, hopefully it clicks.

ManCannon

Monolith really needs to implement a NG+ with maxed out captains or something. It would be so fun!

This.

I'm like 20+ hours into it and I'm trying to drag it out as I know the end is near but I'm running out of things to do... Once all 5 tiers are unlocked, 'Power' seems irrelevant so no reason to really do any of the power struggle missions anymore. It doesn't feel like you have to activate the blue missions to help your minions out once you're in control of the board. All but one Warchief in area 2 are under my control as is pretty much every captain on the roster.

I guess I could farm for better runes? Get the last two upgrade skills I'll likely never use? :)

I don't get the attitude towards the prisoner rescue missions - I found them all pretty fun and easy, tons of upgrade points.

The hunter missions in area 2 were pretty fun, wish I had completed even sooner for the added fun abilities they grant you.

Overall I could really go for a NG+/hardcore mode that really ups the difficulty. I've yet to die from any Uruk's as I've never found myself in a situation I couldn't handle or at a minimum escape from and then cheese from stealth. I've had a few cheap instances with captains teleporting in during a fight as others have stated but in each case they were MY captains so it all worked out. :)

I love the game, have really enjoyed it, just not sure I've got a compelling reason to buy DLC for it if it's only more of the same.

Ramenman

Just got to the second area, it's gorgeous !

There's a feeling of dread at the beginning of entering a new map where the whole army of sauron is entirely unknown, it's a good change of pace after I spent something like 15 hours in the first map and started to really know my way around the land and the captains.

Also, the
hunting
missions are awesome, they also feature the only character I enjoy seeing cutscenes/dialogues with (as opposed to just watching/listening without much interest whatsoever). And the skills they give are glorious of course.

I found out that some collectibles are pieces of a puzzle, so I'm totally picking those up now. Weird brain-thing where I didn't really care for them when they were just individual object+diaries.

Just got Brand. Things are going to get even better :D

I love this game so much.

iJudged

Banned
I've been playing it since day 1 and only now I got to the second area. I am just having way too much fun with this game.

I wonder if the nemesis system could be incorporated somehow in the sports games, fifa, NBA and other team games where each player has his own personality and "feelings"? Remembers what you've done to him the last time and so on. Could be epic if done correctly.

This fucking game so far, my goty.

Ramenman

Isn't that what "challenge mode" (or something) does ? basically leave you in a "reset" map, no intel, and tasked to kill 4 warchiefs ?

Unless your runes/skills etc don't carry over, but that would be a bit lame. Haven't tried it yet (and wont until I'm done with the main game).

ManCannon

Just got Brand. Things are going to get even better :D

Do the main story mission right after you get Brand as well - I ran off and spent hours branding and playing and then realized the next mission gave me an extra level of ability to use with Brand that I wish I'd had earlier. :)

(and agree the Hunter is awesome and
shadow strike instant-mounting is amazing

So that Destiny dude has a new video. I don't get what his beef with the game is. He complains about it being too easy but he's very far in the skill tree and has the sword super power unlocked. Isn't the game being easier kinda what happens when you max out your skills and have played the game enough to have a good handle on the rhythm of combat?

It's like this guy is immune to fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AV9W2ZdmjU

"Keep in mind I'm not really using any special abilities.." - Uses most powerful ability in the game.

I think I'm playing this game wrong ... I've been killed like a millions times.

Every time I sneak up on a captain, take out his guard, and go in with full hp. Automatically like 5 more dudes come out of nowhere and attack me. Then another captain, then another captain. Who both bring their guys out, and I'm literally surrounded by about 20 people.

Plus the QTE are lagy as fuck (TV in game mode).

Levyne

Banned
How difficult are the later bow, sword and dagger challenges?

Not very, by the time I (or likely anyone) gets to those later challenges you probably have a ton of the upgrades. I do recall some of the later dagger challenges to take more than one try since you have to not be caught.

You know I've had little incentive to keep playing the game once I beat it. The nemesis system has potential, but I don't know if it was enough to make me keep playing the game considering I tend to do pretty well against orcs now with all the upgrades I got. So yeah. I think this might be my last time posting here. It was fun guys.

As for the game, I'd give it a solid 7.5/10. The game needed more around it besides the nemesis system. I'm sad to say that I am part of the crowd that didn't get killed too often to hold a grudge so it never clicked for me as much as others.

Ferrio

Banned
So is there any requirements to brand a captain? Seemed I couldn't do it normally (they'd push me off). Only time it let me do it is when they do they cutscene submit, but that doesn't happen all the time.

Levyne

Banned
So is there any requirements to brand a captain? Seemed I couldn't do it normally (they'd push me off). Only time it let me do it is when they do they cutscene submit, but that doesn't happen all the time.

They have to be weakened or feared (skull icon green), unless they are weak to stealth finishers, then you can do a stealth brand I'm pretty sure.

Isn't that what "challenge mode" (or something) does ? basically leave you in a "reset" map, no intel, and tasked to kill 4 warchiefs ?

Unless your runes/skills etc don't carry over, but that would be a bit lame. Haven't tried it yet (and wont until I'm done with the main game).

The Trials of Power are just time trials with a specific goal (i.e. kill two warchiefs and five captains). It's fun, but not the sort of challenge I'm looking for. If you weren't aware, all mainline game progression carries over, and you already know the uruk structure; it's very much geared towards score-attack style leaderboard-chasing.

I would prefer a free-form "take down this uber army of warchiefs" sort of challenge that starts the world back at step 0, with no one branded, nothing known, and all enemies at a very high level. I'd prefer to keep my progress, and it could be a NG+-esque thing to pursue. There doesn't need to be any specific missions aside from "take down the warchiefs" - the challenge alone would make it a worthy goal, and the uruk power missions would populate the world with nothing to do.

I think if they released a DLC like this I'd probably buy it. I'll even name it for them: Horde mode.

Well, finally got around to beating the game.

The ending
kinda sucked. If your final big boss fight is over in 5 QTE events then you've failed.

The build up to the end wasn't bad and I did enjoy the game.

They definitely left the end open for a sequel.

BouncyFrag

Uruk Captain on my new game no upgrade run

yes he lives upto the crazy title

hearing something shout BUTTONS or STICKY GLUE made me think WTF

unfortunately after retreating 5 times he fell by grog explosion, hopefully he returns with a bag on his head and shouting his random shit
Bag over the head orcs are the best orcs!
Dl3_Ut0_BBH8_Ue.jpg

Since I'm not going for DC I have some cash to burn. Love the LOTR-universe! Dunno if this is a game for me though. Can you guys link me to a good (video) review?

Or...is it possible to compare this game to another one?

Experien

Lmao, destiny with a follow up analysis on the combat system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AV9W2ZdmjU

hard to argue with this zzz

Easy to argue...I'm not saying the combat isn't simple (like Batman), just that when you get to a certain level (before where he is), you are simply too strong for the game. All battles become jokes. If he fully leveled up? It sure looks like it.

He is super leveled up abilities that are OP in a "low-level area" with weak enemies. That may be one of the strongest areas in the 1st map but the 2nd map is a bit tougher. But I'd even argue to say there is a worse area.

He should've let them blow the horn though.

mulac

FINALLY this is out in Australia. Debating the best way to play as I want to put the hours in and get my first PS4 platinum (and second ever Platinum after Ni No Kuni on the old PS3).

Any advantages to downloading digital vs disc buying?

Beat the game. It was pretty good but ultimately feels like the sort of game that is laying the groundwork for something really impressive (like the first Assassin's Creed). I really hope the game does well and they get the time and budget to really maximize this franchises potential.

Why kill the Uruk when you can brand all of them? :D

BzXgqpwCEAEWRmN.jpg

I feel like a proud parent whenever my branded captains and warchiefs level up. And sad when I see them die right in front of me :(

This clicks all the right buttons for me. I loved Far Cry 3 and Batman mechanics and wished Assassin's Creed was better, so this is doing it for me. The one thing I liked about AC were the sandbox assassination levels in the first game, and this game has loads of that if the captains are vulnerable to stealth finishers. Also, stealth branding a captain from above with little effort is a great reward for all the traversal involved.

Out of curiosity, what kind of rune setup are people rocking? For me it's:

Ufael:
1. Foe Hammer (Epic): Recover +2 Elf Shot in Execution kills
2. Wrath and Ruin (Epic): Increases stun and knockdown durations on Wraith Flash
3.Gnawing Fear (Epic): Increases the terror caused by Execution kills
4. Storm of Battle (Epic): Increases all sword damage by 50%
5. Tower of Defense (Epic): Increases Hit Streak Reset Time +10 seconds

I chose Foe Hammer as the primary recovery of Elf Shot because Executions is by far the action I perform the most and it's easiest to do mid-flow. The extra terror from Executions gives me breathing room in tight melee, which helps to keep the streak going. The increased stun on Wraith Flash lets me consistently nuke whole groups with Wratih Burn (even if I don't have the hit streak, the extra duration on stun means I have enough time to build it up.) Maintaining my hit streak with Tower of Defense has been a game changer, which lets me get insanely high streaks as I dash from group to group.

Azkâr:
1. Knight of Eregion (Epic): +1 Elf Shot on Shadow Strike
2. Bow Master (Epic): Increases bow damage by 50%
3. Explosive Demise (Epic): 20% chance an area blast will happen around a charged bow headshot on Uruks and Ghuls
4. Fell Handed (Epic): A handshot recharges the Flame of Azkâr at double the normal rate
5. Wrath of the Eldar (Epic): Increases the duration of Flame of Azkâr by +10 seconds

Flame of Azkâr is probably the deadliest of the three legendary weapon powers so I like to keep it topped up. If FoA is not available, the Explosive Demise headshots throws charging groups into chaos and gives me extra time to make more kills before we move on to melee.

Acharn:
1. Fell Voices (Epic): Recover all Focus and Health for killing a Captain or Warchief
2. The Wolf's Head (Epic): Increased knockdown chance on Throwing Daggers or Brace of Daggers
3. Bright Fury (Epic): 10% chance to stun enemies near a Throwing Daggers of Brace of Daggers hit
4. One with Nature (Epic): Immune to Poison
5. Bare as Bones (Epic): 50% chance to an automatic Critical Strike on the first hit in a Hit Streak chain

I like Brace of Daggers to quickly build up Hit Streak and I have been able to hold off huge hordes with just daggers thanks to the two enhancer runes. The Poison immunity is mostly to protect me against sudden damage spikes.

BigDug13

The battle before the end was surprisingly easy. I thought I'd need to really fight, but my warchiefs did most of the damage for me.

And yeah, the stealth section sucked.

I think the problem with branding war chiefs for that battle is that enemies still hone in on you and so your branded minions get more opportunities to strike as the remaining enemies are focused on killing you.

It's a catch 22. If they focus on your warchiefs you have tanks. If they don't, you have backstabbers.

Top Bottom