• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Bothers me tha this game is 20 bucks more on consoles...Steam has it for 49...wanted to play this on my PS4...sigh...guess I will wait for impressions or rent it on PS4 then grab it on PC at 49 if its good.

You can get it for about $25-$27 in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread, or from a seller on Steam.

antitrop

http://www.twitch.tv/machinima/b/570152365

Starts around 44 mins in. The guy playing tries going straight for the war chief that is higher leveled, instead of working his way up through the hierarchy. Starts out good, but gets OWNED.

This is great.

"That guy's not necessarily dead, Orcs are extremely tough."

*stabs another Orc multiple times in the head*

"OKAY, THAT GUYS DEAD, THOUGH. CAN WE CONFIRM THAT GUY'S GONNA DIE?!"

"Not necessarily."

Best #OrcTakeover tweet so far.
2HeO4zW.png

http://www.twitch.tv/machinima/b/570152365

Starts around 44 mins in. The guy playing tries going straight for the war chief that is higher leveled, instead of working his way up through the hierarchy. Starts out good, but gets OWNED.
Also it's good to note that the guy playing is literally the best SoM player in the world since he has been the one doing most of these live demos. He said during one of them that he probably has over 1000 hours with the game and still finds it challenging as well as still sees new orc captains.

J3ffro

Also it's good to note that the guy playing is literally the best SoM player in the world since he has been the one doing most of these live demos. He said during one of them that he probably has over 1000 hours with the game and still finds it challenging as well as still sees new orc captains.

...Are you trying to make me salivate? That sounds amazing. There's no way this ends well for my personal or professional life.

Levyne

Banned
easy to use? thanks

Yeah, you just right click, select imgur->capture area and drag a box around what you want to capture.

On topic: that stream death posted earlier definitely reminded me of some of the times I got overwhelmed in one of the Batman games.

Time to mail something back and clear out the old rental queue for this. Not exactly excited, but I'm going in mostly blind with tempered expectations, so I'll probably enjoy it

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Edmond Dantès;131295239 said:
Scholar I may be, but such things are always of interest to me. I treat all new Tolkien related media the same; with open-mindedness (as any scholar should), whether it be new editions of the novels, critical analysis from within the community, films, drama, music, art and videogames too.

I always remind my peers in the scholarly community of the following words of Tolkien:

"I would draw some of the great tales in fullness, and leave many only placed in the scheme, and sketched. The cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, and yet leave scope for other minds and hands wielding paint and music and drama."

Are the writers at Monolith wrong for injecting their own ideas into the mythos? Or are they taking heed of Tolkien's words to future generations? I lean to the latter in such matters. Of course the manner in which people add to the mythos and the merits of these additions should be scrutinized and analysed.
. . .

Damn your eloquence, Dantès!

Not to mention the final boss fight of The Third Age had you literally fighting the Eye of Sauron. Yeah, as in you ran up to the Eye and whacked it with your sword.

lol that game was dumb in a bunch of ways

It didn't even feel finished. It was like they ran out of time.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly wish I bought a physical copy of Destiny so I could do this.

Bums me the hell out.

Anyway, really looking forward to this. I'll probably get it on pc with that GMG coupon.
I got a refund from MS for my digital guardian edition as a one off good will gesture. I have SOM preordered on disk but thinking of going digital as I ll get it early, starting to get hyped!!

Not to mention the final boss fight of The Third Age had you literally fighting the Eye of Sauron. Yeah, as in you ran up to the Eye and whacked it with your sword.

It wasn't a very good game, but the sound production in those game were incredible. It felt straight out of the movies. I also appreciate the idea... no idea how they greenlit a JRPG like that.

Winning as the Old Warg in that play-as-the-villains-mode was impossible.

Levyne

Banned
I liked Third Age, but large part because younger me loved to be like [so-and-so] is about to unlock another skill! Had to get them all. I basically remember never using regular attacks because most all (all all?) unlocks were simply based on using your skills so many times.

When I preordered the PS4 version on Newegg I got 5 dollars off, If anyone is interested. The discount doesn't show up until you are on the review order page right before you order it.

Yeah, I suppose you're right.

I almost didn't bother checking the req's. The previous generation of consoles has made me lazy.

Guess I'll be waiting on the sidelines until it releases.

Edit:

So tempted... ;-;

If it makes you feel any better, I exceed recommended specs and I'm still not 100% sure it'll perform well. That said, I'm still very excited.

So I normally don't hark on DLC and season passes, but does anyone else think this seems ripped from the main game. Extra enemies and species to hunt, unless I'm mistaken all that'll be unlocked day 1 for season pass holders. The reason I say this is that they have been showing this game for months and more or less it seems like it's been ready to ship for at least a month. The pass isn't even crazy expensive, but it does seem like the content was ripped out to be sold desperately and that is very dissapointing.

Levyne

Banned
Do you get any new weapons or armor in this?

The short answer is no.

Long answer is that weapon runes might change the weapon look but I'm not sure. Only change how you look with skins. There's a general pre-order skin and a Gamestop pre-order skin, none that I know of in game..

SDCowboy

No. 1 sword, 1 bow and 1 dagger, all of them upgradeable with runes. You can change your characters skin, though I don't know how many (if any?) are included in the base game for free.

The short answer is no.

Long answer is that weapon runes might change the weapon look but I'm not sure. Only change how you look with skins. There's a general pre-order skin and a Gamestop pre-order skin, none that I know of in game..

That's kind of disappointing, IMO. Oh well, I'm still pumped for the game.

Loxley

That's kind of disappointing, IMO. Oh well, I'm still pumped for the game.

Initially I was disappointed by this as well, but then I reminded myself that in the Legendarium characters hold onto weapons for eternity. Aragorn doesn't loot a new sword every time he kills an orc, he's got Andúril for his entire arch. So it's actually in keeping with the world that Talion would use weapons that were significant to him in some way.

Levyne

Banned
Initially I was disappointed by this as well, but then I reminded myself that in the Legendarium characters hold onto weapons for eternity. Aragorn doesn't loot a new sword every time he kills an orc, he's got Andúril for his entire arch. So it's actually in keeping with the world that Talion would use weapons that were significant to him in some way.

Yep, and the story behind his dagger definitely fits that.

Minor spoiler that will probably be revealed early game, hell might be spoiled in a trailer.
It's his dead son's broken sword.

Hmm, if I get this eventually do you think a rig running a GTX 580, a Core i5 2500k OC'd to 4.5ghz, and 4gbs of DDR3 1600 ram will be okay for this?

If I had money I'd just buy the game and upgrade, but I don't have either so sadly I won't be here around launch time and I wish I could support this game day one.

I think this game will surprise us all with how great it is, I just have this gut feeling it will be another Rocksteady kind of situation mixed with a return of a legendary studio.

Either way I hope it sells really, really well because it shows so much promise and to hear the developers talk about it with such enthusiasm.

-Deimos

Hmm, if I get this eventually do you think a rig running a GTX 580, a Core i5 2500k OC'd to 4.5ghz, and 4gbs of DDR3 1600 ram will be okay for this?

If I had money I'd just buy the game and upgrade, but I don't have either so sadly I won't be here around launch time and I wish I could support this game day one.

I think this game will surprise us all with how great it is, I just have this gut feeling it will be another Rocksteady kind of situation mixed with a return of a legendary studio.

Either way I hope it sells really, really well because it shows so much promise and to hear the developers talk about it with such enthusiasm.

You'll run it fine.

b0uncyfr0

My rig is very similar. 2500k at 4.6Ghz, 570 at 930/2100 and 8G DDR3. An overclocked 570 like mine can match a stock 580 when the core is at 850.

The 660 is only slightly faster than a stock 580 thus im thinking my oc'd 570 will be very close to 660 levels. You on the other hand should be good at stock unless you want to overclock it a little bit to get extra frames. A decent clock would definitely put you past 660 performance levels which is the recommended gpu.

The only problem is vram. Hopefully its optimized enough and doesnt use more than 1.2Gb otherwise i will stutter. You have a bit more headroom at 1.5Gb.

Jira

My rig is very similar. 2500k at 4.6Ghz, 570 at 930/2100 and 8G DDR3. An overclocked 570 like mine can match a stock 580 when the core is at 850.

The 660 is only slightly faster than a stock 580 thus im thinking my oc'd 570 will be very close to 660 levels. You on the other hand should be good at stock unless you want to overclock it a little bit to get extra frames. A decent clock would definitely put you past 660 performance levels which is the recommended gpu.

The only problem is vram. Hopefully its optimized enough and doesnt use more than 1.2Gb otherwise i will stutter. You have a bit more headroom at 1.5Gb.

I doubt it will use more than 1.2gb unless it has some seriously nice texture work.

DOWN

Banned
I want this to turn out good but it screams THQ quality. Like just some super cheap elements that keep it from contending with the AAA games. The lighting and colors are off and fake looking, the random glowing magical stuff that doesn't mesh well with the stunning cinema depictions of middle earth, the glowing orc eyes when under control. Ugh, just some tacky cheap stuff going on.

Jira

I want this to turn out good but it screams THQ quality. Like just some super cheap elements that keep it from contending with the AAA games. The lighting and colors are off and fake looking, the random glowing magical stuff that doesn't mesh well with the stunning cinema depictions of middle earth, the glowing orc eyes when under control. Ugh, just some tacky cheap stuff going on.

What in the hell are you talking about?

ironcreed

Banned

They explained that is exactly why they did it as well. And of course your weapons will have names.

Jira

What the hell are YOU talking about? I kid but seriously bro, lets do dis!

So you're gonna be streaming arken? I've been planning on it as well. Anyone know if it's true that the game is releasing at 12am PST or is it going to be a 10am release?

From the creators of the hit MOBA Guardians of Middle-Earth comes an action epic starring Celebrimbor, the creator of the Rings of Power. As one man, undermine, turn and defeat the armies of Mordor using your awesome supernatural powers and abilities, eventually taking on the Dark Lord himself. Infiltrate Mordor... and leave nothing but shadows in your wake.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor is an epic action/adventure title due out September 30, 2014.

I can't blame people for any negativity they may harbor.

Yeah, I don't understand his argument either and I'm not saying he is wrong though but the way he explains it, it's like it's an imitation of the real game which doesn't exist lol. I'm guessing the artstyle looks more vivid and thus to him is not as realistic as he expected it to be? I don't know because it looks great to me.

DOWN

Banned

Does this look like a game of the year contender to you?

Sorry, but it looks cheap. It's not polished like other major titles. Again, it screams THQ to me. That Darksiders and Homefront bleh where you know it won't be the top game in whatever quarter the publisher releases it because it's got that weird multicolor stage lighting fake look and the streaks of light that swinging a sword leaves for no good reason.

Just my perception.

cackhyena

Does this look like a game of the year contender to you?

Sorry, but it looks cheap. It's not polished like other major titles. Again, it screams THQ to me. That Darksiders and Homefront bleh where you know it won't be the top game in whatever quarter the publisher releases it because it's got that weird multicolor stage lighting fake look and the streaks of light that swinging a sword leaves for no good reason.

Just my perception.
...okay.

Top Bottom