• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Jira

I'm pretty sure I heard/read this somewhere but, is the nemesis something that's replayable? Like once you complete and kill all the warchief's you can reset it and do it again? Pretty sure I heard you can reset it.

Every time you play, every enemy is randomly generated with their own strengths and weaknesses.

Levyne

Banned
Every time you play, every enemy is randomly generated with their own strengths and weaknesses.

I don't think it's every enemy, I think once they move from Grunts->Captains that their traits are generated. But it happens even without your input (but you can accelerate promotion by..uh..dying to them, lol).

Jira

I don't think it's every enemy, I think once they move from Grunts->Captains that their traits are generated. But it happens even without your input (but you can accelerate promotion by..uh..dying to them, lol).

Err right, that's what I meant. Though I wonder if it's generated every time you load up or is it per play-through like a seed is generated and every big dog then gets their traits and they stick until killed or you beat the game?

Hmm, if I get this eventually do you think a rig running a GTX 580, a Core i5 2500k OC'd to 4.5ghz, and 4gbs of DDR3 1600 ram will be okay for this?

If I had money I'd just buy the game and upgrade, but I don't have either so sadly I won't be here around launch time and I wish I could support this game day one.

I think this game will surprise us all with how great it is, I just have this gut feeling it will be another Rocksteady kind of situation mixed with a return of a legendary studio.

Either way I hope it sells really, really well because it shows so much promise and to hear the developers talk about it with such enthusiasm.

The 4GB RAM might be a problem, but the rest seems ok.

Levyne

Banned
Err right, that's what I meant. Though I wonder if it's generated every time you load up or is it per play-through like a seed is generated and every big dog then gets their traits and they stick until killed or you beat the game?

Near positive it's for the whole playthrough! Be cool to compare across our games in the OT to see how significant the differences can be. Obviously we have to hope that they are more than just little inconsequential alternations.

Just wanted to say you did a fantastic job on the OT op. It's really good =]

Agreed.

Loved the game alot.

ermagerd, I forgot about this one, still haven't finished it! Got about... 10ish hours in when I got distracted by life and other games =( The pics reminded me of how much fun it was! Maybe I'll boot it up while we wait for Mordor =p

Just wanted to say you did a fantastic job on the OT op. It's really good =]

ermagerd, I forgot about this one, still haven't finished it! Got about... 10ish hours in when I got distracted by life and other games =( The pics reminded me of how much fun it was! Maybe I'll boot it up while we wait for Mordor =p

It's a fantastic game. Took me a full week to get done with everything it has to offer. I really got lost in the world, I hope we get a sequel some day.

xBladeM6x

As amazing as this game looks, I hope there's more to it than just the Nemesis system, since that's all I can seem to find footage of.

Jira

As amazing as this game looks, I hope there's more to it than just the Nemesis system, since that's all I can seem to find footage of.

They have intentionally kept the story under wraps. It's written by the guy who wrote Red Dead Redemption. There's also lots of exploration and collectible type stuff in the game too.

zkorejo

They have intentionally kept the story under wraps. It's written by the guy who wrote Red Dead Redemption. There's also lots of exploration and collectible type stuff in the game too.

If that turns out to be true, I might be interested in getting this.

For now, I am assuming an average story of about 8 hours and no life in the world except for the Orcs you have to kill one after another. They shown alot of gameplay but it has been just the nemesis system. It sounds good but I wont decide to buy a game based on just one feature.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies

For now, I am assuming an average story of about 8 hours and no life in the world except for the Orcs you have to kill one after another. They shown alot of gameplay but it has been just the nemesis system. It sounds good but I wont decide to buy a game based on just one feature.

Not a tremendous amount of "life" in the game world, it's true. But lots of optional little side-things to do - doo-dads to pick up, stealth/combat side missions, hunting challenges, etc.

Game is a good bit longer than 8 hours.

Levyne

Banned
Any word on graphical differences of Xbone vs PS4? Wanna get this baby preloaded. . . .

They've been really quiet about XBO. Pretty much all preview footage has been PS4 to my knowledge with some pc. It seems pretty clear XBO is sub 1080p since they comfirmed it for PS4 otherwise. As for framerate, my guess is that both console versions will run at a "unlocked 60" but I guess we will know for sure in a few days.

Director has stated on more than a couple occasions that their average play through was around 30 hours. As far as things to do there are collectables, tons of runes to combine and use. As well as unlocking the towers. So there is going to be more than just slaughtering orcs one after another.

Levyne

Banned
Though they always inflate the number. I'm guessing a standard playthough will be 20-24 hours, unless you go for full completion / trophies.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Interesting to see a lot of skepticism pop up right before release. With regard to the visuals, I can understand the criticism: it's not exactly a "beautiful" game, and despite all the gameplay videos I've seen, the environments don't seem particularly memorable. Not to mention Talion's face looks kind of goofy. On the other hand, I think they did some really strong character design for both the Black Captains and the orcs themselves; I think it's an achievement to have a number of different procedurally generated enemies and yet keep them visually distinct from one another. If there's one visual I remember from this game, it'll be the variety of orcs--from fire helmets to sith lord masks.

But guess what? Impressive graphics aren't this game's ambition. It's the ability to play around in a orc society simulator and exert your influence in a system that can act autonomously without player input. That's a really cool concept for an AAA game, and I'll gladly give up brilliant art direction for brilliant execution of the core gameplay concepts. I actually feel bad for those who can't look past the visuals to judge the mechanics on their own merits.

That randomly generated Orcs engine is a feat unto itself. They look and move as if hand-made, yet they really are truly random and generated. The gameplay remains to be seen, but it looks very promising.

Ark

Definitely excited for this game, but I'm waiting for reviews & impressions for the PC version before I jump on this. I'm still working through my Summer backlog :p

can someone show me a clear example of an enemy "remembering" you and their dialogue reflecting that? I'm watching an archived twitch stream of the game and the player is about to be killed by this orc chef guy, but he decided you're too pathetic for him and walks away. A little later when you go confront the same chef, he doesn't really say anything that indicates he remembers letting you go.

can someone show me a clear example of an enemy "remembering" you and their dialogue reflecting that? I'm watching an archived twitch stream of the game and the player is about to be killed by this orc chef guy, but he decided you're too pathetic for him and walks away. A little later when you go confront the same chef, he doesn't really say anything that indicates he remembers letting you go.

I noticed exactly what you're talking about too and chalked it up to a bug as even the director mentions prior to the encounter that it should happen. That with the fact that they love to mention it makes me believe it was just a bug.

There was a trailer highlighting it somewhere.

I'd personally be glad if they don't lord it over you every. single. time. because that would get old fast.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
There was a trailer highlighting it somewhere.

I'd personally be glad if they don't lord it over you every. single. time. because that would get old fast.

Given it's usually a single line out of reportedly thousands of lines during a sword-fight, I doubt it'll get as stale as the commentors in FIFA.

Spineker

Banned

Watch the Machinima pre launch stream. They get killed by an orc who they go back to fight again later and he mentions something about you coming back to life.

My rig is very similar. 2500k at 4.6Ghz, 570 at 930/2100 and 8G DDR3. An overclocked 570 like mine can match a stock 580 when the core is at 850.

The 660 is only slightly faster than a stock 580 thus im thinking my oc'd 570 will be very close to 660 levels. You on the other hand should be good at stock unless you want to overclock it a little bit to get extra frames. A decent clock would definitely put you past 660 performance levels which is the recommended gpu.

The only problem is vram. Hopefully its optimized enough and doesnt use more than 1.2Gb otherwise i will stutter. You have a bit more headroom at 1.5Gb.

Eh, my 580 doesn't like overclocking at all really.

You'll run it fine.

Thanks Deimos!

stitch512

Banned
They've been really quiet about XBO. Pretty much all preview footage has been PS4 to my knowledge with some pc. It seems pretty clear XBO is sub 1080p since they comfirmed it for PS4 otherwise. As for framerate, my guess is that both console versions will run at a "unlocked 60" but I guess we will know for sure in a few days.

I thought there was a lot of Xbone footage out there. The first gameplay video was on Xbox One.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFgvvgGEpkQ

No problem, brotherrrrrr. If you're short on cash, some of the nice people in the BST thread can help you out.

Yeah there is a mass dumping of 670's, 770's and various other cards as people are upgrading to 970's and 980's. Some mighty tempting deals in the BST thread.

Everyone should post their first nemesis after Ratbag, so we can get an idea of how diverse the system is.

Great idea. Everyone should try and post screenshot of said nemesis too.

Finished all the LotR movies as well as the prequels. Anyone have any more epic fantasy movie suggestions or the like? Watched Game of Thrones and that was great. Need more.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
It has been decided upon.

I will travel light and hunt orcs. I have 170 euro store credit waiting to get put to use. I'll get Shadow of Mordor for myself, Lego The Hobbit for the missus. Now only gotta decide on the platforms...

Really looking forward to play this, got the game on steam and the season pass as well (I hate season passes), but I really think I'm going to like this game.

I am so hyped for this. I hope that guy that tweeted about the Destructoid review releasing tomorrow was right. I want to see some reviews! Not that it matters, I preordered this game in April lol.

Great idea. Everyone should try and post screenshot of said nemesis too.

I love that PS4/XB1 can now do all that capturing game footage functionality. And copying to a USB disk, don't have to worry with all that bad youtube/facebook compression. It almost makes my laptop worthless. Almost.

Ramenman

http://www.twitch.tv/machinima/b/570152365

Starts around 44 mins in. The guy playing tries going straight for the war chief that is higher leveled, instead of working his way up through the hierarchy. Starts out good, but gets OWNED.

To me this machinima stream really is the best overview of what we know of the game (okay it doesn't have a story mission maybe).

It answers I think most of the questions that people who come into this thread are asking for (like "what is besides the combat" and "how can nemesis work with this combat" and also shows skills, runes, etc...)

This should probably be linked in big fat letters as a "tldr" at the top of the OP :D

This game looks so fun! Just watched like 2 hours of gameplay.

I don't think I've ever watched so much gameplay pre-release of any other game. It's kind of crazy how much footage is out there and how willing they've been to let people stream/record hour long chunks of it. Granted, it's only the Nemesis stuff and we've barely seen the missions/collectables/hunts, but still.

Yoday

I don't think I've ever watched so much gameplay pre-release of any other game. It's kind of crazy how much footage is out there and how willing they've been to let people stream/record hour long chunks of it. Granted, it's only the Nemesis stuff and we've barely seen the missions/collectables/hunts, but still.
It's because it really is different each time.

Ramenman

I think it's per playthrough (though there will be lots of "rotation" due to them dying and stuff :D )

However, there is also a "challenge mode" (= not challenge rooms, it takes place in the open world) where it basically generates a whole hierarchy with 5 warchiefs, different every time, and you start with 0 intel, and you get points based on the time it takes you to brand all warchiefs or stuff like that, so that's probably the most obviously "replayable" part.

I've watched way too many streams to rembember which one, but I think it was in the machinima one where the player arrives on a caragor, a captain flees because he has a fear of it, then during a next encounter when they clash swords (because he's the bodyguard of the dude you're going after) he says something like "there's no filthy caragor to save you this time !".

I think it was the most obvious I've seen.

Spineker

Banned
The fact this OT is only 10 pages long 4 days out from release disappoints me. This game is going to be a frontrunner for GOTY.

Top Bottom