• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

So, is this a game with a grand adventure/exploration, varied environments, with Batman-like combat and ranged attacks or simply a brawler with repetitive AC-like combat and a unique revenge/nemesis system?

Too many mixed initial impressions to jump on this now even though I certainly crave a good LotR game (would rather it be adventure/exploration based and much more than a brawler combat wise).

I'll add that I absolutely despise the combat in the AC games.

I wish there was a demo...

GrayFoxBH

Played the game for 2 hours. It's a really great game, and nemesis system is very interesting. The cons: very easy, combat is too forgiving.

ced

Technically it does reach 60fps at times, but it's just a sneaky way of saying "unlocked 60fps". Expect it to run like Infamous Second Son. It's one of those game where, after a while you'll wish you had a 30fps lock just to make it run stable.

Why do they not include this by default, I'm sure we will see a 30 lock option in a patch way after I'm done with the game.

Skele7on

Banned
Played the game for 2 hours. It's a really great game, and nemesis system is very interesting. The cons: very easy, combat is too forgiving.

is there the ability to up said difficulty?

I am very interested in it and liked what I saw at eurogamer last week and this was one of very few issues I had with this game.

Xater

I expect to still have fun with it but I hate that developers make these games so easy. These open world games need difficulty options, or does it have some?

glaurung

Would the nemesis system break if the combat is too easy and you never die?
I haven't played the game myself yet (EU release this Friday plus Amazon UK shipping time), but this is what I recall from some developer interviews:

You can in theory raise the difficulty by establishing a series of death threats on certain targets. Those targets would then become surrounded by bodyguards, making downing them a greater challenge.

So, is this a game with a grand adventure/exploration, varied environments, with Batman-like combat and ranged attacks or simply a brawler with repetitive AC-like combat and a unique revenge/nemesis system?

Too many mixed initial impressions to jump on this now even though I certainly crave a good LotR game (would rather it be adventure/exploration based and much more than a brawler combat wise).

I'll add that I absolutely despise the combat in the AC games.

I wish there was a demo...

Well you're in luck because its nothing like AC combat system.

Spineker

Banned
Played for a couple of hours just then. Game is thoroughly awesome. GOTY material for me yet? Mmmmm nope, but it's definitely a great game.

leng jai

So how's the story? I'm a bit weary after Destiny's horrid campaign, is this any better? I'm not expecting miracles but hopefully it at least gives you some feeling of purpose to what you're doing.

Wunder

I haven't played the game myself yet (EU release this Friday plus Amazon UK shipping time), but this is what I recall from some developer interviews:

You can in theory raise the difficulty by establishing a series of death threats on certain targets. Those targets would then become surrounded by bodyguards, making downing them a greater challenge.

Awesome, thanks!

Spineker

Banned
So how's the story? I'm a bit weary after Destiny's horrid campaign, is this any better? I'm not expecting miracles but hopefully it at least gives you some feeling of purpose to what you're doing.

Haven't really scratched the surface of it but the basis is discovering Celebrimbors memories which pretty much tells the story of how Sauron convinced him to forge the rings.

Played for about 15 minutes on XB1 this morning before I had to go to work; still in the tutorial I believe.

To my eyes, at minimum it looks and performs equal to, if not better than, ACIV on XB1 (though I'm still extremely early in the game). Visually and performance wise, so far I'm pleased, and am excited to play more once I get home.

I'm a big LOTR fan, and I'm already enjoying the lore/story aspects.

Shin-Ra

Ok, people were interested in direct feed screenshots from Xbox One. Here you go:\

SQjcZHO.png
o8Ww6aQ.png

It's locked to 30FPS it seems. Also seems sub-1080p, but I can't tell for sure.
iM7df6xOisvlU.png
iR5eGVJhvOAbZ.gif

I can see why some might have thought it was 720p.

!!! FOR THOSE HAVING A SHIT ONE RE: THE LEGION EDITION BONUSES !!!

I just prompted my PS4 to re-download the entire game via the web store (re-add to cart for $0 > download to PS4); lo and behold, there they appeared in the download queue!

Pretty sure it works via the console store, too.

Smidget

So are there any online components to this game? The challenge pack leaderboards, but all the nemesis stuff is within your game and doesn't bleed into other games, is that correct? Unlike Diablo 3?

Karak

Game is so easy it boggles my mind uhg:( Already killed 2 war-chiefs and I think I have died like 3 total times.

Nzyme32

iM7df6xOisvlU.png
iR5eGVJhvOAbZ.gif

I can see why some might have thought it was 720p.

Well in fairness, the situation is similar and very different on the PC at the same time. Some high texture assets are great, others are just ok. The ultra texture dlc is only just coming out right now, and the difference in some places in none existent while in other areas, quite a noticeable gap. Personally I think frame rate is more important in this sort of game but each to their own

Rehosted those:

HIGH:
high_31a-pcgh-pcghyhimf.jpg

ULTRA:
ultra_30-pcghq8eay.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So are Caragors supposed to be completely broken with ridiculous timing windows, or am I just lucking out? It's supposed to be emulating the guys in Batman with tazers you jumped behind to hit, but you jump behind them and there's way too much of a delay for you to hit them. Not to mention their instant hit kills if you fail the QTEs. And only having so much focus that you can get two or possibly three arrow shots in if you're perfect.

Really, really frustrating.

EvB

Hey all, anybody tested to see if this is using the Kinectless SDK on Xbox One?

All you need to do is do the return to home gesture hands on either side of the screen.

If it is using the new SDK with the freed up resources, then you won't see the hands at the side of the screen and you won't be able to use the gesture to return to the dash, but you can still use it on the dash to return to game.

Lord Phol

I'm curious if there are any UI options (turning off map, mission arrows and such), if someone has tried them out and if so what their thoughs are on it?

Shin-Ra

Hey all, anybody tested to see if this is using the Kinectless SDK on Xbox One?

All you need to do is do the return to home gesture hands on either side of the screen.

If it is using the new SDK with the freed up resources, then you won't see the hands at the side of the screen and you won't be able to use the gesture to return to the dash, but you can still use it on the dash to return to game.
I thought the freed up Kinect resources weren't supposed to affect core OS functionality?

The Kid

I bought and preloaded this game on Sunday on my PS4, which I think included an update for the game. I have not touched my PS4 since then and last night my internet/cable went down. I probably won't have Internet access until tomorrow. I was able to start the game this morning (game just said I couldn't access the WB store or something). Other than the preorder DLC, is there any think I am missing by starting to play offline without having downloaded anything since Sunday?

eznark

Banned
I have a 780ti and ran the benchmark with everything ultra on 1080 and got a nice 83 ave FPS. mmmm hmmm

Opening was awesome. Didn't play much past that though. The controls felt a little...sloppy?

Just finished playing for about 3 hours and I'm really loving the game. The movement has a bit of the open world jank but the combat is satisfying and pretty fun not too button mashy and not too difficult. I haven't found too many sword runes mostly bow runes which kinda sucks cause I prefer melee combat but whatever.

To me, the Nemesis seems cool but a little halfbaked so far. But the captain fights are where you really get into the combat especially if you start fighting 3 or so at once. Doesn't quite have the production quality of an Assassin's Creed game but the baseline gameplay is a LOT more fun than the first Assassin's game.

A quality product from Monolith imo. I didn't realize they were still capable! :)

I'm having a completely different but great experience. i haven't found any arrow runes... only dagger and sword runes. I'm loving everything about this game... the thunder and lightening looked awesome at night.

Gotta say that I was not expecting what the game turned into. I tried it out for about 30 minutes before work and I'm hooked. It's like Dark Souls + Batman's combo / fight system + Open World adventuring.

They have a hit on their hands with this. Can't wait to get home to play it more, sorry Dark Souls 2 DLC.... you're gonna have to wait a LOONNNNGGGG time before I play you now.

Gotta say that I was not expecting what the game turned into. I tried it out for about 30 minutes before work and I'm hooked. It's like Dark Souls + Batman's combo / fight system + Open World adventuring.

They have a hit on their hands with this. Can't wait to get home to play it more, sorry Dark Souls 2 DLC.... you're gonna have to wait a LOONNNNGGGG time before I play you now.

In what sense is it like Dark Souls? lol.

Ostinatto

It's like Dark Souls?

HOW ???

Phloxy

Just love all the people claiming PS4 is def 60 fps and PC's are screwed unless you have Omega titans, my 770 crushes this game I was worried for nothing.

Catdaddy

My eyes are locked at 40fps so it doesn't matter to me..

Seriously can't wait to play this, half-day today so picking this up on the way home..

noomi

I know it's still early.

But does anyone know what textures the ps4 seems to use in comparison to the PC version. I would assume high... there's no way the ps4 would be using ultra textures....right?

Top Bottom