• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Osahi

Damn European release dates. I want my share of the Middle-Earth goodness too (I really like Assassin's Creed ànd LotR, so much made in heaven huh?).

With a bit of luck street date gets broken tomorrow. But I shall not hope.

I am on the fence on getting the PS4 version. I would rather go for that if I know that the pre-order items are available (i.e. the Dark Ranger outfit, etc..).. Anyone with a PS4 able to get the pre-order stuff working in-game?

I think anybody who believes 13 minutes is enough to assess a game, or that I'm tying to do so, needs to take a step back and think about what is accomplished in 13 minutes. It's more or less a tutorial.
I agree but it was the language you used that I was talking about.. (or the aggressive nature of it anyway)

Grief.exe

I wish Nvidia had MFAA up and running at this point. Shadow of Mordor would be the perfect test case seeing how it doesn't have an AA solution by default.

What else do you do in Dark Souls besides kill monsters? That's a really lame question. The premise for every game is to do *something* repeatedly. In all of Batman's glory, the main thing was always beating up bad-guys..

Loxley

About an hour in, so far I'm really enjoying it. I switched to the Dark Ranger skin as soon as I could, I like it way more than Talion's default design.

Windpower

Banned
What else do you do in Dark Souls besides kill monsters? That's a really lame question. The premise for every game is to do *something* repeatedly. In all of Batman's glory, the main thing was always beating up bad-guys..

seriously, this. people have been laughably negative after reading about 15 minute game experiences, lighten the fuck up.

Ok. I'm settling on the PC version. They found a way to make SLI work and I'm not hard up for Ultra textures at this point. Need to flex my 690 muscles on this game and I need the DLC to work. I want the Ranger outfit bad. Not playing it without it. And also want at least 40+FPS average. Don't mind the dips but 30-40FPS on PS4/X1 isn't cutting the mustard for smooth gameplay overall unless locked. And it doesn't look like they are locked.

Fun game, just wanna test my settings and 2 hours flew by, whoops.
For any folks with dirtbag systems, the game runs fine on my laptop with 1GB vram with a mix of high-medium-low settings. Texture at medium. Benchmarks gave me an avg. of 37 fps.

Prometheus Zero

Neo Member
ok so just spent an hour with the PS4 game, and I don't know if they patched the game, but it is quite clearly a locked 30fps.

Edit: Which actually makes me happy, an unlocked 30-60 is never my cup of tea.

Arken2121

I wish Nvidia had MFAA up and running at this point. Shadow of Mordor would be the perfect test case seeing how it doesn't have an AA solution by default.

It would be but i'd say the game looks(runs) amazing on maximum settings. Feels like they overestimated the necessary specs.

Erudite

Is there a way to remove the logo screens on startup?
So far, renaming:
Code:
\Steam\SteamApps\common\ShadowOfMordor\game\interface\videos
WBPlay.vib
nvidia_splash.vib

\Steam\SteamApps\common\ShadowOfMordor\game\interface\videos\legal
legaltext.vib
legaltext_fr.vib
middleware.vib
Has reduced the length of the logo screens, but I can't get rid of the one that is the WB logo and title screen without causing the game to crash on startup.

undecided

Decided to jump in with that GMG 25% off deal this morning... I love Steam's download speeds.

e5Vqviq.png

george_us

13 minutes is 13 minutes. If you took that as a thorough, critical assessment of the game, you're the fucking idiot.

Quite literally nothing about this game clicks for me. 13 minutes is now 31. The world is lifeless and visually uninteresting. The combat is heavily inspired by Batman, which is good, yet is far less satisfying and rewarding in all respects. I have zero drive to explore, see, move the story forward, uncover secrets, upgrade my character, or spend another second hunting down an orc or whatever. In that area it channels Assassin's Creed: all the game systems work but none so far are deep or fulfilling enough to warrant investment.

I just don't care. I'm completely apathetic about the early game, and that's the worst thing I can feel.
Ugh that sucks to hear. All of your complaints are the same fears I had whenever I watched footage of gameplay. Nemesis system looks cool but everything else looks dull and uninspired. May give this a shot when it hits $20 down the road.

Moff

I dont agree. batman has tons of stuff to do as sidequests that is not beating up bad guys.
sure, combat is still the main thing, but in mordor its the only thing.

and you dont really want to compare mordor to dark souls, do you? if you compare mordor to an actual good game that offers only combat it will look even worse than if you compare it to batman.

dark souls offers huge, detailed and diverse enviroments. mordor offers a boring wasteland.

dark souls has tons of different weapons with different animations, strenghts and weaknesses. it has different kinds of magic. mordor has three set main weapons, which can be improved/changed slightly with runes.

dark souls has tons of different kinds of enemies with completely own design, attack patterns and require different strategies. and huge, spectacular bosses.

mordor has a handful of enemy types and mini bosses with randomly generated strenghts and weaknesses.

if mordor would offer the same variety and depth in combat as dark souls does, no one would complain. but it doesnt, its nowhere near dark souls. its basically a brawler like batman but with much less diversity. so the question "what else do you de besides killing orcs" is absolutely legit.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
My PS4 copy is at least in transit from Amazon. Shipping from Ontario, which is about an hour and a half away from Los Angeles, so I should definitely be getting it today. As long as the same bullshit that happened with Destiny doesn't happen (for some reason there was some kind of "unexpected delay," despite shipping from Ontario, so I didn't get it until the next day), I should be ok. It's going to be a long day at work today. Hopefully no overtime tonight (they tend to schedule overtime at the most inconvenient times; I had three hours of OT the day PS4 released, so that was a painfully long day...).

Arken2121

Here's a neat little feature: If you see two enemies attacking you and both have their indicators up at the same time, if you tap right mouse-button twice, you AND Celebrimbor parry. It's REALLY neat.

Kyolux

Can't wait for tonight to give this game a shot.

I'm trading in MLB the show '14 and last of us HD for it at future shop for a deal they have. Will probably trade Destiny along with it for some extra cash for a PSN card or something.

I actually liked Destiny, but it's now forever bound to some shitty week I had earlier this month, so I rather get rid of it.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I'll like this or not, I'm not a big fan of the assassin's creed games, but I love the Batman games, even though I find the reactive combat to be only OK but nothing amazing even if it's well-executed.

Kud Dukan

Really enjoyjng myself so far. Barely done any of the story at all. I'm just having fun wandering around the world killing Orcs and enjoying the Nemesis system. It's pretty clear that system is going to start showing up in other games down the line...it's a fantastic concept and they've executed it great.

Loxley

I dont agree. batman has tons of stuff to do as sidequests that is not beating up bad guys.

and you dont really want to compare mordor to dark souls, do you? if you compare mordor to an actual good game that offers only combat it will look even worse than if you compare it to batman.

dark souls offers huge, detailed and diverse enviroments. mordor offers a boring wasteland.

dark souls has tons of different weapons with different animations, strenghts and weaknesses. it has different kinds of magic. mordor has three set main weapons, which can be improved/changed slightly with runes.

dark souls has tons of different kinds of enemies with completely own design, attack patterns and require different strategies. and huge, spectacular bosses.

mordor has a handful of enemy types and mini bosses with randomly generated strenghts and weaknesses.

if mordor would offer the same variety and depth in combat as dark souls does, no one would complain. but it doesnt, its nowhere near dark souls. its basically a brawler like batman but with much less diversity. so the question "what else do you de besides killing orcs" is absolutely legit.

tTxHQbm.jpg

jasonng

I've wiped nearly half the orcs in my nemesis system and I've barely done any story missions. I really want to progress through the story just so I can get branding but I keep getting distracted. When do I get branding? I hope I get it soon. I'm running out of orcs. :(

cackhyena

That's nice. Looking forward to wanting to kill characters with a little personality for a change. Randomly generated? I think I'll live.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
So what else do you do in this game besides kill Orcs?

What else would you like to do? I mean, I've had the same thought... Just hours and hours of endless orc slaying does sound like it could get boring after a while. But I can't think of any other mechanics they could put into a game like this that wouldn't feel like contrived filler.

I think the Nemesis system, if it is even remotely as deep as it sounds, is going to go a long way towards breaking the inherent monotony of this sort of open-world action game. We'll never get past the fact that 99% of games have one core gameplay mechanic that they beat you over the head with for the 10-30 hours you play them. It just is what it is. The variation brought about by the Nemesis system is the sort of outside-the-box thinking needed to help make these all-too-familiar gameplay experiences seem fresh again.

To me, this is probably the most "next-gen" feature I can think of since the PS4/XbOne came out. We're nearing a point of diminishing returns as far as graphics are concerned. We need developers to invest time and resources into AI and intelligent, adaptive, evolving game worlds to help create new experiences we couldn't have had in previous generations.

Sure, at its core, it's a game where you run around and kill scores of bad guys. That's what most AAA games are. It's the dynamic system through which your enemies grow and evolve that should make this game something more than just mindlessly killing orcs for hours. I've been all-in on SoM because I think this sort of innovation needs to be encouraged and, the fact that this game is coming from a big-time publisher, along with being attached to a big-time license (LotR), makes its success that much more important. I want publishers and developers to look at this game's success and recognize that it came from a unique gaming experience and not pretty graphics, cutscenes or whatever.

Aces&Eights

That's nice. Looking forward to wanting to kill characters with a little personality for a change. Randomly generated? I think I'll live.

Bingo. As much as I love Dark Souls, all the enemies were mutes who just turned around when I approached and then took a swing at me.

This game has the enemy not only talking smack but actually mentioning past engagements and reminding me that I lost. I can feel my blood boiling already lol

Honestly have not been following this game at all but the trailer has me interested (marketing works!) but I think I'll wait because I really don't have time for it, and I can pick up later for cheaper.

I watched some gameplay videos and was impressed, and checked out a review or two and it looks better than I expected.

Uga

Hello,

I'm sorry for the trouble you have with accessing the Voucher Code for "Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor - PS4". I do understand how frustrating this must have been to you.

After looking into your issue, I've checked with my resources and found that currently due to some unknown technical glitch we're experiencing this issue with the Voucher Code.

Good stuff. Thanks, Amazon.

Top Bottom