• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy |OT| From Corak and Sheltem to Enroth and Erathia

Zukuu

Banned
is there a walkthrough somewhere for the side quests? I mean, just the locations of the dungeons etc would be enough.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
This game reminds me of a party based "The Quest" for iOS. The more I play, the more I love. Starting a new game will be hard because I tend to grow super attached to my characters. Loving it so far, though! I can go into the Lighthouse, but everything I've heard and read says I should probably hold out a little bit and level up outside.

How/when do I get identify spell? And also, is it best to just rest when my HP/MP is low rather than waste potions while wandering around in the world?

garath

Yes it's the area with all the Orcs. Somewhere down south.

Nice. Thanks for that. I found the orc area again but before I found the meteor I found the crag lol.

I still haven't even been to Karthal. Whoops.

At least now I can master Earth and start putting points to GM. Is the meteor near Crag?

KePoW

Banned
Once you start Act 4, can you get back "out" at any point in the middle of it?

Or should I finish everything else before going in

kmfdmpig

Once you start Act 4, can you get back "out" at any point in the middle of it?

Or should I finish everything else before going in

Haven't gone in yet, but I've read that there's no getting out until you're done with it, so I'm trying to tie everything else up first.

Arulan

As you note, the
Shadow Dragon attacks more than once per turn
Even a unlevelled ice bolt is a god send against it.

I haven't considered Water magic at all so far, but Ice Bolt looks like a great utility spell for certain encounters. I'm assuming it doesn't work to negate AoE attacks such as Cleave, what about retaliation mechanics from enemies?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Just killed the first boss in the Den of Thieves. I was missing and getting blocked a lot. Is that normal? Is there any way to make this less of a pain?

Just killed the first boss in the Den of Thieves. I was missing and getting blocked a lot. Is that normal? Is there any way to make this less of a pain?

Perception + points into your weapon skills/dual wield

If you have a dual wielder, have them attack first so they have more chances to trigger a block. Then have your other melee people attack.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
They have a set number of blocks per turn so if they block early it will be less likely for them to block after.

Oh OK, thanks. Did not realize that. No dual-wield in my group, but it sounds like I should use my weaker melee attacks first and end with the strong ones?

Rubius

Just I just finished Legend of Grimrock yesterday, and I was wondering if there is active puzzles in the game like in Legend? Clickable hidden buttons, switches and all the good stuff?
Might give MM10 a try, but I really want try to play the other games in the series before, Only played MM7 and I didnt know english back then, and didnt know about the turn by turn combat options. Strafing 60 Dragonflies like a boss was cool.

vocab

Just I just finished Legend of Grimrock yesterday, and I was wondering if there is active puzzles in the game like in Legend? Clickable hidden buttons, switches and all the good stuff?
Might give MM10 a try, but I really want try to play the other games in the series before, Only played MM7 and I didnt know english back then, and didnt know about the turn by turn combat options. Strafing 60 Dragonflies like a boss was cool.

Nah, not really. Might and Magic X is more about riddles and environmental puzzles. There's pressure plate puzzles, and some switch lever puzzles but nothing like grimrock tbh.

Rubius

Nah, not really. Might and Magic X is more about riddles and environmental puzzles. There's pressure plate puzzles, and some switch lever puzzles but nothing like grimrock tbh.

Okay no problem, so it's more a classical Dungeon Crawler. Will still try it. It's a okay alternative to be able to play Pen and Paper RPG's.
Grimrock 2 is coming this years ish anyway. Skill trees motha lovers.
skills.jpg

KePoW

Banned
Are they going to change the combat in Grimrock 2? I absolutely despised the real-time 'dance' combat in the first game.

_DrMario_

Got the cyclone spell today lol.

Cyclone, cyclone, cyclone, cyclone, mana potion.

Trigger boss. Boss dies. Lol.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Are they going to change the combat in Grimrock 2? I absolutely despised the real-time 'dance' combat in the first game.
i dont know if they would ditch that since theres part of what the games that Grimrock is based off of. However, i do remember seeing videos of Grimrock and iirc there is no pausing while selecting spells, right? That needs to change.

Arkeus

Oh OK, thanks. Did not realize that. No dual-wield in my group, but it sounds like I should use my weaker melee attacks first and end with the strong ones?

Yes- also, enemies 'uses' their block attempts even if they don't block. OTOH, enemies like that boss gets free attacks for each blocks, so using abilities like ice bolt to negate those can be useful.

vocab

Got the cyclone spell today lol.

Trigger boss. Boss dies. Lol.

You can stack the cyclones? lol

Rubius

i dont know if they would ditch that since theres part of what the games that Grimrock is based off of. However, i do remember seeing videos of Grimrock and iirc there is no pausing while selecting spells, right? That needs to change.

Well the first game have runes you have to click to cast spells. You have to memorize what rune combination do what spell. It was fine. The whole game is without any stopping time menu, they wont put one for spells if they dont put one for inventory.
It will not change in Grimrock 2.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Well the first game have runes you have to click to cast spells. You have to memorize what rune combination do what spell. It was fine. The whole game is without any stopping time menu, they wont put one for spells if they dont put one for inventory.
It will not change in Grimrock 2.

Ah okay thanks for clearing that up. Like i said i only saw a couple videos so i wasnt sure of the ins and outs of it. If it works, then it works.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yes- also, enemies 'uses' their block attempts even if they don't block. OTOH, enemies like that boss gets free attacks for each blocks, so using abilities like ice bolt to negate those can be useful.

I was actually using that to my advantage - attacking with ice-bolt last to reduce attacks if need be. The strategy in the game is really fun, and having access to a bunch of unique and fun abilities is proving to be very useful.

Can you explain what you mean about an enemy using their block attempt even if they don't block?

Arkeus

Can you explain what you mean about an enemy using their block attempt even if they don't block?

If an enemy has, say, four blocks , each time he attempts to use a block uses one up- so attacking with a character that hits 4 times will use up all 4 blocks even if none are blocked.

So don't go thinking "damn my mage wasn't blocked"

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
If an enemy has, say, four blocks , each time he attempts to use a block uses one up- so attacking with a character that hits 4 times will use up all 4 blocks even if none are blocked.

So don't go thinking "damn my mage wasn't blocked"

Oh very interesting... So in your example, are the first four attacks the only times blocks can trigger? Or is it the first for melee/ranged attacks that turn? Like will something like frost bolt count as a block attempt?

garath

So what should I GM on my freemage? Primordial, dark or air? Air seems to be resisted a lot :( but I don't even know what dark or primordial has

Zukuu

Banned
So what should I GM on my freemage? Primordial, dark or air? Air seems to be resisted a lot :( but I don't even know what dark or primordial has

You can look up every spell by simply unticking "hide unlearned spells" in the spell book. Just click on the school you want to read about.

Air is the best damage option imo. Also has AoE. Dark rather sucks until you GM it damage-wise. Still has great utility. Prime only has utility imo.

Can you only reach GM on one skill per character?
I've read something along the lines of 3 GMs per character. Dunno tho. Most characters end around level 31-33 depending if you take the exp hireling.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I feel like I'm kind of wandering after getting to the Crag and clearing a lot of the dangerous caves...is the Karthal sewers my best bet for progressing?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Fighting the lighthouse boss. Damage output is kind of high, and I only have one healer at the moment. I may go level my other healer up to get another heal and armor caster. At that point, the fight shouldn't be too difficult.

Raggie

These are two different styles of gridders. If you want something more in the style of Grimrock, I can heartily recommend Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos. It's available from GOG. I just re-played it last Christmas, and it has aged very well. Not in the least archaic, it's pick-up-and-play.

I do recommend playing at least MM 3-7, but be prepared for a very long haul. MM 6 and 7 are approx. 200 hours long. Took me a year to finish off just one.

It's totally unnecessary to play the previous games in the series before MMX, BTW. They are set into a completely different world, so no story continuation there.

Rubius

It's totally unnecessary to play the previous games in the series before MMX, BTW. They are set into a completely different world, so no story continuation there.
I always prefer to play the games in order or else going back in time and playing a old version of a game is weird because you say "Ah, I thought I could do that because it's in the sequel" and ect. That's why I went in Final Fantasy by starting 1 then 2, then 3, then 4 and ect. To see the evolution and all that.

Thanks for the suggestion will look that up.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I didn't realize my Druid already has Regeneration and Celestial Armor. Lighthouse boss has gone from "this is stupid and my party is gimped" to "my party is fine, this fight is a blast and requires legitimate strategy".

Are all the bosses like this, requiring strategy over levels/gear?

I didn't realize my Druid already has Regeneration and Celestial Armor. Lighthouse boss has gone from "this is stupid and my party is gimped" to "my party is fine, this fight is a blast and requires legitimate strategy".

Are all the bosses like this, requiring strategy over levels/gear?

Not all of them. Many are actually pretty straightforward tank and spank affairs. The Lighthouse boss was one the few that made me think for a bit before subsequent re-engagements after a few Game Over screens.

There's one
of the 3 brother bosses that's a bit of a pain in the rear due to his use of respawning adds who fire poison arrows indiscriminately at you from the side, and since you can't mentally manipulate bosses, you have to deal with them at range which is non-optimal.

Durante

This game is even larger than I though, the mountain area in the north east you can only access with the blessing of Ylath is bigger than I expected.

KePoW

Banned
This game is even larger than I though, the mountain area in the north east you can only access with the blessing of Ylath is bigger than I expected.

MMX is bigger than I thought at first glance of the map.

However, I don't believe it's near as big as World of Xeen. At least that's my gut reaction... haven't played Xeen in a while of course.

Top Bottom