• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy |OT| From Corak and Sheltem to Enroth and Erathia

Whew! I finally completed the game. The last chapter wasn't very fun since my party was overpowered and I no longer cared about getting new loot. I'm tempted to start an all might characters party on warrior difficulty but I think I'll save that for the future.

Man, I am hooked on Might and Magic 6, and that doesn't happen easily. I've only been in New Sorpigal and Castle Ironfist, and there is still a massive world to explore.

Nope, I played on easy mode (Adventurer) so I could be a bit careless about my skill point allocations. The game is quite challenging in the beginning, but after Act II I could crush pretty much anything the game threw at me.

vocab

D

I keep seeing this referred to as a 200 hour game. I had no idea it was so long; like most classic CRPGs I never finished it as a kid, way too ADD about games.

It'll probably have to wait for next year. Too much new stuff to dropped 200 hours into one game.

200 is a little exaggerated. 60-100 is a little more realistic. 7 is shorter than 6 by a big margin.

Raggie

Man, I am hooked on Might and Magic 6, and that doesn't happen easily. I've only been in New Sorpigal and Castle Ironfist, and there is still a massive world to explore.

I'm not sure what it is exactly, but these old MM games are digital crack. I think it says something that for me, most games start to outstay their welcome after 20 hours or so, but I played Mandate all the way through without getting much tired with it, even though it took me a year to do it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
All of the white gear I find in chests in such...Is that supposed to be gold fodder? I haven't found a reason to save it since I just upgrade my gear slowly as I have gold with green and blue enchanted stuff.

Also, how much of an impact does 1 attack value, 1 evade, 1 resist, etc actually have? I've been thinking of building some evasion into my Druid, but if the evasion stat is pretty garbage, I might just nix that idea.

KePoW

Banned
All of the white gear I find in chests in such...Is that supposed to be gold fodder? I haven't found a reason to save it since I just upgrade my gear slowly as I have gold with green and blue enchanted stuff.

Yes, pretty much sell all white items.

Also, how much of an impact does 1 attack value, 1 evade, 1 resist, etc actually have? I've been thinking of building some evasion into my Druid, but if the evasion stat is pretty garbage, I might just nix that idea.

Don't put any points into evasion for your Druid.

Magic all the way mate, may be a little spirit (not too much though since the Druid has GM Mysticism which should provide more than enough Mana by the endgame). Others would argue Destiny since it increases the crit chance of her spells.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Don't put any points into evasion for your Druid.

Magic all the way mate, may be a little spirit (not too much though since the Druid has GM Mysticism which should provide more than enough Mana by the endgame). Others would argue Destiny since it increases the crit chance of her spells.

Destiny is linked to evasion, so that's where I was going with it. I've been dumping it into Spirit and Magic right now. I get everyone to about 10 perception since everyone has a ranged weapon for little damage plinks as melee enemies move in close (or after I entangle/freeze them so I can splash them with damage).

It sounds like it's REALLY hard to mess your characters up on Adventurer difficulty, so that's a plus.

E: Any thoughts on Defender stat points? I've been doing Might/Perception/Vit, but he still misses a lot. Of course, being heavy armor, I imagine that lowers his accuracy a bit, right? Attack Value is related to accuracy, no?

E: Any thoughts on Defender stat points? I've been doing Might/Perception/Vit, but he still misses a lot. Of course, being heavy armor, I imagine that lowers his accuracy a bit, right? Attack Value is related to accuracy, no?

Yep. Just pour those skill points into his primary weapon/Heavy Armor skill to help out.

You definitely need more than 10 Perception for your melee characters, fyi, especially in the beginning when your weapon skill isn't really up to standard. It becomes less important once you hit progressive tiers (Expert/Master/Grandmaster)

Durante

Heavy armor has a large attack penalty, which is mitigated by leveling the heavy armor skill. I ended up with ~50 perception on my Defender before I was happy with the hit rate. The good thing is that you don't really need to put much into Vitality on a Defender, they'll survive everything anyway.

If you have the relic shield and GM the shield skill the block rate/number is pretty ridiculous.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Heavy armor has a large attack penalty, which is mitigated by leveling the heavy armor skill. I ended up with ~50 perception on my Defender before I was happy with the hit rate. The good thing is that you don't really need to put much into Vitality on a Defender, they'll survive everything anyway.

If you have the relic shield and GM the shield skill the block rate/number is pretty ridiculous.

Yep. Just pour those skill points into his primary weapon/Heavy Armor skill to help out.

You definitely need more than 10 Perception for your melee characters, fyi, especially in the beginning when your weapon skill isn't really up to standard. It becomes less important once you hit progressive tiers (Expert/Master/Grandmaster)

Both of my melee are currently around 25 Perception, so that's definitely helping.

_DrMario_

I was wondering why I was having such a hard time surviving fights today until I reread the Searing Rune definition.

I was pretty much killing myself lol. I thought the Marauder's trap was useless, but at least it doesn't damage my party.

garath

Got gm sword for my bladedancer and the relic sword today. Holy crap he is doing so much damage. My crusader is getting up there now too. Master shield with the relic shield and master sword on the way to gm sword.

My spellcasters are kind of secondary Lol.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
My jaw dropped a little when "Act 2 Complete" popped on the screen, I never even broke a sweat running through the Lost City and I heard it was crazy. Maybe I'm just really well-rounded because I've bounced around places randomly but I expected more push back right about now.

vocab

My gear is pretty shit, but I just brute force through everything. I'm at the end I think. I thought I was at the end before, but it kept going.

My jaw dropped a little when "Act 2 Complete" popped on the screen, I never even broke a sweat running through the Lost City and I heard it was crazy. Maybe I'm just really well-rounded because I've bounced around places randomly but I expected more push back right about now.

Heheheheheh... right after Act 2 is where the fun begins in the Lost City
on the lower levels. Try heading to Level 3 for some fun.
Enjoy.

Zukuu

Banned
Can someone link me to an walktrhough for the shrines quest? How do I know when the right day is to pray at a specific one? >__> Also, what's the reward? Does anyone know?

Also, earth is so op. Roflmao, Acid Splash is flat out broken. Damage, 2x offensive debuff and a defensive debuff PERMANENTLY.

Zukuu

Banned

Thank you, but I won't be needing this anymore.

The game just corrupted my save games... All those hours wasted. Had a blast playing it, but I won't begin a new. I was level 18 or so, beat a shit ton of optional dungeons and bosses...

There is a solution to this, but the latest save is lost forever. So I "only" lost my progress of today. Roughly 6 hours... I've got today so much done. Maybe in a few years I'll give it another try...

I'm seriously pissed... :X

vocab

Thank you, but I won't be needing this anymore.

The game just corrupted my save games... All those hours wasted. Had a blast playing it, but I won't begin a new. I was level 18 or so, beat a shit ton of optional dungeons and bosses...

There is a solution to this, but the latest save is lost forever. So I "only" lost my progress of today. Roughly 6 hours... I've got today so much done. Maybe in a few years I'll give it another try...

I'm seriously pissed... :X

How did it get corrupted? My game wouldn't let me save my game anymore ( I fixed it), but i didn't lose any progress because I save often.

Zukuu

Banned
How did it get corrupted? My game wouldn't let me save my game anymore ( I fixed it), but i didn't lose any progress because I save often.
It's a known bug it seems. I dunno how it got corrupted. I just used quick save and it wouldn't let me load any save games anymore. After searching up the problem, I found a solution. You need to delete all save games but the latest one that ISN'T corrupted (showing a filesize of 0 kb). So yeah, save often with manual save games. I just used quick save today. =/

KePoW

Banned
It's a known bug it seems. I dunno how it got corrupted. I just used quick save and it wouldn't let me load any save games anymore. After searching up the problem, I found a solution. You need to delete all save games but the latest one that ISN'T corrupted (showing a filesize of 0 kb). So yeah, save often with manual save games. I just used quick save today. =/

You never manually save? That's a standard must in all RPGs.

Durante

Can someone link me to an walktrhough for the shrines quest? How do I know when the right day is to pray at a specific one? >__> Also, what's the reward? Does anyone know?
Since other people asked about this earlier, I'Il post my findings. I just finished this quest the old-fashioned way (with a piece of paper). Here's how it works:

Code:
Weekday  | Dragon    | Shrine Location
---------+-----------+-------------------------
1 Malda  | Malassa   | 141/101 (Vantyr Range)
2 Elda   | Elrath    | 132/48 (N of Sorpigal)
3 Arda   | Arkath    | 28/21 (SE Wildlands)
4 Sylada | Sylanna   | 69/79 (N Forest)
5 Shalda | Shalassa  | 91/10 (S Coast)
6 Ylda   | Ylath     | 10/71 (W Menthil)
7 Ashda  | Asha      | 66/48 (The Eye)

You can visit the first 6 in any order, but Asha needs to come last.

Here's the reward:
might-and-magic-x-leglps4j.jpg

Much more worth it than the Obelisk quest IMHO.

_DrMario_

Well I beat the game yesterday. Was still missing 2 books but whatever. All chars at lvl 30.

Good game but I won't be replaying it for awhile. Was really getting tired of getting "ambushed" by monsters by the time I got to the end.

My party was Hunter, Defender, Runepriest, Freemage.

Hunter - Just ok. Bladedancer is better in every way no doubt.

Defender - I hated him at the start but by the end he was my favorite char. Unstoppable.

Runepriest - Fire is awesome at the start of the game but by act 3 I found myself using mostly her earth and light spells for buffing/debuffing.

Freemage - Air sucks at first but by the end it was awesome. Cyclone, Thunderstorm, Chain Lightning. Some other great spells from dark and prime magic too.

Overall I think I should have put more Vit and destiny for my casters. Honestly that's pretty much the only thing I would change, aside form not getting a hunter. I think my next party will be Bladedancer, Guardian, Defender, Druid/Shaman.

Hopefully the game gets a couple of patches before I decide to play again.

epmode

You can visit the first 6 in any order, but Asha needs to come last.

No wonder. I tried camping out in front of that stupid shrine for two weeks but nothing worked.

In case anyone was wondering, this game is still incredible. I hope the upcoming patch helps with instability in the overworld, though. I'm getting somewhat frequent crashes when the game decides to stream in lots of new data.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Finished the game. The amount that I loved the game is equally proportional to the amount that I fucking hated the last level. Loved the game start to nearly finish, but that last level was the very definition of tedious, dull and incredibly frustrating. Stop, shield, cycle through defense, move a step. Repeat. Use potions. Repeat.

God was that ever fucking annoying.

I rarely needed to use my Celestial Shield spell towards the end. The combination of Darkness Ward, Stoneskin, and Regeneration was enough to hold off most damage. The biggest upside of using the other buffs is that they don't wear off as fast.

WanderingWind

My save jumps between 50 hours and 65 hours. I have no idea how long it actually was, but I really loved 99.9999% of it. What a great game. Really loved the sense of danger and exploration. I think my favorite mechanic was finding a relic and leveling it up. It's like the gift that keeps on giving.

My only complaint is the map and the last bit of the game. The map needed to scroll.

WanderingWind

The whole last area or the tedious, contrived boss fight?

I hated that fight. So much. I was never in danger of dying, it was pure tedium.

Loved everything else about this game though.

Edit: saw your post above... Yes, scrolling would have been nice, and I'd really like some improved notetaking as well.

Exactly. It was just frustrating and boring. Especially since if you decide to take on path to the second piece of the sigil, the boss teleports into the wall and glitches the game. So, I had to redo a good piece of the tediousness.

Also, I got two sets of slides for the same scenario at the end. So, it feels like they ran out of time around the last dungeon. I don't think I'll be playing the game through again, as it feels like a one time playthrough.

Durante

There are just 2 UI features I really want in the game: more quickslots and multiple note colors (I'm a bit of a note taking maniac, my maps are littered with them) .

No wonder. I tried camping out in front of that stupid shrine for two weeks but nothing worked.
You know, the game does tell you about that requirement right there at the shrine :p

WanderingWind

Nah, that map scrolling is necessary. What good is a map if you can't actually use it?

But, regardless, this game really dug into my brain. Love games where I start playing and lose 6 hours.

Durante

Just finished it. Yeah, that very last bit was a bit of a drag. Still, unexpectedly great and addictive game, and a good start for 2014.

Large too (at least if you feel compelled to explore every single square), probably took me around 70 hours in total.

vocab

Ya I just finished it as well. The last area did have its problems.
The ending showed both the good and bad ending for lord haarts mission. Okay?

Overall fun game. Feeling a little burned out towards the end.

Bought this morning... and..... it is 6pm.

Been a while since something sucked me in like this.

Rolling a Defender, Free Mage, Crusader and Ranger(?). Just finished the 4th dungeon (Thieves den) and cannot believe how much I am enjoying myself. Wish it wasn't Sunday already...

epmode

You know, the game does tell you about that requirement right there at the shrine :p

Wat.

I read the first shrine or two but once I realized how they worked, I just scanned the text for the day of the week and noted it on my map. READING IS HARD, OK?

Durante

The same thing happened to me. I also thought it was a bit weird that it only showed the class promotion quest for my druid and not the other three characters.
I think that makes sense, at least for my characters it was the only one which was that "open-ended" in terms of what actually happens.

At least now I can finally feel good about
letting Luke go

Durante

I tried to get Xeen working on my windows 8 laptop for 2 hours yesterday, but every time I move the mouse or click the entire dosbox emulation hangs (and only continues when I alt-tab in/out. Now I'm fed up with it. I even got the whole munt stuff set up correctly and working :/

Knurek

I tried to get Xeen working on my windows 8 laptop for 2 hours yesterday, but every time I move the mouse or click the entire dosbox emulation hangs (and only continues when I alt-tab in/out. Now I'm fed up with it. I even got the whole munt stuff set up correctly and working :/

That's definitely not happening on my Win7 setup.
Have you tried upgrading from stock GOG Dosbox to one of the newer SVN builds?

WanderingWind

I can't go back to those graphics right now. I just had an excellent time with MMX. I think I'll wait for the next lull in the year before going back in time. Really, it can only lead to disappointment.

Moff

I could deal with the graphics, but the interface of MMX is so much better and so much more fun, I couldnt get into xeen and mandate again, sadly. I tried twice, but nope. I continued my MMX warrior run.

Top Bottom