• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy |OT| From Corak and Sheltem to Enroth and Erathia

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm pretty used to old graphics, but I tried M&M6 for a little bit and boy has that not aged well at all in the looks department. I was really put off by the free motion too, almost made me wish they gave a copy of Xeen with the deluxe edition instead.

garath

Well after a little under 40 hours, I'm starting to get a little bored. Amazing that the game held on for this long. It's just getting a little repetitious at this point.

I'm trying to free the guy from prison in Karthal but have done a ton of side stuff. Have 6 skills ready for grandmaster across my party but still need runepriest, paladin and archmage promotions. The runepriest one in particular looks very involved and it looks like I need the air shard?

Still playing but not sure how much longer. Great game though. Have been recommending it all over the place.

Raggie

I'm pretty used to old graphics, but I tried M&M6 for a little bit and boy has that not aged well at all in the looks department. I was really put off by the free motion too, almost made me wish they gave a copy of Xeen with the deluxe edition instead.

Like those early 3D games, MM6 looks like shit. I also thought the movement was sluggish compared to Xeen. It took me a while to adjust, but once I did, I did enjoy MM6 a lot.

Jag

I absolutely loved this game...then I hit the final chapter. This is like Risen level drop off in terms of quality. Talk about hitting a brick wall.

I won't spoil it, but if you have lots of cash before you hit the end (which you should on Adventurer), make sure you stock up on tons of potions. Luckily stores replenish their stock quickly.

Victrix

*beard*
Like those early 3D games, MM6 looks like shit. I also thought the movement was sluggish compared to Xeen. It took me a while to adjust, but once I did, I did enjoy MM6 a lot.

MM6 fan patch is a must. Mouselook, custom controls, double speed movement.

Xeen is an all keyboard game, the mouse is crappy in it. kb also handles stuff like inventory way faster.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Holy shit there are like 20 enemies in every encounter in the final dungeon lol

And they all flank you. And they all take way too long. And fucccccckkk that last dungeon. Days later and I'm still annoyed by it.

And you don't actually get to kill the final boss, which would've been cathartic

And you don't actually get to kill the final boss, which would've been cathartic

The first time around the encounter glitched on me. I managed to do enough damage in one turn that he died on the spot lol. Got the ending credits/video and everything.

They really need to make him invulnerable to emphasize the point that he's not meant to be dealt with in that manner.

Moff

The first time around the encounter glitched on me. I managed to do enough damage in one turn that he died on the spot lol. Got the ending credits/video and everything.

They really need to make him invulnerable to emphasize the point that he's not meant to be dealt with in that manner.
is this really a glitch?
if you can do this, I think you deserved it

vocab

MM6 fan patch is a must. Mouselook, custom controls, double speed movement.

Xeen is an all keyboard game, the mouse is crappy in it. kb also handles stuff like inventory way faster.

I have no clue how to move items to and from characters in xeen with just the keyboard.

Kyuur

Just started Act II. Is there anyone who wouldn't be amazed at that view when you first step out into the void of the Elemental Forge? I am loving the old school-ness of this. The riddle chest had me giddy. Those dangerous caves are terrifying.

Radiant Weapon is bugged right? It doesn't seem to let my melee guys hit without being blocked 100% of the time... it's a bit unfortunate, as that's the sole reason I bought the spell instead of Heal.

desverger

Was thinking about either that, Dragon Commander, M&M6 or Temple of Elemental Evil.

I'd be so down for a GAF RPG club, if there was a good way to vote on what to play. This thread has been a lot of fun.

All good suggestions, except I don't own Dragon Commander. Come to think of it, I think I just saw my original ToEE box somewhere :p

Also; GAF RPG club sounds like a great idea! Sadly I couldn't really contribute into this thread as much as I'd liked, but I'll post some final thoughts once I finish the game today.

Alastor

I bought this two days ago, started it and enjoyed the first hour. But there’s a problem. I also redeemed the "bonus coins" code for that free to play M&M card game (it was in the box), and been playing that instead since yesterday, it’s eating all my gaming time…

Ubi is handling this M&M franchise rebirth pretty great so far.

waby

I am sorry fellow M&M people but the recent sale of LoG in gog locked me up on it but don't worry I'll be back on it cuz that dungeon only scenery is too much.

Raggie

Why not MM6? It's more MM but different enough from MMX not to cause burnout, and many already own it since it came with the special edition of MMX.

For a gridder I'd vote for Elminage: Original, for being a great game nobody's played, and having some stuff that makes MM so great without being too similar.

Malio

I'm jealous as hell at everyone beating this game. It's almost unplayable for me. I'm now in the Yon Chall forest and I can't play for more than 20 minutes without a lock-up or a crash. Wait for a patch I guess?

I'm jealous as hell at everyone beating this game. It's almost unplayable for me. I'm now in the Yon Chall forest and I can't play for more than 20 minutes without a lock-up or a crash. Wait for a patch I guess?

Are you running the game on a 32bit OS by any chance? It's notoriously unstable without the RAM leeway that a 64bit OS gives the game. The game executable often brushes upon 2.5 - 2.7 GB of RAM consumption by itself which is crazy and a heck of a lot more than most AAA PC games.

Malio

Are you running the game on a 32bit OS by any chance? It's notoriously unstable without the RAM leeway that a 64bit OS gives the game. The game executable often brushes upon 2.5 - 2.7 GB of RAM consumption by itself which is crazy and a heck of a lot more than most AAA PC games.

Yea, it's Windows 7 32-bit. It's pretty ridiculous if true. If I'd have known it would be like this, I wouldn't have bought it. Hopefully they are addressing this in a patch.

desverger

Well, I finished it! And also didn't any of the Uplay achievement for finishing chapter 4, even when nobody died. Oh well!

Really enjoyed almost all of it and it made me realize how much I'd love if this genre made a comeback. I finished at level 32 with everyone, and took the time to do probably all of the side stuff, minus the books and the Temple of Ylath (?).

Some final thoughts about my party:

Bladedancer: GM dualwield and sword. Absolutely wrecking face throughout the game. She was constantly the most powerful member of the party, and almost oneshotting enemies at the late game. The prestige skill was also very useful, at one point I wiped out an entire group of enemies in a single turn! My only gripe was that I leveled dagger up to master only to find out there are no relic daggers in the game :(

Defender: GM axe, shield and warfare. Despite my initial concerns, a very solid member of the party. Tons of retaliation damage and a huge block rate ensured I could use Taunt to my advantage in the later ambushes, and just laugh at the face of my enemies. Besides taunting, warfare didn't exactly offer a lot of uses and he was basically a damage soak, albeit a very useful one.

Runepriest: GM earth and light. Almost exclusively used only earth magic, since I hadn't a lot of need for the Celestial Armor. Light is pretty useless school after the early parts of the game, sadly. Still, GM'ing earth made up for it. Stone Skin, Acid Splash, Poison Cloud are all very useful spells. Never used the prestige skill, no idea if I even got it :p

Freemage: GM magical focus. Overall, not very satisfied with him. Crit damage was absolutely fantastic, but I feel that the enemies in the game have a LOT of resistances and there aren't a lot of ways to reduce them (unlike armor). The most useful school was surprisingly fire, air didn't give me a lot, and sadly he couldn't GM fire. Still, it was a good idea to have another caster to help with buffing and debuffing and that's where most of his usefulness came from. I never used his prestige skill either, it was never needed.

About the game:

Well, I said I enjoyed most of it and didn't find the last part terrible at all. However..

My only disappointment was the gimmicky boss fight at the end of the game. This is not something that's needed in a game like this, just give me a proper, epic fight and I'd be happy. RPGs are all about the journey, for me.

The game also was the most fun while exploring new areas, and the final stretch being just a big string of dungeons didn't really feel like it played on the game's strengths, even though I was destroying all the enemies in a couple of swings. Also I got very tired of that feeblemind effect :p

The best part of the game was definitely early-midgame when the world opens up and you are free to explore challenging locations and get yourself beaten to a pulp if you enter a too challenging area. That was definitely the point where this game "clicked" for me.

Overall, I have a feeling this game might end up at my top 3 this year. Probably not at the top, Witcher 3 is looking too good, but it's a heck of a feat considering this game came from practically nowhere, in a time where turn based RPGs aren't really alive and well, and a game where I was very skeptical due to the early access version. It's also a little sad how this was a low-budget title, I can only imagine how good this could've looked without the ripped assets from other M&M games and a proper paper doll inventory system akin to M&M6-8.

Here's hoping for a sequel!

flowsnake

Sounds like it would be an issue for my 4GB ram too. As you say games don't often need much so I never bothered upgrading.

desverger

I just noticed something after finish the game that might be related to the fact that I didn't "complete" Act 4 yet, can someone who's finished the game as well clarify something for me?

edit: Yup, great, this was indeed the case. Word of warning for everyone, when you enter the Vigil in the final act, make sure to explore it fully.

I ran past Markus at the Vigil level 1 (never met him, instead I went straight down), so it botched my entire last quest. If you run past him, things do not happen in the correct sequence. Now, when defeating the final boss, my quest log says: "Find Crag Hack in Ker-Thal" - which I obviously already triggered, breaking the quest :p

Kind of amazing they didn't make him to block your route or anything.

I have an earlier save but I'd basically need to run through all of the Vigil and Ker-Thal again, including the tedious boss fight. Maybe I'll do it one rainy day to get those precious U-play points!

The "Lord of Ultima" shitty F2P strategy game is closing down. I remember playing it for about an hour and giving up due to boredom. Though that's longer than I lasted with their "Ultima Forever: Quest of the Avatar" game. I played that for about 10 minutes before uninstalling it from my iPhone.

desverger

The "Lord of Ultima" shitty F2P strategy game is closing down. I remember playing it for about an hour and giving up due to boredom. Though that's longer than I lasted with their "Ultima Forever: Quest of the Avatar" game. I played that for about 10 minutes before uninstalling it from my iPhone.

Ah okay. Apparently I can't keep track of all the abuse EA does to its old, good IPs :)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Wizardry 8?

This seems to have aged much better than M&M6, even if it has a couple years on W8.

Maybe some more grid based fun? Etrian Odyssey would fit the bill.
I love EO, but comparing it to my play through of M&MX has been interesting since they're supposedly cut from the same cloth. I guess you lose some sense of exploration in an open world with EO, but the self-mapping system feels like a dream come true for old RPG fans. I need to fire up my PS3 version of Wizardry after I finish M&MX (70 hours and counting!) to see how it stacks up.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Is Wizardry 8 structured like M&M? A world to explore and everything? I'm on Dragon Commander now but apparently it is relatively short.

InertiaXr

Been having a easier time with this after I restarted a few days ago with a Barbarian/Bladedancer/Freemage/Runepriest team, but am now in the end of act 2 and beginning of act 3 and getting kind of stuck, everything seems too difficult for my party or something I can't do yet. Skull Rock level 2 and the Lost City level 3 final room for the crystal spider heart are both too difficult, haven't seen any more of the Elemental Forge shards, and I don't think I can go do the quests in the Menthil Coast and Vantyr Range. Not sure what exactly to do with looking for Montbard's daughter, or what I'm suppose to do to free the Hamza dude in Karthal. I'm level 20/21, am I missing a few quests or dungeons somewhere? I'm pretty sure I've mapped out all of the overworld that I can which is why I'm getting kind of stuck now.

Moff

lost City Level 4 is easier than Level 3, there is a door to Level 4 in the back of the act 2 Boss room. thats your next Destination.

Top Bottom