• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

adixon

Backed before video finished, then raised pledge after. As a side benefit, maybe this will (in some small way) help realize my real dream, which is for certain great jrpg developers to go back to their roots on kickstarter as well.

This honestly feels a little bit too shameless for me to personally support. A 2015 date helps too.

But then I guess its Capcom's own fault? I mean christ, this is BAD for business. Like, really bad.

I have to object to the word "shameless" when you're talking about the people who created Mega Man in the first place. "Risking legal repercussions," sure, but shame shouldn't come into it when you're talking about the original creators basing something on their past work.

3llK8KT.png

wtf... you should at least be able to crash on Inafune's couch and eat some leftovers for 10 grand.

GolazoDan

Is that $10,000 likely to actually get donated? I have no idea what the Kickstarter procedure is for these things. Seems too good to be true.

Like, my studio makes lil shitty (not for long though! hehe) games that are F2P and our budgets are not far off what this game is asking for.

A lot of you are becoming spoiled by indy people who love games SO MUCH that they dont mind going on minimum wage for years, pull 14 hour days and make a whole game with 3 people in a basement. thats unrealistic and unfair. You forget that game developers deserve a fair wage and that their tools, testing, publishing and marketing fees cost real money.

I wish I wasn't on my phone so I could find this clip from Dreams With Sharp Teeth this post reminds me of where Harlan Ellison talks about not taking a piss without getting paid

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
$900k for a 2D sidescroller?

$2,5m for the console versions?

Why so expensive? Is the yen exchange rate enough to blame?

Isn't a bit much? Inxile is making Wasteland 2 with this kind of money.

I suspect it won't reach the $2,5m stretch goal, so I might aswell back out from this project. I would rather play this game on consoles and I am trying to be very cautious to not double dip lately.

InXile are the ones who are crazy for asking for so little. 1 mil for an RPG is s disingeniously low amount, and I say that from experience.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
First time backing something on Kickstarter, but for the spiritual successor of Megaman, it's a small price to pay~

Went ahead and pledged $250 for that hard cover art book <3 :D

$900k for a 2D sidescroller?

$2,5m for the console versions?

Why so expensive? Is the yen exchange rate enough to blame?

Isn't a bit much? Inxile is making Wasteland 2 with this kind of money.

I suspect it won't reach the $2,5m stretch goal, so I might aswell back out from this project. I would rather play this game on consoles and I am trying to be very cautious to not double dip lately.

2D games are better so it costs more.

IrishNinja

creeping up on 90k, will clear 100 easy in its first few hours...damn. hope more eastern devs wanting to do this kinda thing are paying attention!

I know I was just asking "does" he respond, as in is he responsive on Twitter otherwise.

If so I'll also tweet him when he gets back from his hiatus.

Yeah, I'll also let him know about this kickstarter.

This is the kind of stuff that'll get people on board with Vita. Expecting AAA, big budget exclusives from Ubisoft, Capcom, Square, Bethesda, Activision etc. etc. etc. for a handheld isn't going to happen. But putting out a Megaman inspired game from the creator of Megaman that plays constructively to handheld controls is money.

I'm 400% in.

This is what I wanted.

And goddamn that callback to Legends 3 was the final blow to push me to drop cash if I wasn't already gonna.

Sorral

Yeah, I'll also let him know about this kickstarter.

This is the kind of stuff that'll get people on board with Vita. Expecting AAA, big budget exclusives from Ubisoft, Capcom, Square, Bethesda, Activision etc. etc. etc. for a handheld isn't going to happen. But putting out a Megaman inspired game from the creator of Megaman that plays constructively to handheld controls is money.

He does respond. Try Tweeting @giocorsi too if you can!

Ganondorfo

I always wondered what Mega Man was the most favorite for everyone, for me it was 3 and X and Zero 1-2. That's why I am looking forward to this project.

Coiote

InXile are the ones who are crazy for asking for so little. 1 mil for an RPG is s disingeniously low amount, and I say that from experience.

Well, Wasteland 2 isnt having budget problems($3M). It's strange the amount of money they are asking to develop Mighty No.9.

Currently, I am a backer. Let's how they handle the campaign and if they adress this concern is some manner.

Lingitiz

Well, Wasteland 2 isnt having budget problems($3M). It's strange the amount of money they are asking to develop Mighty No.9.

Currently, I am a backer. Let's how they handle the campaign and if they adress this concern is some manner.

Fargo seems to be really good at managing the project efficiently, readjusting the scope of the project, etc. Tim Shafer on the other hand...

Like, my studio makes lil shitty (not for long though! hehe) games that are F2P and our budgets are not far off what this game is asking for.

A lot of you are becoming spoiled by indy people who love games SO MUCH that they dont mind going on minimum wage for years, pull 14 hour days and make a whole game with 3 people in a basement. thats unrealistic and unfair. You forget that game developers deserve a fair wage and that their tools, testing, publishing and marketing fees cost real money.

Yeah, I think the price here is fair if they want to give the developers a living wage for that time as well as reasonable hours.

Think of it this way: you technically only need to contribute $20 to actually get the game, which is a fair price for what they're offering. Mega Man 9 cost about $10, and that had 8-bit graphics. They're aiming to make this game much more complex in both visuals and gameplay, even if it'll be 2 stages shorter at the very minimum. But at this rate, they should easily hit the $1.2 mil goal, and get a "full game" out of it.

DMiz

I actually wonder if one of the conditions that CAPCOM might lay down on Nintendo using Mega Man in the upcoming Smash Bros is to ensure that none of their systems can play the Mighty No. 9...

Famassu

It's really not. If I'm not completely wrong, many of the classic RPGs of the past were made with those kinds of budgets. Wasn't Fallout 2 made with, like, 3 million?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player

How is it strange? Do you know what other 2D action games, with a team filled with industry veterans, costs to make?

If you dont, then listen to the people that do. Thats a low proce for a 2D game of this kind. You think going 2D is any cheaper than 3D? If so, why?

Wasteland 2 should have cost way more than the 3 mil they got, waaay more its partly because they already had an engine built, (at least based on what theyre promising, if it ends up being super short like Shadowrun then sure, good deal)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.

I'm not sure what there is to address. They already answered the question and said they're doing this with as low a goal they can set to actually make it happen. They laid out the team working on this and it's not just one company involved, it isn't cheap to put all those people together.

BadWolf

I actually wonder if one of the conditions that CAPCOM might lay down on Nintendo using Mega Man in the upcoming Smash Bros is to ensure that none of their systems can play the Mighty No. 9...

Won't make much of a difference for the game's sales.

Top Bottom