• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

Sandfox

I actually wonder if one of the conditions that CAPCOM might lay down on Nintendo using Mega Man in the upcoming Smash Bros is to ensure that none of their systems can play the Mighty No. 9...

That would be really dumb and pointless.

Penguin

I actually wonder if one of the conditions that CAPCOM might lay down on Nintendo using Mega Man in the upcoming Smash Bros is to ensure that none of their systems can play the Mighty No. 9...

I feel like that hurts CAPCOM more than Nintendo.

Smash Bros doesn't need MegaMan to sell, but Smash Bros will be the most relevant MM has been in half a decade

It's really not. If I'm not completely wrong, many of the classic RPGs of the past were made with those kinds of budgets. Wasn't Fallout 2 made with, like, 3 million?

Fallout 2 is a very old game, budgets are very different nowadays and just because the game is 2D doesn't mean it's cheap to make.

Shion

I'm so glad to see Japanese developers embracing the crowd-funding model.

What are Yu Suzuki, Sakaguchi and Platinum Games waiting for?

Lol, just asked the lady of the house if she had heard about Inafune's new not-Mega Man game, and without knowing anything about it asked me, "what'd he call it, Mighty Man or something"

Despera

Banned
Only have Paint.
icAQoR9gQroFI.png

Fixed that shit for ya.

Edit: beaten XD

zroid

Banned

that really doesn't make any sense...

Lol, just asked the lady of the house if she had heard about Inafune's new not-Mega Man game, and without knowing anything about it asked me, "what'd he call it, Mighty Man or something"

lol

Busaiku

Great Giana Sisters is on Nintendo's systems.
I doubt Nintendo would do anything.

Whoa, great pitch video. This looks legit as all get out. Sony and Nintendo need to be on the phone with him, like, yesterday if they're serious about getting the best indies on their platforms. THIS is why the next few years are going to be great. Cool little projects sprouting up all over the place.

Also - I assume the long-dreamed of but cancelled project was Legends 3?

This is Megaman in everything but name only. Dang... Looks good. Too bad Capcom doesn't what to do with the Megaman franchise -- or any, frankly -- because obviously Inafune still had some left in the tank.

Side note: he seems genuinely heart broken over the Legends 3 cancellation.

Read what you just wrote, ask yourself, "does this make sense?"

MrCuddle

My thoughts exactly.

I'd give my left arm for a full blown Shenmue III, but just to be able to see Yu Suzuki back in the saddle again would fill me with joy.

And interestingly enough, Giana Sisters, over time, eventually found it's own identity. The game released via Kickstarter is AWESOME, and nothing like any Mario game. When you look at a lot of old games of a similar genre, sometimes they tend to take ideas from each other, and eventually find their own identities later on.

Not posted yet?

yYiDBaI.png

Megaman, and Roll walking Rush.

Inafune trolling Capcom harrrrrrd.

LOL, I saw that too. I was like, "What's Roll and Rush doing there? Damn, the Japanese have some strange fashion sense! Though, I immediately thought the Roll-girl could've also been Kid from Chrono Cross because, y'know. LOL!

And this is Ryu

300px-Akira.jpg

Don't forget Ryu Belmont!

Rob-offart14.jpg

That look was pretty en vogue back then, wasn't it?

d872aedcdccf552f3a519ee565576732_large.jpg

tumblr_mo8tllLr231r60ay5o1_500.gif

Megaman is pissed!

I think he's more pissed off at Capcom for not giving him a similar treatment, and spending all their budget on Monster Hunter games, and crappy Resident Evil installments. Mega Man's literally thinking, "This could've been MEEEEEE!!!".

Personally, this is why I love KickStarter! Projects like this! I see Inafune taking up the mantle and saying, "Well, if Capcom's not going to do anything about it, I am!!!". There's obviously a big Mega Man fanbase, and it might just not be because of that character alone. The concept of those games are great. It's one of those instances of, "Nobody's making games like this, nor wants to make games like this. Maybe I will!!!". I mean, damn, first check, the numbers were over 35,000, and my last check, they were over 95,000. DAMN!!! People want this to happen!

I'm going to for the $60 tier and the physical box. Whenever I see a Kickstarter that has those kinds of prizes, I'm a sucker for them. Love the phsycal retro boxes and printed game manuals. Pledged similar tiers for Shovel Knight and A Hat in Time!

Fallout 2 is a very old game, budgets are very different nowadays and just because the game is 2D means it's cheap to make.

budgets are different but it depends alot on what you are doing, wasteland doesn't need the 400 modelers and animators that assassins creed or other big budget 3d games have.

PaulloDEC

$900k for a 2D sidescroller?

$2,5m for the console versions?

Why so expensive? Is the yen exchange rate enough to blame?

Isn't a bit much? Inxile is making Wasteland 2 with this kind of money.

I suspect it won't reach the $2,5m stretch goal, so I might aswell back out from this project. I would rather play this game on consoles and I am trying to be very cautious to not double dip lately.

It's a 2D sidescroller in gameplay terms, but it sounds like the visuals are going to be almost entirely 3D:

Kickstarter said:
What kind of graphic fidelity are you aiming for?

We realize it can be hard to envision the project, since everything we’ve shown so far are mockups made for design documents. We do want to be clear this is no retro de-make; the fidelity we based our budget on to set our initial Kickstarter goal is for a game in-line with AAA current-gen console (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U) 2D download titles. We can also safely say the plan is to use what is often called the “2.5D” setup: 3D models for characters and most objects, with the gameplay in 2D.

But maybe a better way of thinking about it is this: No matter what, Mighty No. 9 won’t be pushing the technological envelope of what the hottest AAA next-gen games are doing, but that’s not the point; the point is it’s going to look awesome—at least so awesome, in terms of both design and tech, that you won’t be thinking about how many polygons or shaders or GURPS or whatever that it’s pushing or not pushing. If you’re still wondering, you could look at the two developers working on Mighty No. 9, look at their previous games, look at the early art and overall production value you see evident on this page, and decide for yourself what they are capable of. Either way, we are confident that, if you were interested enough in the game to read this far into the page, you don’t need to worry about this.

Yes Boss!

I just wanted to timestamp where the kickstarter is sitting after nearly 2 hours. I never keep an eye on kickstarter stuff, but do the popular ones usually get funded at this speed?

Yeah.

Well this is a real developer.

I don't even have a PC but I backed it for $60. Hopefully it comes to some platforms. Should get to 4 million, my guess.

IrishNinja

Suzuki - shenmue rights
Sakaguchi - might be a fit here? i don't think MS has any ties to his studio now
Platinum - i dunno, maybe they're still hoping to get bought by nintendo or somebody

to what extent do japanese devs know about KS?

Polybius

Neo Member
Backed the $250 tier for the signed art book. There goes my next-gen money...

Nah, not really. Gonna wait out the post-launch game doldrums regardless.

GolazoDan

People doubting that this stuff can cost a lot of money need to go back to that Skullgirls debate. That's a different genre to this (as is Wasteland) and that's simply one of the variables to consider when comparing one video game's budget to another.

Pretty good start, but pledges are going to slow once the initial buzz dies down. That's the roughest part of the equation.

But hey, if Armikrog can get funded in the midst of the TenNapel controversy, then why not this for the same minimum goal?

squall23

I think he's more pissed off at Capcom for not giving him a similar treatment, and spending all their budget on Monster Hunter games, and crappy Resident Evil installments. Mega Man's literally thinking, "This could've been MEEEEEE!!!"
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. If MH actually does have a budget as big as you think it does, we would've gotten an HD version with completely new assets by now.

I seriously doubt it. They approved Mega Man a while ago. Even if they were spiteful enough to consider doing this, I don't think they can renege whatever deal they made with Nintendo originally.

Lingitiz

I just wanted to timestamp where the kickstarter is sitting after nearly 2 hours. I never keep an eye on kickstarter stuff, but do the popular ones usually get funded at this speed?

It's about right. Project Eternity made 1.1 mil in 24 hours. It went on to make 4 million overall.

Top Bottom