• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

Possum

I have faith that, even if the stretch goals aren't achieved for them, PS4 and PS Vita versions will happen. Mr. Ahmad won't be able to resist.

I have faith that, even if the stretch goals aren't achieved for them, PS4 and PS Vita versions will happen. Mr. Ahmad won't be able to resist.

I believe this is a given at this point. The presentation and blog mention shows that PlayStation understands that the fans/console owners want this game

UraMallas

I'm thnking a final boss/stage theme where the intensity of the song increases as you get closer to completing it.

That would be really cool. I had no idea there were so many Protomen fans. I will have to report back to him that GAF approves. I don't know how the idea of them composing something for the OST will go, though. We were more shooting the shit about the game and he mentioned it. I've got my fingers crossed for him.

mclem

750k to go, and the timer is about to tick over to 2 days in an hour or two...doable?

One thing worth bearing in mind with Kickstarters:

The timers round *down*. So ticking from '3 days' to '2 days' is often thought of as ticking down from "2 days, 0 hours, 0 minutes" to "1 day, 23 hours, 59 minutes" when in fact it's going from "3 days, 0 hours, 0 minutes" to "2 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes".

In short, there's usually a little longer to go than you think.

Loxley

Exactly, PS4/X1/Vita/3DS versions are pretty much guaranteed at this point. The only factor is how quickly those ports are released - if they reach the stretch goal of 3.5 million then we'll probably see them sooner than we otherwise would.

Either way, I'm super-exited for the game, even though I've never been a huge Mega-Man fan and the game is at last a year and half away.

....Not excited about a handheld port being a stretch goal. Perhaps if the game is proven to be successful, then we can talk. I really don't see the purpose right now. 4 platforms is enough for a new game. That is just asking for trouble IMO....

,,, Also why is the "support character" mode stretch goal so high? Shouldn't that have been something earlier in the stretch goals? Should switch this with the Game + mode. I have no idea why that is even in it in the first place. I understand the impact Demons Souls has had on modern games with this mode but, it doesn't seem like something that would warrant a stretch goal.

With these kind of stretch goals being wacky I may lower my pledge.

mjc

....Not excited about a handheld port being a stretch goal. Perhaps if the game is proven to be successful, then we can talk. I really don't see the purpose right now. 4 platforms is enough for a new game. That is just asking for trouble IMO....

,,, Also why is the "support character" mode stretch goal so high? Shouldn't that have been something earlier in the stretch goals? Should switch this with the Game + mode. I have no idea why that is even in it in the first place. I understand the impact Demons Souls has had on modern games with this mode but, it doesn't seem like something that would warrant a stretch goal.

With these kind of stretch goals being wacky I may lower my pledge.

Yeah some of the stretch goals are a bit wonky...you think they'd move some around that makes more sense for the development cycle.

Edit: By that I mean make the documentary and challenge mode/boss rush stuff secondary to something more integral to gameplay like support characters or extra stages.

Then they could make the pledge higher. I don't think that, for the people who pay 250$ or more, asking for a 360 or PS3 physical copy is asking too much.

You can't just order x number of discs to be pressed, though, where x is something like 2k-3k. The companies that press these generally require them to be bought in bulk so as to meet their economies of scale. It's like turning an entire oil refinery on just to run the desk lamp in your office. As a result, small scale prints are actually a lot more expensive per disc than large scale. It's why a company like Wal-mart can make so much money.

Busaiku

It's already been stated that Abstraction would be doing the 3DS/Vita game.
I also doubt Comcept would be handling the PS4/One port themselves, since they stated outright that they don't have the experience.

Yeah some of the stretch goals are a bit wonky...you think they'd move some around that makes more sense for the development cycle.

Edit: By that I mean make the documentary and challenge mode/boss rush stuff secondary to something more integral to gameplay like support characters or extra stages.

They did a good job of setting the goals at places that would generate greater amounts of funding. Though they may appear to be out of line with the development cycle, they are meant to keep the funding from petering out once the logical goals are reached. It has worked. This is one of the most successful kickstarters that I have ever seen

GuardianE said:
Are you somehow implying that New Game+ is something that started with Demon's Souls?

Not sure what kind of reaction you want from me but, I'll uh entertain your comment.

Obviously being the age that I am, I fully understand that this concept has been around for quite a while (Legend of Zelda) however, let's not pretend like this is not a trend in current game development(because it is), especially indy games. I have had a sort of argument about this in the LaMulana 2 thread and my opinion is the same. At least in the old days, the way I remember it, it wasn't a huge selling point. Ok so I beat metroid.. ok I got the bailey suit... great. This should not be a stretch goal by any means.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
New update

2,768,856 as of 18:06 GMT
54,395 as of 7:01pm PST Fri, 9/27

Total - 2,823,251

Still 676,749 before reaching the 3DS/Vita stretch.

As a matter of fact, why in the hell is there a new game + mode to begin with, and does anybody else have a problem with it? I feel it would be a successful mode if the games mechanics required it(leveling system) and like the example I love to use (DS), has characters that scale a little higher when you go through your next run. Will this be something that will happen in this game(leveling/scalable baddies)?

I don't see the purpose in it. Especially being a megaman-esque game. I understand that there are no details on this as of yet but, this should probably be addressed. Does this mean the game will be harder and I would have to start over with no powerups? Does it mean that specific items will be placed in different areas? Does it mean the stages will be different through the second, third, and fourth runs?

kickstarter said:
If we pass this goal, we’ll design a New Game Plus mode that allows those who finish the game but are still thirsty for more to carry over certain powers or items from the first play-through for a more challenging “second quest” version of the game.

After looking at this... this should be something that is done way down the line. They should focus on the intial playthrough, then if they have time, money, and resources etc... work on a new game +

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
New Game+ is amazing and needs to be in more games.

Not sure what kind of reaction you want from me but, I'll uh entertain your comment.

Obviously being the age that I am, I fully understand that this concept has been around for quite a while (Legend of Zelda) however, let's not pretend like this is not a trend in current game development(because it is), especially indy games. I have had a sort of argument about this in the LaMulana 2 thread and my opinion is the same. At least in the old days, the way I remember it, it wasn't a huge selling point. Ok so I beat metroid.. ok I got the bailey suit... great. This should not be a stretch goal by any means.

Your implication is that Demon's Souls somehow revived New Game+ as a feature in modern gaming. It's actually a pretty common feature in Japanese games... and certainly in character action games. It hasn't gone anywhere.

It should be in the game, as much as the extra boss/level should be in the game. As for it being a selling point, I dunno. I really don't see how the stretch goal order would be something that would cause you to delevel your pledge. It just seems counterintuitive. Co-op mode will be reached. And frankly, I think that there's a very good chance we'll reach the portable stretch goal, too. Especially since they've opened Paypal donations.

The more I think about it, the more I think PS3/360/WiiU goals should have been last not first.

Surerly its going to take more dev time to downgrade a PC port for current gen consoles, all with seperate and awkward architectures, than it is to port the game, mostly intact, to PS4, Xbone and Vita which should be a measure more dev friendly?

You can argue experience, but by 2015 i would imagine there will be any number of work for hire studios that could do the port for them.

Im going to get shit on for this, but I feel this kickstarter is funding the cash reserves of Comcept itself, rather than soley focused on Mighty no 9 as a product.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Surerly its going to take more dev time to downgrade a PC port for current gen consoles, all with seperate and awkward architectures, than it is to port the game, mostly intact, to PS4, Xbone and Vita which should be a measure more dev friendly?

How resource heavy do you think this game is going to be?

I will give you that next gen porting shouldn't be too difficult considering the architecture of the systems, though.

Psxphile

Obviously being the age that I am, I fully understand that this concept has been around for quite a while (Legend of Zelda)

I just about spat out my drink in the rush to correct you, and then I realized that... yes, Zelda II *did* allow you to restart your game with all your experience, levels, magic and skills intact. It wasn't called New Game + then (the term was coined by Chrono Trigger) but that's essentially what it was.

As a matter of fact, why in the hell is there a new game + mode to begin with, and does anybody else have a problem with it?

Why would anyone have a problem with a choice? I thought it was only a problem when gamers aren't given choices?

Busaiku

The game was likely being made with 360/PS3/Wii U in mind, since that was the only other console stretch goal initially, I highly doubt they're aiming for high end stuff.
I doubt they'd even handle the PS4/One ports.

How resource heavy do you think this game is going to be?

I will give you that next gen porting shouldn't be too difficult considering the architecture of the systems, though.

I dont think its going to be very resource heavy. Thats kinda the

point.

But I still contend that its probably still going to be eaiser to port to the 3DS (because more mature tools) and the Vita (far more dev friendly) than something like the Wii U.

And the PS360 having much different architectures are going to take more time to get on par than PS4/xbone because the game will require much less optimisation of the PC code.

The game was likely being made with 360/PS3/Wii U in mind, since that was the only other console stretch goal initially, I highly doubt they're aiming for high end stuff.
I doubt they'd even handle the PS4/One ports.

Id argue if that would true they would of put those versions above PC.

And like I said, they dont need to do it themselves anyway.

GuardianE said:
Your implication is that Demon's Souls somehow revived New Game+ as a feature in modern gaming. It's actually a pretty common feature in Japanese games... and certainly in character action games. It hasn't gone anywhere.

We have already established this concept has been around for decades. However, my point is that when Demons Souls dropped, its biggest selling points was it's difficulty and New game plus. However, the way it is implemented in that game having that mode would make perfect sense. For this kind of game, I'm not so sure. Maybe our definitions on what new game + is different.

GuardianE said:
It should be in the game, as much as the extra boss/level should be in the game. As for it being a selling point, I dunno. I really don't see how the stretch goal order would be something that would cause you to delevel your pledge. It just seems counterintuitive. Co-op mode will be reached. And frankly, I think that there's a very good chance we'll reach the portable stretch goal, too. Especially since they've opened Paypal donations

Well as a backer, I am concerned about where they are going with their stretch goals. I don't mind going down to something like 5 dollars even and just show support and take a wait and see approach to how the game does.

That is what it has been, a selling point, should not be a stretch goal by any means. I am thinking about the workflow here, when are they going to start on this? I feel it should be a given, and I don't like the idea of an 'a la carte' style for modes in the game that should be a given, which this kind of seems like it's doing especially with basic modes like "support" or new game +.

Psxphile said:
I just about spat out my drink in the rush to correct you, and then I realized that... yes, Zelda II *did* allow you to restart your game with all your experience, levels, magic and skills intact. It wasn't called New Game + then (the term was coined by Chrono Trigger) but that's essentially what it was.

I don't believe there is anything really to correct. Playing a new game once it is completed that is either different or more difficult is considered "new game +". Zelda 1(which is what I actually meant; I never said Zelda 2) you either entered a code(believe it was Zelda) or completed your game, and started a new game (from what I can remember) and the game was totally different with items and dungeons in different areas.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
That is what it has been, a selling point, should not be a stretch goal by any means. I am thinking about the workflow here, when are they going to start on this? I feel it should be a given, and I don't like the idea of an 'a la carte' style for modes in the game that should be a given, which this kind of seems like it's doing especially with basic modes like "support" or new game +.
I really doubt these modes as stretch goals are anything more than a way to push more pledges and eliminate large gaps between the real stretch goals. In other words, NG+/boss rush/support character/etc were getting included if they reached those goals or not.

Well that's what I figured the handheld and next gen stretch goals should be. I mean if the game does noticeably well, then we can talk about things like ports.

SkyOdin

I don't believe there is anything really to correct. Playing a new game once it is completed that is either different or more difficult is considered "new game +". Zelda 1(which is what I actually meant; I never said Zelda 2) you either entered a code(believe it was Zelda) or completed your game, and started a new game (from what I can remember) and the game was totally different with items and dungeons in different areas.

Actually, what defines "New Game +" is the ability to carry over progress/levels/items from one playthrough of a game into another, and it has no inherent implication of changing the difficulty. The concept really took off with Chrono Trigger, which lent its name to the mode. What you are talking about is a "second quest", which is a somewhat related, but different game concept. A "second quest" (which draws its name from Zelda 1, as you cite) is when the game is significantly remixed on a second playthrough, but doesn't come with the implication of carried over progress.

The principle implementation of a New Game + mode in Mighty No. 9 would be the ability to carry over collectables, boss weapons, and so forth from one playthrough to another. I think the Mega Man Zero and ZX games have some variant of this. I believe you could carry your Cyber-Elves over New Game + style in Zero 1 and 2.

Top Bottom