• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

ouch, missed that the delivery date was 1,5 years away

Just think of it as buying future you a present. Who knows, in 2015 you could be a despondent, broke drug addict living on the streets with nothing but a 2DS to your name, and then one day *bang!* this appears out of the ether as a gift from past-you, reminding you of the way things once were, and can be again.

IrishNinja

3.45. 50k or so left. It's done in an hour.

fd3daa48e156f69db17baa090e29e6b1.jpeg

gonna look so purdy on OLED

Just think of it as buying future you a present. Who knows, in 2015 you could be a despondent, broke drug addict living on the streets with nothing but a 2DS to your name, and then one day *bang!* this appears out of the ether as a gift from past-you, reminding you of the way things once were, and can be again.

haha i'm totally doing this, no way i remember this shit unless im paying attention to GAF that week. gonna be a great surprise to future me!

Raitaro

Backed, Xbox One co-op mode sold me

Backed this and Ghost Song...

Metroid and Mega Man.. in 2014!

..Since the real owners wont do it themselves ; )

Not to dampen the spirits here too much, but a part of me fears that both of these games - because of their succes and likeness - will actually decrease the chance that Capcom or Nintendo will develop a new Mega Man or Metroid. Why would they bother now that there are already solid products on their way for fans of those style of games? The bar would also be raised far higher in a way as those official games would have to be either very different (thereby alientating the fans again) or be very similar and at least equally as good. (Mind you, for me it's all good as long as these indie games will truly be able to scratch the itch for such games. But still, it would be nice to get official Metroid / Mega Man products at some time as well if only because their brands still hold some nostalgic power.)

And one other last hypothetical thought: What if Capcom actually contacted Inafune to request him to use the Mega Man brand without him having to adjust the game's design in any way? He could call it Mega Man Next or Mega Man Neon or something. How would people feel about that? I mean, the chance that Capcom will ever be able to assemble a more authentic Mega Man team to develop a game for themselves that equals this project is pretty much zero. At this point the best they could probably do (apart from the unlikely scenario of them suing Comcept or the likely scenario of them doing nothing Mega Man related at all), pride be damned, is jump on fully board, no?

Anyway: may the Mega Mighty Hype Train keep on going! (At some point it will become one of those space trains from Leiji Matsumoto's Galaxy Express series!)

Zen

Banned
I don't think he would go for. I;m sure the whole team feels like Mighty no9 is there's and they're talkign the spirit and emotion of classic MegaMan with them away from Capcom. If Capcom came to them and said 'we'll pay you to make this a MegaMan game', they'd end up not only losing control over their own characters adn such, but in effect ceeding long term prospects of being able to make these games to the whims of a company that didn't care enough to actually make them in the first place. Worse yet that they canned every project Inafune was involved with when he departed from Capcom , especially the cancellation of MegaMan Legends 3, being the title that Inafune had wanted to make a reality for over a decade.

And they certainly will not get involved. Capcom doesn't need Mighty no9/MegaMan anymore than Mighty no9 needs Capcom. If anything the success of these projects might spark interest internally for the companies that these games have been inspired by,

I'm pretty sure Inafune would be more like to outright reject ANY capcom involvement more than he would accept it.

Awyeah, let's go. No way this game ain't 60fps.

8Ya6.gif

Well it's also just pre-visualization stuff. Will look very primitive compared to the final game.

I sat down and started playing through MegaMan 9 today, so good. The formula still works and I can't wait to see Mighty no9 succeed.

Speaking of that, between all the concept art we've seen of no9 taking on various forms and the effect his 'buster' has, it looks like he's a robot that re-arranges matter, and in the case of his buster, destabilizes it. They've also said that it won't be just the other might 8 that he can emulate, I just hope that it works out much better than MegaMan ZX!

mclem

That's not enough! Plus it being on Unreal killed all my interest in playing it on either of my handhelds.

I've worked on handheld ports that we moved to our native engine because ours worked well on handhelds, when the original wasn't really up to it (at least, as I understand it; we didn't make the original versions). I wouldn't be too surprised if the devs covering the handheld versions are working with the same philosophy; in short, it might not actually be Unreal on handhelds.

Rhapsody

Banned
I had put off donating until now because Paypal funds finally went in. Donated 60 bucks.

Sadly I'll have to pass on all those awesome physical goodies. : /

jpax

Sorry if it had been asked before but the thread is quite long.
When they say you can pick one version they are not really meaning that I have to choose between a Linux and a Windows version, right? If I get the steam version, I should get Windows, Mac and Linux versions, correct?

Thank you

mclem

Hopefully this is enough money to support this many versions of the game. I'm cautiously excited, but skeptical that with all the stretch goals that have been met, that they'll have enough money to get this thing in at the $3.5 million that this should finish at. The Double Fine kickstarter is a framework of a game that grew too large for what the developer was expecting and that game has been stretched hard. CLANG is an example of a game that took a risk and didn't payoff, though I highly doubt that if they needed help of a publisher for more money, they wouldn't easily get it.

There aren't actually *that* many places where the core design of the game has expanded. Boss Rush mode is fairly trivial to add, and depending on what exactly it entails, Challenge mode might not be too tough to add, New Game Plus ought to be fairly easy. The main ways the money has expanded the design has been in the form of extra levels; two extra levels and bosses (which were always core to the planning stage anyway), an intro stage, an end stage and (potentially) a Call stage.

The issue with DFA was that its scope wasn't solidly defined from the very outset. From an artistic sense, that's great - free reign to design whatever you want. From a development sense, though, it's difficult, because it's easy for the scope to expand beyond the budget. Compare that to this project, where the scale has been locked down early on, with clear and well-defined additions to it.

Besides which, it's worth bearing in mind that the original budget was $900k, which they stated clearly wasn't enough, but they had outside funding. With this much budget, they've got a lot more free reign *before* needing to tap into that outside fund, but have that to fall back on if necessary, provided they take care with it.

Varth

And one other last hypothetical thought: What if Capcom actually contacted Inafune to request him to use the Mega Man brand without him having to adjust the game's design in any way? He could call it Mega Man Next or Mega Man Neon or something. How would people feel about that?

I think it's perfectly possible, and I think that Inafune would give them a big, fat middle finger. Then, of course, it all would come to Capcom's lawyers and how much Capcom wants to halt this, and make itself even more detestable.

As for fans? I don't know, really. In some way, I'd like this to go its own way, but this doesn't seem to have much of a personality. Of course it's not like it's a rip-off, the people behind it are the same, so it's more of a continuation of a series in another name. I think it wouldn't matter to fans that only want to play the game, but it would be a bad milestone for KS projects, and would piss off to no end those who backed the project also, if not primarily, to send a message to Capcom and other big publishers about letting good series rot.

Anyone here also backing Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero?

/raises hand. Also funded H Hour. Partying like it's 2002 here :D

mclem

Other than the PC-version-on-USB-stick, there's been no mention of being able to purchase a second version on a different platform by upping your pledge, has there? I'd quite like this on the move as well as on a console.

Wow we're at $3,344,279 and there is still 15 hours to go. I wasn't confident, but we might get a 3DS and a Vita port after all, I'd really like to play this game on Vita!

OmegaDL50

Only 30,000 to go til we get 3DS and Vita version.

So getting to 3.7 Million doesn't seem that unrealistic. Another 200,000 in 13 hours seems feasible.

I'd think they would have already announced the final stretch goal being that it's the last day and all, almost the last 12 hours even.

Ravek

Banned
If I'm right, we need roughly 32k for Vita/3DS.

So 232k for "The Call Round of Death"

So getting to 3.7 Million doesn't seem that unrealistic. Another 200,000 in 13 hours seems feasible.

I'd think they would have already announced the final stretch goal being that it's the last day and all, almost the last 12 hours even.

They will prob announce it once Vita and 3DS is confirmed.

Xater

Yeah, what's with this dumb fps speculation? Especially based on this proof of concept which represents basically nothing. It's just an engine test.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Yah. Who knows, it might help reach the call stage stretch goal with the final announcement.

I Just pledged $40 to it

Qurupeke

Sooo, I guess handhelds are pretty much confirmed now! :D Well, I hope it will reach every stretch goa. I can't wait to double dip for this.

I upped my pledge to from $20 to $60 for those in-game exclusives. Damn games with their in-game exclusives, they always get me.

If I get the 3DS version, would it have the exclusive transformation and golden Beck or would that only be PC... I guess they could classify it as DLC and give me that DLC.

goldenpp72

Upped my pledge to 86 dollars for the physical box/manual and physical pc game disc, hopefully it comes with a case too or something :p

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wow, wake up to find we're almost 15,000 away from the handheld versions with still 12 hours left. Hopefully they'll update the Paypal this morning once more time.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Yesterday it did $300K (KS+PayPal) and so far today it's done $120K in 8 hours? Nice. 12 hours 13 minutes left.

Raitaro

...wait, why youse guys talkin bout Metroid, did one of those happen too

We were referring to this Kickstarter for Ghost Song - a Metroidvania-esque action platformer with a creepy atmosphere. I tried to promote this game in this thread as well, so hopefully you haven't missed it (though it has been succesfully funded).

Zalman

Does every single backer get his/her name in the ending credits of the game? Because if so, that's going to be a looong list. :p

Top Bottom