• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

How much money do you think this will get when all is said and done?
130k in a couple of hours seems crazy to me

Also, DAT MUSIC

If they make it to 3.3 mil I hope they film a special vid for Tim Schaefer about the importance of having a clear vision and work ethic

joe2187

Banned
Speaking of Comcept, I hope they get to make more games down the line.

I've been playing a shit ton of Soul Sacrifice, such an underrated game, very unique and a ton of fun.

Besides Sweet fuse, SS, and Ninja Gaiden Z, whatever happened to the King of the Pirates game Inafune was working on?

duckroll

That one concept that looks like a screenshot (it's not) looks entirely 2D to me, but this answer on the Kickstarter makes it sound like it will look different. More like Mega Man Powered Up perhaps?

Maybe they can make 3D which looks like this. :p

DZkwO18.jpg

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

That one concept that looks like a screenshot (it's not) looks entirely 2D to me, but this answer on the Kickstarter makes it sound like it will look different. More like Mega Man Powered Up perhaps?

A lot can be done these days with the right style of cel shading and modeling style. I wouldn't mind seeing them go for the style in the 2D mock-up but translated into 3D with heavy marker lines as a shader on the characters.

Aeana

Oh man. This is great. I backed $60 for the moment but I am pretty sure I'm going to raise that considerably. Just need to check some stuff first. (._. )

Drago

$125k/$990k? :p

I'm really hoping this somehow makes it to 2.5 mil. Seeing the momentum it has now I think I can actually see it happening.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
And now that it's had time to settle I think Mighty No. 9 is one of the best names I've heard in a long time. More than just Mega Man-esque it sounds classy and like a reference to a load of golden age anime and manga. Not the least of which is Astro Boy.

Biker19

Banned
I'm all for it. :)

Though personally, Keiji Inafune or someone should've just took away all of the rights of the entire Rockman series away from Capcom & let another 3rd party publisher like Namco-Bandai have the rights to them.

SparkTR

I hate it because of Double Fine, and that Trolls Susan debacle.

And Basically people don't want to take risks, and risk free investments lack the same passion, they are too safey.

Anyways, debating with the pillow if I pledge this today or later.

There's way more good than bad, it played a key part in the cRPG and space sim revival and there's a ton of interesting projects that exist because of it.

TheOGB

Banned

If not the Powered Up route they should totally talk to Mike Z/Lab Zero Games to find out how they do the lighting on sprites in Skullgirls

And now that it's had time to settle I think Mighty No. 9 is one of the best names I've heard in a long time. More than just Mega Man-esque it sounds classy and like a reference to a load of golden age anime and manga. Not the least of which is Astro Boy.
It's very specifically mentioning Cyborg 009, the famed Ishinomori manga. Maybe the general premise/plot/setting will reflect that influence, too—maybe Beck himself is a cyborg or some amalgam of parts that came about due to emergency. That'd be an interesting change from Rockman being built by a definite creator.

DMiz

That would be really dumb and pointless.

Why not, though?

From Nintendo's perspective:
  • The Mighty No. 9, while coming from a proven director and figure of the gaming industry, is not necessarily a sure-seller. It will have immediate pull among fans that recognize the Mega Man brand, but I think we all can see that Nintendo requires more than just the hardcore support for the Wii U.
  • Going back to the prevoius item, Nintendo heavily depends on third parties giving them the time of day. Although they may have landed themselves a deal with Capcom for both Monster Hunter 4 on 3DS, as well as a cameo appearance for Mega Man in Smash Bros., a continued partnership is absolutely necessary to ensure that they are not the only ones supplying games to the Wii U.
  • Having Nintendo maintain a policy in which the Mighty No. 9 does not appear on Nintendo systems is a quiet, non-obvious way for Capcom to get 'even' without outright calling for a cease-and-desist measure against the project. This doesn't blockade the game getting greenlit on the other two systems, but it's, again, a way for them to essentially stop it in petty ways without having a large, publicly available spread of effect.

Just some thoughts. Would it effect the sales of Mighty No. 9? Not in the slightest - the prime platform here is PC.

Would it affect the sales of Smash Bros? No, of course not, and I didn't insinuate that in my original post.

The thought here is wondering if Capcom will take a 'lower', quieter method of retaliation to signal to Inafune that they are less than impressed.

Edit: Regardless, backed. I love Mega Man and look forward to his non-return.

God... reading the kickstarter fully now... They are going back and doing exactly what they did with MML3. The polls, helping design characters/enemies/etc... I'm literally crying man tears right now. It's not MML3... but damn there could be no better consolation prize than this. I have to scrounge up some additional money. My current donation isn't enough.

Teknoman

I backed Pier Solar for the Dreamcast version, but Kickstarter doesnt take your money until the project is actually funded right?

squall23

I'm all for it. :)

Though personally, Keiji Inafune or someone should've just took away all of the rights of the entire Rockman series away from Capcom & let another 3rd party publisher like Namco-Bandai have the rights to them.
This isn't how the world works sadly. Most creators just don't have the money to buy back their own work from their publishers. Otherwise we would've had multiple Megaman games by now and Shenmue 3 and a 2nd season to Undergrads.

This looks so rad! Really want this for my Wii U, but $2.5 million is a really lofty goal. It might happen though, it broke 100k amazingly fast.

JordanN

Banned
If not the Powered Up route they should totally talk to Mike Z/Lab Zero Games to find out how they do the lighting on sprites in Skullgirls
I remember Ravidrath said they used a shader made of per pixel lights + rim lighting.

omg omg omg omg omg

What a pleasant surprise. Backed so hard!!!

g3xUPzD.jpg

O_O

I like it.

I know this is concept art, but holy shit. Wow, this is exactly what I want a new Mega Man game to look like, with high-res art. Reminds me of Rayman Legends / Origins. So good.

Please play like X or Zero!

Top Bottom