• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

duckroll

I'd rather the 2.5mm goal be a 3DS / Vita release instead of console.

For what they're targeting graphically, 3DS does not sound like a valid option. If they do decide to make a console version on PS3 though, I'll be surprised if they don't do a Vita one too, since porting is so easy.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
I don't tend to follow Kickstarters much... but is the funding rate going on here a record, or something? 150K in less than three hours seems pretty awesome.

Intersting. So the same guy that ripped off of Astroboy is now ripping off of himself :p

Anyway, love Megaman so I have no choice but to love this as well.

epmode

I don't tend to follow Kickstarters much... but is the funding rate going on here a record, or something? 150K in less than three hours seems pretty awesome.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/#chart-daily

Torment: Tides of Numenera made its $900,000 goal in six hours. Project Eternity and Double Fine Adventure had similar funding rates. Star Citizen may also be close but it's hard to get numbers since the funding was split between Kickstarter and their own site.

For what they're targeting graphically, 3DS does not sound like a valid option. If they do decide to make a console version on PS3 though, I'll be surprised if they don't do a Vita one too, since porting is so easy.
I totally wouldn't mind them doing a Vita version if they can't do 3DS, as long as I have a way of playing on the go.

Teppic

The way you can transform in the game sounds really interesting.
UCb13ue.jpg

PC via Steam, and then stretch goals leading to a PS3/360/Wii-U release. I just wrote a HEFTY letter to their team inquiring about a PS4 version (which I REALLY want).

Yup. This game would be perfect utilizing Vita/PS4 cross-play/cross-buy/remote play. 2D games are very handheld control friendly.

SparkTR

It's good, but there's been other successful things. I believe Torment got over 1 million in funding in less than 7 hours, and Star Citizen is closing in on 17 million.

The way you can transform in the game sounds really interesting.

Sounds like an evolution of the Z knuckles from MMZ4. Mite b cool

And the PS4 version will be Mighty Mr. Y , set 500 years in the future of MN9. The agents of the Lambda empire are all based on fruit.

Sandfox

Why not, though?

From Nintendo's perspective:
  • The Mighty No. 9, while coming from a proven director and figure of the gaming industry, is not necessarily a sure-seller. It will have immediate pull among fans that recognize the Mega Man brand, but I think we all can see that Nintendo requires more than just the hardcore support for the Wii U.
  • Going back to the prevoius item, Nintendo heavily depends on third parties giving them the time of day. Although they may have landed themselves a deal with Capcom for both Monster Hunter 4 on 3DS, as well as a cameo appearance for Mega Man in Smash Bros., a continued partnership is absolutely necessary to ensure that they are not the only ones supplying games to the Wii U.
  • Having Nintendo maintain a policy in which the Mighty No. 9 does not appear on Nintendo systems is a quiet, non-obvious way for Capcom to get 'even' without outright calling for a cease-and-desist measure against the project. This doesn't blockade the game getting greenlit on the other two systems, but it's, again, a way for them to essentially stop it in petty ways without having a large, publicly available spread of effect.

Just some thoughts. Would it effect the sales of Mighty No. 9? Not in the slightest - the prime platform here is PC.

Would it affect the sales of Smash Bros? No, of course not, and I didn't insinuate that in my original post.

The thought here is wondering if Capcom will take a 'lower', quieter method of retaliation to signal to Inafune that they are less than impressed.

Edit: Regardless, backed. I love Mega Man and look forward to his non-return.

I meant it would be dumb and pointless for Capcom to ask that. Why should they need to retaliate?

This was announced fairly late at night too. I think by tomorrow morning the numbers will start going really fast.

6pm PST/9PM EST aren't the best times for the US or Europe to get in on this.

omg omg omg omg omg

What a pleasant surprise. Backed so hard!!!

I know this is concept art, but holy shit. Wow, this is exactly what I want a new Mega Man game to look like, with high-res art. Reminds me of Rayman Legends / Origins. So good.

Please play like X or Zero!

It's going to be made by Inti Creates :)

Kickstarter is one of the best things to happen for gaming.

Allowing developers to have control over their games and what they want to do without being pressured or at the mercy of publishers that want them to chase market trends, hell yeah! I'm a firm supporter of KickStarter. Where as KickStarter is one of the best things to happen for gaming, executive meddling and fat cat rule is the worst thing to happen to gaming. At least KickStarter is a rule by the people(gamers and fans alike)!!!

Busaiku

This was announced fairly late at night too. I think by tomorrow morning the numbers will start going really fast.

6pm PST/9PM EST aren't the best times for the US or Europe to get in on this.

Hopefully those guys with the shirts walk around all day tomorrow.

Servbot24

Banned
I'll donate once it becomes clear that it will hit the stretch goal for the Mac version.

Out here in the Macintosh ghetto :/

KurowaSan

Weird not having PS4/XONE in the list. By April 2015, the target audience of this game, which is hardcore gamers, would have already moved to next generation consoles.

Also, this types of games are perfect for handheld systems, so why not Vita/3DS as well.

Regiruler

It's like Shovel Knight brought about 10 different self-fulfilling prophecies.
Weird not having PS4/XONE in the list. By April 2015, the target audience of this game, which is hardcore gamers, would have already moved to next generation consoles.

Also, this types of games are perfect for handheld systems, so why not Vita/3DS as well.
There's would still be a Wii U version. Although 2.5 mil is ridiculous.

epmode

I'll donate once it becomes clear that it will hit the stretch goal for the Mac version.

Pledge now and pull your money if the goal isn't reached in time. You don't get charged until the end of the campaign.

This way, the total goes higher, more people feel confident about backing so more people back, etc.

Busaiku

Out here in the Macintosh ghetto :/

You aren't charged till the funding period ends, so you can throw your money, but if it doesn't hit your goal, you can still withdraw.
EDIT - Beaten.

Damn... these pics are so good it makes even me want to change my avatar... But my wife made this... she'd think I was cheating on her with Inafune....

This is seriously the most I've smiled at video gaming news since MML3 was first announced for 3DS.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Oh man. This is great. I backed $60 for the moment but I am pretty sure I'm going to raise that considerably. Just need to check some stuff first. (._. )

That's where I'm at but I could see myself going for the $175 tier.

ZoddGutts

Suzuki - shenmue rights
Sakaguchi - might be a fit here? i don't think MS has any ties to his studio now
Platinum - i dunno, maybe they're still hoping to get bought by nintendo or somebody

to what extent do japanese devs know about KS?

Matsuno needs to create a Kickstarter RPG. A Matsuno RPG without the interference of upper management, yes please.

Are the dark ages finally at an end?

I hope. Really, rarely do games get me this excited. Especially after the some odd years of disappointment, my jaded heart has grown cold. But little things like this(among others, the earlier announcement of Duck Tales Remastered, which I'm currently loving, as well as projects like Shovel Knight, A Hat in Time and such) really make me feel like a kid again. It makes me feel the way I did when I actually anticipated games. Wow!

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
That one concept that looks like a screenshot (it's not) looks entirely 2D to me, but this answer on the Kickstarter makes it sound like it will look different. More like Mega Man Powered Up perhaps?
Absolutely more like MMPU. Check the video at 4:07 for a preliminary model of Beck:

8bFUggt.jpg

Just as a heads-up to anyone who saw that mockup screenshot and got the idea that the game will be 2D ala Skullgirls or Rayman Origins/Legends*. That is not the case.

* there are some 3D elements in Legends that use painterly textures to blend in better with the 2D sprites; I don't think there's gonna be much of that in M#9 either

SparkTR

Capcom must be kicking itself, watching the money come in. They blew it.

They aren't, this amount of money is small change to them. Hell, even those cRPG kickstarters were small change to publishers and they made over 4 million.

What will get publishers attention is sales after it releases. Ubisoft ignored the PC RPG market even though the kickstarters were a success, but only after Legend of Grimrock sold 600k copies they decided to greenlight Might & Magic X.

Top Bottom